Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2013, 09:04 AM   #1411
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindroproses View Post
Nope, I don't take any BP meds... just Levothyroxine (ugh, and I'm not actually sure if that pill actually CONTAINS sodium or not given the name) and Nuvaring. My doctor has been letting me try to control my BP on my own for now, and if it started to go down instead of up he'd let me forego the medicine thankfully.

I'm not sure what's going on with me honestly! I find that if I have more than 2000mg of sodium a day I'll start retaining water like crazy... it's got to be the sodium, because it's happened every time I've had higher sodium days and it seems to begin clearing up right after I drop it back down to the 1000-something range.

Right now I'm taking one 99mg potassium supplement, just to help out with my normal diet because I figured I may need some. I don't eat REALLY potassium rich foods very often at all (sometimes, rarely, avocadoes... but never bananas or coconut water) so it seems like I may be lacking a bit. It'll be a bit before I can actually see someone to run labs for me though, so this is all careful speculation on my part mostly... that and I saw people on here recommending I take magnesium, potassium, and calcium for women's issues as well
If ≤2g of sodium was not enough and your body was shedding potassium because of it you should experience cramps in your legs and maybe hands/fingers.

Your doc knows that you are LC? You should mention the sodium/potassium thing on your next visit. Hopefully the doc isn't antagonistic about low carb.

And crosscheck your meds before adding any supplement for sure.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2013, 09:05 AM   #1412
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasschus View Post
Last Wednesday: 195.3
Today: 192.9
2.4 pounds down this week.
Yay!!
Yahoo!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindroproses View Post
Back down a half pound this morning to 159.5 again... I swear the scale is driving me nuts lately
YeeHAW!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Weigh-in this morning ... 197.4
Awesome!
Old 03-27-2013, 09:08 AM   #1413
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
A water bounce
Yeah, no sweat. I skipped that number going by the first time anyway.
This is my week for extra water weight gain anyway.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:14 AM   #1414
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasschus View Post
Hmmmm.....I don't remember reading that. I'll go back and check. I've highlighted and underlined that book to death.

Kent Altena at Atkins Diet Geek is a marathoner and the only thing he uses is electrolytes. No GU or anything. He's always more than happy to answer questions too. Nice guy. Just google his blog or look him up on FB.

Congrats on all the losses, y'all! One time it's actually appropriate to be happy for someone losing something. Hehehe

Kelly
Well, I was pretty danged skeptical when the guy said it. The context of the conversation was his assertion that he was NK and keto-adapted (after just a week or two I think) but was using carbs for an energy source. I said that isn't NK. His rejoinder was, paraphrased, 'yup it is in the Performance book'.

I'll see if I can find the thread.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:27 AM   #1415
Major LCF Poster!

I have been taking 450 mg of Magnesium at night. Last night I had the bright idea to add another 225 mg pill(so 675). Bad idea. My tummy woke me up an hour later.
Wonder if I should still try to slowly increase my dosage or just stay at 450?
Old 03-27-2013, 10:48 AM   #1416
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Joyone
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzcase View Post
Yes, water weight! Strange, since I had about 100 grams of sugar yesterday-- I ate 3 flavored Chobani yogurts topped with TONS of almond butter with added flax seeds. I am honestly shocked that I dropped weight, I was expecting a gain since I'm obviously out of ketosis and holding onto water at this point..

In the back of my mind, I'm wondering if the running I've been ramping up lately has something to do with the fact I seem way more tolerant to carbs lately?

Also oddly enough, I am not at all hungry this morning. Usually by this point I've had coffee, bouillon with cream, and bacon and eggs. Not so hungry though, bringing the chicken broth with my on the commute to school, and an ounce of macadamia nuts to get me through the day before I get home at 6:30 this evening.

We will see.
Hmmm. Okay - so over the past few days my friend and I - both doing NK - cheated big time (someone asked if they could store all their easter candy for the kids at my place, I said sure why not I would NEVER cheat. My other friend came over for a movie the next night and I mentioned the candy and that was it - we were both toast. :-/). We cheated a LOT - candy one day ( we replaced it the next morning lol - kids are going to be fine) and then griddled ciabatta the next day, and perhaps some fries (yikes) and I'm sure I'm forgetting other stuff.

Yesterday we were both perfect on NK...and yesterday afternoon I realized my tummy felt a lot trimmer...no bloat which I have had for a week or two. I looked in the mirror and my face looked slimmer too. I asked my friend if she felt slimmer after the cheat and she said she was going to ask me the same thing!!!

So then I come on here to see if anyone has had this happen and I saw the post above.

Why would water weight go way DOWN after cheating?? I can't tell if I have stayed the same (unbloated) or not today...maybe a little up again but not sure.

I experience this same phenomenon when starting out NK or Atkins...I lose a ton of water intially and then even though I am not cheating (I don't even have dairy and only use liquid stevia occasionally and only carbs are veggies and less than 10carbs of those, make my own sausage etc.) I find the water weight creeps back up again and/or I stall.

I don't weigh so not sure what happened weight wise...I do measure but not often enough to see what happened over the past few days.

Thoughts, anyone?
Old 03-27-2013, 10:51 AM   #1417
Junior LCF Member

ps - congrats on all the losses, everyone!!!
Old 03-27-2013, 11:19 AM   #1418
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
Quote:
If ≤2g of sodium was not enough and your body was shedding potassium because of it you should experience cramps in your legs and maybe hands/fingers.

Your doc knows that you are LC? You should mention the sodium/potassium thing on your next visit. Hopefully the doc isn't antagonistic about low carb.

And crosscheck your meds before adding any supplement for sure.
Nuvaring has no interactions with supplements, and Levothyroxine I'm supposed to take two hours outside of anything else... so basically no supplements two hours before, and none two hours after. Other than that, I'm okay and even then it's an absorption issue to where the Levo wouldn't be absorbed fully along with other things... and honestly, I'm perfectly okay with that because it's killing me anyway I'm trying to get off of it in favor of NDT currently, but on a LONG wait to see someone who'll prescribe it! I do take all my supplements away from my medicine though, just to be safe

My doctor does know I'm LC. I told him last time I was there everything I cut out, and everything like that and he seemed supportive of whatever was going to help me be healthier which was nice. I do plan on getting some blood tests done to check my levels of different vitamins and minerals, so I'll definitely bring it up... but as far as any sort of muscle cramps, I've been completely free of that since last summer (which was when I was eating VERY poorly and drinking profusely every night ). I've not had any of the induction flu type symptoms a lot of people mention when they're needing sodium, even when I'm closer to 1200mg per day. No muscle cramps, no headaches, nothing like that. So maybe I'm some sort of NK anomaly?
Old 03-27-2013, 11:23 AM   #1419
Blabbermouth!!!

Dunno why water retention didn't happen. Perhaps it takes a consecutive series of high carb cheats over the course of a day to trigger water retention.

The worst thing about a high carb cheat isn't the possible resulting water retention, it is that the cells switch back to expecting glucose for fuel and the adaptation to using fat for fuel has to be redone by the cells. Depending on the nature of the excursion it could take 3 to 5 days or the full 2 to 4 weeks.

I wonder, too, if there isn't a lag time between carbing up and the consequences of it as far as craving carbs a day or two later. Or satiety. Or general feelings of well being.

When I carbed out on a 16oz bag of almonds I did have some serious cravings for more carbs a day or two later. The only thing that saved me is that we really don't have non-wheat carby stuff here and wheat makes me sick so it is not much of a temptation.

Something else to consider is your calorie deficit when you carbed out. Few people maintain a reasonable deficit. I keep mine reasonable but I eat my calories hungry or not. Most people have a huge calorie deficit intentionally or by eating to satiety on an eating plan that stifles hunger signals. So the calories from the carbs are used up with zeal by a body otherwise perpetually starved for energy.

Another interesting thing is insulin sensitivity. LC restores it. So it could be as simple as your body handled the excess carbs the way a person with a normal metabolism would have handled it.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:25 AM   #1420
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
I have been taking 450 mg of Magnesium at night. Last night I had the bright idea to add another 225 mg pill(so 675). Bad idea. My tummy woke me up an hour later.
Wonder if I should still try to slowly increase my dosage or just stay at 450?
I take 800mg to 1000mg daily Cheryl. It is the oxide version so the actual amount absorbed may be way less. If you do up your dose go slow or stock up on magazines for the bathroom heh.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:04 PM   #1421
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lisamt
Stats: 200/187/130
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: December 2012
Quote:
Dunno why water retention didn't happen. Perhaps it takes a consecutive series of high carb cheats over the course of a day to trigger water retention.

The worst thing about a high carb cheat isn't the possible resulting water retention, it is that the cells switch back to expecting glucose for fuel and the adaptation to using fat for fuel has to be redone by the cells. Depending on the nature of the excursion it could take 3 to 5 days or the full 2 to 4 weeks.

I wonder, too, if there isn't a lag time between carbing up and the consequences of it as far as craving carbs a day or two later. Or satiety. Or general feelings of well being.

When I carbed out on a 16oz bag of almonds I did have some serious cravings for more carbs a day or two later. The only thing that saved me is that we really don't have non-wheat carby stuff here and wheat makes me sick so it is not much of a temptation.

Something else to consider is your calorie deficit when you carbed out. Few people maintain a reasonable deficit. I keep mine reasonable but I eat my calories hungry or not. Most people have a huge calorie deficit intentionally or by eating to satiety on an eating plan that stifles hunger signals. So the calories from the carbs are used up with zeal by a body otherwise perpetually starved for energy.

Another interesting thing is insulin sensitivity. LC restores it. So it could be as simple as your body handled the excess carbs the way a person with a normal metabolism would have handled it.

When I had a cheat day a couple weeks ago, it took 2 days for the water weight to show up on the scale and another week for it to go away. I ate 160 g carbs and 1700 calories that day, so while it was high in carbs I didn't go crazy on calories.

You make a good point about insulin sensitivity. I've read posts about people feeling miserable after a cheat day, but this did not happen to me. Maybe part of it is that I can tolerate wheat fairly well.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:21 PM   #1422
Junior LCF Member

Yeah - intuitively I feel that maybe the body drops water to deal with the cheat, but there is no denying you pay for it sooner or later! Happy I was able to get back on board...good lesson for me though...never ever cheat because a) you feel like crap and b) it will lead to more cheats every time. Took me a day or two of intense focus to stop the cheating trend, and I thought I was solid! :-)
Old 03-27-2013, 12:52 PM   #1423
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: robbelkk
Stats: 263/168/150
WOE: Atkins, LCHF, NK, BFC
Start Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by melisa82 View Post
Starting a Fat Fast today (with more calories 1200-1500), to help me get in to ketosis quicker and hopefully help with the cravings and appetite!

B: Coffee w/2oz HWC, CO Oil
L: 40g Walnuts, 4oz Brie Cheese
D: 70g Hard Salami, 58g Boursin Cheese

85/12/2---1497 Calories
This is my plan for Friday/Sat/Sun for sure. How many days will you FF?
Old 03-27-2013, 01:25 PM   #1424
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I take 800mg to 1000mg daily Cheryl. It is the oxide version so the actual amount absorbed may be way less. If you do up your dose go slow or stock up on magazines for the bathroom heh.
LOL
I have recently switched to the citrate version because I read it was the better option. That probably had some to do with it.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:03 PM   #1425
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dasschus
Stats: 250/195/145
WOE: HFLC/nutritional ketosis
Start Date: February 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
LOL
I have recently switched to the citrate version because I read it was the better option. That probably had some to do with it.
I take two citrate capsules at night too. I had read to use that kind from the Protein Power book.
Maybe you just need to get used to it?
Old 03-27-2013, 03:25 PM   #1426
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
Start Date: March 20, 2012
Quote:

Hm, I think for me its the delayed water retention response. I definitely feel bloated today, and I'm almost positive the scale will be up tomorrow.

I didn't drink much liquid after eating the yogurt last night, so it makes sense that I didn't gain water weight. I didn't have any extra water to hold onto last night.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:29 PM   #1427
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Have you read the Performance book Casey? A person in another thread doing Iron Man told me that the Performance book endorsed carbs like those glucose packets that marathon runners use.
No, I haven't. I need to pick it up, but I'm afraid I am way too busy this semester to read it with classes.. maybe in the middle of May I will get around to it when I head home to NJ for a week to see my family.

Also, I have issues with considering myself a real "athlete", so I don't think I'd believe much of the book applied to me.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:29 PM   #1428
Blabbermouth!!!

Food log - Mar 27, 2013

Numbers and log for today.

Calories: 2,318

Fat: 196
Pro: 116
Car: 29

74/21/5

Breakfast: Coffee, CO, HWC.
Lunch: Chicken, cabbage, broth [bouillon, butter, bacon grease].
Dinner: Chicken, butter for dip, cheese.
Snack: HWC floats.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:32 PM   #1429
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
No, I haven't. I need to pick it up, but I'm afraid I am way too busy this semester to read it with classes.. maybe in the middle of May I will get around to it when I head home to NJ for a week to see my family.

Also, I have issues with considering myself a real "athlete", so I don't think I'd believe much of the book applied to me.
I haven't read it but if you do any consistent exercise routine I think the book has content of interest for you.

You could buy it and up your magnesium doses to free up some reading time.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:33 PM   #1430
Senior LCF Member

Todays food:

B:coffee w/ 1T HWC, bouillon w/ 3T HWC
S: 1 oz macadamia nuts
L: bouillon w/ 1T butter, 2 oz cream cheese
S: 1 oz macadamia nuts
D:6 oz burger w/ slice gouda, slice of thick sliced bacon, and 1 oz collards cooked in butter
Bad girl: glass of pinot noir

1619 calories/142g fat/18g carbs (13 net)/52g protein

Definitely retaining water. Not in ketosis yet. Did a fat fast until dinner. Just weighed myself, 137.2... yikes. Hopefully thats a good bit lower by morning.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:33 PM   #1431
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I haven't read it but if you do any consistent exercise routine I think the book has content of interest for you.

Old 03-27-2013, 03:34 PM   #1432
Blabbermouth!!!

I've weighed myself before bed and after getting up and I've seen at least a 7 pound shift over night with bathroom trips and the normal moisture loss that happens when you sleep.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:39 PM   #1433
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

Old 03-27-2013, 03:49 PM   #1434
Major LCF Poster!

Oh Man
I ate too much today.

Calories 1638

Code:
Fat      125  69%
Pro      101   6%
carbs     25  25%
I was a lil hungrier today. But now I am miserable

Last edited by Clueless; 03-27-2013 at 03:52 PM..
Old 03-27-2013, 05:33 PM   #1435
Senior LCF Member

I call 1638 calories a slow Tuesday, Cheryl. Don't sweat it.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:38 PM   #1436
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I call 1638 calories a slow Tuesday, Cheryl. Don't sweat it.
lol Thanks Casey,
I was feelin pretty guilty.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:43 PM   #1437
Blabbermouth!!!

Um. 200 extra calories isn't a huge guilt issue Cheryl lol
Old 03-27-2013, 07:52 PM   #1438
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lisamt
Stats: 200/187/130
Start Date: December 2012
Today was slightly lower in calories, mostly because I didn't have my first meal until noon. I haven't been hungry in the morning the last 2 days, which is kind of weird because I usually stop eating by 6:00 pm. The fasting period between dinner and breakfast is getting longer.

Breakfast - coffee with hwc
Lunch - tuna and egg salad, baby spinach
Dinner - peanut butter & bacon on a LC flatout wrap
Snack - chocolate cream cheese mousse
1476 calories, 129 g fat, 64 g protein, 32 g carbs, 14 g fiber.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:51 PM   #1439
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dasschus
Stats: 250/195/145
WOE: HFLC/nutritional ketosis
Start Date: February 2013
Quote:

I really like the book. It's like the Cliff Notes version of Art and Science of Low Carb Living. It's an easy read and fairly short.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:04 PM   #1440
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
Had a pretty good day today! A bit higher in calories than I'm used to, but I'm hoping since they're from fat instead of carbs and protein it'll be alright

Here's my totals for the day:

1540 calories, 136g fat, 69g protein, 10 total carbs, 1740mg sodium, 2g sugar

79% Fat | 18% Protein | 3% Carbs
Closed Thread