Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2013, 10:29 AM   #1351
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteez View Post
I’ve been avidly researching all day and it looks like I could fit into the ‘dawn phenomenon’ category.

I’m really upset by this slip-up as it’s only my second day at this. I felt so good yesterday; full of energy and no cravings. I’ve been low-carbing for a long time now and know the difference between true hunger and cravings and today was a craving.

I've read 'wheat belly' and lots of books on low-carb eating. I'm at the stage where I know what to do, it's the tweaking that's the problem and I think you've just helped me find another tweak I need to implement.

Thanks for your input reddarin, it’s appreciated.

Better that it was only your second day than 2 weeks in

It will get easier. After your adapted all those irritating cravings disappear.
I used to be ravenous in the mornings, even after eating, that would make me even more hungry. But I had to eat or I would be crabby.
That has all changed with NK. I fell out of NK but was LC around Christmas.
I got back into watching my macros in January. It took me a while but now I feel the difference.
Yesterday I ate 4 lil (1.5 oz) meatballs and a cup of broccoli with dressing for lunch. After diner I thought back and was like, I ate that for lunch? ME? I would have never been able to do that before NK.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2013, 10:30 AM   #1352
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Weigh-in this morning ... 197.7 only a point one bounce hooray heh
Old 03-26-2013, 10:36 AM   #1353
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by helpingrachel View Post
Hi all !

I would love to join this woe and thread. I calculated my numbers and to get to 140 lbs. I found the following information.

2227 total calories.
205 grams of Fat/95gramsprotein/120grams of carbs

Percentages 77/17/5

My question is do I need a 500 calorie subtraction to lose weight or just follow the number 2227 which is the normal calories for someone weighing in at 140.

I weigh 165 right now and would like to embrace the benefits of this way of eating for a lifetime.

I am purchasing the book.
Reading the daily menus.
Selecting a food tracking site with phone app.

Do I need to buy they meter and sticks. I can do that in April if that is so important but not until next payday.

I have a daily vitamin that I take, 1/4 lite salt in water for 350mg of potassium.

I want to say thank you for all the vets that have taken the time to write menus and grocery lists. The wisdom to take the time to share your insights doesn't go unnoticed.

I am open to suggestions and insights if you have any.

Thanks!

Welcome, so glad you are joining in.

I do not use the meter and sticks. Some do but you don't have to. I know that I am in NK because I can feel the difference and tell that I do not have cravings or think about food.
It took me a 4 to 6 weeks maybe longer to get really adapted and be able to tell the difference.
If you want the reassurance you can but the meter but the sticks can be costly I have read.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:10 AM   #1354
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 20, 2012
Quote:
Good question reddarin. I put my info on cron-o-meter and it gives me the answers. LOL.

I've had a bad start today. I had my coffee with double cream and 2 slices of bacon for breakfast. I then had some pork belly and mayo, but developed sugar cravings. I wonder if I had too much protein? I gave in, unfortuantley, and ate around 8 biscuits and 2 slices of bread and peanut butter. I had no cravings yesterday

I find that if I eat too much in the morning I want to binge. I wonder why this is?
More than 30g protein in one sitting drops my blood sugar and makes me crave carbs like crazy. Don't read about it too often, but I KNOW this is what happens to me.

If I know I'm gonna eat a protein heavy meal, I try to make as late in the day as possible, so I can just go to sleep when my blood sugar drops.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:49 AM   #1355
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: amandacj08
Few random thoughts from me, as I begin to fight off a nasty hay fever attack….

Chicken tenders breaded in almond flour and fried are DELISH!
St. Patty’s day was a good time to stock up on Kerrygold as it was on sale at all the local grocery stores , but now I feel like I should ration it.
I tried my hand at coconut bark and Oh Em Gee! Why had I been wasting money on sugar free chocolates??
Fried cabbage is delish, but the reflux it causes is too much for me to bear!
It’s not fair how many carbs marinated artichoke hearts have in them…they are so delicious with Italian sausage!
Chicken thighs mixed with alfredo sauce and broccoli on top of a half of a spaghetti squash and sprinkled with parm cheese and baked until golden is like heaven in your mouth.

Welcome to the newbies, and congrats on the losses and maintains. I have committed to only weigh in once a week (hold me to that guys!), but I’m sure I have bounced (I usually do for the first half of the week). Today will be a challenge to get in all my calories since I feel so crummy – my tummy is turning with drainage. Blech!
Old 03-26-2013, 11:57 AM   #1356
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandacj08 View Post

St. Patty’s day was a good time to stock up on Kerrygold as it was on sale at all the local grocery stores , but now I feel like I should ration it.
I tried my hand at coconut bark and Oh Em Gee! Why had I been wasting money on sugar free chocolates??
It’s not fair how many carbs marinated artichoke hearts have in them…they are so delicious with Italian sausage!
Chicken thighs mixed with alfredo sauce and broccoli on top of a half of a spaghetti squash and sprinkled with parm cheese and baked until golden is like heaven in your mouth.

Welcome to the newbies, and congrats on the losses and maintains. I have committed to only weigh in once a week (hold me to that guys!), but I’m sure I have bounced (I usually do for the first half of the week). Today will be a challenge to get in all my calories since I feel so crummy – my tummy is turning with drainage. Blech!

Hope you feel better!\
Never tried the coconut bark. I will have to see if I can find and easy recipe.
I tried fat bombs but can't find a sweetener I can stand.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:00 PM   #1357
Major LCF Poster!

I will hopefully get to make my first trip to Trader Joes on Friday. Any suggestions on what I should get? I am hoping to find butter from grass fed cows and some sort of sweetener.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:04 PM   #1358
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lisamt
Stats: 200/187/130
Start Date: December 2012
Quote:
Thanks Cheryl

I've been low carb for a while (with horrible crashes) and know what knocks me off my perch. I'm thinking of buying the coconut milk to have in my tea as I do love at least 1 cup a day or I might have it before I go to sleep as it does not affect me at all.

Thanks for the response. x
I don't care for heavy cream in tea, so I've been using unsweetened almond milk. If you're really only using a splash of milk, a couple tablespoons of whole milk would not be a terrible choice.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:15 PM   #1359
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lisamt
Stats: 200/187/130
Start Date: December 2012
Quote:
Hi all !

I would love to join this woe and thread. I calculated my numbers and to get to 140 lbs. I found the following information.

2227 total calories.

Percentages 77/17/5

My question is do I need a 500 calorie subtraction to lose weight or just follow the number 2227 which is the normal calories for someone weighing in at 140.

I weigh 165 right now and would like to embrace the benefits of this way of eating for a lifetime.

Reading the daily menus.

Do I need to buy they meter and sticks. I can do that in April if that is so important but not until next payday.

I have a daily vitamin that I take, 1/4 lite salt in water for 350mg of potassium.

I want to say thank you for all the vets that have taken the time to write menus and grocery lists. The wisdom to take the time to share your insights doesn't go unnoticed.

Thanks!
The calories seem a little high for someone weighing 165. Unless you are doing a LOT of strenuous exercise 4 or 5 days a week, you may not lose eating over 2000 calories.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:22 PM   #1360
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mcteez
@mizzcase: thanks for this. I will research and try just having fat for breakfast. I've ordered CO and hopefully will like it in my coffee. It seems that any solid food will set me off, so a liquid breakfast is my best option.

@Clueless and lisamt: thanks so much for the support. I don't like almond milk but I've tried the coconut milk that is meant for tea and cereal etc and it's nice.

I'm keeping at it and may try the leangains 16/8 fast if I can't have breakfast. I do feel so much better with eating more fat.

Michelle x
Old 03-26-2013, 12:52 PM   #1361
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Hi all !

2227 total calories.

Percentages 77/17/5

Reading the daily menus.

Thanks!
Hi Welcome to our thread

Do you have any health conditions or take any meds? What way of eating are you coming from? Are you new to LC or how long have you been low carb?

You should use 2200 as your start point for calories. You may need to go up or down. Do you exercise? If you do what do you do and how long per day and per week? Exercise can help with weight loss but it is not mandatory and it can have a big impact on not losing weight.

No. You do not need the blood tester and expensive ketone test strips. If you want to use them that is fine too of course. In some situations they can be very helpful in figuring out what isn't working after you've done NK for a bit.

Supplement with magnesium too. Google 'jimmy moore magnesium robbins' for a great podcast about it. Another good podcast on supplements in general - google 'jimmy moore all things vitamin bowden'.

"2227 total calories.

Percentages 77/17/5"

Your macros are out of whack. 95g protein is correct but the carbs grams are a typo. ~95g protein, whatever total carbs under 50g, then fill out the rest of the calories with fat grams.

Just keep in mind that all of the numbers are start points that will probably need to be tweaked once you have some experience with them.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:54 PM   #1362
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
You need a sweetener for the bark too Cheryl. My recipe is 1T of cocoa and 3T of CO then sweetened to taste. Chocolate SF Torani is pretty good as a sweetener. Carmel is good. Vanilla is good too.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:58 PM   #1363
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: melisa82
Stats: 5'6" SW 244 CW Too Much GW 160
WOE: LC
Start Date: 3/27/12
Quote:
I will hopefully get to make my first trip to Trader Joes on Friday. Any suggestions on what I should get? I am hoping to find butter from grass fed cows and some sort of sweetener.
Was just there today...I found Organic Liquid Stevia! Haven't tried their brand yet, but it was half the price of the stuff I usually buy!

When I stop by there, I usually get...

Almond Flour
Crunchy Unsalted Almond Butter
Celery Hearts
Grated Parm/Romano Cheese (Makes for great breading/binder)
Coconut Cream (Extra thick. Comes in a tin can. Great for coffee.)

Last edited by melisa82; 03-26-2013 at 01:01 PM..
Old 03-26-2013, 01:07 PM   #1364
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandacj08 View Post

Ugh. Do antihistamines help?
Old 03-26-2013, 01:10 PM   #1365
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
@mizzcase: thanks for this. I will research and try just having fat for breakfast. I've ordered CO and hopefully will like it in my coffee. It seems that any solid food will set me off, so a liquid breakfast is my best option.

@Clueless and lisamt: thanks so much for the support. I don't like almond milk but I've tried the coconut milk that is meant for tea and cereal etc and it's nice.

I'm keeping at it and may try the leangains 16/8 fast if I can't have breakfast. I do feel so much better with eating more fat.

Michelle x
Michelle, I hate CO in my coffee, so that doesn't work for me. Do you like chicken bouillon? I add 3T HWC and a cube to a cup of boiling water. It tastes like very rich cream of chicken soup. I find it very satiating and that + 1T HWC in a cup of coffee holds me over from 7A-1PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:29 PM   #1366
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

Hope you feel better!
I use truvia....it doesn't melt all the way, but I don't mind the little bit of grittiness it causes.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:32 PM   #1367
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Ugh. Do antihistamines help?
Not really, my allergies are pretty bad. I do allergy shots, sinus rinses the whole bit, but I still suffer when the trees bloom.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:40 PM   #1368
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: helpingrachel
Stats: 167/ 162.4/140 5ft 8
Thanks for the welcome.

Went thru a rough patch with menopause and tried HCG. It really did wonders for weight loss and energy level but who can live on such low calories. I also like eating low carb, protein, veggies and berrries. I have been afraid of fat but all the research and reading is certainly changing my mind. Ready to incorporate a lifelong plan.

Thanks for asking the questions and pointing out my typo.

I don't have any health problems. Only meds bio-identical hormones.
I will add magnesium to my list. I like to take epson salt baths once a week as well.

Thanks for the podcasts. I will be listing to them and share any thoughts to what I hear.

I exercise daily either 30 minutes or 1 hour on the treadmill.

I feel that the calorie number is so much higher than I am used to. I will start around 1800 and try 80/15/5 to see if that is a good place. I think the best thing for me to do is look at the 80/15/5 thread and menus.

Thanks for the questions and insights. I don't want to purchase the machine but will see if that is helpful.

I plan on starting my day with bulletproof coffee as that is easy and what I like to drink anyway. Lunch will be protein, veggies and fat. Dinner the same. Will have to practice to get my numbers to line up.

Thanks Clueless for the insights regarding the 4-6 weeks to get in sync. What were some of the things you noticed that helped you know you were in alignment? I don't think I will buy the meter.

Jimmy Moore looks like he has had quite the success. Interesting reading.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:14 PM   #1369
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Thanks for the welcome.

Went thru a rough patch with menopause and tried HCG. It really did wonders for weight loss and energy level but who can live on such low calories. I also like eating low carb, protein, veggies and berrries. I have been afraid of fat but all the research and reading is certainly changing my mind. Ready to incorporate a lifelong plan.

Thanks for asking the questions and pointing out my typo.

I don't have any health problems. Only meds bio-identical hormones.
I will add magnesium to my list. I like to take epson salt baths once a week as well.

Thanks for the podcasts. I will be listing to them and share any thoughts to what I hear.

I exercise daily either 30 minutes or 1 hour on the treadmill.

I feel that the calorie number is so much higher than I am used to. I will start around 1800 and try 80/15/5 to see if that is a good place. I think the best thing for me to do is look at the 80/15/5 thread and menus.

Thanks for the questions and insights. I don't want to purchase the machine but will see if that is helpful.

I plan on starting my day with bulletproof coffee as that is easy and what I like to drink anyway. Lunch will be protein, veggies and fat. Dinner the same. Will have to practice to get my numbers to line up.

Thanks Clueless for the insights regarding the 4-6 weeks to get in sync. What were some of the things you noticed that helped you know you were in alignment? I don't think I will buy the meter.

Post menopausal it is probably a good idea to start at 1800.

If you have been eating very low calories prior to this you can expect some weight increase as you regain lean body mass and the body hoards energy stores after the famine of low calories.

Don't get stuck on macro ratios. Eating close to your protein grams, keeping carbs low and calories up is what is important not any particular ratio. Once you find the right tweaks the resulting macro ratios can help guide you as you plan out a day's meals.

Jimmy Moore has a ton of really good podcasts. Another one you should listen to is 'jimmy moore phinney long term stalls'. It is about long term stalls but it is packed with really good information for anyone doing NK.

There is also a really excellent one with Julia Ross about beating carb cravings - 'jimmy moore julia ross carb'.

I'd say keep your workouts to 45 minutes or less. Too much exercise, particularly non-resistance type exercise, gives most people a lower resting metabolism so you burn less calories 24/7, substantially less for some people.

It is a good idea to take measurements too. Seeing the inches come off can be a big relief when the scale says you are not really losing weight.

Old 03-26-2013, 02:24 PM   #1370
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: robbelkk
Stats: 263/168/150
WOE: Atkins, LCHF, NK, BFC
Start Date: Feb 2012
Really enjoying listening to Jimmy Moore's podcasts. Went back to the first one and listening to them in order while working. Loving it and feel like I will gain SO much info! Thank you for sharing this info w/ me!!
Old 03-26-2013, 02:28 PM   #1371
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Thanks for the welcome.

I noticed that I stopped thinking about food. I only think about food when I am planning my meals. You get hungry sometimes but it isn't urgent. you can wait a while to eat if you need to. I have no desire to eat anything sweet or off plan either.
I am seeing an improvement in my asthma attacks as well. I have mostly exercise induced asthma. But I was also having attacks at other times just before I started NK.
My inflammation has lessened, my thyroid symptoms have improved.
But one main thin I notice is less anxiety and a clam feeling. I feel clear headed and do not have trouble focusing on any task at hand.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:47 PM   #1372
Major LCF Poster!

Melisa,
Thanks for the tips for Trader Joes.

Red,
Thanks for the Coconut Bark recipe.
I will look for some torani syrup.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:02 PM   #1373
Senior LCF Member

Today:

B: coffee w/ 1T HWC, 2 eggs topped with goat cheese, 2 slices bacon
L: 2 slices mockafoni and cheese
D: sausage, peppers, and onions in tomato sauce, topped with mozzarella cheese

1752 calories/146g fat 74%/29g carbs (21 net) 7%/83g protein 19%
Old 03-26-2013, 03:06 PM   #1374
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: helpingrachel
Stats: 167/ 162.4/140 5ft 8
Quote:
I noticed that I stopped thinking about food. I only think about food when I am planning my meals. You get hungry sometimes but it isn't urgent. you can wait a while to eat if you need to. I have no desire to eat anything sweet or off plan either.
I am seeing an improvement in my asthma attacks as well. I have mostly exercise induced asthma. But I was also having attacks at other times just before I started NK.
My inflammation has lessened, my thyroid symptoms have improved.
But one main thin I notice is less anxiety and a clam feeling. I feel clear headed and do not have trouble focusing on any task at hand.
Great results from following this woe. I have a feeling that I am not going to be clear headed for awhile. Kind of feeling foggy today. All is good! Thanks for sharing your changes and improvements.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:09 PM   #1375
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbelkk View Post
Really enjoying listening to Jimmy Moore's podcasts. Went back to the first one and listening to them in order while working. Loving it and feel like I will gain SO much info! Thank you for sharing this info w/ me!!
You're welcome

You've got a lot of podcasts in front of you. He does a few different podcasts.

Ask the low carb experts.
Livin La Vida Low Carb.
Low Carb Conversations.

Not all of his guests are advocates of low carb. A few are anti-low_carb. JM doesn't usually do adversarial interviews so doesn't often challenge the guest if they say something he knows to be untrue or questionable. He lets them have their say.

For example, he has one with Matt LaLonde who is a calorie expert. LaLonde is not a fan of low carb. He doesn't think it is a good way to live/eat. But his take on calories was interesting. He was shocked to hear that LC forums like ours has a lot of people advocating 1200 calories as a good calorie level. JM hit him with that right after LaLonde refused to say what was too low lol. He was like 'what?!? wow! that is really low!'.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:11 PM   #1376
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Great results from following this woe. I have a feeling that I am not going to be clear headed for awhile. Kind of feeling foggy today. All is good! Thanks for sharing your changes and improvements.
Google 'dr eades tips & tricks' for a great article by Dr. Eades about getting through induction as painlessly as possible. It is a two part blog post. Really great information.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:45 PM   #1377
Senior LCF Member

Cheryl - I mix in a tablespoon of peanut butter as well and it reminds me of Tagalog Girl Scout cookies.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:47 PM   #1378
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Just checking in very cold today here in fl..was at universal yesterday to many people for me.....I've just took a big break from NK this week I can real feel it,but stress gets me ever time be glad to get back home and back on NK. It's the best way to eat...I realy need to tell my self this is for life and quit cheating. Cherly you are going to pass me keep going :-) red your doing great to..all of you are!!!talk to y'all later...
Old 03-26-2013, 05:15 PM   #1379
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
Just checking in very cold today here in fl..was at universal yesterday to many people for me.....I've just took a big break from NK this week I can real feel it,but stress gets me ever time be glad to get back home and back on NK. It's the best way to eat...I realy need to tell my self this is for life and quit cheating. Cherly you are going to pass me keep going :-) red your doing great to..all of you are!!!talk to y'all later...

Been Missin ya.
It's awful cold here girl. We have had wind snow 2 days in a row and yesterday we had a dusting, probably more up your way.
Hope it is warm and pretty by the time you get home.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:15 PM   #1380
Senior LCF Member

Um.. make sure you are near a bathroom if you accidentally buy almond butter with added flax seed in it.

Looks like I'll be replenishing electrolytes the rest of the night.
Closed Thread