Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2013, 07:13 AM   #91
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Texas Independence Day

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2013, 07:13 AM   #92
Blabbermouth!!!

Weigh-in Mar 02, 2013

Weigh-in this morning ... 199.9
Old 03-02-2013, 07:16 AM   #93
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dasschus
Stats: 250/195/145
WOE: HFLC/nutritional ketosis
Start Date: February 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by pibble mama View Post
another question...i tried to test my ketone number this am just for giggles. I had to poke my finger 2x (OUCH) and the machine registered LO.....lo? isn't it supposed to give a number? Or were my ketones so lo it didn't even register???
Jimmy Moore did a post about getting Lo readings when he was comparing meters. Might be worth a look.
Precision Xtra vs. NovaMax Plus: Ketone Meter Evaluation « Jimmy Moore's Livin' La Vida Low Carb Blog
Old 03-02-2013, 07:21 AM   #94
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pibble mama
Stats: 289.6/283/175!!
WOE: NK newbie!
Start Date: January 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
The best thing about a big gain overnight is that you *know* it is water weight

I'm glad you mentioned your coffee because I remembered to add a little butter to one of my cups of coffee. CO/HWC/Butter/Coffee. It wasn't bad. I probably won't do it too often but if I will do it if I think I might need to go till dinner without eating.
YIPPIE for it just being water weight! lol...that takes some panic off of my mind for sure!
Darin, do you have an emulsion blender stick? If not, def. grab on (BB&B w/ a coupon and they are like $25!) I have had mine for years and it makes all the difference in the world when making BPC! It is a bit different taste, but MAN it is like heaven once you get accustomed to it...or at least I love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasschus View Post
You have a Nova meter?
yes, it is the free one...of course the machine was free...the sticks will cost me a fortune! lol I wonder if i can get a script for those...I mean, I am TECHNICALLY pre-diabetic at my weight! I FINALLY found a dr a few years ago who realized I was NEVER going to fit into a BMI box and said all of that was "crap" anyway! I her!

Quote:
Google around for LC friendly low inflammation foods. I do not have a list off hand but from what I saw when I googled, lots of them are not LC.
Cool! Yes, and the ones that are NOT anit inflammatory are my faves! eggplant! lol
Old 03-02-2013, 07:28 AM   #95
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Yay!! Down some more. Congratulations.

Kelly
Old 03-02-2013, 07:33 AM   #96
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
WAHOO!!!!
Old 03-02-2013, 08:21 AM   #97
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Quote:
Awesome

Congrats
Old 03-02-2013, 08:50 AM   #98
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: amandacj08
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
I upped my calories Wednesday and Thursday. Felt much better. Then today I was back to not being that hungry again.
That's awesome! I found that the few days I felt like there weren't enough calories for me in 1600 I upped to 1800 and had a loss the next day! Our bodies are like moody 13 year olds sometimes, I swear!

As a long term San Antonio resident transplanted in Spokane....Happy Texas Independence Day!! And happy onederland day!

My husband's birthday was AWESOME! I stayed on plan, ate delicious greek food, had wonderful induction friendly oopsie cream puffs annnnnddddd my WI was 192 even this morning. I don't think I've ever had a birthday celebration where I had a lower weight the next morning! I am TOO STOKED!!
Old 03-02-2013, 08:56 AM   #99
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandacj08 View Post
That's awesome! I found that the few days I felt like there weren't enough calories for me in 1600 I upped to 1800 and had a loss the next day! Our bodies are like moody 13 year olds sometimes, I swear!

As a long term San Antonio resident transplanted in Spokane....Happy Texas Independence Day!! And happy onederland day!

My husband's birthday was AWESOME! I stayed on plan, ate delicious greek food, had wonderful induction friendly oopsie cream puffs annnnnddddd my WI was 192 even this morning. I don't think I've ever had a birthday celebration where I had a lower weight the next morning! I am TOO STOKED!!

Everything about this post is awesome!
I was in SA yesterday! Love that city. We went to the Alamo to see the Travis Victory or Death letter. Was wonderful. Just a day trip.

Congrats on the weight loss!!
What did you have to eat? Love getting ideas on what to eat at different restaurants. Love Greek food!

Kelly
Old 03-02-2013, 08:58 AM   #100
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightlyStarched View Post
Hi everyone. I've enjoyed reading your thread over the last few days. I think I'd like to try out what you are doing. It looks very very interesting.

I guess I can count today as the first day.... I didn't count/log anything, I suppose I need to do that, but I will begin that tomorrow.

I love the example weights on the first couple of posts. I think I'll just adopt 150 as a goal weight for now, to make life easier.

Starting weight is 234 this morning.
What I ate:
B: 1 serving leftover Green Chile Casserole (basically just cheese/chiles/eggs & cream), coffee with cream.
L: Salad with mixed lettuces, 1/2 avocado, blue cheese crumbles, bacon crumbles, and olive oil, S&P.
S: about 8 almonds, 1 oz dark chocolate.
D: 2 cups bulletproof decaf & 1 leftover breakfast sausage. I tried the BPC for the first time today. It sounds so vile, and yet it was very good.

I think I'm done eating for today. Not looking forward to weighing and measuring. Ugh.
Welcome! Glad to see you here. I am relatively new also, but the peeps her are awesome and so supportive.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:00 AM   #101
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:

Congrats!!!
Old 03-02-2013, 09:05 AM   #102
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasschus View Post

Everything about this post is awesome!
I was in SA yesterday! Love that city. We went to the Alamo to see the Travis Victory or Death letter. Was wonderful. Just a day trip.

Congrats on the weight loss!!
What did you have to eat? Love getting ideas on what to eat at different restaurants. Love Greek food!

Kelly
I love SA! Its a great city, but I know in my heat it was good that we moved away, I'm not sure I could do low carb with such awesome food always tempting me.

We had the garlic/cheese/walnut dip with no bread, we also got the app plate with dolmas (my favorite I ate 2 1/2 which had about 12 carbs) feta and olives. I got a salad with garlic chicken breast, my hubby got the lamb over naked fried eggplant with no rice and double garlic greenbeans - that eggplant was HEAVEN in my mouth!!!! I'm going to buy some today and we will try to recreate at home.

I also had 1 drink - vodka/water/lime.

I was very impressed at how much the oopsie cream puffs tasted *just* like a regular cream puffs...I think these will be our go to for future birthdays.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:07 AM   #103
Senior LCF Member

I'm menu planning now, so if anyone has any recommendations throw 'em my way.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:10 AM   #104
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

I was very impressed at how much the oopsie cream puffs tasted *just* like a regular cream puffs...I think these will be our go to for future birthdays.
They're good! Have you tried the cinnamon roll version of oopsie rolls by Kent Altena? They are crazy good! I love these a little too much.
Low Carb “Cinnabon” Sweet Rolls « Atkins Diet Geek Blog

Kelly
Old 03-02-2013, 09:15 AM   #105
Senior LCF Member

Kelly, will you be my girlfriend? I think I love you.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:23 AM   #106
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Kelly, will you be my girlfriend? I think I love you.
Lol!
Cute.

Kelly
Old 03-02-2013, 10:27 AM   #107
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 20, 2012
Quote:
Ok, i'm having issues. I have lost 6lbs over the last month...a COUPLE of times! I was supposed to go out tonight, got completely ready (i hardly put on make up! Work from home...no need! lol) got my clothes ready to put on and NOTHING fit! OMG and not just a lil snug i'm talking NOTHING FIT! it was as if I've put on 20lbs since New years...i haven't. I've LOST. I drink nothing but coffee and water...haven't had anything unusual, no medications. TMI WARNING MEN!!!! (don't say i didn't warn you!!!) I did start THAT yesterday and mine are usually pretty bad but DANG! I THOUGHT earlier in the day i "felt" a little tighter/less bloat, but I guess that was wrong! I had to call my friends and cancel because I literally had NOTHING that i could wear, and I will not go out in my pj's! I washed my face and cried for 30 minutes. I tried to explain (A LOT) to my friends who just couldn't wrap their heads around my weight issues....and not having anything that fits.

Am I missing something else that could be doing it? Surely pms related stuff wouldn't cause THAT much bloat would it??? I have been so good, no deserts, no off plan stuff...i just feel "fat" now. Not just "fluffy"
I haven't read through this thread yet, but I hope you feel better.
For what its worth, I put on 8-10 pounds (yes, EIGHT TO TEN) over the 3 days before I get my period and it hangs around till a couple days after its done. Thats 9 days a month I spend bloated, and I haven't found a way to cure it yet. But I've come to learn I KNOW its not real weight, and by the time I shed that weight, I've also lost a couple more pounds on top of it.

Its really frustrating to be losing steadily, and then, for unknown reasons, see the scale creep up from 125 to 135 over the course of 3 days. I have a pair of jeans one size larger and stock up with 3 or 4 bottles of wine to comfort me. I hope you feel better, just remember its not REAL weight.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:36 AM   #108
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NKSL55
Stats: 205/185/175
WOE: General LC then NK
Start Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
another question...i tried to test my ketone number this am just for giggles. I had to poke my finger 2x (OUCH) and the machine registered LO.....lo? isn't it supposed to give a number? Or were my ketones so lo it didn't even register???

lol! I scanned the novel that came with my device. I was belowo.1 mmol/L so it won't register! Does that mean I need to up the fat percentages? Of does it simply mean, I haven't been doing this long enough (one week of serious nk) to show results of ketones yet?

Darin, I am actually going to lean on your expert advice on this one! You are like our "den dad"
Darin doesn't do BK meters. But I find they provide some low grade entertainment, if nothing else. I buy the BK strips from amazon -- 40 at a time for about $100. They cost about as much as a typical Starbuck's habit.

Since you got the free meter and may not want to buy more strips, you might want to save your second free one for at least a week.

Yes, it can take well over a week to get into ketosis. Many people need to get their carbs below 50g/day (sometimes even below 30g/day is necessary) to reach ketosis. Also even when eating nearly no carbs you might need to drop your protein intake. But you don't want to go below the minimum protein amounts that Red calculated for you.

I think the deal is that most people in the US never go into ketosis because their carb intake is too high. For that reason transitioning into ketosis can take a long time as the cells of your body reconfigure themselves to mainly burn fat, rather than carbs. Also, even once in ketosis, initially your body's setpoint is non-ketotic, so at the slightest excuse it is ready to return to its carb-burning ways.

--
Phillip
Old 03-02-2013, 10:41 AM   #109
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
Start Date: March 20, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post
Have you had an eating disorder in the past? If so, do you find that NK is helpful? I don't know that I have had a diagnosable eating disorder, but my eating has been extremely disordered and I think I probably did/do have one. I have followed other ways of eating that helped, but never anything that helped to this degree. I would say that my disordered eating is not currently an issue at all, though, like you, with the micromanaging, there are non-eating behaviors that remain, like being a little obsessive. But I'm not nearly as obsessive as I have been in the past. And I find that IF'ing is so freeing. I really don't think about food almost at all anymore. Makes me wonder if in ten or twenty years this is going to be considered a therapy for EDs.
Hey, yeah I have, never formally diagnosed, but I have had anorexic and bulimic tendencies that go back-and-forth and have been dealing with them since I was 15. There was a period of time when I was 17-22 where I consistently weighed 95-100 pounds, was amenorrheic, and had down fur (lanugo) growing all over my body and face. It was terrible. I had another episode last year where I only ate 500 calories a day. I only decide to put an effort into recovery because I couldn't handle school full-time while I also managed a raging bout of anorexia.

I don't think my eating disordered thought will EVER go away, but I've learned to manage it. Curiously enough, when I decided to recover this last go round, I developed a strange case of binge eating disorder that never happened to me before. It gradually ceased as I became weight-stabilized, but I still suffer from those "all or nothing" thought occasionally.

I THINK NK has helped my eating disorder because it completely killed cravings and helped me stop obsessively thinking about food, but I'd really contribute most of getting over ED and the subsequent binging (LOL, JK, don't think I'll ever be COMPLETELY over it) to cutting grains and sugars. They really make me crave and make me food-obsessed.

The biggest problem for me with NK is that its been making me food obsessed lately because of the micromanaging and tracking. And I've found I've been binging alot more if I go over my recommended protein, carbs or calories for the day because then I think, "Well, already screwed up this day, might as well screw it royally." I'm a perfectionist (something alot of eating disordered people are), so if my macros% or gram counts of these macros aren't PERFECT, I feel like I've failed. Another trouble with tracking during NK was that made me KIND OF lose my hunger/satiation cues, and I was completely unable to stop eating when I knew I was full-- I had already logged those calories and if I didn't eat every.single.bite my log would be skewed and there was no way to tell what I actually ate.

See what I mean when I say I'm probably always gonna have a disordered eating mindset no matter what?

I've still been eating HFLC, but I've stopped tracking calories and macros and just trusting my body. I've also stopped weighing every day (LOL, more like 10x a day) because it was driving me nuts and was just a reminder that my disordered eating behavior has reared its head.

Tracking macros and calories REALLY helps alot of people and I think its completely necessary if you want to do NK the "correct" and "perfect" way, but it just drives me nuts. So I'm doing a personalized version of NK and I don't care what anyone says.

Sorry that was winded and if you read down this far, good job.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:56 AM   #110
Blabbermouth!!!

I use a similar strategy concerning LC recipes. I found that when I spent a lot of time looking at my food log or browsing recipes I'd get hungry. So I quit browsing recipes and try not to spend a lot of time looking at the food listed in my food log. It works for me.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:00 AM   #111
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

Awesome on a loss AFTER a BDay celebration!
Yes, SA is an awesome lil (lol) city! I have never had fried avocado ANYWHERE but there!

Quote:
I'm menu planning now, so if anyone has any recommendations throw 'em my way.
OMG if you do not have macadamia nut oil RUN (no, really RUN) to the store right now. I picked some up. couldn't justify the cost of actual nuts, but the bottle of oil was only 9.99! I will be drinking it I am sure! I drizzled it over my scrambled eggs and a 1/2 an avocado....oh emmm geeeee!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzcase View Post
I haven't read through this thread yet, but I hope you feel better.
For what its worth, I put on 8-10 pounds (yes, EIGHT TO TEN) over the 3 days before I get my period and it hangs around till a couple days after its done. Thats 9 days a month I spend bloated, and I haven't found a way to cure it yet. But I've come to learn I KNOW its not real weight, and by the time I shed that weight, I've also lost a couple more pounds on top of it.

Its really frustrating to be losing steadily, and then, for unknown reasons, see the scale creep up from 125 to 135 over the course of 3 days. I have a pair of jeans one size larger and stock up with 3 or 4 bottles of wine to comfort me. I hope you feel better, just remember its not REAL weight.
Oh man! 8-10 lbs would devastate me! That would almost put me in a new century and i would lose it....even if it were mental! How do you do it? I know it isn't actual "fat" i've gained...but my biggest fear is it is an upward trend and once it starts it won't stop! I think I have to stop drinking wine.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKSL55 View Post
Darin doesn't do BK meters. But I find they provide some low grade entertainment, if nothing else. I buy the BK strips from amazon -- 40 at a time for about $100. They cost about as much as a typical Starbuck's habit.

Since you got the free meter and may not want to buy more strips, you might want to save your second free one for at least a week.

Yes, it can take well over a week to get into ketosis. Many people need to get their carbs below 50g/day (sometimes even below 30g/day is necessary) to reach ketosis. Also even when eating nearly no carbs you might need to drop your protein intake. But you don't want to go below the minimum protein amounts that Red calculated for you.

I think the deal is that most people in the US never go into ketosis because their carb intake is too high. For that reason transitioning into ketosis can take a long time as the cells of your body reconfigure themselves to mainly burn fat, rather than carbs. Also, even once in ketosis, initially your body's setpoint is non-ketotic, so at the slightest excuse it is ready to return to its carb-burning ways.

--
Phillip
Thanks! I have a HARD time getting in my protein. I have no problem with the fat! I have been averaging about 30g of carbs a day...i am working on lowering that...but i miss my veggies (dripping in butter of course!) and i love avocados every day so i figure those in...and of course homemade coconut butter!

Ok, so I went to the store (put on a sweatshirt and super "fat" pants and got macadamium nut oil (oh my! Where has that been all my life?!?) and Devonshire cream...oh dear....i can eat that by the spoonful! And organic duck fat! I can't for the life of me find unsweetened shredded coconut though!

I hope everyone is having a great Saturday!
Old 03-02-2013, 11:07 AM   #112
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzcase View Post
Hey, yeah I have, never formally diagnosed, but I have had anorexic and bulimic tendencies that go back-and-forth and have been dealing with them since I was 15. There was a period of time when I was 17-22 where I consistently weighed 95-100 pounds, was amenorrheic, and had down fur (lanugo) growing all over my body and face. It was terrible. I had another episode last year where I only ate 500 calories a day. I only decide to put an effort into recovery because I couldn't handle school full-time while I also managed a raging bout of anorexia.
GIANT HUGS!!!
You have a level head on your shoulders and you seem to know your triggers, so imho that is a HUGE part of the battle!
Old 03-02-2013, 11:12 AM   #113
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Myles
Quote:
nice, congrats
Old 03-02-2013, 11:33 AM   #114
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: erinisme
Stats: 180/170/140
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 12/12/2012
So...haven't been around for a week, went to the ER last Sat after 12 hours of heart palpitation (PVC's) everything seems fine. they didn't go away til monday morning. Let me tell you that is disconcerting. They said my potassium was a little low (3.4 out of 3.5) and gave me some suppository sized pills. I had worried about that friday, so I had two cups of broth and a vitamin water, and half an avocado. I haven't checked but I can't imagine that little of a difference would do that. I have had em before but usually with too much caffeine. I had NOT been tracking my protein or calories, I fairly sure they were too low for a coupla days.
After the trip to the ER I gave in and ate what was set before me, which was a pastie (if you are not from the Great Lakes region, it's meat and taters wrapped up in pastry.) yum! and have been carbo loading ever since. I'm back on today, I missed the CO in my coffee. I didn't think it changed the taste but it makes it taste better, like fat does do. I am NOT going to weigh myself for a week or two. I imagine I gained 5 lbs. my tummy is flabbier and rings are tight. Have couple more Dr appts, my Dr was good about wanting to reassure me that it's nothing, because the PVC's can be caused by stress. and crazy heart flutters are very stressful. I am amazed at how I am never satisfied with enough of carbs like pasta and bread. never can just push the plate away.
in case anyone missed me.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:46 AM   #115
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Casey
You Rock!

erinisme, hope you get to feelin better
Old 03-02-2013, 12:04 PM   #116
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinisme View Post
So...haven't been around for a week, went to the ER last Sat after 12 hours of heart palpitation (PVC's) everything seems fine. they didn't go away til monday morning. .....
of course you were missed!!! I hope all is ok and you are all better!!!
Old 03-02-2013, 12:07 PM   #117
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: erinisme
Stats: 180/170/140
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 12/12/2012
the correct answer was,
"erin who?"
Old 03-02-2013, 12:15 PM   #118
Senior LCF Member

I AM going out tonight.....destressing! it might get ugly!!! lol
Old 03-02-2013, 12:22 PM   #119
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Malcah1
Stats: 192/166/158
Start Date: Sept. 2012
Hi! Im in on the challenge but I am very curious how many calories you all are actually eating a day. Right now I'm trying to do 1800 with 75/15/10 but I consistently eat about +2000k to meet this macro. I am losing, but didin't want to go overboard with the calories.

thanks
Old 03-02-2013, 12:40 PM   #120
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinisme View Post
So...haven't been around for a week, went to the ER last Sat after 12 hours of heart palpitation (PVC's) everything seems fine. they didn't go away til monday morning. Let me tell you that is disconcerting. They said my potassium was a little low (3.4 out of 3.5) and gave me some suppository sized pills. I had worried about that friday, so I had two cups of broth and a vitamin water, and half an avocado. I haven't checked but I can't imagine that little of a difference would do that. I have had em before but usually with too much caffeine. I had NOT been tracking my protein or calories, I fairly sure they were too low for a coupla days.
After the trip to the ER I gave in and ate what was set before me, which was a pastie (if you are not from the Great Lakes region, it's meat and taters wrapped up in pastry.) yum! and have been carbo loading ever since. I'm back on today, I missed the CO in my coffee. I didn't think it changed the taste but it makes it taste better, like fat does do. I am NOT going to weigh myself for a week or two. I imagine I gained 5 lbs. my tummy is flabbier and rings are tight. Have couple more Dr appts, my Dr was good about wanting to reassure me that it's nothing, because the PVC's can be caused by stress. and crazy heart flutters are very stressful. I am amazed at how I am never satisfied with enough of carbs like pasta and bread. never can just push the plate away.
Wow!

Did the doc give you any instructions for keeping an eye on things?
Closed Thread