Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2013, 04:35 PM   #61
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamRedrac View Post
I am starting NK. I will be testing with the blood meter as soon as I get it figured out. Looking forward to reading all your posts

Friday 3/1/13-140
Welcome.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2013, 04:56 PM   #62
Major LCF Poster!

Red, How are you doing with the hunger.

I upped my calories Wednesday and Thursday. Felt much better. Then today I was back to not being that hungry again.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:29 PM   #63
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LightlyStarched
Hi everyone. I've enjoyed reading your thread over the last few days. I think I'd like to try out what you are doing. It looks very very interesting.

I guess I can count today as the first day.... I didn't count/log anything, I suppose I need to do that, but I will begin that tomorrow.

I love the example weights on the first couple of posts. I think I'll just adopt 150 as a goal weight for now, to make life easier.

Starting weight is 234 this morning.
What I ate:
B: 1 serving leftover Green Chile Casserole (basically just cheese/chiles/eggs & cream), coffee with cream.
L: Salad with mixed lettuces, 1/2 avocado, blue cheese crumbles, bacon crumbles, and olive oil, S&P.
S: about 8 almonds, 1 oz dark chocolate.
D: 2 cups bulletproof decaf & 1 leftover breakfast sausage. I tried the BPC for the first time today. It sounds so vile, and yet it was very good.

I think I'm done eating for today. Not looking forward to weighing and measuring. Ugh.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:32 PM   #64
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
Red, How are you doing with the hunger.

I upped my calories Wednesday and Thursday. Felt much better. Then today I was back to not being that hungry again.
It is interesting. I am still experiencing light hunger particularly later in the evening. Usually my last calories are before 6pm. Still holding at about 2500 calories.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:33 PM   #65
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightlyStarched View Post
Hi everyone. I've enjoyed reading your thread over the last few days. I think I'd like to try out what you are doing. It looks very very interesting.

I guess I can count today as the first day.... I didn't count/log anything, I suppose I need to do that, but I will begin that tomorrow.

I love the example weights on the first couple of posts. I think I'll just adopt 150 as a goal weight for now, to make life easier.

What I ate:
B: 1 serving leftover Green Chile Casserole (basically just cheese/chiles/eggs & cream), coffee with cream.
L: Salad with mixed lettuces, 1/2 avocado, blue cheese crumbles, bacon crumbles, and olive oil, S&P.
D: 2 cups bulletproof decaf & 1 leftover breakfast sausage. I tried the BPC for the first time today. It sounds so vile, and yet it was very good.

I think I'm done eating for today. Not looking forward to weighing and measuring. Ugh.
Hi Welcome to our thread
Old 03-01-2013, 05:36 PM   #66
Blabbermouth!!!

Food log - Mar 01, 2013

Numbers and log for today.

Calories: 2,524

Fat: 225
Pro: 118
Car: 12

78/20/2

Breakfast: Coffee, CO, HWC.
Lunch: Pork, sour cream, bacon.
Dinner: Chicken, cabbage with bouillon/bacon grease/butter
Snack: HWC floats.
End of Day: 1oz CO.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:44 PM   #67
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightlyStarched View Post

What I ate:

Welcome!
I still haven't tried BPC, gonna have to try that.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:49 PM   #68
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pibble mama
Stats: 289.6/283/175!!
WOE: NK newbie!
Start Date: January 2013
Ok, i'm having issues. I have lost 6lbs over the last month...a COUPLE of times! I was supposed to go out tonight, got completely ready (i hardly put on make up! Work from home...no need! lol) got my clothes ready to put on and NOTHING fit! OMG and not just a lil snug i'm talking NOTHING FIT! it was as if I've put on 20lbs since New years...i haven't. I've LOST. I drink nothing but coffee and water...haven't had anything unusual, no medications. TMI WARNING MEN!!!! (don't say i didn't warn you!!!) I did start THAT yesterday and mine are usually pretty bad but DANG! I THOUGHT earlier in the day i "felt" a little tighter/less bloat, but I guess that was wrong! I had to call my friends and cancel because I literally had NOTHING that i could wear, and I will not go out in my pj's! I washed my face and cried for 30 minutes. I tried to explain (A LOT) to my friends who just couldn't wrap their heads around my weight issues....and not having anything that fits.

Am I missing something else that could be doing it? Surely pms related stuff wouldn't cause THAT much bloat would it??? I have been so good, no deserts, no off plan stuff...i just feel "fat" now. Not just "fluffy"

Last edited by pibble mama; 03-01-2013 at 06:00 PM..
Old 03-01-2013, 06:13 PM   #69
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pibble mama View Post
Ok, i'm having issues. I have lost 6lbs over the last month...a COUPLE of times! I was supposed to go out tonight, got completely ready (i hardly put on make up! Work from home...no need! lol) got my clothes ready to put on and NOTHING fit! OMG and not just a lil snug i'm talking NOTHING FIT! it was as if I've put on 20lbs since New years...i haven't. I've LOST. I drink nothing but coffee and water...haven't had anything unusual, no medications. TMI WARNING MEN!!!! (don't say i didn't warn you!!!) I did start THAT yesterday and mine are usually pretty bad but DANG! I THOUGHT earlier in the day i "felt" a little tighter/less bloat, but I guess that was wrong! I had to call my friends and cancel because I literally had NOTHING that i could wear, and I will not go out in my pj's! I washed my face and cried for 30 minutes. I tried to explain (A LOT) to my friends who just couldn't wrap their heads around my weight issues....and not having anything that fits.

Am I missing something else that could be doing it? Surely pms related stuff wouldn't cause THAT much bloat would it??? I have been so good, no deserts, no off plan stuff...i just feel "fat" now. Not just "fluffy"
Calm down. Take a deep breath.
Take care of you, we' will worry about your friends later
How long had it been since you wore the outfits?
I am assuming you wear casual clothes at home?? Is this right?
Are these clothes you wear very often?
Do you have any other symptoms?

Last edited by Clueless; 03-01-2013 at 06:14 PM.. Reason: opps you already said that :)
Old 03-01-2013, 06:15 PM   #70
Major LCF Poster!

PMS will cause clothes not to fit.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:39 PM   #71
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Calm down. Take a deep breath.
Take care of you, we' will worry about your friends later
How long had it been since you wore the outfits?
I am assuming you wear casual clothes at home?? Is this right?
Are these clothes you wear very often?
Do you have any other symptoms?
I do live in jammie pants and tshirts at home. I wore the jeans two weeks ago and they were snug but not unbearable....but i've dropped a lil bit since then. I have HORRIFIC female related problems. As soon as my insurance kicks in, i am having this stuff taken care of. The fibroids are out of control! I am hoping that also causes a healthier shift in my weight!

Sorry men! I know ya'll don't want to hear about that stuff!

I am about 500 cals below where i should be for the day....i'm having hot tea w/ coconut cream. The mere thought of ingesting food tonight will cause me to cry! lol
Old 03-01-2013, 06:48 PM   #72
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I do live in jammie pants and tshirts at home. I wore the jeans two weeks ago and they were snug but not unbearable....but i've dropped a lil bit since then. I have HORRIFIC female related problems. As soon as my insurance kicks in, i am having this stuff taken care of. The fibroids are out of control! I am hoping that also causes a healthier shift in my weight!

Sorry men! I know ya'll don't want to hear about that stuff!

I am about 500 cals below where i should be for the day....i'm having hot tea w/ coconut cream. The mere thought of ingesting food tonight will cause me to cry! lol
There you go. PMS will for sure cause jeans not to fit. Yes you have lost 6 lbs but, on most of us women you are gonna lose that in you shoulders, neck and (whisper) boobs. Sorry you missed your night out.
But don't let this beat you down. You are on the right track and don't belittle your progress. Remember you are emotional right now too.
How long have you been doing NK?
Old 03-01-2013, 06:59 PM   #73
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Myles
2412 179 / 175 / 23

67/30/3

b - c w/ hwc
2nd b - 2 hot dogs and some dill cream cheese
L - pork rinds and melted cheese and sour cream
D - ground beef and chicken with cheese and sour cream

;/

Last edited by Myles; 03-01-2013 at 07:01 PM..
Old 03-01-2013, 07:06 PM   #74
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
There you go. PMS will for sure cause jeans not to fit. Yes you have lost 6 lbs but, on most of us women you are gonna lose that in you shoulders, neck and (whisper) boobs. Sorry you missed your night out.
But don't let this beat you down. You are on the right track and don't belittle your progress. Remember you are emotional right now too.
How long have you been doing NK?
I really only have been doing nk for a week. I have been LC for years and started back up trying to lose weight mid january. I try not to beat myself up. It gets frustrating at times (Myles I SO feel your pain!) and I have to fight myself to not put a smack down on my friends who need to lose a pound or two when they start complaining. Haha! i would love the "boobs" to go down! lol..ugh, what a pain! Thank you for your reassuring! I keep thinking i need to exercise...THAT i am having a hard time getting my head wrapped around! lol...NOT that i do it anymore! lol...but keep thinking i should! lol
Old 03-01-2013, 07:15 PM   #75
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I really only have been doing nk for a week. I have been LC for years and started back up trying to lose weight mid january. I try not to beat myself up. It gets frustrating at times (Myles I SO feel your pain!) and I have to fight myself to not put a smack down on my friends who need to lose a pound or two when they start complaining. Haha! i would love the "boobs" to go down! lol..ugh, what a pain! Thank you for your reassuring! I keep thinking i need to exercise...THAT i am having a hard time getting my head wrapped around! lol...NOT that i do it anymore! lol...but keep thinking i should! lol
Well, There are great reasons to exercise BUT, weight loss does not rely on exercise. So exercise if you enjoy it. But if ya hate it just worry about NK for now.
NK makes me feel so great. You may find your hormonal issues improve greatly.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:16 PM   #76
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dasschus
Stats: 250/195/145
WOE: HFLC/nutritional ketosis
Start Date: February 2013
I've been on the road all day!

Had breakfast at home. Stopped at a convenience store that had a deli and got beef sausage with cheddar cheese cubes for lunch. Low carb high fat.
At dinner I snuck low carb tortillas into Hard Rock Cafe and ordered fajitas. I put sour cream, guacamole, cheese, beef, peppers and a squirt of lime on the tortillas. Also had a couple of tequila on ice. Oops!
Have no idea how to figure all of it out. But had a blast today and kept it low carb.

Kelly
Old 03-01-2013, 07:18 PM   #77
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Well, There are great reasons to exercise BUT, weight loss does not rely on exercise. So exercise if you enjoy it. But if ya hate it just worry about NK for now.
NK makes me feel so great. You may find your hormonal issues improve greatly.
I have been loving it! I totally am never hungry, i don't have cravings ( I have WANTS but i know those are emotionally charged...like right now i'd like to drown my sorrows in a plate of cup cakes!) So I can't wait for the improved hormones!! lol...that will be such a great thing!
Old 03-01-2013, 07:51 PM   #78
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzcase View Post
Haven't been counting macros or calories, just don't want to deal with the micromanagement. I've also been seeing some ED tendencies as far as counting and tracking is concerned, so I've ditched that. Also ditched weighing myself. Preventative measures.
Have you had an eating disorder in the past? If so, do you find that NK is helpful? I don't know that I have had a diagnosable eating disorder, but my eating has been extremely disordered and I think I probably did/do have one. I have followed other ways of eating that helped, but never anything that helped to this degree. I would say that my disordered eating is not currently an issue at all, though, like you, with the micromanaging, there are non-eating behaviors that remain, like being a little obsessive. But I'm not nearly as obsessive as I have been in the past. And I find that IF'ing is so freeing. I really don't think about food almost at all anymore. Makes me wonder if in ten or twenty years this is going to be considered a therapy for EDs.

Quote:
Red, While your brushin us up on bathroom etiquette, got any tips on teaching 3 yr olds to not to pp all over the place.
OMG, how about nine year olds??? lol I think he is getting a little better, but I can always tell when he's stumbled into the bathroom in the middle of the night.

Quote:
I got my meter yesteday...i think it came with 2 strips! so that means i need to get some! Are they different than reg. blood meter strips? ikes....the $$ for them...but i like to "see" data so...
I'm a lil skeered of pricking my finger...not big on blood or needles!
I finally used mine a few days ago and I have to warn you that you have to do the test very carefully. I have been testing my bloodsugar between 6 and 10 times a day for 20 years (good grief!) and I messed up the first strip. Also, I believe the directions tell you to do a control test (not sure 'bout this bc I could not be bothered to read the direction). If they do, don't do the control test! It will just use up one of your strips for no good reason. It will work fine without the control.

The poker that comes with it (I'm assuming this is the Nova meter) is actually a lot nicer and the lancet way thinner than the usual ones. I have now adopted it as my full time poker.

I really want more strips, but I can't see coughing up the money any time soon. There are several things on my list before that. I've got my eye on some fermented cod liver oil that will set me back a pretty penny.

Quote:
Ok, i'm having issues. I have lost 6lbs over the last month...a COUPLE of times! I was supposed to go out tonight, got completely ready (i hardly put on make up! Work from home...no need! lol) got my clothes ready to put on and NOTHING fit!
I'm sorry! That's a crappy feeling and so disappointing. For a while I was really feeling like I wasn't seeing benefits in terms of how fat I felt/looked, but now I am. I am down 19 pounds and it feels a world of difference from when I was only down 15. I think you will get there soon.

And Myles, you gotta stick with it, too. I went for many many days without any scale progress towards the beginning, but it did eventually kick in.

So, I am down a bit more, to 183.6 and it's an exciting thing for me bc 183 is the weight that I have always said I could live with. I would like to lose a ton more, but at this weight I feel like a normal fat person, rather than a complete aberration.

I also exercised for the first time today. It felt good! I am doing it only for health reasons and not for weight loss. And if it makes me feel munchy or overly hungry I may have to stop. But when I'm really in ketosis, I actually feel like I really want to do it, which is SO unlike me!

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb
once a day feeding
Old 03-02-2013, 03:25 AM   #79
Major LCF Poster!

Morning weigh in 159
Man I am having a fit with my allergies this week.
Had a terrible day Thursday, uncontrollable sneezing. Had to take the dreaded benedryl. Same thing this morning. Haven't had any problems in a good while.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:59 AM   #80
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post
I finally used mine a few days ago and I have to warn you that you have to do the test very carefully. I have been testing my bloodsugar between 6 and 10 times a day for 20 years (good grief!) and I messed up the first strip. Also, I believe the directions tell you to do a control test (not sure 'bout this bc I could not be bothered to read the direction). If they do, don't do the control test! It will just use up one of your strips for no good reason. It will work fine without the control.

The poker that comes with it (I'm assuming this is the Nova meter) is actually a lot nicer and the lancet way thinner than the usual ones. I have now adopted it as my full time poker.

I really want more strips, but I can't see coughing up the money any time soon. There are several things on my list before that. I've got my eye on some fermented cod liver oil that will set me back a pretty penny.

I'm sorry! That's a crappy feeling and so disappointing. For a while I was really feeling like I wasn't seeing benefits in terms of how fat I felt/looked, but now I am. I am down 19 pounds and it feels a world of difference from when I was only down 15. I think you will get there soon.

And Myles, you gotta stick with it, too. I went for many many days without any scale progress towards the beginning, but it did eventually kick in.

So, I am down a bit more, to 183.6 and it's an exciting thing for me bc 183 is the weight that I have always said I could live with. I would like to lose a ton more, but at this weight I feel like a normal fat person, rather than a complete aberration.

I also exercised for the first time today. It felt good! I am doing it only for health reasons and not for weight loss. And if it makes me feel munchy or overly hungry I may have to stop. But when I'm really in ketosis, I actually feel like I really want to do it, which is SO unlike me!
It came with a TON of extra reading.....what was so tricky for you? and if you found it tricky...and you do your bg every day?!? I MUST read the instructions! I've never done this. lol
WHAT is the cod liver for? You are a better person than I! Just the thought....and fermented too? I just remember horror stories from my parents when i was a kid about them having to take it and it seemed more like a punishment!

How long did you do this before you started seeing drops? Or even stable weight? I just want to get back to my regular yoga routine so i am more limber and not as stressed! I don't see me ever running again, at least not to the point I was before!

Quote:
Morning weigh in 159
Man I am having a fit with my allergies this week.
Had a terrible day Thursday, uncontrollable sneezing. Had to take the dreaded benedryl. Same thing this morning. Haven't had any problems in a good while.
Oh no! I hope you feel better! Allergies are the worst! Mine kicked up a bit to this morning...or at least i am blaming allergies!

Ok, not really a panic like last night...but serious depressive moment. i got up, went to weigh (and I was thinking I don't feel bloated so maybe i will see a lil drop) I pottied several times in the night (so i was thinking, i might see a drop!) WRONG! I was up 2.8 from Thursdays weight! Now, I did have to eat out 2x thursday (but kept it relatively clean! No "visible" carbs. Last night I ended with almost 100g of protein and less than 25 g carbs. BUT I was low on cals consumed by about 500. Back to it again today. Wear, but not giving in.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:24 AM   #81
Senior LCF Member

Good Saturday morning to y'all and happy Texas Independence Day to my fellow Texans.

Morning weigh in: 200.3
It was 198.9 yesterday. I expected to be up a little. Not only was I coming off my fat fast but I had to eat out all day yesterday.

Hoping it'll drop back down tomorrow.
Now, time for some Ketocoffee. Love this stuff!

1 cup hot coffee, 2 tbs cream, 1 tbs coconut oil, 1.5 tsp sugar free vanilla, caramel, or hazelnut syrup. Put in blender and blend until frothy. Yum!
178 calories, 20g fat, 1g protein, 2g carbs, 0 fiber
Old 03-02-2013, 06:29 AM   #82
Blabbermouth!!!

Theresa, have you listened to the Long Term Stalls podcast with Jimmy Moore and Dr. Phinney? At 59:10 he talks a little bit about how inflammatory a cycle can be and he thinks that cold water ocean fish or a good fish oil supplement might help minimize the inflammation and therefore the symptoms.

You might try to focus your menu on low or anti-inflammatory LC foods for that 10 to 15 day window.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:40 AM   #83
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

I'm sorry. I know that feeling and have been in the exact same situation before. Don't be hard on yourself. For me, there can sometimes be a lot of bloating at the tummy at that time. It sucks but just the way it is. Give it 3-4 days and see if it's better.
Hugs!
Old 03-02-2013, 06:43 AM   #84
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post

Congrats!!!

That is exactly what Phinney describes. You will naturally want to be and be more active when you lose weight. Over doing it is counterproductive of course but bumping calories up a little if needed with the increased activity should be fine. As long as you have a reasonable calorie deficit and you can calmly deal with transient exercise related weight gain no worries.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:48 AM   #85
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
BUT I was low on cals consumed by about 500
One off days like this probably wont matter much as long as the average over time is about right. Wild swings in calorie intake that average out over time, on the other hand, are probably not productive.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:01 AM   #86
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasschus View Post
Good Saturday morning to y'all and happy Texas Independence Day to my fellow Texans.

It was 198.9 yesterday. I expected to be up a little. Not only was I coming off my fat fast but I had to eat out all day yesterday.

1 cup hot coffee, 2 tbs cream, 1 tbs coconut oil, 1.5 tsp sugar free vanilla, caramel, or hazelnut syrup. Put in blender and blend until frothy. Yum!
WOOHOO! GOD BLESS TEXAS! lol My fellow teachers in SC used to always make fun of me because I was so all about Texas...they just didn't get it! lol
I am addicted to my coffee w/ co and now that i am out of hwc i have gone back to my canned coconut cream in with it! deelish! I am sure the eating out had a lil to do w your bump(heck, as well as mine! I used to work in kitchens i KNOW what they put in food.) But your loss on the FF was AWESOME! And great resolve to stick with it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Theresa, have you listened to the Long Term Stalls podcast with Jimmy Moore and Dr. Phinney? At 59:10 he talks a little bit about how inflammatory a cycle can be and he thinks that cold water ocean fish or a good fish oil supplement might help minimize the inflammation and therefore the symptoms.

You might try to focus your menu on low or anti-inflammatory LC foods for that 10 to 15 day window.
I will have to check that out! is there a "list" of anti inflammatory lc foods? I really haven't had to many carbs other than coconut, avocado and the occasional broccoli, zucchini. I have almost no veggies till i get the hang of this!

Quote:
I'm sorry. I know that feeling and have been in the exact same situation before. Don't be hard on yourself. For me, there can sometimes be a lot of bloating at the tummy at that time. It sucks but just the way it is. Give it 3-4 days and see if it's better.
Hugs!
Thank you! I was slamming water yesterday too...but not too much more than normal. I usually drink about 120 oz a day min. and then hot tea and coffee! I ain't giving up the coffee!
Old 03-02-2013, 07:04 AM   #87
Senior LCF Member

another question...i tried to test my ketone number this am just for giggles. I had to poke my finger 2x (OUCH) and the machine registered LO.....lo? isn't it supposed to give a number? Or were my ketones so lo it didn't even register???

lol! I scanned the novel that came with my device. I was belowo.1 mmol/L so it won't register! Does that mean I need to up the fat percentages? Of does it simply mean, I haven't been doing this long enough (one week of serious nk) to show results of ketones yet?

Darin, I am actually going to lean on your expert advice on this one! You are like our "den dad"

Last edited by pibble mama; 03-02-2013 at 07:13 AM..
Old 03-02-2013, 07:08 AM   #88
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
another question...i tried to test my ketone number this am just for giggles. I had to poke my finger 2x (OUCH) and the machine registered LO.....lo? isn't it supposed to give a number? Or were my ketones so lo it didn't even register???
You have a Nova meter?
Old 03-02-2013, 07:08 AM   #89
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:

The best thing about a big gain overnight is that you *know* it is water weight

I'm glad you mentioned your coffee because I remembered to add a little butter to one of my cups of coffee. CO/HWC/Butter/Coffee. It wasn't bad. I probably won't do it too often but if I will do it if I think I might need to go till dinner without eating.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:12 AM   #90
Blabbermouth!!!

Google around for LC friendly low inflammation foods. I do not have a list off hand but from what I saw when I googled, lots of them are not LC.
Closed Thread