Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 11:27 AM   #751
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by amandacj08 View Post
Morning all! Dang when you get behind a day, it's really hard to catch up!

Things are going well here...losing, but slowly

Sunday w.i. was 191.4, bounced on Monday....I'm thinking of only weighing in once a week because bounces from not being able to go potty or water weight are annoying.

I've been battling horrendous reflux and yesterday drank a considerable amount of mylanta, it took me from moderate ketones to trace. Anyone else ever have that issue?
Congrats!!

Is the reflux related to upping your protein and/or fat? One of JM's guests said that it typically indicates low stomach acid. Particularly reflux because low acid makes the thingamabob valve thingy relax and allows acid to ascend.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2013, 11:35 AM   #752
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles View Post
Then why didn't i lose!
I don't see a loss every time I eat high protein but I have seen a loss the following morning a time or two. As Picard told Data one time, you can do everything right and still not prevail.

On at least one podcast, and I think it was with Phinney, he remarked that becoming adapted to LC requires some reworking of the metabolic pathways, even at a cellular level, and the length of time for that to be accomplished depends on the individual. Being impatient is a failing strategy no matter which way of eating you embark on. Being consistent, on the other hand, is the only strategy that can promote success because it is the only way to light the path towards a working solution. I'm not slapping you on the hand but you just came back 3 or 4 days ago from a big cheat day. Don't let it kick you in the head mentally but don't succumb to amnesia either - neither are productive.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:39 AM   #753
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKSL55 View Post
Well, I would not say meaningless.
You can watch that blood ketone number -- if you don't mind blowing cash on the blood ketone strips. I get some low grade entertainment out of it, so it is worth it to me. Anyway, if you can get it to stay above 0.5 mM consistently when you check it in the morning, then you are "officially" in ketosis. Then your body is probably burning fat. Even if it is only burning your dietary fat, it would still mean that you are becoming adapted to burning fat and some time later your body may start "raiding the pantry" of your own fat stores.
I don't know. Some people find motivation in knowing what their BK level is. You would have to decide whether it helps you or not.

--
Phillip
Times like this I am happy to not have a background in chemistry or biology. Elsewise I'd have to buy the dang strips lol. I couldn't resist doing the test and having the data.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:13 PM   #754
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
LOL (insert evil laugh)
I got a new scale. After I see how this one behaves, I may be taking the old one out back with a shotgun. Might be time to put er down

But seriously, the old one only measure .5 increments. I got the one that measures body composition so maybe that will be a little motivator.
Not sure how I will like it so I am not gonna destroy the old one just yet
Half pound increments??? Really?!? Do ya'll still use 8 track stereophonic RCA HIFI machine for listening to your Tom Jones collection??? She's a laaaady whoa whoa whoa she's a lady.

Last edited by reddarin; 03-12-2013 at 12:41 PM..
Old 03-12-2013, 01:22 PM   #755
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Half pound increments??? Really?!? Do ya'll still use 8 track stereophonic RCA HIFI machine for listening to your Tom Jones collection??? She's a laaaady whoa whoa whoa she's a lady.
No, We have a cassette player, Thank you
Old 03-12-2013, 01:27 PM   #756
Blabbermouth!!!

lol
Old 03-12-2013, 01:28 PM   #757
Blabbermouth!!!

Well, I just ordered The Renaissance: A Short History by Paul Johnson. I hope that this book kick starts my read-a-ton cycle.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:52 PM   #758
Blabbermouth!!!

Someone mentioned having lemon in their water somewhere and I started doing that last week. I've done that before but it has been many years. Very refreshing. I like fresh lemon in my Coke Zero and Diet Dr. Pepper too.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:20 PM   #759
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2012
I have been back and forth between Atkins and NK. I finally decided to get very strict with the NK so I thought I would come on over here and check things out. I don't know how I got mixed up with how much protein I was supposed to be eating, but I just realized a few days ago that I was not eating enough protein. I need to eat around 100g per day and I was only eating around 60-65g per day. I have upped my protein to around 80-90g over the past couple of days and have lost 4.5lbs. I guess eating enough is as important as eating too much.

Dieting is hard;being fat is hard; choose your hard.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:22 PM   #760
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dasschus
Stats: 250/195/145
WOE: HFLC/nutritional ketosis
Start Date: February 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfine View Post
I have been back and forth between Atkins and NK. I finally decided to get very strict with the NK so I thought I would come on over here and check things out. I don't know how I got mixed up with how much protein I was supposed to be eating, but I just realized a few days ago that I was not eating enough protein. I need to eat around 100g per day and I was only eating around 60-65g per day. I have upped my protein to around 80-90g over the past couple of days and have lost 4.5lbs. I guess eating enough is as important as eating too much.
That's awesome! Congratulations on the loss and welcome to the board.

Kelly
Old 03-12-2013, 02:23 PM   #761
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Myles
Quote:
I don't see a loss every time I eat high protein but I have seen a loss the following morning a time or two. As Picard told Data one time, you can do everything right and still not prevail.

On at least one podcast, and I think it was with Phinney, he remarked that becoming adapted to LC requires some reworking of the metabolic pathways, even at a cellular level, and the length of time for that to be accomplished depends on the individual. Being impatient is a failing strategy no matter which way of eating you embark on. Being consistent, on the other hand, is the only strategy that can promote success because it is the only way to light the path towards a working solution. I'm not slapping you on the hand but you just came back 3 or 4 days ago from a big cheat day. Don't let it kick you in the head mentally but don't succumb to amnesia either - neither are productive.
It was just a little piece of pie and a little rice! IT wasnt a BIG cheat!

YA I HEAR YOU.. DAMNIT. I hate when you're right. Big trade show the next 2 days, its going to be hard, i need to get some snacks to take so i wont be hungry!
Old 03-12-2013, 02:28 PM   #762
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfine View Post
Wow! That's awesome!
Old 03-12-2013, 02:29 PM   #763
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles View Post
It was just a little piece of pie and a little rice! IT wasnt a BIG cheat!

YA I HEAR YOU.. DAMNIT. I hate when you're right. Big trade show the next 2 days, its going to be hard, i need to get some snacks to take so i wont be hungry!
heh

This show is a great chance to test out what you learned about the challenges of staying on plan with the that last sales trip.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:47 PM   #764
Blabbermouth!!!

Food log - Mar 12, 2013

Numbers and log for today.

Calories: 2,110

Fat: 169
Pro: 122
Car: 31

70/24/5

Breakfast: Coffee, CO, HWC.
Lunch: Chicken, cabbage w/bouillon, butter and bacon grease.
Dinner: Chicken, pickles, butter, sour cream.
Snack: None.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:02 PM   #765
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
O my...I spent the entire day going thru my scrapbook stuff,I'm selling half of it,why would I buy all that stuff...
Old 03-12-2013, 04:07 PM   #766
Major LCF Poster!

Todays calories and log

calories 1886
fat 149 74%
pro 101 22%
carbs 19 4%

Breakfast - sausage and egg yolks
Lunch -Taco salad
Dinner- pizza 4oz wine
Old 03-12-2013, 04:45 PM   #767
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
heh

This show is a great chance to test out what you learned about the challenges of staying on plan with the that last sales trip.
ya if there is something i can eat, otherwise dont eat and be mad...also protein shakes

im at 2500 cals today so far

27g carbs but only 90g protein...need more cals + protein

Last edited by Myles; 03-12-2013 at 04:46 PM..
Old 03-12-2013, 06:43 PM   #768
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: amandacj08
Red - I think the reflux is being triggered by all the extra fat, which is typically a trigger (or its listed in the pamphlet anyway ). I probably ly should eat smaller meals but its hard since I work and I eat too many calories if I don't have definite bfast/lunch/dinner meals. Indeed to figure it out though, cause its miserable.

I'm also struggling with energy and power/strength during my body conditioning classes. I'm considering eating a handful of berries 45/30 mins before hand. I almost didn't make it through today's class and every push-up felt like a concrete block was on my back. Super hard!
Old 03-12-2013, 08:58 PM   #769
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Howdy, everyone! I just wanted to stop by and tell you I'm still keeping on keeping on. I didn't mean to disappear like that, but once you get a little bit behind here... well, you know. You guys are a chatty bunch!

Anyway, I'm fine and still doing HF/LC/MP. I do have one little tid bit to share with you all... Ya know how there is a claim that it can take weeks to get back into ketosis after taking a day off? Well, I don't think that's true of me. I have been having some low blood sugars lately, like maybe four or five times over the last ten days. And there's not really any way around eating some carbs when that happens, so, ugh. It's hateful! It screws up my day something terrible and it seems to always happen in the morning, so I have to really white knuckle it for the rest of the day. And then one day, I just couldn't take it and ended up eating carby crap several times over the course of the day and I was so disappointed in myself bc I was worried that it would be weeks to get back to where I was. But I really don't think it did. I felt very deeply in ketosis the next day. It might have helped that I had an earlyish dinner of a good sized fatty ribeye steak and small salad with lots of blue cheese. I imagine if I had transgressed badly right before bed, that would not have been helpful. But I seem not to have missed a beat, which is a huge relief.

Anyhow... I hope everyone's doing well! I started to read about ten pages back, and then I realized I was ten pages back so I'm totally not caught up.

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb
once a day feeding
Old 03-12-2013, 09:05 PM   #770
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: LC: 04/11 • NK 10/12
Quote:
I've been battling horrendous reflux and yesterday drank a considerable amount of mylanta, it took me from moderate ketones to trace. Anyone else ever have that issue?
I also have battles with acid reflux...tonight, in fact, I'm suffering from overdoing the coffee today. I found that I had more reflux when I started eating higher fat, so hopefully in a week or so you'll be back to normal. Meanwhile, limit your coffee, chocolate and tomato intake - all cause reflux problems.

Mylanta and tums both have carbs in them, which is probably what screwed up your ketones, so go herbal if you can – slippery elm lozenges do the trick without adding a lot of carbs. (They coat your esophagus and stomach and soothe the acid burn.)
Old 03-13-2013, 03:10 AM   #771
Major LCF Poster!

Amanda, hope your reflux gets better. It took me along time to get alot of energy on LC/NK. The first 4 to 6 weeks I had no energy at all. Then when I got adapted I really felt alot better during exercise.

Jayne, glad to hear you got back in ketosis so quick. Don't worry if ya can't catch up, just jump in where ya are.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:15 AM   #772
Major LCF Poster!

weigh in 160.2
see that little point 2 Now I am hip with the modern generation.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:29 AM   #773
Senior LCF Member

its not like im anywhere close to my goal ..

weight come off please...faster like you did 15 years ago, NOW /punch wall
Old 03-13-2013, 05:33 AM   #774
Senior LCF Member

Wednesday weight: 195.8
Yesterday weight: 199.2
Ketone: .9

A 3.4 pound drop overnight? Doesn't sound right but I got on the scale 3 times to check. With such a fast drop I do expect it to go up some again. It seems to be what happens after such a drop. I'm cautiously excited but not throwing confetti in the air just yet. Lol

Yesterday's eats
I really wasn't hungry but made myself eat.
Pecans
Piece of good cheddar and a few macadamia
CO
1 small French fry (not a small order. One fry)
Fettuccine with pesto, olive oil and chicken (shirataki noodles)
Too much tequila. Oops Love that stuff.

Kelly
Old 03-13-2013, 05:42 AM   #775
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lisamt
Stats: 200/187/130
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: December 2012
Weigh in this morning: 190.2, down another pound. I went out with a friend yesterday and had a popcorn tofu po-boy, but only ate half of the bread. I'm estimating the carb count for the sandwich to be around 30 g. I also had an almond milk latte for another 7 carbs. The only other food I ate yesterday was a few turkey slices and swiss cheese rolled up in lettuce.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:45 AM   #776
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lisamt
Stats: 200/187/130
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: December 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasschus View Post
Wednesday weight: 195.8
Yesterday weight: 199.2
Ketone: .9

A 3.4 pound drop overnight? Doesn't sound right but I got on the scale 3 times to check. With such a fast drop I do expect it to go up some again. It seems to be what happens after such a drop. I'm cautiously excited but not throwing confetti in the air just yet. Lol

Yesterday's eats
I really wasn't hungry but made myself eat.
Pecans
Piece of good cheddar and a few macadamia
CO
1 small French fry (not a small order. One fry)
Fettuccine with pesto, olive oil and chicken (shirataki noodles)
Too much tequila. Oops Love that stuff.

Kelly
Maybe the woosh fairy came to visit! That is awesome. I haven't gone near french fries since starting NK, I don't think I could limit myself to just one.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:23 AM   #777
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Morning all new low 150... I just might see 149 by the time we leave in 8 days...the only thing I changed in the last two days was I ate 2 eggs ever day,I feel so good this morning..love it.
Hope all of you have a great day..spring is coming,,,,:-)
Old 03-13-2013, 06:43 AM   #778
Senior LCF Member

Wow! Loving the weigh ins this morning! Congratulations to all!

I did a little blog post about the weigh in and stuff. In case anyone is interested.
Happy Texans: Wednesday Weigh In

Happy Wednesday, everyone!! Looks like the scale gods are pleased with us today.

Kelly
Old 03-13-2013, 07:38 AM   #779
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Red - I think the reflux is being triggered by all the extra fat, which is typically a trigger (or its listed in the pamphlet anyway ). I probably ly should eat smaller meals but its hard since I work and I eat too many calories if I don't have definite bfast/lunch/dinner meals. Indeed to figure it out though, cause its miserable.

I'm also struggling with energy and power/strength during my body conditioning classes. I'm considering eating a handful of berries 45/30 mins before hand. I almost didn't make it through today's class and every push-up felt like a concrete block was on my back. Super hard!
Are you gluten-free and wheat-free? When I got rid of wheat and almost all gluten I stopped getting heartburn that had plagued me for years. I think I've had mild heartburn maybe two times in the last 20ish months since I quit. And it was mild enough that I could just ignore it - something I could never have done before.

Those while-doing-exercise symptoms should disappear at some point.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:42 AM   #780
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post
Howdy, everyone! I just wanted to stop by and tell you I'm still keeping on keeping on. I didn't mean to disappear like that, but once you get a little bit behind here... well, you know. You guys are a chatty bunch!

Anyway, I'm fine and still doing HF/LC/MP. I do have one little tid bit to share with you all... Ya know how there is a claim that it can take weeks to get back into ketosis after taking a day off? Well, I don't think that's true of me. I have been having some low blood sugars lately, like maybe four or five times over the last ten days. And there's not really any way around eating some carbs when that happens, so, ugh. It's hateful! It screws up my day something terrible and it seems to always happen in the morning, so I have to really white knuckle it for the rest of the day. And then one day, I just couldn't take it and ended up eating carby crap several times over the course of the day and I was so disappointed in myself bc I was worried that it would be weeks to get back to where I was. But I really don't think it did. I felt very deeply in ketosis the next day. It might have helped that I had an earlyish dinner of a good sized fatty ribeye steak and small salad with lots of blue cheese. I imagine if I had transgressed badly right before bed, that would not have been helpful. But I seem not to have missed a beat, which is a huge relief.

Anyhow... I hope everyone's doing well! I started to read about ten pages back, and then I realized I was ten pages back so I'm totally not caught up.
Hi Jayne

How many carbs would you estimate that you ate? Or did you track it at all? I'm glad you are feeling better! A juicy ribeye makes everything better heh
Closed Thread