Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2013, 10:03 AM   #601
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzcase View Post
Good for you, Cheryl! My weight was up 3 pounds higher than it was before I went to bed last night! Literally, I weighed myself last night before I hopped into bed and first thing this morning. Couple bathroom trips in between too..

Don't know WTH is going on! lol

Okay, and think hard because this is important, when you saw the reflection of a bottle of cologne in the mirror was the name spelled in the correct order rather than reverse order as it should have been when looking at a mirror image???

50,000 points to the person that can name that movie!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2013, 10:05 AM   #602
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
No pressure Cheryl, but we are all waiting on you to quit bouncing so we can quit bouncing

No pressure ey?
Old 03-10-2013, 10:08 AM   #603
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goolash View Post
as i said yesterday i made pulled pork in teh slow cooker with peppers and onions, and this morning for breakfast i fried some bacon then heated up some of the pork mixture in the fat and re-added the chopped bacon and threw some hot sauce on it, might try day 1 of dairy free today

edit: unfortunately i have no idea how to count calories on the pork i made, maybe weight? but then what about the peppers, argh
I've found that the best way to do this is to weigh the ingredients, add them together and then divide by portion size. Like the cabbage soup stuff I make. If I save half of it then I know that I ate 5oz of ground beef and 5oz of cabbage etc. It is not perfect but across the two days it is going to be about right.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:10 AM   #604
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Myles
Quote:
I've found that the best way to do this is to weigh the ingredients, add them together and then divide by portion size. Like the cabbage soup stuff I make. If I save half of it then I know that I ate 5oz of ground beef and 5oz of cabbage etc. It is not perfect but across the two days it is going to be about right.
what about something like this pork butt tho - it gives off a lot of liquid and my kitchen scale doesnt weigh that high lol, and i dont get liquid everytime i eat it etc

you weigh b4 or after cooking?
Old 03-10-2013, 10:22 AM   #605
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goolash View Post
what about something like this pork butt tho - it gives off a lot of liquid and my kitchen scale doesnt weigh that high lol, and i dont get liquid everytime i eat it etc

you weigh b4 or after cooking?
In this particular case, seeing the pic of your creation, I'd use tongs to dish up some meat, let is rest to allow some of the liquid to drain off and then move the meat to another dish with tongs to weigh it as liquid free as I reasonably could. The jalapenos I'd just guess at. Like, if I dished up at least one whole one but I was sure that there was another .25 of one mixed in there on the plate I wouldn't worry about that little bit. Jalapenos are very LC/NK friendly so missing on your guess isn't a big deal I think.

For meat I always weigh after cooking.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:48 AM   #606
Major LCF Poster!

How in the world can you lose inches and nothing show up on the scale?
I checked earlier and had lost another inch in my waist. I Didn't do all my measurements cause it has only been a couple of weeks, I usually wait a month.

Quote:

Okay, and think hard because this is important, when you saw the reflection of a bottle of cologne in the mirror was the name spelled in the correct order rather than reverse order as it should have been when looking at a mirror image???

50,000 points to the person that can name that movie!
Ooohhh Movie trivia
Hummm.....
I can't stand it
Do tell???
Old 03-10-2013, 11:04 AM   #607
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
How in the world can you lose inches and nothing show up on the scale?
I checked earlier and had lost another inch in my waist. I Didn't do all my measurements cause it has only been a couple of weeks, I usually wait a month.

Ooohhh Movie trivia
Hummm.....
I can't stand it
Do tell???
Water weight and/or LBM gained.

Journey to the Far Side of the Sun (1969)
Old 03-10-2013, 11:20 AM   #608
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dasschus
Stats: 250/195/145
WOE: HFLC/nutritional ketosis
Start Date: February 2013
I just saw in the beginning of this thread that we are not to use net carbs but total carbs. Not that I was anywhere close to 50g but is there a reason not to subtract fiber to get net carbs?
Old 03-10-2013, 12:02 PM   #609
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
I never go over 20.. If I do I will gain or stall
Old 03-10-2013, 12:10 PM   #610
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NKSL55
Stats: 205/185/175
WOE: General LC then NK
Start Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz1959 View Post
I decided to test this evening to see what the impact was. 4.6!

I've been doing low carb for 2 years. I lost about 25 lbs right away and have been stuck at 150. I've been comfortable with that and was more interested in this WOE because it was easy. I don't want to be in the gym 6 days a week. That's always great until something happens and you can't or don't want to. Now I want those 10 lbs to be gone again.

I'm tracking my intake but I guess I need to increase my expenditures.

Is anyone else testing on a regular basis? Are my high numbers something to be concerned about?
4.6 mM BHB, especially in the evening, is nothing to worry about. Somewhere in the 6-8 mM range is where I've seen the ketoacidosis line drawn. I test every day and have been above 4.6, but not often.
Unless you are diabetic your body can just release some insulin and drop your ketone levels.

--
Phillip
Old 03-10-2013, 12:15 PM   #611
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 20, 2012
Quote:
Or you can follow the Linda Sue recipe nutrition and willfully ignore the fact that you doubled some of the ingredients and added plenty of your own in the mix.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:16 PM   #612
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasschus View Post
I just saw in the beginning of this thread that we are not to use net carbs but total carbs. Not that I was anywhere close to 50g but is there a reason not to subtract fiber to get net carbs?
Yes. NK as described by Phinney/Volek in the Living book uses total carbs and Phinney has reiterated total carbs on the podcasts with Jimmy Moore. The 50 total carb limit is, apparently and at least, related to the trigger level for the kidneys to retain water. It seems likely that other metabolic changes happen at about that level too but as far as I know Phinney/Volek haven't addressed it.

NK is also different from the Atkins net carbs approach as there is no carb ladder or critical carb level. I quoted Phinney a few months ago saying that adding carbs back was a puzzling approach for anyone that is metabolically challenged. That is paraphrased but what he said was actually quite a slap at the Atkins method when you consider that he had just co-authored the latest Atkins book.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:17 PM   #613
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasschus View Post
I don't think there is a "reason" behind the logic per se, its just what is recommended. I think theres plenty of room to play around with the carb amounts in NK.. I find if I eat over 30 total I won't lose anything, even if it was 30g of flax seed.

I stand corrected.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:18 PM   #614
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pibble mama
Stats: 289.6/283/175!!
WOE: NK newbie!
Start Date: January 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOPACHO View Post
That is what I was thinking...about a 500 cal differential. Pondering it...might give it a go to see what if anything it yields.
I was doing juddd before this and couldn't stick to the 484 on dd. I have wondered what a 1700/2450 (closer to my weight numbers) would do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
I never go over 20.. If I do I will gain or stall
HOW do you keep your carbs that low? I usually wind up near 30 just from my hwc, cream cheese and avocados! and that isn't adding as many veggies as i would like i kinda miss my veggies! not gonna lie!
Old 03-10-2013, 12:21 PM   #615
Senior LCF Member

Hey Myles, some of the calorie trackers have different options for weighing the meat cooked vs raw. If I were you, I'd weigh my meat raw, then divide it into portions after it was cooked and go off the raw numbers (as long as your portions were equal).

The tracker I use-- two words, one word is the opposite of "out of shape" and the other is the opposite of "night"-- gives you the option to weigh raw vs cooked.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:22 PM   #616
Blabbermouth!!!

Generally, you have to keep the amount of veggies fairly low to keep carbs low and limit the higher carb veggies.

I had 10.5 oz of cabbage with lunch and I am just under 20g total carbs. But I could have had 5oz of cabbage and then 5oz of broccoli for dinner and stayed right at 20g total carbs.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:23 PM   #617
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dasschus
Stats: 250/195/145
WOE: HFLC/nutritional ketosis
Start Date: February 2013
Quote:
Yes. NK as described by Phinney/Volek in the Living book uses total carbs and Phinney has reiterated total carbs on the podcasts with Jimmy Moore. The 50 total carb limit is, apparently and at least, related to the trigger level for the kidneys to retain water. It seems likely that other metabolic changes happen at about that level too but as far as I know Phinney/Volek haven't addressed it.

NK is also different from the Atkins net carbs approach as there is no carb ladder or critical carb level. I quoted Phinney a few months ago saying that adding carbs back was a puzzling approach for anyone that is metabolically challenged. That is paraphrased but what he said was actually quite a slap at the Atkins method when you consider that he had just co-authored the latest Atkins book.
Thanks. I'm still reading the low carb living book so haven't gotten to all the "meat" of how to do everything. I've been going by what I've read from low carb performance book but who know? They may have said not to go by net carbs in that book too! I've had it ingrained in my noggen that it's only the net carbs that matter.

Learned something new today. Thank you!

I've got to get this scale moving in the right direction before I pull my hair out. I still have a good 60 pounds to lose!

I haven't been getting enough protein. Trying to prepare my days by creating menus in advance now. Going to cook up a bunch of chicken today.

Kelly
Old 03-10-2013, 01:03 PM   #618
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Liz1959
Quote:
Originally Posted by NKSL55 View Post
4.6 mM BHB, especially in the evening, is nothing to worry about. Somewhere in the 6-8 mM range is where I've seen the ketoacidosis line drawn. I test every day and have been above 4.6, but not often.
Unless you are diabetic your body can just release some insulin and drop your ketone levels.
--
Phillip
Really? I had not heard/read that before. Are they then stored as fat?
Thanks.

Last edited by Liz1959; 03-10-2013 at 01:12 PM..
Old 03-10-2013, 01:06 PM   #619
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Water weight and/or LBM gained.

Journey to the Far Side of the Sun (1969)
That movie was before my time
Old 03-10-2013, 01:15 PM   #620
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NKSL55
Stats: 205/185/175
WOE: General LC then NK
Start Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz1959 View Post
Really? I had not heard/read that before. Are they they stored as fat?
Thanks.
No, my understanding is that they are burned for energy. Your muscles burn them too. Actually until drjlocarb schooled me otherwise, I would have said all the cells of your body can burn them. But there are a few types (those that lack mitochondria where the majority of oxidative metabolism occurs) that are stuck with anaerobic metabolism.

--
Phillip
Old 03-10-2013, 01:22 PM   #621
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzcase View Post
Hey Myles, some of the calorie trackers have different options for weighing the meat cooked vs raw. If I were you, I'd weigh my meat raw, then divide it into portions after it was cooked and go off the raw numbers (as long as your portions were equal).

The tracker I use-- two words, one word is the opposite of "out of shape" and the other is the opposite of "night"-- gives you the option to weigh raw vs cooked.
haha, thx Casey
Old 03-10-2013, 02:35 PM   #622
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MOPACHO
Stats: 150/142/132 ( 5 ft 9in 42yrs old)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pibble mama View Post
I was doing juddd before this and couldn't stick to the 484 on dd. I have wondered what a 1700/2450 (closer to my weight numbers) would do.
would be interested if you try it. I was never keen on JUDDD due to the VLC DD . I know that would at least for me trigger the feeling of being deprived....but I was curious if the zig zagging approach would work with NK just keeping your cals much closer to weight #'s. I have done zig zag before with other WOE's and it totally worked - keeping your body always guessing. Let us know if you decide to try it.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:33 PM   #623
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pibble mama
Stats: 289.6/283/175!!
WOE: NK newbie!
Start Date: January 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOPACHO View Post
would be interested if you try it. I was never keen on JUDDD due to the VLC DD . I know that would at least for me trigger the feeling of being deprived....but I was curious if the zig zagging approach would work with NK just keeping your cals much closer to weight #'s. I have done zig zag before with other WOE's and it totally worked - keeping your body always guessing. Let us know if you decide to try it.
oh i don't want to do it! lol...i'm enjoying eating (or at least having the freedom to if i want to!) this way and so many calories!

I just had pan roasted chicken thighs in duck fat and i attempted the boursin stuffed portabella mushrooms...but by the time they cook in the oven...the cheese has melted out and is GONE! the picture in the cookbook looked so pretty....mine not so much. And I'm pretty strong in the kitchen! Lol But those crispy chicken thighs...HOLY MOLY!
Old 03-10-2013, 03:41 PM   #624
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: erinisme
Stats: 180/170/140
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 12/12/2012
Quote:
Bump it up slowly and pay attention to how your body responds, particularly with your recent ER visit. Be sure you are drinking adequate amounts of pure water.

You have a follow up appointment with your doc soon don't you?
Have had few tests with doctors. Felt good until today. Have had eating fest today. Over 2000 calories, oops. getting sodium up.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:11 PM   #625
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MOPACHO
Stats: 150/142/132 ( 5 ft 9in 42yrs old)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pibble mama View Post
oh i don't want to do it! lol...i'm enjoying eating (or at least having the freedom to if i want to!) this way and so many calories!

I just had pan roasted chicken thighs in duck fat and i attempted the boursin stuffed portabella mushrooms...but by the time they cook in the oven...the cheese has melted out and is GONE! the picture in the cookbook looked so pretty....mine not so much. And I'm pretty strong in the kitchen! Lol But those crispy chicken thighs...HOLY MOLY!
oh heck that sounds delish!!!! Duck fat and cheese....you will have to try that one again.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:49 PM   #626
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dipasquale
Stats: 137 / 132 / 125
WOE: High Fat Low Carb Ketogenic
Start Date: February 11, 2013
I went off plan today with a 1/2 cup of Whole Foods chocolate ice cream. It was 14g of carbs, which fit into my allowance. It tasted so sweet though that I thought for sure it would kick me out of ketosis, so I did a brief kettlebell workout afterwards. I measured my ketones 2 hours after and they were 1.6. I'm going to measure again in the morning. I was concerned about wanting to eat the rest of the carton, but by the last few spoonfuls it tasted cloyingly sweet. All in all, a worthwhile treat, especially if my ketone levels stay up!

pibble mama - Where did you get the duck fat?
Old 03-10-2013, 04:55 PM   #627
Senior LCF Member

just had a steak...and i was still hungry so i made the shiritaki noodles with peanut butter sauce from the fat fast cookbook...im not sure i like the texture of shiritaki noodles, and this recipe is too peanut buttery... dont know if i can finish it, and not from lack of hunger! ;/

edit: i finished it but i shouldnt have! meh!

Last edited by Myles; 03-10-2013 at 05:03 PM..
Old 03-10-2013, 05:09 PM   #628
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dipasquale
Stats: 137 / 132 / 125
WOE: High Fat Low Carb Ketogenic
Start Date: February 11, 2013
Goolash - I was so conflicted when I made that recipe! I love the sauce but not crazy about the noodles. They remind me of overcooked calamari. I totally ate too much of it. I have found the kelp noodles much more palatable (although surprisingly un-noodle like in their texture)
Old 03-10-2013, 05:12 PM   #629
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipasquale View Post
Goolash - I was so conflicted when I made that recipe! I love the sauce but not crazy about the noodles. They remind me of overcooked calamari. I totally ate too much of it. I have found the kelp noodles much more palatable (although surprisingly un-noodle like in their texture)
i know right, the texture is like bad. LIke soft rubber. I didnt even like the sauce tho, and i normally love thai flavors
Old 03-10-2013, 05:29 PM   #630
Major LCF Poster!

Darin and Myles are you guys feeling better and pain free now?
Closed Thread