Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2013, 05:42 PM   #571
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dipasquale
Stats: 137 / 132 / 125
WOE: High Fat Low Carb Ketogenic
Start Date: February 11, 2013
Mizzcase - I love the egg and avocado combo! My fave right now is 1 egg over medium, about 1/2 an avocado, 2 tsps sour cream and 2 slices bacon chopped. I mash it all up together. Earlier this week I made it at night and ate it cold for breakfast and it was still good. Congrats on your 2" loss at your waist - that's fantastic!

I tried the cabbage cooked in bacon fat with a couple tsps of soy sauce and a squeeze of lemon juice. It was really good! I'll be making that again.

I ended up making some chocolate squares today - dark chocolate, cream cheese, butter and peanut butter. I had to run it through the food processor to get everything to blend but they turned out good.

I checked my ketone levels again this afternoon and it was it 2.1. I'm hoping the scale shows some changes soon for me too! I was 132 this morning.

Goolash - welcome back home! Pork with jalapenos - sounds amazing!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2013, 07:05 PM   #572
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 20, 2012
Dipasquale, how tall are you? We are about the same weight.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:39 PM   #573
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MOPACHO
Stats: 150/142/132 ( 5 ft 9in 42yrs old)
WOE: NK
Curious if anyone has had success cycling calories/zig-zag within the framework of NK? So keeping your NK % just adjusting total cals up and down.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:24 PM   #574
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Liz1959
2 inches is awesome!
I had a couple of weeks last fall when 10 lbs just fell off. I still don't know how or why, except that I went on a trip. Different environment. But it was sudden and in inches! The 10 lbs is back and I still don't know why. I think I will get tested for cortisol. Or maybe I just need to take more trips!

I tested 3.6 on Thursday when I got my meter, and wasn't going to test for a week. I slowed down on the coconut oil, thinking it could be a lot of dietary fat being converted. Only had 1 Tablespoon in my coffee today.
But I over indulged in alcohol last night. Bad. Today I ate egg salad with avocado, pecans, chicken broth, an oz of cheese, and tilapia, all with plenty of fat.

I decided to test this evening to see what the impact was. 4.6!

I've been doing low carb for 2 years. I lost about 25 lbs right away and have been stuck at 150. I've been comfortable with that and was more interested in this WOE because it was easy. I don't want to be in the gym 6 days a week. That's always great until something happens and you can't or don't want to. Now I want those 10 lbs to be gone again.

I'm tracking my intake but I guess I need to increase my expenditures.

Is anyone else testing on a regular basis? Are my high numbers something to be concerned about?
Old 03-10-2013, 05:40 AM   #575
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
weigh in this am 160

log for yesterday

Calories 1467
Fat 110 74%
Pro 73 5%
carb 18 21%

Mycalories were low and my protein was low and my weight goes up
Old 03-10-2013, 05:42 AM   #576
Senior LCF Member

Good for you, Cheryl! My weight was up 3 pounds higher than it was before I went to bed last night! Literally, I weighed myself last night before I hopped into bed and first thing this morning. Couple bathroom trips in between too..

Don't know WTH is going on! lol
Old 03-10-2013, 06:04 AM   #577
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzcase View Post
Good for you, Cheryl! My weight was up 3 pounds higher than it was before I went to bed last night! Literally, I weighed myself last night before I hopped into bed and first thing this morning. Couple bathroom trips in between too..

Must be that darn time change.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:34 AM   #578
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Myles
as i said yesterday i made pulled pork in teh slow cooker with peppers and onions, and this morning for breakfast i fried some bacon then heated up some of the pork mixture in the fat and re-added the chopped bacon and threw some hot sauce on it, might try day 1 of dairy free today

edit: unfortunately i have no idea how to count calories on the pork i made, maybe weight? but then what about the peppers, argh

Last edited by Myles; 03-10-2013 at 06:39 AM..
Old 03-10-2013, 06:37 AM   #579
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pibble mama
Stats: 289.6/283/175!!
WOE: NK newbie!
Start Date: January 2013
Quote:

grrrrrr! time change! gotta be that!
I am with ya! I'm UP 5lbs from friday morning! BUT i was BAD Friday night. I know better too! (so, so much for the weight loss from the fat fast!....however, i feel trimmer?)

Friday I was waaaaaaay over on cals and carbs/ prot was ok. I REALLY MUST GIVE UP ALL ALCOHOL It is my catalyst! Yesterday was about spot on. 108 for protein. I would like to see it at about 125 about 73% fat. That would be a lil higher too...but i'm having trouble balancing higher prot w higher fats

I have HOMEWORK today! Who gets a job and has "homework" like back in school? lol

Ya'll have a great one!
Old 03-10-2013, 07:16 AM   #580
Senior LCF Member

LOL yeah maybe the wine last night had something to do with it.

I'm cracking down on a few things today. So right now, these are the things I'm avoiding:
No grains
No legumes
No sugar
No alcohol
No dairy
No nuts
No fruits
No artificial sweeteners

That looks like a whole lot of "no's", but the only things that will be challenging will be the alcohol and fruit. We will see how it goes.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:53 AM   #581
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JennyP
Stats: 303/296/150
Start Date: March 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by pibble mama View Post
On a day/night before i know i will be washing it (it sometimes takes two shampoos to get all of it out!) I will slather it in my hair (major oil slick lol) and pull it up in a pony tail and just not worry about it. I'm sure it can be used as a light balm, but i tend to get heavy handed with it! I do just use the cheap stuff from wallie world on my hair and body (i recently whipped some up for body butter and added some fragrant oil to it!) I use the expensive organic stuff to go in my food. lol...the skin can wait till i catch up from no working lol
I do this on occasion, but most of the time I just put it on the ends of my hair after washing. I don't use anything with silicones in it, which pretty much limits me to V05, but it works just fine. The conditioner is really just a detangler, so when I've towel-dried my hair, I put enough coconut oil on my hands to just put a light sheen on it (like the size of a red hot), flip my head over, and run the ends of my hair through my palms.

Touchably beautiful hair.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:15 AM   #582
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dipasquale
Stats: 137 / 132 / 125
WOE: High Fat Low Carb Ketogenic
Start Date: February 11, 2013
Liz - I'm testing regularly! I was 2.1 this morning. From what I understand, your numbers will generally be higher at night. You want to test first thing in the morning. I remember hearing on a low carb expert podcast that there is no danger in being higher then 3.0, up to 10.0, but there is also no additional benefit over 3.

Mizzcase - I'm 5'5". The smallest I've ever been is 123 and that was when I did this WOE about 13 years ago. I kept most of it off until about the last 4 years or so, when there has been some weight creep. And then I started fertility drugs last year and my weight quickly ballooned to 140. I'm taking a break from the treatments for now to get my weight back down.

Goolash - the pork and bacon combo sounds awesome! I picked up some corned beef brisket since it's all over the stores and am going cook that in the slow cooker today. I'm looking forward to a low carb reuben - I haven't had one in years!

Today's weight was 132.2. My average weight for this past week is 132.6, so I'm down 3/10 of a pound. It's a small victory, but at least I'm moving in the right direction. That brings my total weight loss to 4.4.

Visually, the change is way more different then what's showing up in the scale, particularly in my stomach and arms. I also just feel great all around! I'm glad I stuck out those first couple weeks.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:27 AM   #583
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Food log - Mar 09, 2013

Numbers and log for Saturday.

Calories: 1,847

Fat: 158
Pro: 79
Car: 31

76/18/6

Breakfast: Coffee, CO, HWC.
Lunch: Soup [ground beef, cabbage, rotel, bacon grease, bouillon]
Dinner: More soup.
Snack: none
Old 03-10-2013, 08:29 AM   #584
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goolash View Post
for lunch i had some brisket meat and for dinner i had made some slow cooked pork with jalapenos, onions, green pepeprs and garlic and i pulled it apart, put some in a pan with a bit of butter, put a bit of tomatillo salsa and cheese and topped with sour cream
Yowzer
Old 03-10-2013, 08:33 AM   #585
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dasschus
Stats: 250/195/145
WOE: HFLC/nutritional ketosis
Start Date: February 2013
Sunday weight: 200.3
Yesterday: 200.3

Ahhhhhhh! Pulling my hair out a little. But that's ok. Tummy is so much flatter that I ordered new clothes yesterday. And there are hormone issues right now.

Interesting little self experiment. I had some diet coke a couple of weeks ago and my blood sugar went up. Last night I went out for some fajitas and got diet coke. I was given 1 refill and a cup to go. This morning my fasting blood sugar was 100 while it is usually 83.

I've had the fajitas before and it has never messed up my glucose levels so it looks like the Diet Coke is the culprit.

Goodbye, diet coke. We have to break up. It's not me, it's you.

Kelly
Old 03-10-2013, 08:41 AM   #586
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinisme View Post
since Darrin posted the giant firm talking to on the main page about eating salt. (I took it real personal).
I had my cabbage and beef soup, added soup base and then a teaspoon of salt on top. It made me realize that I never am a salt person. also bought some potassium supplements....my heart seems to be doing odd things again. since the salt. My pulse seems a little high. I think I might have hit 2000mg today perhaps more. my food log over the past 5 days would get me sent to the wood shed, sodium wise.
BTW, if you don't know, there is a product, chicken base, beef base etc that is like bouillon but the consistency of wet sand. I found out about it when I was a restaurant cook. much better taste. and the brand I have right now (Ithink mccormick) doesn't use MSG. probably cheaper too.
Bump it up slowly and pay attention to how your body responds, particularly with your recent ER visit. Be sure you are drinking adequate amounts of pure water.

You have a follow up appointment with your doc soon don't you?
Old 03-10-2013, 08:46 AM   #587
Major LCF Poster!

Any body got some help on planter warts. DH has 4 and he is getting in bad shape. He is walking like a grandpa now
Vitamin D cured mine a couple of years ago but it is not doing it for him.
Anyone have a cure?
Old 03-10-2013, 09:06 AM   #588
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Ok, ok, today

B: cabbage fried with bacon and onions, 2 HB eggs
S: small bowl of strawberries, blueberries, and blackberries
L: 1 hb egg mashed with 1 avocado, sprinkled with salt and drizzled with avocado
D: Thai seafood curry hotpot w/ a glass of sauvignon blanc
After: more wine

I feel like I had way too much to eat today, but whatever! I've lost 2 INCHES off my waist since Monday, when I decided to screw counting calories and just worry about eating whole, nonprocessed foods. Still think I'm pretty fat heavy though.
Fried cabbage for breakfast. Now we have some context for the look of horror regarding the beef stew breakfast a day or two ago

2"!!
Old 03-10-2013, 09:12 AM   #589
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
Any body got some help on planter warts. DH has 4 and he is getting in bad shape. He is walking like a grandpa now
Vitamin D cured mine a couple of years ago but it is not doing it for him.
Anyone have a cure?
Yes!! Organic apple cider vinegar. I use Braggs. You can google it 'warts apple cider vinegar'.

What I've done about a dozen times successfully is to dip a cotton swab in some straight acv and daub some on a few times a day. There was one site that said:

-Soak a piece of a cotton ball in some diluted ACV.
-use a band-aid to hold cotton in place over the wart.
-redo dressing once or twice a day.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:20 AM   #590
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Fried cabbage for breakfast. Now we have some context for the look of horror regarding the beef stew breakfast a day or two ago

2"!!
LOL! He ate the fried cabbage with me. He loves it! I'm slow roasting a 3 pound corned beef brisket all day for dinner tonight and we are having it on the side as well. Can't.get.enough.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:28 AM   #591
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Yes!! Organic apple cider vinegar. I use Braggs. You can google it 'warts apple cider vinegar'.

What I've done about a dozen times successfully is to dip a cotton swab in some straight acv and daub some on a few times a day. There was one site that said:

-Soak a piece of a cotton ball in some diluted ACV.
-use a band-aid to hold cotton in place over the wart.
-redo dressing once or twice a day.
Thanks Red, we will try it.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:31 AM   #592
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOPACHO View Post
Curious if anyone has had success cycling calories/zig-zag within the framework of NK? So keeping your NK % just adjusting total cals up and down.
I know there are some people doing it JUDDD style with really huge calorie deficits.

I think it'd be interesting to try it with a very reasonable calorie deficit like, say, a 500 calorie difference between the up and down. And both days would need to be a realistic amount of calories avoiding the very low calorie paradigm.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:37 AM   #593
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipasquale View Post
I tried the cabbage cooked in bacon fat with a couple tsps of soy sauce and a squeeze of lemon juice. It was really good! I'll be making that again.
I make some chicken stir fry like that. Cube or shred the chicken, fry with a very little bit of onions and a few tbs of La Choy (wheat free) soy sauce. Then throw in the cabbage and more soy sauce. I also add some red pepper flakes.

Usually I'll cut up the chicken, put it in a gallon zip lock, add a tbs or two of soy sauce, some onion powder, some garlic powder, some fresh ground black pepper and some red pepper flakes. Mush it around and let it sit in the fridge for half an hour or so and then dump it into the hot skillet.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:44 AM   #594
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dasschus
Stats: 250/195/145
WOE: HFLC/nutritional ketosis
Start Date: February 2013
Quote:
I make some chicken stir fry like that. Cube or shred the chicken, fry with a very little bit of onions and a few tbs of La Choy (wheat free) soy sauce. Then throw in the cabbage and more soy sauce. I also add some red pepper flakes.

Usually I'll cut up the chicken, put it in a gallon zip lock, add a tbs or two of soy sauce, some onion powder, some garlic powder, some fresh ground black pepper and some red pepper flakes. Mush it around and let it sit in the fridge for half an hour or so and then dump it into the hot skillet.
I'm trying this! I've never been a bid cabbage fan but this sounds pretty darn good.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:49 AM   #595
Blabbermouth!!!

Weigh-in Mar 10, 2013

Weigh-in this morning ... 200.3 so down .2 from yesterday. 75% of the calories from the almonds are from fat so maybe that is a factor.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:54 AM   #596
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz1959 View Post
2 inches is awesome!
I had a couple of weeks last fall when 10 lbs just fell off. I still don't know how or why, except that I went on a trip. Different environment. But it was sudden and in inches! The 10 lbs is back and I still don't know why. I think I will get tested for cortisol. Or maybe I just need to take more trips!

I tested 3.6 on Thursday when I got my meter, and wasn't going to test for a week. I slowed down on the coconut oil, thinking it could be a lot of dietary fat being converted. Only had 1 Tablespoon in my coffee today.
But I over indulged in alcohol last night. Bad. Today I ate egg salad with avocado, pecans, chicken broth, an oz of cheese, and tilapia, all with plenty of fat.

I decided to test this evening to see what the impact was. 4.6!

I've been doing low carb for 2 years. I lost about 25 lbs right away and have been stuck at 150. I've been comfortable with that and was more interested in this WOE because it was easy. I don't want to be in the gym 6 days a week. That's always great until something happens and you can't or don't want to. Now I want those 10 lbs to be gone again.

I'm tracking my intake but I guess I need to increase my expenditures.

Is anyone else testing on a regular basis? Are my high numbers something to be concerned about?
I don't test but I have read that menu items can inflate blood ketone readings.

Here is a thread that might have useful information for you:

Blood ketone testing
Old 03-10-2013, 09:56 AM   #597
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Myles
Quote:
Yowzer
Old 03-10-2013, 09:57 AM   #598
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
weigh in this am 160

log for yesterday

Calories 1467
Fat 110 74%
Pro 73 5%
carb 18 21%

Mycalories were low and my protein was low and my weight goes up
No pressure Cheryl, but we are all waiting on you to quit bouncing so we can quit bouncing
Old 03-10-2013, 09:59 AM   #599
Major LCF Poster!

We tried a new cabbage dish the other nite.
I fried up some cabbage in a little butter or bacon grease(can't remember). Then I added a litte chicken broth, not much, I wanted the liquid to cook out. I added a good does of red pepper flakes. When the cabbage was tender and most of the broth was cooked out, I added in some cream cheese, about 4 oz. It was really good and high fat. I got it pretty spicy which we like.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:02 AM   #600
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MOPACHO
Stats: 150/142/132 ( 5 ft 9in 42yrs old)
Quote:
I know there are some people doing it JUDDD style with really huge calorie deficits.

I think it'd be interesting to try it with a very reasonable calorie deficit like, say, a 500 calorie difference between the up and down. And both days would need to be a realistic amount of calories avoiding the very low calorie paradigm.
That is what I was thinking...about a 500 cal differential. Pondering it...might give it a go to see what if anything it yields.
Closed Thread