Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2013, 09:42 AM   #541
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dasschus
Stats: 250/195/145
WOE: HFLC/nutritional ketosis
Start Date: February 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyP View Post
Metformin makes me nauseous, but I am still taking it because I am quite insulin resistant. I had gestational diabetes all three pregnancies, and I was on pretty high doses of insulin on the last one. I will be quite pleased if I can get off of it someday, but I'm not going to be surprised if it doesn't happen. At least I can stave off the damage that elevated blood glucose can cause later on in life, as long as I keep away from the carbs!
We have a lot in common. The dr said I was one of the worst cases he had of insulin resistance when they did the glucose tolerance test. It was pretty bad. And weight loss has not been easy!! I started at 250 pounds, got down to 172, then bounced back to 209. So I'm trying to work my way back down.

We can do it!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2013, 10:15 AM   #542
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 20, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by pibble mama View Post
Do you make your own ghee? or where do you find it? Am i just not "seeing" it at publix? Have I mentioned I CAN'T WAIT for WF???
No, I buy it from that big e-commerce website that mostly specializes in books and is named after a rainforest in South America..Purity Farm Organic Ghee.. very good. Maybe Fresh Market sells it?

Hopefully by the time WF opens here, we will already be in Austin.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:40 AM   #543
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JennyP
Stats: 303/296/150
WOE: NK
Start Date: March 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasschus View Post

We can do it!
YES MA'AM!!!!!!
Old 03-09-2013, 10:42 AM   #544
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
Mizzcase, how do you use your ghee? I made some last weekend, but discovered I don't really like it in BPC - apparently removing the milk solids keeps it from emulsifying the way melted butter does, so I get this lovely oil slick on top of my coffee. Now I need to find some other uses for the stuff.

I'm kind of annoyed right now...my ketones are good, I've stuck to my calorie goal of 1750/day for two weeks, started walking every other day, and had a big trip to Seattle in which I wound up walking for 4 hours straight on Thursday (so big calorie burn)...and my weight is up. I don't get it.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:49 AM   #545
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JennyP
Stats: 303/296/150
Start Date: March 2013
Quote:
It is super duper good for damaged hair also!!
I've been using it for years on my hair, and I have the softest hair on the block!
Old 03-09-2013, 10:53 AM   #546
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryKate View Post
Mizzcase, how do you use your ghee? I made some last weekend, but discovered I don't really like it in BPC - apparently removing the milk solids keeps it from emulsifying the way melted butter does, so I get this lovely oil slick on top of my coffee. Now I need to find some other uses for the stuff.

I'm kind of annoyed right now...my ketones are good, I've stuck to my calorie goal of 1750/day for two weeks, started walking every other day, and had a big trip to Seattle in which I wound up walking for 4 hours straight on Thursday (so big calorie burn)...and my weight is up. I don't get it.
I use it for frying.. mostly eggs. I'll also mix it into vegetables when I'm done steaming them. The ghee I use has a very mellow flavor.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:21 AM   #547
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Good morning everyone
Old 03-09-2013, 11:26 AM   #548
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I've been using it for years on my hair, and I have the softest hair on the block!
How do you use it for your hair? I've got a bad case of frizzies and need help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Good morning everyone
Good morning!!
Old 03-09-2013, 11:49 AM   #549
Blabbermouth!!!

Weigh-in mar 09, 2013

Weigh-in this morning ... 200.5 a sort of big bounce but all things considered I'm surprised it wasn't bigger. More drama around here early in the afternoon and I ended up staying up half the night because I just could not bring myself to go to bed. So I just wasted time catching up on some TV episodes on the internet till all hours of the night.

I also ended up at about 5000 calories for the day lol. All the extra was almonds. I ate a whole bag of them. They shouldn't have been in the house in the first place but I'd got them a couple of days ago at the store. My stunningly successful strategy for avoiding LC friendly cheat food is to not have it in the house. If I don't think I am strong enough to keep from buying it then I do not go to the store that day. 99% of the time that works because whatever I need I can usually do without for another 24 hours or whatever till I feel strong enough to make it out of the store unscathed. I'm not tempted by ordinary carby cheat food since it is almost always wheat based and no one else around here buys that stuff anyway. But I felt like I had to go this last time and I ended up bringing home those dang almonds but no 90% bars which was a partial victory. Well, really, it is a good thing I didn't get them cause I'd have eaten all of them too. Bleh.

Since I ate them so late at night I am going to combine today and yesterday to (quasi) average my calories and macros. I'm thinking that I'll be able to do pretty low calories today so that across the two days my calories will be close to right.

I blew through my total carb limit of course but I hope that the high fiber content will mitigate some of the damage. Interestingly, my sodium for yesterday was not through the roof coming in at about 4g. Protein was about 3g/targetWeight_kg though. I'm curious to see tomorrow's weigh-in.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:56 AM   #550
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I am finding that I am really struggling to get enough fat. This is definitely taking some getting used to. And the LC flu has really got me down. I'm supplementing, but it's just coming and going. I'm not giving in though; I've been very excited this week to get rid of my cankles!
Saying adios to the cankles is a huge success!!

That is one of the many things that continually gives me positive feedback about LC/NK - every time I see my ankle bones I feel good.

Have you read Dr. Eades' blog two-part blog post about getting through induction? Google 'dr eades tips & tricks'. It is really excellent.

Butter, CO, EVOO, bacon grease and fatty meats like bacon and pork sausage can help get fat grams up. I add bacon grease to my boiled cabbage stuff for the extra fat and butter too sometimes. Last time I had fish I melted half an ounce of butter and fattened up the cooked fish with it.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:01 PM   #551
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Captain's log
You know the first thing I thought of, with several of us bouncing the last week or so, was of the Typhon Expanse lol
Old 03-09-2013, 12:04 PM   #552
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Quote:
Weigh-in this morning ... 200.5 a sort of big bounce but all things considered I'm surprised it wasn't bigger. More drama around here early in the afternoon and I ended up staying up half the night because I just could not bring myself to go to bed. So I just wasted time catching up on some TV episodes on the internet till all hours of the night.

I also ended up at about 5000 calories for the day lol. All the extra was almonds. I ate a whole bag of them. They shouldn't have been in the house in the first place but I'd got them a couple of days ago at the store. My stunningly successful strategy for avoiding LC friendly cheat food is to not have it in the house. If I don't think I am strong enough to keep from buying it then I do not go to the store that day. 99% of the time that works because whatever I need I can usually do without for another 24 hours or whatever till I feel strong enough to make it out of the store unscathed. I'm not tempted by ordinary carby cheat food since it is almost always wheat based and no one else around here buys that stuff anyway. But I felt like I had to go this last time and I ended up bringing home those dang almonds but no 90% bars which was a partial victory. Well, really, it is a good thing I didn't get them cause I'd have eaten all of them too. Bleh.

Since I ate them so late at night I am going to combine today and yesterday to (quasi) average my calories and macros. I'm thinking that I'll be able to do pretty low calories today so that across the two days my calories will be close to right.

I blew through my total carb limit of course but I hope that the high fiber content will mitigate some of the damage. Interestingly, my sodium for yesterday was not through the roof coming in at about 4g. Protein was about 3g/targetWeight_kg though. I'm curious to see tomorrow's weigh-in.

Your metabolism is in great shape
LC and NK are awesome because when we have an off day and overdo it it doesn't set us up to go so crazy.
Have a better day
Old 03-09-2013, 12:06 PM   #553
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I have a question....has anyone ever experienced really dry skin while doing this? I have noticed in the past week my face and feet (weird) have became ABNORMALLY dry...and I am a freak for skin care ( I AM NOT going to do that age gracefully crap...FIGHT all the way! ) not sure what is going on and if it is food related or not?
It could be related to cellular trash being released from fat tissue as it is used. Apparently debris accumulates in adipose tissue and gets released back into the system as the tissue contents are used for energy.

My forehead developed a strange sort of dry patch 3 or 4 weeks ago that seems to be gone now.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:12 PM   #554
Major LCF Poster!

A word of warning in the movie department,
Taken 2 was a big fat stinker!
Of course we had several laughs making fun of it.
Not as bad as The Grey, but Liam really let me down.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:19 PM   #555
Major LCF Poster!

Geez almonds can kill me. I used to make the best firehouse almonds with garlic powder chili powder and Cayenne. They are so good. I had to quit making them because me and DH would at them all. He's a BS (born skinny) but I am Not.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:20 PM   #556
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lisamt
Stats: 200/187/130
Start Date: December 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzcase View Post
No, I buy it from that big e-commerce website that mostly specializes in books and is named after a rainforest in South America..Purity Farm Organic Ghee.. very good. Maybe Fresh Market sells it?

The Purity Farm's ghee is so good! I'm almost out now, but I've been using it to cook eggs or saute chicken breast.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:24 PM   #557
Senior LCF Member

This is so weird. I'm wearing shorts that I used to wear when I was around 20 pounds lighter. But they fit. I'm not complaining!!
Now if the scale will join the party.

Kelly
Old 03-09-2013, 12:27 PM   #558
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

it happens. I'm a sucker for almonds. At least you kept it fairly low carb and didn't fall face first into a bunch of Reese's cups. That's based upon a true story. Hehehe

It'll be back down. Wishing you a very stress free weekend.

Kelly
Old 03-09-2013, 12:31 PM   #559
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
This is so weird. I'm wearing shorts that I used to wear when I was around 20 pounds lighter. But they fit. I'm not complaining!!
Now if the scale will join the party.

Kelly
I know, same here. I haven't lost any more weight but my kids told me 5 or 6 times this morning that I was smaller. My husband said it too. Makes me happy. That stupid scale needs to git wid da program.
My daughter grabbed my arm this am to tell me something. Then she stopped and grabbed it again and said. Hey where is the rest of you?
Old 03-09-2013, 12:32 PM   #560
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pibble mama
Stats: 289.6/283/175!!
WOE: NK newbie!
Start Date: January 2013
Quote:
The cysts are on our ovaries because of PCOS. It usually goes hand in hand with insulin resistance. They're not dangerous, from what I understand, but it's not a fun thing to have. I'm really hoping low carb will heal both the insulin resistance and PCOS at the same time.
**WATCH OUT MEN: TMI ALERT!!**
I KNEW what pcos was. Sorry, i'm blaming age! I have had them on my ovaries before and now in my uterus (5-6) I've always wondered if they had any bearing at all on my weight issues, etc. Sorry ya'll are going through that!

Quote:

love the descriptive lead for the store! and JEALOUS that you will be in Austin soon! There are some AWESOME paleo people out there (GIANT bloggers, etc) and the area is very receptive to the lifestyle!

Quote:
How do you use it for your hair? I've got a bad case of frizzies and need help.
Good morning!!
On a day/night before i know i will be washing it (it sometimes takes two shampoos to get all of it out!) I will slather it in my hair (major oil slick lol) and pull it up in a pony tail and just not worry about it. I'm sure it can be used as a light balm, but i tend to get heavy handed with it! I do just use the cheap stuff from wallie world on my hair and body (i recently whipped some up for body butter and added some fragrant oil to it!) I use the expensive organic stuff to go in my food. lol...the skin can wait till i catch up from no working lol

Quote:
It could be related to cellular trash being released from fat tissue as it is used. Apparently debris accumulates in adipose tissue and gets released back into the system as the tissue contents are used for energy.

My forehead developed a strange sort of dry patch 3 or 4 weeks ago that seems to be gone now.
make sense! It was just weird!

I am ADDICTED to avocados drizzles w/ macadamia nut oil and broiled w a sprinkle of sharp cheddar.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:33 PM   #561
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
A word of warning in the movie department,
Taken 2 was a big fat stinker!
Of course we had several laughs making fun of it.
Not as bad as The Grey, but Liam really let me down.
No kidding. They could have cloned the first movie using almost anything as a device to have LN kick some serious butt again but chose the lamest possible story line.

I have my fingers crossed that they won't destroy Salt when they make the sequel.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:43 PM   #562
Senior LCF Member

Had this for lunch, and I can guarantee you, it will be recurring with astonishing frequency:

1 hardboiled egg, mixed with 1 mashed up avocado (yes, a whole one, it was pretty small though).. grind some salt on top, mix it all up, drizzle with some EVOO

OMG, my body is so happy right now!
Old 03-09-2013, 12:47 PM   #563
Blabbermouth!!!

NSVs are so much more meaningful than scale victories
Old 03-09-2013, 12:48 PM   #564
Blabbermouth!!!

Yeah, that is why I don't keep almonds in the house. I just cannot seem to control myself with them.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:06 PM   #565
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Myles
i didnt count calories today, but for breakfast i had bacon and eggs and a protein shake, for lunch i had some brisket meat and for dinner i had made some slow cooked pork with jalapenos, onions, green pepeprs and garlic and i pulled it apart, put some in a pan with a bit of butter, put a bit of tomatillo salsa and cheese and topped with sour cream

for dessert i will probably mix some cream cheese and splenda or something

good to be home, operation eliminate dairy needs to start soon but still googling ideas
Old 03-09-2013, 04:19 PM   #566
Senior LCF Member

g
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolash View Post
i didnt count calories today, but for breakfast i had bacon and eggs and a protein shake, for lunch i had some brisket meat and for dinner i had madesome slow cooked pork with jalapenos, onions, green pepeprs and garlic and i pulled it apart, put some in a pan with a bit of butter, put a bit of tomatillo salsa and cheese and topped with sour cream

for dessert i will probably mix some cream cheese and splenda or something

good to be home, operation eliminate dairy needs to start soon but still googling ideas
Welcome home!!! Certainly a challenging trip for you. I was really impressed by your dedication though. I know it wasn't easy.

Hey guys, Google cream cheese pancakes I breathe I'm hungry. Those pncakes are really good and perfect for us. I buy Walden farms pancake syrup because they don't use maltitol. These are even better with some bacon or sausage. Easy to make too.

Kelly
Old 03-09-2013, 04:23 PM   #567
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: erinisme
Stats: 180/170/140
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 12/12/2012
since Darrin posted the giant firm talking to on the main page about eating salt. (I took it real personal).
I had my cabbage and beef soup, added soup base and then a teaspoon of salt on top. It made me realize that I never am a salt person. also bought some potassium supplements....my heart seems to be doing odd things again. since the salt. My pulse seems a little high. I think I might have hit 2000mg today perhaps more. my food log over the past 5 days would get me sent to the wood shed, sodium wise.
BTW, if you don't know, there is a product, chicken base, beef base etc that is like bouillon but the consistency of wet sand. I found out about it when I was a restaurant cook. much better taste. and the brand I have right now (Ithink mccormick) doesn't use MSG. probably cheaper too.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:54 PM   #568
Senior LCF Member

Ok, ok, today

B: cabbage fried with bacon and onions, 2 HB eggs
S: small bowl of strawberries, blueberries, and blackberries
L: 1 hb egg mashed with 1 avocado, sprinkled with salt and drizzled with avocado
D: Thai seafood curry hotpot w/ a glass of sauvignon blanc
After: more wine

I feel like I had way too much to eat today, but whatever! I've lost 2 INCHES off my waist since Monday, when I decided to screw counting calories and just worry about eating whole, nonprocessed foods. Still think I'm pretty fat heavy though.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:03 PM   #569
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Ok, ok, today

L: 1 hb egg mashed with 1 avocado, sprinkled with salt and drizzled with avocado

I feel like I had way too much to eat today, but whatever! I've lost 2 INCHES off my waist since Monday, when I decided to screw counting calories and just worry about eating whole, nonprocessed foods. Still think I'm pretty fat heavy though.
Wow 2 inches
That is awesome!
Old 03-09-2013, 05:06 PM   #570
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pibble mama
Stats: 289.6/283/175!!
WOE: NK newbie!
Start Date: January 2013
Quote:
g
Hey guys, Google cream cheese pancakes I breathe I'm hungry. Those pncakes are really good and perfect for us. I buy Walden farms pancake syrup because they don't use maltitol. These are even better with some bacon or sausage. Easy to make too.

Kelly
Those rock! I love them when i am craving pancakes!

Quote:
Ok, ok, today

awesome inches lost!
Closed Thread