Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 06:39 PM   #511
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by dipasquale View Post
My foot keeps cramping up tonight! So weird - I've been drinking lots of water, took my magnesium and had 1.5 servings of chicken broth today. I actually used to get them quite a bit on a 'normal' diet, so it might not have anything to do with the changes.
Unless you are on BP meds you should probably supplement with potassium too.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2013, 06:40 PM   #512
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzcase View Post
Red, I had all those symptoms before, but turns out it was just double lung pneumonia. Doesn't sound like you have that. Hope you feel better!
Yeow. No, for sure that is not whatever it was that was bothering me
Old 03-08-2013, 06:40 PM   #513
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
LOL I have no problem keep the little kids out of my chocolate. If they say they want some I just give them a taste. They never ask for it again. If they see me eating it they just make a face now.
I made that face the first time I tried it too heh
Old 03-08-2013, 06:43 PM   #514
Blabbermouth!!!

Food log - Mar 08, 2013

Numbers and log for today.

Calories: 2,302

Fat: 191
Pro: 129
Car: 21

73/24/3

Breakfast: Coffee, CO, HWC.
Lunch: Steak bites, cabbage w/bouillon and bacon grease.
Dinner: The rest of the steak bites.
Snack: HWC floats
End of Day: 1oz CO.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:23 PM   #515
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Log for today

calories 1851
fat 153 75%
Pro 91 20%
carbs 22 5%
Old 03-08-2013, 07:54 PM   #516
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dasschus
Stats: 250/195/145
WOE: HFLC/nutritional ketosis
Start Date: February 2013
Captain's log

Calories: 1606
Fat: 105
Protein: 68
Carb: 3

76.7/22.2/1.1
Old 03-08-2013, 07:56 PM   #517
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pibble mama View Post
this was coconut milk, water, cinnamon, hershey's dark cocoa powder and a smidge of chipotle. i use the davinci's chocolate syrup to sweeten it. Have you tried the swerve sweeteners? I really like those...they are supposed to be natural, but they do have one of the fillers in them...can't remember which one. I am trying to back off some of the sweeteners. But i have such a sweet tooth.....it is hard! I highly recommend the book! It is only $5 digital and I will use those recipes over and over!~ Very easy way to get the fat up and just add protein to it!
I haven't tried the swerve yet, Hadn't heard of them that I can remeber. When I first started LC I picked up some sweetners and tried them. I broke out in a rash that took nearly a month to clear up. Since then I have been leary to try them. I hate the taste of almost all the ones I have tried too. I hate diet sodas too. They all taste like chemicals and rubbing alcohol to me.
I might look for some swerve and try them.
I even grew some stevia last year and hated the fresh plants too.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:02 PM   #518
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
Swerve is erythritol and oligosaccharides. Erythritol is the only sugar alcohol that doesn't give me problems, but it has the minty aftertaste going if you use too much in your recipe. For the price they're charging for Swerve, I'd just buy the two sweeteners and mix it yourself - you'd get double the amount of sweetener.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:35 AM   #519
Major LCF Poster!

Weight in 158.5

I know my weight is stuck and while it can be aggravating, I am still so happy.
I have thyroid problems and am holding steady. I do not take any meds and my weight is going down, however slowly. When I was on low fat high carb my weight was going up and I was always starving.
So even though it is slow, I feel so good and I am managing my thyroid with no meds and I am losing.
Any time I get discouraged my husband reminds me of how much better I am and how I have all this energy.
I used to never have the energy to keep up with him and now he is the napper.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:55 AM   #520
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Myles
Quote:

Myles, I cut out dairy last week and feel amazing without it! Don't have that "heavy" feeling I usually had after eating many dairy-centric dishes. The only thing I miss is heavy cream in my coffee-- coconut milk doesn't cut it in that arena.
Casey, like ..EVERYTHING at once? Dairy, Butter, HWC, CHEESE?
Old 03-09-2013, 03:59 AM   #521
Senior LCF Member

I hate sales trips. As far as my [non existent] weight loss goes anyway. The scale showed i was up like 4 lbs. Now i know i didn't REALLY gain 4 lbs, so it must be water weight or whatever from that piece of pie and some rice i ate which im assuming kicked me out of ketosis.

Anyways its 6 am on saturday morning and i woke up and had a protein shake with a big pour of HWC cuz i was STARRRVING when i woke up. Then i remembered i was supposed to cut out dairy. Well i might start that tmrw now cuz i see that i still have some sour cream id like to use up and not waste. I bought some shiritaki noodles before i left so perhaps some fat fast food is a good idea.

Should i go cold turkey on all the dairy at once or just do one thing at a time, and if so what? I'm almost like..scared to do it because thats how i get so much of my fat

Last edited by Myles; 03-09-2013 at 04:00 AM..
Old 03-09-2013, 04:56 AM   #522
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 20, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolash View Post
Casey, like ..EVERYTHING at once? Dairy, Butter, HWC, CHEESE?
Yup, all gone! The only thing I am still using is ghee (clarified butter).. its not really even considered dairy because all the milk solids have been removed. Its sometimes called "butter fat".. Too replace the dairy, I have been cooking with coconut oil and bacon fat.. using ghee where I'd normally use butter (cooking eggs, mixing with veggies, etc), and using coconut milk in place of cream. I haven't been subbing for cheese yet since I didn't really eat a ton of it.

The switch hasn't been that hard at all, and I've had no cravings!
Old 03-09-2013, 05:41 AM   #523
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Yup, all gone! The only thing I am still using is ghee (clarified butter).. its not really even considered dairy because all the milk solids have been removed. Its sometimes called "butter fat".. Too replace the dairy, I have been cooking with coconut oil and bacon fat.. using ghee where I'd normally use butter (cooking eggs, mixing with veggies, etc), and using coconut milk in place of cream. I haven't been subbing for cheese yet since I didn't really eat a ton of it.

Do you have your daily menus posted up anywhere where they're all in one place? I need ideas to plan meals before i embark on this or i will surely fail
Old 03-09-2013, 06:32 AM   #524
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Weight in 158.5

I know my weight is stuck and while it can be aggravating, I am still so happy.
I have thyroid problems and am holding steady. I do not take any meds and my weight is going down, however slowly. When I was on low fat high carb my weight was going up and I was always starving.
So even though it is slow, I feel so good and I am managing my thyroid with no meds and I am losing.
Any time I get discouraged my husband reminds me of how much better I am and how I have all this energy.
I used to never have the energy to keep up with him and now he is the napper.
That's so great! I also have thyroid problems, insulin resistance, PCOS and borderline high blood pressure. Dr. Wanted to put me on 2 thyroid meds and metformin. The metformin gave me chest pains so I just stopped taking all medication and decided to do this with a lifestyle change. My doctor basically said it can't be done without the meds but I want to show it can! And your weight loss success gives me hope!

I was also always hungry on low fat, high carb. This? Hardly hungry at all. I don't even crave sweets. Now if the scale will give me a break and start heading down again,

Keep up the good work! Very happy to see you doing this without the meds and succeeding.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:33 AM   #525
Senior LCF Member

Saturday weight: 200.3
Yesterday's weight: 201
Old 03-09-2013, 06:46 AM   #526
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
Start Date: March 20, 2012
Quote:
Do you have your daily menus posted up anywhere where they're all in one place? I need ideas to plan meals before i embark on this or i will surely fail
Hey, not specifically.. I pop into this thread to post what I've been eating usually. I am a creature of habit and am perfectly happy eating the same meal 3 times a day, so I think that has helped alot with restricting different food groups.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:18 AM   #527
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lisamt
Stats: 200/187/130
Start Date: December 2012
My weight was up almost 3 lbs this morning. I guess that's to be expected after my carb up on Thursday; it just didn't show up right away. I'm sure it will be gone within a week if I stick to NK.

I wasn't very hungry on Friday and ended the day at under 800 calories and less than 20 carbs. I'm going to aim for 1500 calories today.

I usually have eggs for breakfast, but decided to mix things up this morning and made a sandwich with leftover baked chicken, mayo, parmesan, spinach, and a LC flatout wrap. I felt like I needed the protein boost after not eating much yesterday.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:23 AM   #528
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisamt View Post
My weight was up almost 3 lbs this morning. I guess that's to be expected after my carb up on Thursday; it just didn't show up right away. I'm sure it will be gone within a week if I stick to NK.
Mine always shows up two days afterwards without fail. It'll go back down. That's water weight anyway.

Kelly
Old 03-09-2013, 07:24 AM   #529
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JennyP
Stats: 303/296/150
Start Date: March 2013
I am finding that I am really struggling to get enough fat. This is definitely taking some getting used to. And the LC flu has really got me down. I'm supplementing, but it's just coming and going. I'm not giving in though; I've been very excited this week to get rid of my cankles!
Old 03-09-2013, 07:25 AM   #530
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pibble mama
Stats: 289.6/283/175!!
WOE: NK newbie!
Start Date: January 2013
Quote:
I hate sales trips. As far as my [non existent] weight loss goes anyway. The scale showed i was up like 4 lbs. Now i know i didn't REALLY gain 4 lbs, so it must be water weight or whatever from that piece of pie and some rice i ate which im assuming kicked me out of ketosis.

Anyways its 6 am on saturday morning and i woke up and had a protein shake with a big pour of HWC cuz i was STARRRVING when i woke up. Then i remembered i was supposed to cut out dairy. Well i might start that tmrw now cuz i see that i still have some sour cream id like to use up and not waste. I bought some shiritaki noodles before i left so perhaps some fat fast food is a good idea.

Should i go cold turkey on all the dairy at once or just do one thing at a time, and if so what? I'm almost like..scared to do it because thats how i get so much of my fat
I remember everytime I fly I retain water and my skin gets really dry that might be part of it. Don't beat yourself up, you did rather well given your circumstances! And you are home and ready to get right back on track!
As far as the dairy goes, decide what you can live without the most and start there if you don't want to go cold turkey all at once. And maybe for the coffee, start off w/ 1/2 hwc +1/2 coconut cream (milk) and slowly wean yourself? I don't know what you think might work best for you. I highly recommend the emulsion blender if you can get one. It really does take butter (or coconut oil) and what ever "cream" you use and whip it up almost like a latte. I LOVE the butter and want to try making ghee again (i burned the heck out of it last time!)

To me the cream cheese/parm/cheddar would be the hard part. Those seem to be staples in a LOT of my recipes.... so i will have to work on those!
Old 03-09-2013, 07:30 AM   #531
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasschus View Post
That's so great! I also have thyroid problems, insulin resistance, PCOS and borderline high blood pressure. Dr. Wanted to put me on 2 thyroid meds and metformin. The metformin gave me chest pains so I just stopped taking all medication and decided to do this with a lifestyle change.
Darn that PCOS! I gained 10 pounds a year from high school til my mid-20's thanks to it, and have been fighting ever since to get rid of it!

My doctor is actually very supportive of this diet to get me off metformin and lipitor. I think that is 1) because I'm a nurse and talked to her about the research I've done and 2) just because she's open-minded and cool.

Here's to conquering metabolic syndrome!
Old 03-09-2013, 07:31 AM   #532
Senior LCF Member

GOOD MORNING everyone!
CONGRATULTIONS on all the scale movement and other non scale related victories!

I hope everyone is having a great weekend! I have to work today because i was lazy yesterday and slacked...so I'm behind on course work. bleh...oh well, my fault! AND I have ONE week till i get my first paycheck in 7 months. HOLY COW you have NO idea how exciting that is (well i had been subbing here and there...but THAT is not a real paycheck! lol) I WILL be making a road trip to Charleston to WF and TJ!

I have a question....has anyone ever experienced really dry skin while doing this? I have noticed in the past week my face and feet (weird) have became ABNORMALLY dry...and I am a freak for skin care ( I AM NOT going to do that age gracefully crap...FIGHT all the way! ) not sure what is going on and if it is food related or not?
Old 03-09-2013, 07:32 AM   #533
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

Do you make your own ghee? or where do you find it? Am i just not "seeing" it at publix? Have I mentioned I CAN'T WAIT for WF???
Old 03-09-2013, 07:41 AM   #534
Senior LCF Member

If your store has an Indian food section, you can find ghee in a jar usually. It's easy enough to make, but I kind of feel like I'm wasting my butter.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:41 AM   #535
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
That's so great! I also have thyroid problems, insulin resistance, PCOS and borderline high blood pressure. Dr. Wanted to put me on 2 thyroid meds and metformin. The metformin gave me chest pains so I just stopped taking all medication and decided to do this with a lifestyle change. My doctor basically said it can't be done without the meds but I want to show it can! And your weight loss success gives me hope!

I was also always hungry on low fat, high carb. This? Hardly hungry at all. I don't even crave sweets. Now if the scale will give me a break and start heading down again,

Keep up the good work! Very happy to see you doing this without the meds and succeeding.
Cool, now we can do it together
Old 03-09-2013, 07:48 AM   #536
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I remember everytime I fly I retain water and my skin gets really dry that might be part of it. Don't beat yourself up, you did rather well given your circumstances! And you are home and ready to get right back on track!
As far as the dairy goes, decide what you can live without the most and start there if you don't want to go cold turkey all at once. And maybe for the coffee, start off w/ 1/2 hwc +1/2 coconut cream (milk) and slowly wean yourself? I don't know what you think might work best for you. I highly recommend the emulsion blender if you can get one. It really does take butter (or coconut oil) and what ever "cream" you use and whip it up almost like a latte. I LOVE the butter and want to try making ghee again (i burned the heck out of it last time!)

To me the cream cheese/parm/cheddar would be the hard part. Those seem to be staples in a LOT of my recipes.... so i will have to work on those!
ya i think the cheese will be the hardest to give up. I'm going to plan some meals and try to do this maybe this coming week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyP View Post
If your store has an Indian food section, you can find ghee in a jar usually. It's easy enough to make, but I kind of feel like I'm wasting my butter.
yep i can buy it
Old 03-09-2013, 08:07 AM   #537
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyP View Post
Darn that PCOS!

Here's to conquering metabolic syndrome!
I had never even heard of it before! But I got to actually see the cysts on an ultrasound. Was weird. Glad your doctor is so supportive. My dr told me I needed to go low carb but also pushed the meds. I'm sure it is useful to some people but they made me have bad chest pains. The the point where I was sent to a cardiologist. Not cool.

Quote:
GOOD MORNING everyone!
CONGRATULTIONS on all the scale movement and other non scale related victories!

I have a question....has anyone ever experienced really dry skin while doing this? I have noticed in the past week my face and feet (weird) have became ABNORMALLY dry...and I am a freak for skin care ( I AM NOT going to do that age gracefully crap...FIGHT all the way! ) not sure what is going on and if it is food related or not?
Happy weekend to you!!
Yes, in the past my skin would get dry sometimes but I use a little coconut oil every day on my face, arms, and neck. My skin is SO soft!! And blemishes are cleared up. Love it!

Quote:
Cool, now we can do it together
we got this!

Even thought the scale is not playing nicely, there is a noticeable difference in my belly. It's so much flatter. So I'm pretty darn happy.

Kelly
PS Just learned how to do multiple quotes. I feel like I'm part of the cool crowd now.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:13 AM   #538
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I had never even heard of it before! But I got to actually see the cysts on an ultrasound. Was weird. Glad your doctor is so supportive. My dr told me I needed to go low carb but also pushed the meds. I'm sure it is useful to some people but they made me have bad chest pains. The the point where I was sent to a cardiologist. Not cool.

Happy weekend to you!!
Yes, in the past my skin would get dry sometimes but I use a little coconut oil every day on my face, arms, and neck. My skin is SO soft!! And blemishes are cleared up. Love it!

we got this!

Even thought the scale is not playing nicely, there is a noticeable difference in my belly. It's so much flatter. So I'm pretty darn happy.

Kelly
PS Just learned how to do multiple quotes. I feel like I'm part of the cool crowd now.
I have been using co too, but just recently something weird is going on..... It is super duper good for damaged hair also!!

Did i miss something in a conversation about cysts on here? I hope ya'll are ok!!!
Old 03-09-2013, 08:16 AM   #539
Senior LCF Member

Metformin makes me nauseous, but I am still taking it because I am quite insulin resistant. I had gestational diabetes all three pregnancies, and I was on pretty high doses of insulin on the last one. I will be quite pleased if I can get off of it someday, but I'm not going to be surprised if it doesn't happen. At least I can stave off the damage that elevated blood glucose can cause later on in life, as long as I keep away from the carbs!
Old 03-09-2013, 08:40 AM   #540
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I have been using co too, but just recently something weird is going on..... It is super duper good for damaged hair also!!

Did i miss something in a conversation about cysts on here? I hope ya'll are ok!!!
The cysts are on our ovaries because of PCOS. It usually goes hand in hand with insulin resistance. They're not dangerous, from what I understand, but it's not a fun thing to have. I'm really hoping low carb will heal both the insulin resistance and PCOS at the same time.
Closed Thread