Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 09:16 AM   #481
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Weigh-in this morning ... 199.5 so a little bounce. Got my fingers crossed that I stay under 200 tomorrow
Yahooo

Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2013, 09:19 AM   #482
Major LCF Poster!

Grandpa(DH) came in and brought me a lindt chocolat bar. He is so sweet
4 squares has 15 carbs. I do not remeber the 85% being that high. Do you guys?
Old 03-08-2013, 09:28 AM   #483
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dasschus
Stats: 250/195/145
WOE: HFLC/nutritional ketosis
Start Date: February 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by dipasquale View Post

Dasschus - are you doing waist, hip, etc measurements as well?
Unfortunately I have not. But I can feel my pants fitting looser. Yay!

Kelly

Last edited by dasschus; 03-08-2013 at 09:37 AM..
Old 03-08-2013, 09:29 AM   #484
Major LCF Poster!

Nope thay raised them. I looked on my foor tracker and 4 squares used to have 8g of carbs. Now they raised it to 15g. Dang No more chocolate for me.
It taste awful sweet too. I ate 1 and was like dang 4 carbs for 1 squrae is bad.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:36 AM   #485
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dasschus
Stats: 250/195/145
WOE: HFLC/nutritional ketosis
Start Date: February 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
Nope thay raised them. I looked on my foor tracker and 4 squares used to have 8g of carbs. Now they raised it to 15g. Dang No more chocolate for me.
It taste awful sweet too. I ate 1 and was like dang 4 carbs for 1 squrae is bad.
This prompted me to go check mine. Mine shows 15g for 4 squares but 6g of fiber. So 9g of net carbs for 4 squares. I sometimes have 1 square. About 2g net carbs per square.

Kelly
Old 03-08-2013, 09:49 AM   #486
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
The 85% is kinda carby. Have you tried the 92%? I usually get that one if I get a Lindt bar
Old 03-08-2013, 09:51 AM   #487
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisamt View Post
So I went off the rails yesterday and had a minor cheat day. No regrets. I look at it as a minor blip in a lifelong journey. I'm just happy that one day off didn't lead me to spiral out of control as I've done in the past.

I weighed myself yesterday morning and today, and was surprised to see there was no change. I'm certain that I got knocked out of ketosis but thought it was interesting that I'm not seeing an immediate increase in water weight.

It may take a week or two to get back in ketosis, and I'm okay with that.
Yep, the best thing to do when you fall off is to pick yourself up not beat yourself up and let the slip become a huge freight train of derailment.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:51 AM   #488
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
The 85% is kinda carby. Have you tried the 92%? I usually get that one if I get a Lindt bar
I usually can find the 90% but I have never seen the 92%
Guess I will have to make a road trip to Trader Joes. Mayberry doesn't have much in the way of low carb choices
Old 03-08-2013, 09:52 AM   #489
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pibble mama
Stats: 289.6/283/175!!
WOE: NK newbie!
Start Date: January 2013
Quote:
Mine has that too. I got a Lindt 90% the other night at actually like it BETTER! To me it is smoother and not as bitter...more mellow if that makes sense! And no where near as many carbs....if i were more motivated i would go get it out of the fridge! lol I will say USED TO/BEFORE NK that sucker wouldn' have made it through the night...bless it's lil heart! HAHA! It has been in there for two days and only 2 squares missing. THAT is improvement! I love me some dark chocolate
Old 03-08-2013, 09:58 AM   #490
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I usually can find the 90% but I have never seen the 92%
Guess I will have to make a road trip to Trader Joes. Mayberry doesn't have much in the way of low carb choices
Oops. 90% is right

I haven't had one in the house in a while. Too afraid I'll be unable to resist the temptation to eat too much of it.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:59 AM   #491
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasschus View Post
Unfortunately I have not. But I can feel my pants fitting looser. Yay!

Kelly
Yay is right!!!
Old 03-08-2013, 10:06 AM   #492
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Oops. 90% is right

I haven't had one in the house in a while. Too afraid I'll be unable to resist the temptation to eat too much of it.
I know, me too I quit buying them. DH got me 2 for valentines day and he brought me one today. I guess it is better if I don't some cause I wanna eat them too much. hehe.
I like to eat a square with CO on top
Old 03-08-2013, 10:10 AM   #493
Blabbermouth!!!

A CO topper sounds awesome
Old 03-08-2013, 10:52 AM   #494
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dipasquale
Stats: 137 / 132 / 125
WOE: High Fat Low Carb Ketogenic
Start Date: February 11, 2013
Hmmm, I'll have to try the 90% chocolate. I find the 85% pretty unpalatable so never considered trying the 90%. I have mixed the 85 with cream cheese and butter in the past to make a fudge, and that goes down pretty easy ;-) Maybe I will like it ever more with the 90%.

My big splurge this past week has been whipped cream. I never even used to like it. But I found that I can eat a BIG bowl of whipped heavy cream (about 2 cups) and stay in ketosis, and I've been doing so every night for the last week. This wouldn't be a problem if it was homemade with 'good' hwc. My grocery store carries whipped heavy cream, so I've been getting a can of that every 4 days or so. There's about a 1g of sugar for every 2T, and I'm eating 16 servings, so....

dasschus - That's great! I'm wondering if the scale isn't always the best measure of progress on this diet?

Lisa - Can I ask what the cheat was? I want to live vicariously through you :-)

I tried kelp noodles today in my chicken broth. It was.... interesting. They are crunchy, which I found surprising since they just look like rice noodles. They are basically flavorless, but were kind of fun to eat so I'll probably try them again. I find the texture more pleasant then the shirataki noodles. I'll eat the shirataki ones, but am not a fan of the texture.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:19 PM   #495
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lisamt
Stats: 200/187/130
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: December 2012
Quote:
Hmmm, I'll have to try the 90% chocolate. I find the 85% pretty unpalatable so never considered trying the 90%. I have mixed the 85 with cream cheese and butter in the past to make a fudge, and that goes down pretty easy ;-) Maybe I will like it ever more with the 90%.

My big splurge this past week has been whipped cream. I never even used to like it. But I found that I can eat a BIG bowl of whipped heavy cream (about 2 cups) and stay in ketosis, and I've been doing so every night for the last week. This wouldn't be a problem if it was homemade with 'good' hwc. My grocery store carries whipped heavy cream, so I've been getting a can of that every 4 days or so. There's about a 1g of sugar for every 2T, and I'm eating 16 servings, so....

dasschus - That's great! I'm wondering if the scale isn't always the best measure of progress on this diet?

Lisa - Can I ask what the cheat was? I want to live vicariously through you :-)

I tried kelp noodles today in my chicken broth. It was.... interesting. They are crunchy, which I found surprising since they just look like rice noodles. They are basically flavorless, but were kind of fun to eat so I'll probably try them again. I find the texture more pleasant then the shirataki noodles. I'll eat the shirataki ones, but am not a fan of the texture.
haha, my cheat day included a bagel with cream cheese, a doughnut, and a burger with the bun. By the end of the day I'd eaten 160 carbs and 1700 calories.

After I ate the bagel, I had to deal with a couple hours of my brain yelling Wheee, Let's Eat All The Things Now!. Drinking a lot of water helped, and is probably why I woke up this morning feeling okay.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:24 PM   #496
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisamt View Post
haha, my cheat day included a bagel with cream cheese, a doughnut, and a burger with the bun. By the end of the day I'd eaten 160 carbs and 1700 calories.

After I ate the bagel, I had to deal with a couple hours of my brain yelling Wheee, Let's Eat All The Things Now!. Drinking a lot of water helped, and is probably why I woke up this morning feeling okay.
If you have been strict LC/NK for the last several weeks then it will probably only take 3 to 5 days to readapt.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:27 PM   #497
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Hmmm, I'll have to try the 90% chocolate. I find the 85% pretty unpalatable so never considered trying the 90%.
The first time I tried the 85% bar I couldn't believe I'd ever get used to it. These days I far prefer the 90% bar. It is an acquired taste for sure.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:30 PM   #498
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Myles
Quote:
Originally Posted by pibble mama View Post
Myles there are a few things you can replace w/ coconut milk. If you get a full on fat coconut milk, there is a recipe for making homemade sour cream. I haven't tried it yet, but it seems really easy (you will need a lil bit of plain yogurt to get it "started" and a heating pad, and patience. but it seems easy! I want to try it as soon as I am out of my sour cream). I can live with out HWC (now, don't get me wrong....i LOVE the stuff) I make a homemade creamer that I use, and if you take butter and "cook" the milk parts off you get ghee (i haven't learned the trick to this yet...you can also buy it!). Now, cheese, that is another issue. I've cut way back, but haven't learned how to eliminate it yet. I do know MOST dairy that I have found has carageenen in it and the body reacts to it like MSG (bleh icky stuff!).

I was up a pound today! But i've figured out the numbing pain that had been coming on was my sciatic nerve!! Makes sleep hard! I'm gonna go back to full on NK eating today. Yesterdays cals were nearly 2200 and protein was about 1/2 of what I should be getting normally. I kept the fat at about 90% so I'm gonna try to back down a lil bit to get the protein back up...though, gotta say, I could EASILY live on that FF if i had 2,000 cals to go on!

Darin I hope you slept well last night and feel better!
Cool stuff with coconut milk and ghee, and I hear you on the cheese. That's my fav food. Good luck getting the protein and Cals in check Theresa!
Old 03-08-2013, 01:34 PM   #499
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Try to change only one thing at a time Myles. If you nuke dairy don't make other changes that might make it hard to tell what exactly worked. Changes need to be sequential in other words.

Did you get a chance to listen to that podcast and get any of the supplements she talked about?
Wait do you mean don't eliminate all dairy at once? Like eliminate sour cream one week then cheese another ?

I fell asleep listening to it the other night but I'm in the airport lounge listening now
Old 03-08-2013, 01:42 PM   #500
Senior LCF Member

I like to sautee bacon then remove it and chop it roughly then sautee some cabbage and onion in the fat and re add the bacon mmm

For breakfast today I had hotel scrambled eggs and sausage and a protein shake. Then lunch was fajitas at Montana's with no tortillas (chicken, steak, peppers, onions, cheddar, sour cream, guacamole, salsa) and now I'm in the airport lounge and there is nothing I can eat here. It's all Chips, crackers, booze, humus, tortillas etc. not even any cheese :/ I may see if I can go buy dinner somewhere since I'm here for a few hours. I think there is an a&w maybe
Old 03-08-2013, 01:47 PM   #501
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goolash View Post
Wait do you mean don't eliminate all dairy at once? Like eliminate sour cream one week then cheese another ?

I fell asleep listening to it the other night but I'm in the airport lounge listening now
No. I mean if your tweak is to eliminate dairy then don't tweak protein or calories or something else at the same time. Like, don't eliminate dairy and X and X at the same time.

But you can eliminate other stuff sequentially. Like dairy this week, then dairy and mayo next week, then dairy and mayo and tuna the next week.

That way it will be easier to see if a tweak causes a particular result. Like a happy dance when you rid the earth of mayo, for example.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:16 PM   #502
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
No. I mean if your tweak is to eliminate dairy then don't tweak protein or calories or something else at the same time. Like, don't eliminate dairy and X and X at the same time.

But you can eliminate other stuff sequentially. Like dairy this week, then dairy and mayo next week, then dairy and mayo and tuna the next week.

That way it will be easier to see if a tweak causes a particular result. Like a happy dance when you rid the earth of mayo, for example.
Gotcha. How's your back? Mine is still stiff but seemingly getting better
Old 03-08-2013, 02:20 PM   #503
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Gotcha. How's your back? Mine is still stiff but seemingly getting better
Almost gone it feels like. Are you taking any Rx or OTC stuff?
Old 03-08-2013, 02:22 PM   #504
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Not anymore. First 3 days I was on some OTC muscle relaxers but off them now
Old 03-08-2013, 02:39 PM   #505
Senior LCF Member

Hey! I have these 5htp pills. I didn't know they were good for carb cravings.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:41 PM   #506
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
The first time I tried the 85% bar I couldn't believe I'd ever get used to it. These days I far prefer the 90% bar. It is an acquired taste for sure.
LOL I have no problem keep the little kids out of my chocolate. If they say they want some I just give them a taste. They never ask for it again. If they see me eating it they just make a face now.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:42 PM   #507
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Quote:
LOL I have no problem keep the little kids out of my chocolate. If they say they want some I just give them a taste. They never ask for it again. If they see me eating it they just make a face now.
Lol Cheryl !
Old 03-08-2013, 03:19 PM   #508
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
Start Date: March 20, 2012
Hi all, still catching up on the posts. Has been a good week so far, no urge to eat off plan. Still no dairy, fruits, or nuts. Has been pretty easy. School has been going well too, thank god! I'm not weighing but all my clothes are REALLY lose and I have no bloat, so thats good.

Congrats on all the losses!

Today:

Breakfast (7 am): 2 crab cakes (with almond flour as the binder), steamed broccoli with ghee, sweet potato chips baked with coconut oil and rosemary (only 5 or so)
Lunch (1 pm): 4 crab cakes
Dinner: (6 pm): avocado and sun dried tomato stuffed burger

My stomach was fine this morning after breakfast, but something about those crabcakes at lunch made my stomach hurt SO BAD.. think it was the almond flour..

Have a good weekend!
Old 03-08-2013, 03:36 PM   #509
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
Start Date: March 20, 2012
Quote:
We can add sneezing to the list of 'what causes acute intense pain'.
Red, I had all those symptoms before, but turns out it was just double lung pneumonia. Doesn't sound like you have that. Hope you feel better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz1959 View Post
Hi all. Big thanks to Reddarin and the others who posted the meat of the A&S!
I had beed listening to interviews with Phinney and finally ordered the book because there just wasn't enough detail on protein & calorie recommendations, etc. I also ordered a meter and strips. The strips came yesterday, the meter today... and the book won't get here until the 16th! sigh.
Anyway, I just tested and my ketones are 3.6! Yay! Now I won't need to test for a week.
Based on the info you all posted, I had already dialed my protein back somewhat. I just read the post about increasing salt yesterday. I look forward to getting the book as I am sure I have only scratched the surface of what has been posted. I wish I could find the first thread I was reading where you posted quite a bit of info from the book.
Thanks again.
Holy cow your ketones are high! How long have you been in NK? What time of day did you test?

Salt is good, eat more salt.

Quote:
god i cant wait to get home tonight and start trying my experiments. I think the first one i'll try is no cheese, but still use butter, HWC and sour cream, then if that doesnt work maybe try no dairy at all except butter... hurray experiments

...or maybe ill go the other way and just cut all dairy at first ( except butter) and then add it back in slowly depending on if it works

I remember back when i did this successfully a million years ago i didnt have any dairy and cheese because i couldnt afford it.. i think i just ate a lot of discount bacon and pork chops
Myles, I cut out dairy last week and feel amazing without it! Don't have that "heavy" feeling I usually had after eating many dairy-centric dishes. The only thing I miss is heavy cream in my coffee-- coconut milk doesn't cut it in that arena.

Quote:
Hi! I've mostly been lurking, but love reading what everyone has been making. I'll have to try the fat fast hot chocolate tonight - it sounds delicious!

I made a crab dish 2 nights ago, and had the leftovers for lunch yesterday. I beat together 8T of cream cheese and 3 eggs, then blended in a 8oz container of wild caught crab meat. Salt and pepper to taste. I baked it for about 20 minutes at 425 (until it set) and served with asparagus and olive oil. I just got married 6 weeks ago and realized while I was making it that I've never seen DH eat crab. Turns out he's not such a fan. He was pretty 'meh' about the dish, but I loved it.

My new ketone sticks came in on Wednesday. My Weds. afternoon reading was 2.6 and this morning was 1.8. I'm 'in the zone' but my weight is holding steady between 132 - 133. I'm going to do my measurements again tomorrow, so maybe I'll see some movement there.

I just bought Dana Carpender's 500 Paleo recipes last night to get ideas for more dishes. Does anyone else have this? I know the book isn't necessarily high-fat / low-carb recipes, but knowing Dana's work I'm sure they can be modified pretty easily to fit this diet.
I have the 500 Paleo Recipes book.. its awesome.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:30 PM   #510
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dipasquale
Stats: 137 / 132 / 125
WOE: High Fat Low Carb Ketogenic
Start Date: February 11, 2013
Quote:
LOL!

Lisa - 160g isn't too terrible! I hear you about the carb craving trigger! I've been eating the kids' Omega-3 gummy worms because they are coated in sugar, but its so hard to stop at one! I agree, it shouldn't take a full 2 weeks to get back into the swing of things. Hey, as long as you enjoyed it! The worst is when you go off-plan for something that ends up not being that good anyway.

My foot keeps cramping up tonight! So weird - I've been drinking lots of water, took my magnesium and had 1.5 servings of chicken broth today. I actually used to get them quite a bit on a 'normal' diet, so it might not have anything to do with the changes.
Closed Thread