Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2013, 06:11 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dipasquale
Stats: 137 / 132 / 125
WOE: High Fat Low Carb Ketogenic
Start Date: February 11, 2013
Greek Yogurt on NK?

Hi! I'm guessing most people here have read 'The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate performance'. One of the staple foods listed is Greek Yogurt (whole milk, plain).

My backstory - I love greek yogurt. I used to eat it everyday for lunch with peanut butter mixed in UNTIL I read in 'The Paleo Answer' that milk causes an insulin response on par with white bread.

I was surprised to see it on the food list for this diet and wouldn't mind adding it back in even just a few times a week for variety.

I'm getting good results and feel great on this plan and don't want to mess with that. Has anyone experimented with whole greek yogurt in their diet and seen a difference with and without?
dipasquale is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2013, 07:57 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Myles
i was going to get some once but even the full fat oikos had a lot of carbs in a serving, so i didnt want to try it
Myles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:43 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

I did eat a 1/2 cup of yogurt for breakfast with 1 tbsp of peanut butter and 1 tbsp of coconut oil. I got hungry about 2 hours later (which never happens on this plan) and have had carb cravings all day. It really threw me off for the day. My total carb count for the day ended up at 38g which is the highest I've been since I started. Soooo.... no more greek yogurt for me!
Old 02-28-2013, 10:23 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
I had the same response this morning, which was unusual, and I suspect it's because I had 0% yogurt and added some hwc. When I have the full-fat variety (Greek Gods being my favorite) I don't get blood sugar swings.

On Dr. Eenfeldt's blog (which is all about LCHF eating), he recommends a breakfast made of full-fat yogurt with hwc, plus a "muesli" made of coconut flakes, walnuts, hazelnuts, almonds, flaxseed, sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds, and then he tops it all with unsweetened blueberries. I abstain from the blueberries, but I've found adding the nuts to the yogurt makes for a very satisfying breakfast. It comes out to about 6 net carbs - not bad for a meal.
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:24 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: unna
Stats: 230/155-160/tone
WOE: Primal LCHF
Start Date: January 2012
I do eat some greek yogurt most days - but only as a small treat after dinner.

Unfortunately, I do notice an insulin response if I eat it during the day. This is the same with marscapone and heavy cream in general. If I eat it before I go to bed, of course I don't "get hungry" later and eat. Again, I don't eat a lot of it.
unna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:21 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pibble mama
Stats: 289.6/283/175!!
WOE: NK newbie!
Start Date: January 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolash View Post
i was going to get some once but even the full fat oikos had a lot of carbs in a serving, so i didnt want to try it
Hey there Myles! I was going to suggest this maybe in the other thread, but since everyone here is talking about insulin spikes w/ dairy and gy....maybe ease off some of the dairy (replace those fat cals w/ butter and co) I know some ppl have stalls etc with dairy and cream cheese. I try to limit then and need to even get myself off the hwc some.

I LOVE cabot full milk fat GY but noticed the one day I had a cup w/ a few blueberries tossed in i had way crossed my carb count for the day. Even with full fat it just has more carbs than i think i want to deal with during losing. I will miss it...but maybe i can replace that with some yummy coconut concoction!
pibble mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:57 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pibble mama View Post
Hey there Myles! I was going to suggest this maybe in the other thread, but since everyone here is talking about insulin spikes w/ dairy and gy....maybe ease off some of the dairy (replace those fat cals w/ butter and co) I know some ppl have stalls etc with dairy and cream cheese. I try to limit then and need to even get myself off the hwc some.

I LOVE cabot full milk fat GY but noticed the one day I had a cup w/ a few blueberries tossed in i had way crossed my carb count for the day. Even with full fat it just has more carbs than i think i want to deal with during losing. I will miss it...but maybe i can replace that with some yummy coconut concoction!
Dang that would be hard, most of my fat cals come from sour cream, HWC, cheese, cream cheese...besides CO / Butter - what would i eat! LOL
Old 03-01-2013, 08:16 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Dang that would be hard, most of my fat cals come from sour cream, HWC, cheese, cream cheese...besides CO / Butter - what would i eat! LOL
I hear ya! I really do like co and the solid coconut cream in my coffee. it took a bit to get used to, but i love it! Bacon grease! I put that in EVERYTHING! I don't know about the cream cheese....i hear it stalls ppl....but it is such a staple in lc! Now, I have done a LOT of reading and the stabilizers they add such as carageenan can react much the same way as msg. Which causes me to blow up like a puffer fish! I use it, I just don't use a lot of it.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:35 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Yvonnem2000
Stats: 148.6/151/135
WOE: Atkins Induction + veggies
Start Date: April 2012
Quote:
I'm trying to figure this out, too. I've decreased my cream/sour cream (not eliminated) but I find it hard to get enough fat. I guess I should order some coconut cream.
Yvonnem2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:37 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

As far as yogurt, every time I've tried to add it, it has become a trigger food for me. Instead, I'll add syrups to sour cream and eat it as yogurt, and that is ok.

But for now I've eliminated sweeteners and cut back on cream to see if they were stalling me. I miss them but feel better.

For that matter, just about everything I've added other than extra veg or 1/4 cup berries has been a trigger for me!

Last edited by Yvonnem2000; 03-01-2013 at 01:39 PM..
Old 03-01-2013, 01:38 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pibble mama View Post
I hear ya! I really do like co and the solid coconut cream in my coffee. it took a bit to get used to, but i love it! Bacon grease! I put that in EVERYTHING! I don't know about the cream cheese....i hear it stalls ppl....but it is such a staple in lc! Now, I have done a LOT of reading and the stabilizers they add such as carageenan can react much the same way as msg. Which causes me to blow up like a puffer fish! I use it, I just don't use a lot of it.
Is there a coconut cream you recommend? How else do you use it besides coffee?
Old 03-01-2013, 02:31 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonnem2000 View Post
the kind i like is something orchid? I just sent the label with a friend to buy it at the commissary here for me...it's the only place I have found it around here. It has a green label and is usually with the oriental foods. It has nothing else in it but coconut cream. No sugars or anything. I use it in anything I would put hwc in. If I am making coffee creamer i put vanilla and stevia in it. If you want to use it for different stuff, just don't put the vanilla/sweetener in it.

I have been using a lot of CO and butter, bacon grease, an avocado a day (but that will up your carbs so i have to watch it on those figures) I try to stay clear of a lot of cheese and only use it when it is imperative to a dish. I by no means an expert...but i'm trying real hard at this!
Old 03-01-2013, 02:33 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Yvonne - that's a good idea about adding syrup to sour cream. Sounds like a nice treat. It's interesting to hear people's experience in general with dairy. I may experiment with replacing cream cheese with avocado and see if that makes a difference on the scale. The yogurt ended up being a big trigger, I'm still feeling it today. I had never heard of coconut cream - I'm going to check that out.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:21 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I'm trying to figure this out, too. I've decreased my cream/sour cream (not eliminated) but I find it hard to get enough fat. I guess I should order some coconut cream.
I havent found coconut cream here, just coconut milk
Old 03-01-2013, 04:36 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Quote:
I havent found coconut cream here, just coconut milk
it is VERY hard to find. you can also use coconut milk, just watch the ingredients and make sure there is no sugar, etc. Put it in the fridge for a day or so, let it solidify. Take the solid parts and use that for the cream. I really think that the "coconut cream" i get here is just a higher concentration of cream less coconut "milk" It still works and is delicious! keep looking when you do go though and you might be able to find it online too...not sure where! If i run across it i will let you know!
Old 03-02-2013, 09:03 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
If there's an asian grocery store around there, they usually have several varieties available. There are a few recipes floating around lowcarbfriends for coconut cream pudding, pie, etc. I've found it makes a great fat bomb, mixed with shredded coconut and chocolate and then stuck in the freezer. Mmmmm..
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote