Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2013, 03:19 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
What is NK for?

I am just curious what everyone is using NK for? Is it to lose weight? Or do you have other reasons. If so please explain what you are using it for. I am just confused about it because I probably don't have much more to lose (maybe 5lbs) and I am not sure what to do after I get down to that weight.

Thanks
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2013, 01:16 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: unna
Stats: 230/155-160/tone
WOE: Primal LCHF
Start Date: January 2012
Interesting post. I found it as a way to:

1.have optimal energy

2.have manageable cravings (I don't think about food all the time/ and I don't seem to have the problem of overeating)

3.decrease body fat in general (I'm trying to gain muscle - so weight loss isn't my goal)

4.it seems to improve my mood/outlook on life -- I'm assuming this is hormonal in some way. Perhaps, from an evolutionary perspective, having enough fat to eat increased survival and reproductive success - so we are wired to still enjoy it.
unna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:27 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jillybean720
Stats: 324/193/150
WOE: LC/HF
I do LCHF mostly for weight loss, but I don't plan to just stop if/when I reach my goal weight. I've done a lot of reading on the health benefits of LCHF independent of weight. Having had type 2 diabetes myself, eating this way controls that, not to mention keeps my cholesterol ratios fabulous, and reduces inflammation in the body. Ketogenic diets have been used as a treatment (or part of a treatment regimen) for epilepsy, cancer, Alzheimer's, schizophrenia...I can't help but wonder if it is so helpful for such an array of conditions because this is how we SHOULD have been eating all along.
Weight goals currently on hold due to pregnancy...baby #2 coming late October/early November 2013!

Pre-pregnancy #2 weight: 193 (the day I found out I was pregnant)
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:54 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Spei
I started about two months ago for the weight loss. I've lost 11 pounds since I started, but I've changed my thinking on the reason why I'm doing NK. I feel so good when I'm in NK. I don't have any down periods in the afternoon. I don't have any sugar ups and downs during the day. I seem to have a steady flow of energy. Also, my thinking is so clear. I help my daughter with her math and I'm noticing that I can do large math calculations in my head when I'm in NK. I couldn't do this before. Also, my on the job thinking seems to be clearer too.

I agree with JellyBean concerning the health benefits. Given all the plusses, I'm hoping to stay in NK, or at least eat low carb, the rest of my life.
Spei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:33 PM   #5
Rod
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rod
Stats: 5'10" 48yo 190/165/155
WOE: LCHF/IF
Start Date: February 2013
For me NK is about taking control of my health. Like Punkin I have a little more weight to lose (~10 lbs), but I'm already seeing improvements in my anxiety and attention. My partner says she's already seen improvements in my mood and reactions. And as an amateur athlete, all evidence shows NK improves performance and recovery (see Volek and Phinney's The Art and Science of Low Carb PerformanceThe Art and Science of Low Carb Performance ).

NK may not be everyone but it's working for me. I just need to stay recipe creative.
Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:58 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dasschus
Stats: 250/195/145
WOE: HFLC/nutritional ketosis
Start Date: February 2013
I'm doing it to lose weight and cure my insulin resistance and PCOS and to be healthy.
I'm also doing it to manage my carb cravings because I've realized that I'm weak when it comes to carbs. If this gets rid of cravings then I can stick to it long term.

Kelly
dasschus is offline   Reply With Quote