Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2013, 05:01 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MisterChew
160+ LB To Lose But Stalling...

Hello everyone

I am new to this board, but am not new to the Ketogenic diet. I came across this forum when I was on a search for new recipes a few weeks ago. I used to frequent a very popular bodybuilding forum, though the community was very knowledgeable, I found that many were too pro-exercise and arrogant, so hopefully I've found a place that I can call home here.

In 2010, I lost about 50lb with Keto, in what made my weight loss successful, I left that behind. I have since regained all of the weight back and more.

I am 28, currently standing at 340lb, 5'11", 8" wrist (large frame). I have gone back on Keto since January 7. This time around, I will make it stick for the rest of my life.

My macros are around 70/24/6. I eat about 2000 cal per day (sometimes as high as 2400 cal), less than 30g of net carb/day. My activity level is sedentary because of my desk job. I drink 2-3 cups of coffee per day and I do use Whipping Cream (I am from Canada, so the Heavy Cream only go as high as 33%.) in my coffee. I don't use Splenda in my coffee, but I do use it in my cooking (granular Splenda). I eat almonds occasionally, but not on a daily basis. I use plenty of Cheddar Cheese in my cooking, and I do eat cheeses like Camembert and Brie occasionally.

After I lost my water weight, I have been stalling for the last few weeks. I can't seem to pinpoint where the problem is. I came across an article on here indicating that Dairy and Nuts may induce an insulin response in the blood stream, so I am considering if that may be the cause. Does anyone else here have similar experiences? Shall I increase my activity level?

Now incase you were wondering why I don't just fall back on my successful formula that I did a few years ago, that's because I was eating 1600-1800 cal per day while doing strength training 5 days per week at 308lb. I feel that I was burning mostly my LBM, and not fat, that resulted in my weight loss, so I don't want to resort back to that.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you!
MisterChew is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2013, 08:17 PM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Due to my frustration, I went out and bought some ketostix earlier to test my level of Ketones and it registered 15mg (light purple).

Now I am sure that I am in Ketosis, just unsure of why I am not dropping the weight.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:13 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: unna
Stats: 230/155-160/tone
WOE: Primal LCHF
Start Date: January 2012
I agree that you shouldn't go too low with the calories again. However, I do think moderate weight lifting (maybe 2-3 times a week) is excellent to maintain muscle while losing.

I would look into the following if I were you:

1. Are you getting good sleep?
2. Despite your sedentary job, can you still manage an hour or so walking per day, maybe on your lunch break?
3. How are your gut bacteria? Are you eating fermented foods everyday? Are you taking a probiotic?
4. How are your omega ratios? Are you taking a high quality fish oil?

Coffee and cream is a problem for me - although I love the stuff. It seems to cause a blood sugar crash, which leads to instant "hot" hunger .... that can easily lead to overeating, even though I'm not hungry.

Another problem for me is foods that taste too good. Unfortunately, I can't have mascapone, nuts, nut butter, or chocolate if I want to lose weight. They are simply too good... which easily leads to overeating. Are there any foods in your house that tend to lead to overeating?

I think a huge part of this whole process, esp. for those of us who are metabolically broken, is stopping right when we feel the first sign of fullness - which we've often spent a lifetime neglecting.

Another problem, especially with a sedentary job, is boredom. Even if we aren't "manifestly" bored, we can still be somewhat "unconsciously" bored, which, again, leads to eating when our body doesn't need food.

If I were you, I would address possible nutritional deficiencies, including salt, then I would just sit back and enjoy the process... find an activity that I loved.... and let the weight come off. Sometimes when we watch our weight loss too closely on this diet, it leaves us stressed and defeated. Loosen the reigns.

Good luck!
unna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:09 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Myles
Welcome bro, im also from Canada and close to the same size as you in height/weight/wrist. I buy the Lactantia heavy whipping cream and its actually 35% - although i have seen the 33% one at safeway, and it has more carbs. You can buy the 35% at superstore and their other brand names - which province are you in?

I had recently restarted this as well and was eating around the same macros and calories and it was recommended to me that i up my calories closer to 3000. I'm currently trying that and will let you know how it goes.

How many GRAMS of protein are you eating? I was recommended to eat around 150ish, under 20-25 grams of carbs and supplement the rest with fat. I've also learned that it's important to spread calories out throughout the day and try to have each meal be around the macros you want. So for example eating smaller breakfast/lunch then getting most calories and protein from dinner are not good. It needs to be somewhat more even.

I'm not expert and currently trying to figure out what works for me as well, but i will tell you the biggest thing i've learned is that we're all different, so it will take some playing around to figure out what works for you, and what works for me. Stay positive and don't get frustrated is the biggest lesson i've learned so far.

One more thing i recently read is that even tho the scale may not appear to budge, we may be hanging on to water while we lose fat as the bodies way of keeping us hydrated, so sometimes upping the water and upping the sale is said to help.

I wish there was a set formula to follow that would just work. Us all being different sometimes p1sses me off lol!

Last edited by Myles; 02-27-2013 at 04:14 AM..
Myles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:46 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
You are not eating enough. Eat more fat. Bump your calories up to about 3000. Count total carbs (not net) and keep them well under 50g a day. Exercise is great for health but it can be a real roadblock for weight loss. If you aren't doing it now I'd wait till you have your woe working before starting. If you are doing it now I'd cut way back till you have your woe working.

With your current weight I'd probably try to eat about 200g of protein a day. You'll have to reduce that as you lose weight. I wouldn't eat less than 150g until you are very close to reference weight. An odd day every now and then won't matter.
reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:59 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Any health issues or Rx meds?
Old 02-27-2013, 07:26 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Just found out pork rinds are a great snack and they have a lot of protein and fat :> :>
Old 02-27-2013, 05:53 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Thanks you everyone for replying. Much appreciate the help. Here is a little update, I managed to lose 3lb so far this week. I believe the biggest changes I've made thus far is eliminating diet soda. I will take that out of my diet for a few more weeks and see how that goes. I think Aspartame may be hindering my weight loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unna View Post
I agree that you shouldn't go too low with the calories again. However, I do think moderate weight lifting (maybe 2-3 times a week) is excellent to maintain muscle while losing.

I would look into the following if I were you:

1. Are you getting good sleep?
2. Despite your sedentary job, can you still manage an hour or so walking per day, maybe on your lunch break?
3. How are your gut bacteria? Are you eating fermented foods everyday? Are you taking a probiotic?
4. How are your omega ratios? Are you taking a high quality fish oil?

Coffee and cream is a problem for me - although I love the stuff. It seems to cause a blood sugar crash, which leads to instant "hot" hunger .... that can easily lead to overeating, even though I'm not hungry.

Another problem for me is foods that taste too good. Unfortunately, I can't have mascapone, nuts, nut butter, or chocolate if I want to lose weight. They are simply too good... which easily leads to overeating. Are there any foods in your house that tend to lead to overeating?

I think a huge part of this whole process, esp. for those of us who are metabolically broken, is stopping right when we feel the first sign of fullness - which we've often spent a lifetime neglecting.

Another problem, especially with a sedentary job, is boredom. Even if we aren't "manifestly" bored, we can still be somewhat "unconsciously" bored, which, again, leads to eating when our body doesn't need food.

If I were you, I would address possible nutritional deficiencies, including salt, then I would just sit back and enjoy the process... find an activity that I loved.... and let the weight come off. Sometimes when we watch our weight loss too closely on this diet, it leaves us stressed and defeated. Loosen the reigns.

Good luck!
Hello,

I am not sure how exercise will help at this point if I can't lose weight solely on my nutrition. However, your suggestion will be considered.

1. Yes I am getting 8-9 hours of rest per day.

2. Certainly, I am planning to walk a hour per day.

3. I am not sure what my gut bacteria is like. I eat fermented food once in a blue moon, however, I do eat pickled food occasionally. I am not taking any probiotics.

4. I am not taking any omega 3's at the moment or multi-vitamin's at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goolash View Post
Welcome bro, im also from Canada and close to the same size as you in height/weight/wrist. I buy the Lactantia heavy whipping cream and its actually 35% - although i have seen the 33% one at safeway, and it has more carbs. You can buy the 35% at superstore and their other brand names - which province are you in?

I had recently restarted this as well and was eating around the same macros and calories and it was recommended to me that i up my calories closer to 3000. I'm currently trying that and will let you know how it goes.

How many GRAMS of protein are you eating? I was recommended to eat around 150ish, under 20-25 grams of carbs and supplement the rest with fat. I've also learned that it's important to spread calories out throughout the day and try to have each meal be around the macros you want. So for example eating smaller breakfast/lunch then getting most calories and protein from dinner are not good. It needs to be somewhat more even.

I'm not expert and currently trying to figure out what works for me as well, but i will tell you the biggest thing i've learned is that we're all different, so it will take some playing around to figure out what works for you, and what works for me. Stay positive and don't get frustrated is the biggest lesson i've learned so far.

One more thing i recently read is that even tho the scale may not appear to budge, we may be hanging on to water while we lose fat as the bodies way of keeping us hydrated, so sometimes upping the water and upping the sale is said to help.

I wish there was a set formula to follow that would just work. Us all being different sometimes p1sses me off lol!
Hey there, it's good to see a fellow Canadian hanging around this board. Please do share your experience about the 3000 caloric intake level. I'm eating at around 2000-2200 at the moment, and I find that it's fine for me. I eat about 130-150g of protein per day, might need to bump that up as others have suggested.

I live in Vancouver BC, and i've never heard of that brand of dairy before. It may only be supplied locally over in ON. Since I live so close to the Washington State border. I occasionally head down to the states and stock up on cheese, eggs, and dairy. It's far cheaper there, considering we eat fat like how others would eat sliced bread. It's worth the drive for me.

Thanks again for all your help. Please keep me in the loop about your progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
You are not eating enough. Eat more fat. Bump your calories up to about 3000. Count total carbs (not net) and keep them well under 50g a day. Exercise is great for health but it can be a real roadblock for weight loss. If you aren't doing it now I'd wait till you have your woe working before starting. If you are doing it now I'd cut way back till you have your woe working.

With your current weight I'd probably try to eat about 200g of protein a day. You'll have to reduce that as you lose weight. I wouldn't eat less than 150g until you are very close to reference weight. An odd day every now and then won't matter.
I am not exercising at the moment. I figured that I would start on some light exercise once I get my diet in place. Thanks for responding.

Quote:
Any health issues or Rx meds?
Not on any Rx meds, and no health issues that I am aware of.

Quote:
Just found out pork rinds are a great snack and they have a lot of protein and fat :> :>
Yeah I love pork rinds too. They go great as a nacho or as a coating with Parmesan cheese. Unfortunately, it's difficult to find Pork rinds here in Vancouver, so I usually pick them up in the States when I go.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:37 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
Quote:
Count total carbs (not net) and keep them well under 50g a day. .
Wait a minute, why count total carbs? I thought we were only supposed to count net, since fiber isn't digestible, you subtract it. Why are you saying to count fiber and include it in your carb count. Please explain this.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:08 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterChew View Post
I live in Vancouver BC, and i've never heard of that brand of dairy before.
Check real canadian superstore - thats where i buy my 35% HWC
Old 02-28-2013, 12:16 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
That's where I buy my Whipping Cream. They don't have that brand there.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:30 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Hey everyone, thought I'd bump this thread up as I am stalling again. I've made a couple of changes since my last post.

1. I've added Multi and Omega-3 to my daily supplement
2. I've added 30-45min daily exercise
3. Calorie count is still about 2000-2200 per day (BMR is 2800). Macro remains unchanged at around 70-75%, 25-30%, 5% carb

I guess in the last 4 weeks, I've only lost 5lb (none in the last 2 weeks), and I am not sure what else I can do, besides cutting calories.

Shall I further cut my calories down to 1600cal? That seems to be the sweet spot for me last time I was at this weight a few years ago when I was on this diet. Is it healthy for me long-term? I'm not so sure.

One thing is for certain though, Ketosis without exercise for me does not work (even at my weight). I guess I'm so sedetary that I must include some form of exercise to my daily regime. In terms of caloric intake, I'm still trying to figure that out.

Thanks! Any comments will be appreciated.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:35 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles View Post
Btw, thanks for your suggestion. I did find the cream that you were referring to at Superstore. They do carry it, however it's not a very good deal.

It's $3.99 here for 500ml of Lactantia Whipping Cream, when it costs me the same price for a 1L for a local brand of Whipping Cream.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:48 PM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Try tweaking protein grams down to 100-110. Keep calories the same by bumping fat up to make up for the protein calories.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:40 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 224/186/???
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: November 2012
With luck, Trillex will show up to post - she knows a ton about bodybuilding science, with none of the cantankerous attitude that infects too many bodybuilding boards.
biancasteeplechase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:38 AM   #16
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Hello - just a thought that maybe you have issues with your thyroid. It is a tough one to get diagnosed but might be worth investigating?
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:23 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

When you get around to making the diet work. Low intensity exercise would really help, it burns almost 100% fat. Make sure when you are exercising you can hold a conversation easily, that will keep in you the right zone.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:24 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biancasteeplechase View Post
With luck, Trillex will show up to post - she knows a ton about bodybuilding science, with none of the cantankerous attitude that infects too many bodybuilding boards.
Yeah, she's great. She answered all my questions on the other board about carbs and building muscle mass. I was concerned about LC and carb loading.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:48 PM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Try tweaking protein grams down to 100-110. Keep calories the same by bumping fat up to make up for the protein calories.
I will give this a shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biancasteeplechase View Post
I hope so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Hello - just a thought that maybe you have issues with your thyroid. It is a tough one to get diagnosed but might be worth investigating?
Thanks for bringing that up. I will get myself checked out next week at the doctor because I am starting to think that may possibly be the culprit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
When you get around to making the diet work. Low intensity exercise would really help, it burns almost 100% fat. Make sure when you are exercising you can hold a conversation easily, that will keep in you the right zone.
Thanks, I will keep that in mind.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:40 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nosugartalking
Stats: restarted Jan 2013 at 283/ current(227)/ 168 goal
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis / HF,LC,MP
Quote:
Totally AGREE!
nosugartalking is offline   Reply With Quote