Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/)
-   -   Potty Issues on NK (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/797809-potty-issues-nk.html)

dipasquale 02-24-2013 11:39 AM

Potty Issues on NK

Me and DH are 13 days into NK. We finally nailed down macro nutrient ratios that are working for us, and have lost 14lbs total in the last 2 weeks.

My question is about fiber. Do you supplement? Does your tummy eventually adjust to this diet and you start having normal BMs? We are both having an issue with diarrhea. I don't go nearly as often as I used to which I expect. I'm just wondering if this aspect will normalize, or if I should do something.

Also, if you do supplement, is there a particular product you recommend?

Thanks!
Bonnie

mizzcase 02-24-2013 12:11 PM

No fiber supplementing, the fat is usually enough. If you have issues, magnesium citrate works wonders, and its also good for muscle cramps.

SabreCat50 02-24-2013 12:44 PM

I have suffered from chronic constipation all of my life. I use Miralax 6 days a week and it does the trick.

With respect to NK, I have not tried yet to reduce my use of Miralax - yet. I want to be more constant in and comfortable with NK before I start to reduce my dependence on it.

Good luck.

Glenn in Omaha

reddarin 02-24-2013 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dipasquale (Post 16277950)
Me and DH are 13 days into NK. We finally nailed down macro nutrient ratios that are working for us, and have lost 14lbs total in the last 2 weeks.

My question is about fiber. Do you supplement? Does your tummy eventually adjust to this diet and you start having normal BMs? We are both having an issue with diarrhea. I don't go nearly as often as I used to which I expect. I'm just wondering if this aspect will normalize, or if I should do something.

Also, if you do supplement, is there a particular product you recommend?

Thanks!
Bonnie

Hi Bonnie :hiya:

Diarrhea for the entire time? How were ya'll eating before embarking on LC/NK?

You both need to be supplementing. I do not have any brand recommendations but a multivitamin, CoQ10, fish oil, magnesium, potassium and get plenty of sodium. Google 'jimmy moore bowden vitamins atlcx 26' and 'jimmy moore robbins magnesium llvlc 602' for two great podcasts about supplementing with LC.

Are you guys eating a lot or maybe not a lot of prepackaged LC foods? Or perhaps a lot of artificially sweetened stuff?

You don't need to supplement with fiber if you eat enough fat. Fat is far better than fiber for regularity and health. Unless there is some health issue already present as Glenn points out.

And to answer your question directly - yes you should have normal BMs after your adjusted to LC. If you are eating enough (and enough fat) you should be regular as a clock.

jillybean720 02-24-2013 01:22 PM

I am fabulously regular when I am sticking to LCHF. Now, when I indulge in starchy carbs, THAT is when I get backed up :o

dipasquale 02-24-2013 04:06 PM

Thanks for the responses - here are some more details.

My diet is about 77% fat, 3% carbs, 20% protein.

No pre-packaged foods. Our staples are meat, eggs, bacon, coconut oil, peanut butter, pasture raised dairy (in order of consumption - heavy cream, butter, cream cheese, ricotta and hard cheese) and chicken broth

Artificial Sweeteners - I made the pumpkin pie cheesecake from the Fat Fast cookbook last night, which uses liquid stevia. I halved the amount from the recipe. I don't think that's artificial, but not sure if it causes any issues.

Supplements - Fish Oil, coq-10 and b-complex

I'm on day 13 of the diet. About 9 days in I realized I couldn't remember the last time I had a BM so I took some miralax. The next day I had diarrhea. So I stopped taking it, a few more days went by then more diarrhea this morning.

Before this I was eating a mostly paleo diet. The only dairy I was eating was heavy cream, which I would have just about every night over frozen blueberries. Carbs consisted of green veggies, potatoes, sweet potatoes and occasional ice cream and french fries. I was gluten-free most of last year with the exception of a few special occasions.

I'll try adding magnesium and ride it out a couple more weeks to see if my digestive system adjusts. I'm also going to try adding some probiotics. I haven't had any luck with that helping my system much but it doesn't hurt. I also updated my ratios yesterday based on the info at the beginning of this thread. It turns out I wasn't getting enough protein. Maybe that will help correct the issues as well.

reddarin 02-24-2013 04:19 PM

How are you two doing on drinking pure water? Got to have enough water to do things and LC/NK is water shedding.

What sort of calories?

Magnesium should take care of it though. Don't jump from zero to the full RDA in one shot though if you can avoid it. Either way, have a bathroom nearby because you may need to go frequently when you first start supplementing. I currently take 2x RDA (800mg) per Dr. Robbins on that podcast I mentioned but I worked my way up to it over a couple weeks time.

Probiotics are not a bad idea. I don't take any but I know I've seen posts around LCF about how good it is with LC.

dipasquale 02-24-2013 06:03 PM

Our water intake is a little low. When I'm at work I'm fine, but weekends I slack off (without the water cooler). We based our calories on our target weight using this formula: ((goal_weight/2.2)*30). So my daily calories are around 1700.

I just ran out and got a Magnesium / Potassium complex supplement. I'll give that a few days and see if it works. Thanks everyone!

unna 02-28-2013 01:20 AM

How much coconut oil are you eating? In larger quantities, most people complain of this causing diarrhea.

In general, I think anytime anyone embarks on a new way of eating, it "surprises" the gut! A probiotic is a good idea.

Myles 02-28-2013 04:05 AM

long story short, i had issues too, and since i started taking magnesium before bed- they're gone.

dipasquale 02-28-2013 05:56 AM

Just wanted to update this - I've been taking magnesium (as suggested by this board) the last few nights, and my bathroom issues have resolved! Thanks everyone!