Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/)
-   -   Keto and Garcinia Cambogia? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/797110-keto-garcinia-cambogia.html)

Lovamelin 02-13-2013 12:47 PM

Keto and Garcinia Cambogia?

I was taking Garcinia Max, which contains a high concentration of garcinia cambogia. Supposedly one of the things it helps is to prevent fat absorption. So far from the 2-3 weeks I've been taking it I notice more general energy increases as opposed to anything else. But I just wanted to double check that I'm not hurting my keto diet if I keep taking this stuff. I mostly just don't want to waste the money I spent on it :) Below is a link that talks about what garcinia cambogia is supposed to do. How backed up all of the claims are I don't know. According to this it looks like it could help some as far as efficiently processing fats for energy, I just want to make sure I'm not blocking the necessary absorbtion as well.

reddarin 02-13-2013 01:34 PM

If I read it right, the biggest benefit is purportedly gives is blocking carb conversion to glucose. An NK person wouldn't benefit from that.

This bullet point:

"Promotes normal cholesterol levels*"

... I'd be concerned about. There is a lot of hysteria about cholesterol but mostly it is misinformation. Statins, for example, are a huge growth industry based on outright lies and misinformation about cholesterol. I'm very concerned about any product that might lower it.

And LC/NK deals with cholesterol better than any drug except in very few specific cases.

This...

"and promotes an increase in the formation of stored energy as glycogen"

...is meaningless. How does it promote that? I imagine this is an inferred benefit from some other supposed benefit.

They mention the study they are basing their claims on but they do not give the name of the study or provide a link. If it proves what they are claiming why not link to it? Seems strange.

I also noticed that when they describe specific results from the study they seem to be using the awful type of relative statistics that have been used to peddle a lot of pharmacological drugs of questionable benefit.

Email them and ask for a link to the study.

Personally, I wouldn't buy any more. The pills don't seem to be promising anything that you won't get with LC or NK as a matter of course.

shelley 02-13-2013 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reddarin (Post 16257531)
If I read it right, the biggest benefit is purportedly gives is blocking carb conversion to glucose. An NK person wouldn't benefit from that.

This bullet point:

"Promotes normal cholesterol levels*"

... I'd be concerned about. There is a lot of hysteria about cholesterol but mostly it is misinformation. Statins, for example, are a huge growth industry based on outright lies and misinformation about cholesterol. I'm very concerned about any product that might lower it.

And LC/NK deals with cholesterol better than any drug except in very few specific cases.

This...

"and promotes an increase in the formation of stored energy as glycogen"

...is meaningless. How does it promote that? I imagine this is an inferred benefit from some other supposed benefit.

They mention the study they are basing their claims on but they do not give the name of the study or provide a link. If it proves what they are claiming why not link to it? Seems strange.

I also noticed that when they describe specific results from the study they seem to be using the awful type of relative statistics that have been used to peddle a lot of pharmacological drugs of questionable benefit.

Email them and ask for a link to the study.

Personally, I wouldn't buy any more. The pills don't seem to be promising anything that you won't get with LC or NK as a matter of course.

:goodpost: Well done Major Red!!!!!