Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 08:26 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: UOMyst13
Stats: 165/155/125
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: January 2013
Tips for limiting damage on a mandatory high carb day

Hi guys!
I work at a fro-yo place and have a mandatory flavor tasting coming up and need your help! I am in charge of developing and implementing new flavor of frozen yogurt. It's a great job...except when you are low carb. This weekend we are tasting 10-12 flavors. We will be eating a lot and tasting a lot. We basically will be eating frozen yogurt for 2 hours straight(again, this is awesome except for low carb).
My husband is on ketosis too with me for the past 5-6 weeks. We have kept under 50 total carbs for the entire time. In the past week I also have kept my total carbs under 25g thanks to some great advice. We have big list 9-10 lbs so far.
He is wanting on off day. If we are going to be eating high sugar treats for 2 hours, his thought is to take the day off and celebrate valentines day by going to our favorite (non low carb) restaurant and having our favorite valentines treat for the day. He thought this may be a good mental break and would gear us up to keep going.
So my questions:
Opinions on going high carb the rest of the day since we will already be eating non low carb?
Any tips on how to lessen the damage of high carb days (I still need to lose like30lbs).
Anyone do an occasional off day?

Let me know your experiences. I'm nervous to go off plan but have to at least in the morning for work. But still deciding what to do after that...

Thanks!!
UOMyst13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2013, 09:03 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Well, right off the bat there is the problem of getting sick when you go from strict LC to a high carb meal/day. You should probably be flexible about doing a cheat day with your husband on that day in case the carbs make you sick. It may take a few hours to feel the effects but they can be pretty awful.

You could do your celebratory cheat meal but avoid really bad carbs as much as possible if that is even possible.

A high carb meal will probably cause about a 3 to 5 day readjustment for keto-adaptation. But a full day of high carb may mean 2 to 3 weeks for regaining NK.

Prepare yourself for recovery by making NK eating as easy as possible the next day - have NK food pre-prepared and expunge any cheat foods that might be laying around. If it is something that you can't toss or is maybe okay in moderation use tried and true dieting tricks like putting stuff in the freezer to make impulse eating harder.

Sadly, there has been no forward progress on my proposal for an LC S.W.A.T. team. Still, you should choose a table facing the door and against a wall in case there is a break through between now and the time you have your carby meal. [Update: I have been informed by my court appointed attorney that assuming the alias of 'LC Avenger' does not negate any existing restraining orders.]

Last edited by reddarin; 02-13-2013 at 09:15 AM..
reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:05 AM   #3
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
I have a hard time with a company forcing you to eat foods that you have no desire to.
Can you claim health reasons, that you avoid sugar?
I'm pretty sure that "forcing" you to eat anything is pretty illegal.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:03 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: UOMyst13
Stats: 165/155/125
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: January 2013
Dottie- I am not forced to eat anything. It really is a part of my job I very much enjoy. I have been following LC for a while so i am nervous for the first day off plan. But since I picked out 80% of the flavors, I'm pretty sure I will love all of them

Hahah Red. Please don't tackle me if you see me eating high carb! I promise for it to be a rare occasion. Thanks for the advice. Being off ketosis for 2-3 weeks is kinda a hard pill to swallow....
UOMyst13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:34 AM   #5
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
Oh sorry, when you said mandatory, I thought you meant they are forcing you.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:02 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 20, 2012
I guess I would say if you enjoy it and its part of your job, eat the yogurt, but not too much. And end your carb consumption there. Don't get into the frame of mind, "Oh I already ate carbs today, might as well continue." Not only does that go against low carb eating/NK, but that loss/lack of control and throwing 3 sheets to the wind is indicative of binge eating disorder, or the possible onset of one if you don't get it under control.

Italian is AWESOME and can be low carb as well. Chicken marsala, piccante, caesar salad, heck even chicken parm (without the pasta) is pretty low carb as well. Honestly, pasta is just a vehicle for the sauce, and many Italian sauces are low carb, just check with the waiter if you're unsure. Or you can be like me and tell the server before the meal that you are grain/sugar/starch/gluten free and to be aware. I also tell them I have severe allergies to these items and am a diabetic celiac so then they really make sure they don't mess up the order. OK, so maybe I'm stretching it, but who cares?!

Honestly, looking back, I can't think of one high-carb meal I've had that was worth the week(s)long setback.
mizzcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:16 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
Oh sorry, when you said mandatory, I thought you meant they are forcing you.
I thought it was "mandatory" in the same way. Therefore, it is a "choice".

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzcase View Post
Or you can be like me and tell the server before the meal that you are grain/sugar/starch/gluten free and to be aware. I also tell them I have severe allergies to these items and am a diabetic celiac so then they really make sure they don't mess up the order. OK, so maybe I'm stretching it, but who cares?!

Honestly, looking back, I can't think of one high-carb meal I've had that was worth the week(s)long setback.
I had to laugh at this. We went to a Christmas dinner with 2 other neighbors last year. I called the fancy restaurant in advance and told them I was gluten free, low carb and sugar free and would the meal (set price of $35) work for me. The manager called me back and assured me that they would make a note on my reservation and I would be very pleased with my dinner. So, we accepted the invitation from the neighbors. They all got salads and soups....I was told the dressings all had sugar and that the soup had a flour base to thicken it...so I got nothing. The entree...they all got turkey with gravy, mashed potatoes, stuffing, roasted assorted veggies and cranberry relish. I got 2 little medallions of turkey on a HUGE plate. No veggies, no garnish, nothing! I was horrified. The waiter never returned. Then dessert came and they all got grand marnier souffles.....I got nothing!

So.....I learned my lesson about that!!! I called the manager the next day as he was "off" that night and he was obviously horrified as he remembered me calling. This place was over an hours drive away in each direction and I did get charged $35...but he refunded it 100% and gave me a gift certificate to return for lunch someday...I did...it was awesome then!!
Old 02-13-2013, 02:18 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Just had another thought.....I am not 100% sure of this, but it seems to me that I recall that IF you have high carbs, that you should have lots of protein to not make insulin spike? Does anyone know if that's right. I think carbs and fat are the deadly combo, so think carbs and protein make it less "horrible" to the body? Just tossing out that idea and maybe someone will come and correct me or confirm it.
shelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:30 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LarlaB
Stats: 5' 11" ~ 168/141/148
WOE: LCHF & Training for a Marathon
Start Date: August 13, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by UOMyst13 View Post
Hi guys!
I work at a fro-yo place and have a mandatory flavor tasting coming up and need your help! I am in charge of developing and implementing new flavor of frozen yogurt. It's a great job...except when you are low carb. This weekend we are tasting 10-12 flavors. We will be eating a lot and tasting a lot. We basically will be eating frozen yogurt for 2 hours straight(again, this is awesome except for low carb).
My husband is on ketosis too with me for the past 5-6 weeks. We have kept under 50 total carbs for the entire time. In the past week I also have kept my total carbs under 25g thanks to some great advice. We have big list 9-10 lbs so far.
He is wanting on off day. If we are going to be eating high sugar treats for 2 hours, his thought is to take the day off and celebrate valentines day by going to our favorite (non low carb) restaurant and having our favorite valentines treat for the day. He thought this may be a good mental break and would gear us up to keep going.
So my questions:
Opinions on going high carb the rest of the day since we will already be eating non low carb?
Any tips on how to lessen the damage of high carb days (I still need to lose like30lbs).
Anyone do an occasional off day?

Let me know your experiences. I'm nervous to go off plan but have to at least in the morning for work. But still deciding what to do after that...

Thanks!!

I know you didn't ask, but my opinion is to stay on-plan as much as you possibly can- always. But if you HAVE to, choose a meal- not a day.

For me, I've learned to celebrate 'on plan' because I found that going in/out of ketosis was not my favorite thing. Its all a mind set and for me, this HAD to be a lifestyle change. I don't feel deprived- at all. But I'm also motivated because I know high-carb food will make me feel- and its NOT worth it anymore.

An aged rib-eye w/ compound herbed butter, brussel sprouts, caesar salad and a glass of red wine.... it.doesn't.get.any.better.than.that. for me! Ok fine- add a dark chocolate mousse (HWC and 86% dark chocolate) and that rounds it out.

But its your journey- some people do better w/ cheat days 1x a month or whatever. I'm a runner w/ a keen eye to keto adaption, so I can't afford to have an off week 1x a month.

Good luck!
LarlaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:52 PM   #10
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I understand that people differ, but my experience may help you decide what to do. I had been low carbing for some time at just about 20g a day (a level at which I still eat, as I'm very carb sensitive) when my endo ordered a Glucose Tolerance Test because she wondered whether my low carb eating was 'masking' Type 2 diabetes, since it is prevalent in my family.

However, she told me that for an accurate test, I needed to eat at least 150g of carbs a day [preferably more] for 3 days prior to the test. So for 3 days, my daily menu was very high carb, I took the test (no diabetes!), and immediately returned to my standard low-carb WOE. I never felt sick, tired, or any different eating all those carbs for just a few days.

I had no 'cravings' or other issues and had no difficulty getting right back into low carb.

In your situation, I would just do whatever I felt was right for me.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:53 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: zgirl
I've never actually tried this myself, but I have read on some Primal/Paleo sites that if you are going to do a carb "refeed," which is basically what you will be doing with the frozen yogurt, you should definitely aim to have as little fat as possible that day. I believe the recommendation was under 50g? You may want to Google "dear mark should i increase carb intake for weight loss" for some more info. Again, can't vouch for this personally, but just to help you make a decision!
zgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:41 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarlaB View Post

An aged rib-eye w/ compound herbed butter, brussel sprouts, caesar salad and a glass of red wine.... it.doesn't.get.any.better.than.that. for me! Ok fine- add a dark chocolate mousse (HWC and 86% dark chocolate) and that rounds it out.
Pardon me while I wipe the drool off my chin...do you have a recipe for that dark chocolate mousse? That entire meal sounds wonderful! That shows how much my palette has changed since starting LC - I wouldn't have eaten half of that stuff before.

I'll add my vote to restricting your off-plan time to one meal. I fell off the wagon at Christmas, and gained 9 lbs in three days. It took me a month to get back to my pre-Christmas weight, and I got to enjoy induction flu over New Year's day. It's really not worth it.

And now I'm going to commit sacrilege: when you taste the yogurt, can you spit it out rather than swallow it? I know it sounds a bit gross, but people do it at wine tastings, and you don't have to eat the froyo to taste it.
MerryKate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:41 AM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kayellr
Stats: 5'5" 195/171/135
WOE: LCHF/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: 1/29/2013
An option if you really want to totally minimize the damage, would to be to treat the tasting like a wine tasting. Taste a flavor, savor, analyze the flavor, mouth feel etc and then...spit it out into a bucket. Rinse your mouth to clear your palate* and taste the next one.

*probably should skip the bite of bread or cracker bit.

Last edited by kayellr; 02-14-2013 at 06:42 AM..
kayellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:04 AM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Hmmmm.

Am I the only one that sees a parallel developing here with that Office scene where Dwight cracks open a can of sardines, Pam spits up, Andy reacts and then there is a chain reaction around the office while Creed eats his ramen noodles?
reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:13 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Hmmmm.

Am I the only one that sees a parallel developing here with that Office scene where Dwight cracks open a can of sardines, Pam spits up, Andy reacts and then there is a chain reaction around the office while Creed eats his ramen noodles?
Clueless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:38 PM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LarlaB
Stats: 5' 11" ~ 168/141/148
WOE: LCHF & Training for a Marathon
Start Date: August 13, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryKate View Post
Pardon me while I wipe the drool off my chin...do you have a recipe for that dark chocolate mousse? That entire meal sounds wonderful! That shows how much my palette has changed since starting LC - I wouldn't have eaten half of that stuff before.
My favorite cheap/easy chocolate mousse is to use an immersion blender w/ 1/4 cup Heavy Whipping Cream & 1/2 packet of DIET Hot Chocolate Mix (2g carb) Its sooo simple, and I like the mild chocolate taste w/ minimal sugar.

Of course that isn't the most sophisticated way to compliment a fine dinner, so you can also do heavy cream (whipped) and fold in melted 86% dark chocolate as well...then chill & serve. (or you can do HWC, dark cocoa powder & sweetner- also all sour cream for extra tang)
LarlaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:18 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarlaB View Post
My favorite cheap/easy chocolate mousse is to use an immersion blender w/ 1/4 cup Heavy Whipping Cream & 1/2 packet of DIET Hot Chocolate Mix (2g carb) Its sooo simple, and I like the mild chocolate taste w/ minimal sugar.
I just came in here looking for a low-protein meal option...think I've found it. I'd make one modification in hopes the "whip" will last til lunchtime – I've found that adding a 1/4 tsp of glucomannan when you're nearly done whipping helps whipped cream stay stiff (like the texture of pastry cream).

My favorite part about taking low-carb treats to work is watching my co-workers faces when I pull out some decadent dessert for lunch. Makes up for all the meetings where I have to ignore the giant box of donuts on the table in front of me.
MerryKate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:45 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jenericstewart
Stats: 293+/177/173; 5'6", 53 yrs
WOE: JUDDD / CAD
Start Date: 6/7/12
i am not in ketosis, with an intake of approximately 60 grams carbs, but maybe this will work...

i do occasional carb up days to tweak my metabolism. a trick for me is to keep the fats extremely low, at no higher than 50 grams on these up days. if this is an option, you might find it works for you. as previously stated, it's the carb/fat combo that is the killer.
jenericstewart is offline   Reply With Quote