Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2013, 01:32 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Lovamelin
Recommended Vitamins and Minerals?

On the keto diet there are things that are obviously lacking. I have taken a multivitamin for years. So I'll just keep going with that. I have also been taking Fish Oil (omega 3 fats) for years for my joints actually, plus the other benefits of it. But I've read you can be deficient in things like vitamin D, calcium, and some other minerals. From what I've read they say a multivitamin will take care most of this. Other than that perhaps taking an additional calcium and vitamin D supplement could help keep those in check. Does that sound accurate?

Also I take a green tea supplement for the antioxidant, energy, and cleaning out properties. I heard this can combat the ketosis benefits. Is that true? Thanks.
Lovamelin is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2013, 01:43 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Supplement with magnesium for sure. Potassium is a typical one too.

Just be aware of any health conditions or Rx meds you take. Like BP meds and potassium - you have to be careful about that.

Jimmy Moore has a couple of podcasts you might find interesting:

Google 'jimmy moore bowden vitamins atlcx 26'

Google 'jimmy moore robbins magnesium llvlc 602'
reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:45 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Yes but..

Am I getting enough of those in a multivitamin or do I need additional magnesium and potassium with my multivitamin? That was the general thrust of the question. Also any other observations on the other questions?
Old 02-11-2013, 01:57 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

From other research I've seen Vitamin D and B show up commonly. Some also suggest Carnitine and Chromium for the abilities to facilitate the metabolic change of using fats instead of carbs. But the evidence seems low and largely anecdotal on those.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:32 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

No, it is unlikely that your mult-vitamin is providing enough potassium or magnesium. And LC is diuretic so it is important that you supplement minerals that you will be shedding every day.

Vitamin D is good to take if you are not constantly out soaking up the sun.

You can get a panel done at the doc's office to check your levels on most of it if you have an appointment coming up.

Here is what I take:

Multi.
Omega Red (x2)
Magnesium (oxide but I take 800mg)
Garlic
Potassium (x3 of the 99mg)
CoQ10 (x2 of them)

I'm sure that others are taking more vitamins/minerals than me. And I'm a guy so your needs may be a bit different.

When you start supplementing with magnesium try to do it when you will be home for the day. It can upset your stomach till you get used to it. In fact, I take my 800mg throughout the day because the dosage my cheapy bottle comes in is 3 pills for 400mg so I take 6 spread out. But if you go from zero to 800mg you'll be bathroom bound for who knows how many hours.

Last edited by reddarin; 02-11-2013 at 02:33 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 02-11-2013, 02:46 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Oh, to directly answer your question about the multivitamin - no it does not provide enough of some of the important minerals like magnesium and potassium.

Also! Sodium. LC is not a low sodium way of eating. If you neglect your sodium intake you'll have some problems. Just make sure that you consider any health or meds issue but 5g of sodium is what you should be getting from a combination of food and added salt. Table salt is only 40% sodium so keep that in mind.

I created a thread about sodium:

NK and Salt - You must have it!