Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2013, 03:18 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
Hunger in NK?

Does anyone experience hunger when in NK? I'm assuming that if your body is functioning on fat as fuel you wouldn't be experiencing hunger, regardless if you are drawing on your fat stores as energy or not. Is this thinking correct? The reason I am asking is that I sometimes experience a bit of hunger after eating a meal or sometimes between meals and I am trying to figure out what this means, because in my mind I don't think I should be experiencing hunger if I am truly in NK.

I am curious what other people think based on their experience with NK.

Thanks.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2013, 05:16 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Yes and no... I do experience that empty feeling associated with hunger, but it's not usually that knawing feeling feeling that I would get while not in NK. It's not urgent and desperate, but something I can acknowledge and feed or not and I'm okay either way.

Yesterday and the day before I was having some urges/intrusive thoughts about food that I haven't experienced since getting into NK, but it's so hard to tell if they are physical/chemical or psychological. Today I upped my fat and I did feel pretty empty for a lot of the day (I ate last at 8 pm yesterday) but I didn't have the urge to munch or feel in jeopardy of cheating.

I still feel like this is all a balancing act and I am being very careful to keep it going. I'm scared I'm going to make a misstep at some point and faceplant in carbs.

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb
once a day feeding
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:36 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
I do. But it is manageable even if I get very hungry.

For example, if I start the morning with coffee and an ounce of CO and about 3oz of HWC at say 7am I can easily go till 3pm or 4pm before I really feel like I have to eat something. But I may feel a little hungry by noon.

Even lately with just coffee and an oz of CO I might feel a bit hungry but I can ignore it for hours.

Usually my big problem is not waiting so late in the day that I have to try to get all of my protein and fat in at one meal. And I don't care for eating real late in the evening so I'm in a bind if I put off eating too late.

Some days, though, I am not hungry even if I skip lunch and dinner time rolls around.

reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:16 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
Thanks you guys, I appreciate your feedback. I've only been LC for a couple of months now and before going on LC I was really struggling with hypoglycemia and insulin spikes. I didn't eat processed foods or foods containing sugar so I couldn't figure it out. I did eat tons of whole grains, fruit and veggies though, which I learned later for some people they can be a problem. I was also eating a lot of protein.

Although most of the symptoms that were causing me problems are gone now, I still was feeling a bit of hunger here and there. So I wasn't sure if I was still eating too many carbs. I am basically following the atkins plan and I am just above induction level with the carbs. 20 - 25g, but the problem is that I am small so I wasn't sure if the carbs were still too many. I also didn't want to cut them out completely because my carbs are mostly coming from LC veggies now, and that is where I am getting my fiber from. But the theory behind atkins is that you slowly add back foods and back off if you notice a sensitivity to a food. After eating some things(meals) I sometimes get a reaction, which I am pretty sure is an insulin spike followed by mild hypoglycemia. Because it is an inappropriate time to be feeling hungry (right after a meal). That is why I needed feedback from other people, because I am losing which is what happens in the first two phases of the atkins plan, I didn't know if I was supposed to be feeling hungry or not in NK.

I'm going to try to see if I can get coconut oil around where I live. I live in a small town and things are difficult to get.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote