Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2013, 02:08 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Lovamelin
Coming off a keto diet...

So I'm about to start a keto diet due to some overwhelmingly positive results of a couple different friends of mine. I have questions in regards to a couple of things.

Should this diet be maintained for a long time? From what Iíve read people have maintained this way of eating for years (Inuits and other hunter gatherers) but I imagine for most due to it being hard to maintain should probably cycle off. That and technically speaking this isnít a balanced diet. I would think when you do cycle off you should still be eating mild atkins with protein taking over the majority of the fats and keeping a low (~15-20%) of your diet on carbs.

Part of my question resulting from that observation is, do you have weight gain when coming off of the diet beyond just the issues of retaining of carbs and water gain. I know you can go back to eating normal slowly and that helps. But Iím just wondering if you did Keto for 6 months then went back to a normal low carb atkins style diet would you slowly gain? And then have to cycle on routinely or could you simply cycle back on when you have gained weight due to poor eating or other factors? Thanks!
Lovamelin is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2013, 07:59 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
This is a lifetime way of eating so yes it can be done forever and you'll be healthy as far as diet can make you healthy as long as you eat this way.

'Balanced diet' is a sham from the folks in mainstream nutrition. The nice people that have created an epidemic of obesity.

Part of LC eating is education and the other part is attitude. Get one and you'll get the other and you won't look back.

Can you run by the library tomorrow and get Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes? See if you can get Wheat Belly by Dr. Davis too. If you want to dig in more then The Art and Science of Low Carb Living is next.

At any rate, Why We Get Fat is an excellent primer on LC, why it works, why it is real science and it debunks a lot of what passes for nutritional advice from the mainstream arena.

Have you seen the movie Fat Head? It is a great place to get your feet wet with LC. Tom Naughton has an official version on YouTube through one of his distributors so you can watch it for free right now.

reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:14 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
When they say balanced diet, I think they're talking about good foods with bad foods. You can just let go of the bad foods.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:10 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
I read on another thread, on another forum, that for some people the keto just resets your metabolism so that you can once again handle carbs without losing the advantage of being mainly a fat burner. With some people, maybe those who once had a normal metabolism, carb abuse over the years taught their body to lose the ability to burn fat. The keto teaches your body to do that again and you can increase your level of carbs almost back to normal. However in the case of someone who has metabolic syndrome, that may not be possible, I am thinking maybe people who were obese as children or who have type II diabetes. Those people may not be able to return to a diet that is moderate to high carb. It depends on the individual.

Last edited by Punkin; 02-13-2013 at 04:22 AM..
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:19 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

I think what is important though, is that LC is not for everyone. And even though we believe it works for us, not to push it on other people. I definitely agree that we need to eliminate sugar and processed foods as major food groups in our culture as much as possible. But LC for some people also means getting rid of whole nutritious foods such as potatos, corn, grains and fruits. These things are good for you, if you haven't damaged your metabolism or have faulty genetics. Just because one culture survived on fish grease throughout the winter doesn't mean its a better way/healthier way to eat. What was the life expectancy of those people anyways? I also read the performance book, and although there is a study on an elite group of cyclists performing well on LC, the study is just a snapshot of what was going on with that group at the time. How do they fair on LC for years? I think we have to keep in mind that we are the lab rats for this way of living, and awareness of that is significant.

Last edited by Punkin; 02-13-2013 at 04:20 AM..
Old 02-13-2013, 04:38 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
There are three nutrient groups.

Protein
Fat
Carbs

There is only one that is not an essential nutrient.

reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:33 AM   #7
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovamelin View Post
So I'm about to start a keto diet due to some overwhelmingly positive results of a couple different friends of mine. I have questions in regards to a couple of things.

Should this diet be maintained for a long time? From what Iíve read people have maintained this way of eating for years (Inuits and other hunter gatherers) but I imagine for most due to it being hard to maintain should probably cycle off. That and technically speaking this isnít a balanced diet. I would think when you do cycle off you should still be eating mild atkins with protein taking over the majority of the fats and keeping a low (~15-20%) of your diet on carbs.

Part of my question resulting from that observation is, do you have weight gain when coming off of the diet beyond just the issues of retaining of carbs and water gain. I know you can go back to eating normal slowly and that helps. But Iím just wondering if you did Keto for 6 months then went back to a normal low carb atkins style diet would you slowly gain? And then have to cycle on routinely or could you simply cycle back on when you have gained weight due to poor eating or other factors? Thanks!
There is no need to go back to eating poorly (i.e. carbs) and I would say that is true for everyone. There is no such thing as an 'essential carb'. Some people handle carbs in their diet better than others - at least with outward signs.

To answer your question, there is no way to know for sure whether or not you will regain weight.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:27 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Ok, but they argue that we still need carbs not necessarily the macronutrient itself but we need what comes along with it, micronutrients and fiber. For optimal health, not necessarily for basic survival. In the book, they don't advocate for a diet that is just fat and protein did they? Did I miss something? Even on the atkins diet, they still want you to consume some carbs, it is just that they should come from the induction veggies.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:59 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Glad to see this discussion has taken off somewhat without my involvement. I'm into day two of keto. No issues, no "keto flu" symptoms really. Althoguh I have definitely found that I need to keep my intake of fats up to have any energy since I'm not taking carbs.

That said I think Punkin has valid points. While Keto (or these days the popularized version Paleo) was a natural diet for years and supposedly our bodies can't handle carbs/grains, etc etc the Keto diet is obviously lacking if it requires we take certain vitamins that are deficient in our diet otherwise. I still feel the best way to live is in balance. And I think living with a keto mindset but not being horribly strict is good. Basically living at Aktins way of life keeping carbs to 50-75 grams or whatever works for your paritcular metabolism. I'm going strict keto for a few months to lose weight but after that I think I'll just keep carbs in the low range so i don't have to avoid grains or carbs at every turn. I think it will be a good training to avoid things like sugars though.

Regardless dependant on results I will become a believer. I think I'll see results though especially since I'm continuing my workout routine as well. I think what I find the biggest challenge is getting enough fats but then staying under the calorie limit since fats, whether good or bad, are so high in caloric content. Anyways keep on keepin on!
Old 02-13-2013, 08:01 AM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Oh, I forgot, to the effect that Punkin argues some say carbs are necessary. I've read the same thing many times. Especially in regards to athletes or people who work out regularly. Myself I work out at least 4 times if not 5 or 6 times a week. From an expert who has obviously thoroughly done their research they said to have one cheat day where I take in carbs per week in order to supply my muscles with the necessary glucose storage so they don't eat proteins/themselves to be maintained. I am admittedly torn as a friend of mine who did keto very successfully said having one cheat day will keep you sane and you'll still lose weight but that he felt the results in general were greatly slowed down by cheat day. Like most people I am result driven and the quicker the better. So we'll see.