Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2013, 06:13 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ~~v~~
in ketosis, eating on plan, not losing

Ok, I use an online tracker and I come pretty darn close to my target of
5% carb/ 70% fat/ 20% pro
I eat ~ 1800 cal/ day - I do not use artificial sweeteners, eat real food
I am active, 5'9, 180 lbs
I would like to be 165.
I started at 190 in Nov, lost 10, then stopped losing in Jan.

So it's been 5 weeks of no weight loss. My eating plan hasn't changed at all from when I was losing weight last fall. Any ideas? I am trying to be patient but it's hard to be patient for > 1 month!

Last edited by ~~v~~; 02-07-2013 at 06:58 AM..
~~v~~ is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2013, 08:00 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
I weigh 60 lbs more than you and I have to stay under 1300 calories to lose. When I increased my calories to 1800, I gained 10 lbs in 1 month. Still trying to lose that.
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:02 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~~v~~ View Post
Ok, I use an online tracker and I come pretty darn close to my target of
5% carb/ 70% fat/ 20% pro
I eat ~ 1800 cal/ day - I do not use artificial sweeteners, eat real food
I am active, 5'9, 180 lbs
I would like to be 165.
I started at 190 in Nov, lost 10, then stopped losing in Jan.

So it's been 5 weeks of no weight loss. My eating plan hasn't changed at all from when I was losing weight last fall. Any ideas? I am trying to be patient but it's hard to be patient for > 1 month!
Are you exercising? I mean, how active is active?

What is your typical menu for a day?
reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:41 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

triathlete, training 16 hours/week

Everything I ate the other day:

Fat - Coconut Oil, 0.5 T
Kerrygold - Pure Irish Butter Unsalted (1 Tbsp)
Eggs - 3
Greek Yogurt Plain (Made With Whole Milk) 0.25 cup
Rib Eye Steak 6 oz cooked
Cream cheese - Plain, 0.5 oz
Blackberries - Raw, 100 g
Sockeye Salmon, 6 oz.
Ranch Dressing, 1 Tbsp
Broccoli 1 cup
Salad, 2 cups
Cream - Heavy 2 tbsp
Cheese - Cheddar, 2 oz

I did lose 10 lbs on 1800 cal/day over Nov/Dec. But then stopped
Old 02-07-2013, 08:58 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
triathlete, training 16 hours/week

Everything I ate the other day:

Fat - Coconut Oil, 0.5 T
Kerrygold - Pure Irish Butter Unsalted (1 Tbsp)
Eggs - 3
Greek Yogurt Plain (Made With Whole Milk) 0.25 cup
Rib Eye Steak 6 oz cooked
Cream cheese - Plain, 0.5 oz
Blackberries - Raw, 100 g
Sockeye Salmon, 6 oz.
Ranch Dressing, 1 Tbsp
Broccoli 1 cup
Salad, 2 cups
Cream - Heavy 2 tbsp
Cheese - Cheddar, 2 oz

I did lose 10 lbs on 1800 cal/day over Nov/Dec. But then stopped
You know, there is a book made just for you. The Art and Science of Low Carb Performance. With the type of training you are doing I think that is where you will find your answers - I have not read it.

What you need to figure out is your calorie expenditure to determine the right calorie deficit (I think). For sure too much of a deficit makes the body want to hold on to every bit of fat it can. And, because of your athletic endeavors, you probably need to tweak your protein for the right body fat for you. The Performance book covers all of that. It was written specifically for athletes.

It has been out for a while so it is probably at your local library. Amazon has it. Get the physical form of the book rather than the e-book or get both but the physical form is much easier to study.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:05 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Thanks. I have that book, actually. I have read it cover-to-cover twice. :/
Old 02-07-2013, 12:34 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Thanks. I have that book, actually. I have read it cover-to-cover twice. :/
No kidding? Have you read the Living one? It probably doesn't have anything that the Performance one has though since the Performance one was written in response to demand from the LC fitness community after the Living book.

Your calorie situation is tricky because the hard workouts you are doing result in a lower resting metabolism which means you burn less calories than otherwise the other 152 hours a week. On the other hand, the 16 hours of training is burning more calories while you are doing it than if you weren't doing it. So you are, it seems to me, in the position of trying to eat enough fuel to keep your body from reacting to too big of a caloric deficit while also needing to eat less calories than you otherwise would to account for the lower metabolism.

Maybe calorie cycling is the answer for you?

But wait. Are you exercising every day of the week? Or every other day with a rest day in between?

Assuming you are doing the alternating rest days, which I gather is the best technique for training...

You are 180 so a 'normally' active person is using about 2900 calories a day. On workout days you might expend 4000 calories(?). On rest days maybe 2400 or so.

So on exercise days do 2500 calories - because 4000 expenditure is a wild guess you may need 3000 to keep the calorie deficit to something reasonable. On rest days do 1800 (because 2400 is probably accurate).

I'd say don't over do the protein but I'm not sure how the Performance book approaches that topic except that you determine needs in part based on desired BF%.

Since your training is not primarily strength training (right?), then extra protein doesn't seem to be particularly beneficial if it is ever beneficial.

Last edited by reddarin; 02-07-2013 at 12:35 PM..
Old 02-07-2013, 12:43 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

6 days/week, often doubles. one day off.
2x strength conditioning in addition to swim/bike/run. Also yoga.

The thing is that I have been maintaining a large weightloss for years. Some of it crept back on (I was 270 lbs). So my metabolism is screwed up royally as a result of all of this.

I was so optimistic that I was losing weight and then thinking, "oh just a stall" but now I am thinking I need some sort of major overhaul.

Thanks for your input. I appreciate it.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:49 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

You say you are in ketosis. What have your morning blood ketone readings looked like for the last week or so?
Old 02-07-2013, 02:19 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
Quote:
6 days/week, often doubles. one day off.
2x strength conditioning in addition to swim/bike/run. Also yoga.

The thing is that I have been maintaining a large weightloss for years. Some of it crept back on (I was 270 lbs). So my metabolism is screwed up royally as a result of all of this.

I was so optimistic that I was losing weight and then thinking, "oh just a stall" but now I am thinking I need some sort of major overhaul.

Thanks for your input. I appreciate it.
Its possible you're stalling because a higher fat diet is causing your body to store fat even though you think you are eating in deficit. Just like LC diets work for some people, they do not work for everyone. If you are doing that much exercising, there is no way your weight should be staying the same. Something is wrong, I don't know if it is true, but in one of the resources I read they found that people exercising over a certain number of hours a week (I think it was over 7hrs/week) actually have a lower metabolism than people who don't exercise as much. Are you training for the purpose of losing weight? Because if you are you might be shooting yourself in the foot.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:57 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Robofitz
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 1/7/13
Very sorry to hear your struggle and I understand your frustration like you wouldn’t believe. I too am 5’9 and used to weigh 270. I dropped weight years ago through diet and working out. Was down to 150 then weight started creeping back on and not for the lack of trying to keep the weight off. This is why I am now low carbing although my weight shifts very, very slowly even on LC. I still workout hard and no matter what I was doing for diet nothing seemed to work. I then had my thyroid checked and my Dr. put me on Naturetroid, he told me I would most likely start losing weight rapidly and nothing, weight didn’t drop at all even after balancing out my thyroid levels.

Unless you are training for competition I suggest maybe backing off your workouts just a tad, maybe you are over working as Punkin mentioned. Also stick to LC a bit longer, maybe give it another 30 days then make a decision. LC isn’t for every body type so at that point you might have to try something that will work for you.

Are you sticking to whole foods and good fats, no aspartame or artificial sweeteners, drinking enough water? Are you eating too much fruit or maybe too many nuts?
Old 02-07-2013, 03:03 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Robofitz
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 1/7/13
Just wanted to add that I am now starting to lose...still at a very slow pace but these are the changes I made...

I try to eat as organic as possible
I cut out any artificial sweeteners
I cut back on nuts
I upped my fat intake a tad
I cut back the intensity of my workouts and cut back from 6days to 4-5days
I eat way more simple whole foods

Hope this helps, good luck!!
Robofitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:59 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

drjlocarb - I just pee on the sticks. Purple.

Punkin - I lost 110 lbs years ago on the Atkins diet so I know it can work for me. But I may be eating too much fat now. I do triathlons because I love them. It is true that exercise lowers your metabolism. Such a bummer.

Robofitz - yes, I have to watch not to overdo it on the nuts and too much cheese too. I use artificial sweeteners as a "treat", maybe once/week I have a diet soda. You'll get there. It took me > 2 years to lose all of that weight but I did it. Yay. And now I just want to lose 10-15 lbs and it's like aaaaargh!!

Well, I am guessing it's several factors:
1) my metabolism is messed up from the original huge weight loss
2) my metabolism is lower bc I exercise a lot
3) my body adjusted to the HF/LC diet, it took it 2 months to figure it out, and now it has.

So .... I may try cutting calories a bit more but it's hard to work out on low cal. I may try eating slightly less fat and more protein. Or I may just figure, hey, I am not hungry all the time and feel pretty good, so I'll just be this weight and be happy with it.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:24 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

I used to do triathlons because I enjoyed them. But it is really hard to make weight loss gains and stabilize your diet when you are exercising that much. It completely messes up your metabolism. I decided to give them up, because the real reason I was doing them was for weight control anyways, so now I keep it to no more than 7hrs of exercise a week. Sometimes it involves a bike ride or a swim, but I'm not training for anything, I just do it because I like it.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:44 AM   #15
Junior LCF Member

This season may be my last ironman because I've got some injuries and running is hard on my body but I love long-distance swimming and cycling and I don't see myself ever giving those up. But you are right, extreme amounts of exercise really screw with your metabolism. And given that I already had extreme weightloss it's like a double whammy.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:32 AM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Hmmm.

Well, Phinny isn't a big fan of IF but maybe it would work for your situation? Keep your calories up but eat all of your calories in a 4 hour window type thing.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:05 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I am not sure I would attempt something like an iron man without test BLOOD ketones to be sure you are in Nutritional Ketosis vs dietary ketosis.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:41 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NKSL55
Stats: 205/185/175
WOE: General LC then NK
Start Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlocarb View Post
I am not sure I would attempt something like an iron man without test BLOOD ketones to be sure you are in Nutritional Ketosis vs dietary ketosis.
What's the difference? NK and dietary ketosis are just alternative names for the same thing. Not to be confused with diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA).

--
Phillip
NKSL55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:42 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: route66
Stats: 160/<145/141
WOE: IF Combo - 6:1 & 16/8ish
Start Date: Oct 2012
I don't usually post on this board (I followed NK for a short time but moved to IF/Cal Cycling), but I echo someone's above suggestion to look into calorie cycling. You don't need to change the way you eat, but I have heard much positive anecdotal success regarding "fixed" metabolism from calorie cycling. There's tons of ways to do it so I won't suggest anything specific, but that may be something to look into...
route66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:42 AM   #20
Junior LCF Member

reddarin - possibly a stupid question but what is IF?

drjlocarb, AFAIK Nutritional ketosis and dietary ketosis are the same thing?
Old 02-08-2013, 10:48 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
reddarin - possibly a stupid question but what is IF?
Intermittent Fasting.
Generally the "fast" is less than 16 hours. So it could be as simple as eating only 1 meal a day. Or a few meals during a 4-8 hour window of time.

Quote:
drjlocarb, AFAIK Nutritional ketosis and dietary ketosis are the same thing?
That is my understanding as well.

--
Phillip
Old 02-08-2013, 10:48 AM   #22
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sharkbait
WOE: Ketonic
Start Date: Jan 2013
sorry for copying and pasting from another post of mine but i think it's relevant to this conversation...

think of it like this... you are training your body to burn fat, so if your weight was stable you would need x amount of calories a day depending on your body size and activity (this would be at whatever your best ratio is - for me 80/15/5) However, if you want to lose weight, you want your body to use your own fat for energy, not fat you eat so you need to restrict your total calories but still keep your ratio the same

so i'm guessing that 1800 calories at your ratio is perfect for maintaining your body weight at 180. so if you want to lose you need to cut calories...

but can i ask if you have checked your bfp? you might have lost fat and picked up muscle so although your weight is the same your composition is better...

Last edited by sharkbait; 02-08-2013 at 10:53 AM..
sharkbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:56 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: route66
Stats: 160/<145/141
WOE: IF Combo - 6:1 & 16/8ish
Start Date: Oct 2012
IF = Intermittent Fasting
route66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:56 AM   #24
Junior LCF Member

Sharkbait, I don't disagree but 1800 should be a pretty big calorie deficit for me and I *was* losing weight steadily eating like this but then I stopped losting even though the macronutrient breakdown hasn't changed. :/

I will look into calorie cycling and intermittent fasting. Thanks for the info.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:49 AM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKSL55 View Post
What's the difference? NK and dietary ketosis are just alternative names for the same thing. Not to be confused with diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA).

--
Phillip
You can eat a ketogenic diet and not have the blood ketone levels necessary to get the benefits of Nutritional Ketosis, ie. keto adapted enough for endurance type sports.

*My interpretation of the difference.*
Old 02-08-2013, 04:46 PM   #26
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LarlaB
Stats: 5' 11" ~ 168/141/148
WOE: LCHF & Training for a Marathon
Start Date: August 13, 2012
As I've upped my mileage in training for a marathon (long run currently at 15 miles- and holding as I'm nursing a hip issue) it has screwed up my otherwise steady weight-loss. I've lost about 1lb in 6 weeks- and mostly its just bouncing around.

I cannot get a handle on it- just when I think I've figured out what it takes, I throw another long run and everything goes wonky. Granted, I"m working on vanity pounds (only 3-4 left)- there seems to be a thresh-hold where exercise seems to completely stall weight loss.

I get that over time I'm building muscle. I get that sore muscles are retaining fluid. I know that as I get closer to goal the weight loss is slower. But I"ve also ready countless tales of folks gaining when training. My current theory is that the big training days triggers 'starvation mode' even though, in theory, in ketosis, it shouldn't.....I may have to huge of a calorie deficit those days

Just by the numbers, I'm maintaining the same deficit I've always had, and the same macros/percentages- but this is one of those time that weightloss just doesn't work like math/science says it should!!!!

And "the art & science of LC performance" hasn't been terribly helpful on this issue....
LarlaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:00 PM   #27
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarlaB View Post
As I've upped my mileage in training for a marathon (long run currently at 15 miles- and holding as I'm nursing a hip issue) it has screwed up my otherwise steady weight-loss. I've lost about 1lb in 6 weeks- and mostly its just bouncing around.

I cannot get a handle on it- just when I think I've figured out what it takes, I throw another long run and everything goes wonky. Granted, I"m working on vanity pounds (only 3-4 left)- there seems to be a thresh-hold where exercise seems to completely stall weight loss.

I get that over time I'm building muscle. I get that sore muscles are retaining fluid. I know that as I get closer to goal the weight loss is slower. But I"ve also ready countless tales of folks gaining when training. My current theory is that the big training days triggers 'starvation mode' even though, in theory, in ketosis, it shouldn't.....I may have to huge of a calorie deficit those days

Just by the numbers, I'm maintaining the same deficit I've always had, and the same macros/percentages- but this is one of those time that weightloss just doesn't work like math/science says it should!!!!

And "the art & science of LC performance" hasn't been terribly helpful on this issue....
I am sorry that you are struggling to get those last few lbs. off. I am an expert on stymied weight loss and know first hand, how frustrating it can be, but I wanted to comment that your story is a perfect example of how irrational calories in/calories out is.

You may want to research adrenal fatigue. I think there are some reasonable hypotheses there and possible solutions.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:47 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarlaB View Post

This is a classic example of someone who is exercising for the purpose of losing weight, which in theory should work if you believe this: "to lose weight you have to burn more calories than you take in."

Sorry LarlaB, don't mean to pick on you, but your post is a good example of where I used to be.

The problem is that if you are exercise for vanity reasons (ie. burning off the fat) you are shooting yourself in the foot. Because it doesn't work, especially in the long term. You can lose some fat yes, but not all of it. This is why:

It takes a long time to burn off fat. Not months, years. Most people have a lot more body fat on them then they realize. Usually people think they have 10 extra pounds but it is more like 20+. It is easy to overeat, difficult to burn off the extra calories. The more you exercise, the more your body becomes very efficient at burning calories. If you do it enough, you eventually make your body so efficient at burning calories that you burn almost the same amount as a person who doesn't exercise. READ THAT AGAIN. The more you do it, the more you bring your metabolism closer to that of someone who doesn't exercise. If you are not keto-adapted, your body will start using fat to fuel your workouts, however if you are not, when you run out of glucose your body WILL ASK FOR MORE. If you can resist those urges great, because they are pretty strong, I never could.

I had to drill this into my head to finally get it. And I have a pretty thick head so it took awhile. It is finally when I got this, that I stopped exercising like a crazy person to try to lose weight, and now when I go out its more for fun and less for the purpose of losing weight.

So why am I not out training for a marathon when I still need to shed a few pounds? Because now I know I can do it through diet, without having to spend time away from my family and doing things like gardening, cooking etc. ie. things that bring better rewards. It is just so much easier and better to do it through diet because the diet does the work for you. It takes so much less effort.

Right now I do about 1 hour of exercise a day and that includes strength training, and some days I don't even do that. And the best thing about it, is that I don't even care if I take a day off. Where as when I was into the "exercise to burn off fat" mode I would be plagued by guilt when I missed a day. I would think about the fat that I was either not losing or packing on as a consequence of not exercising.

But that is just me, I like to take the easy road not the hard road
Old 02-09-2013, 08:53 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlocarb View Post
You can eat a ketogenic diet and not have the blood ketone levels necessary to get the benefits of Nutritional Ketosis, ie. keto adapted enough for endurance type sports.

*My interpretation of the difference.*
The two terms you seemed to be drawing a distinction between were "nutritional ketosis" and "dietary ketosis". I agree that eating a ketogenic diet is no guarantee of being in ketosis.

--
Phillip
Old 02-09-2013, 11:24 AM   #30
Junior LCF Member

Punkin - great post. Thanks!

Yes, I gained weight exercising like crazy and keeping a food journal while training for my first ironman. I was like what the heck body???

I think the HUGE advantage of being a keto-adapted endurance athlete is not bonking. But as far as losing weight, the amount of training I do is counterproductive. I know this. But I still want to lose weight and do the sports I enjoy. So frustrating. grrr