Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 06:23 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kayellr
Stats: 5'5" 195/171/135
WOE: LCHF/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: 1/29/2013
Depression and ketosis (in a good way!)

I started doing a high fat/low carb diet to get into ketosis partly because of evidence that ketosis helps beat depression. (weight loss was of course another motivator) Amazingly, I can tell after only 9 days that the depression that has been horrible for months is rapidly lifting. It had been so bad that I couldn't motivate myself to walk around the block for several months. (ugh)

Suddenly the energy is coming back (the weight is shedding to, but that's almost just a side benefit at this point) and first I walked around the block 2 days ago, and yesterday went to do it again and walked a mile. This may sound minor, but coming back from nothing it's huge!

Has anyone else here decided to go to ketosis to cope with depression or found mood elevation as a side effect of ketosis?

The article I read re depression and ketosis is Your Brain On Ketones | Psychology Today
kayellr is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2013, 07:32 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jenericstewart
Stats: 293+/177/173; 5'6", 53 yrs
WOE: JUDDD / CAD
Start Date: 6/7/12
Long story, but that's how I stumbled upon lowering my carb intake, and thus, started my dieting journey last year. I've struggled with depression almost all of my life. Going from eating very little protein to just a moderate level, I noticed my mood change. I'm not swinging from tree limbs in glee, but I'm not half as down as I used to be. The mood change had nothing to do with losing weight either, by the way (long story).

I splurged on Sunday dinner (only) when eating out with friends. Yesterday, I was terribly down and moody. Today, I'm doing a bit better. I keep a continual food diary, and this was the first time I noticed such a mood change. I'm thinking that might be because my TOM might have lined up just so. Typically, I end up with a monster headache following a splurge.

These splurges are looking less and less tempting. One of these days I will learn. lol

Thanks for the link. I will study it shortly.

Last edited by jenericstewart; 02-05-2013 at 07:42 AM..
jenericstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:43 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: janetsbreeze
Stats: 197/186.6/130; 5'2"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 19, 2011
Isn't it wonderful?

I'm bipolar, so I've struggled with both the highs and lows, and eating a ketogenic diet definitely has helped me feel more like myself. I'm still taking meds, but at almost a third of the doseage I was on with my drs blessing.
janetsbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:14 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: anglgrl
Stats: 231/135/130
WOE: HF/LC Paleo
Start Date: Mid Sept. 2011
I have pretty severe depression problems too and keto has helped me a lot. I'm not all better or anything but I am better than I used to be.
anglgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:23 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Going wheat-free and LC (and now NK) helped me
reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote