Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 06:23 PM   #151
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
Vaccines get me. I am afeered of um.

Years ago I had the sweetest lil dashound pup. Light brown with big ole wrinkled up skin and ears that hung to the floor. I took him to the vet for his last set of puppy shots. He Got Parvo within a few days. There was a dog in the vets office running around that had parvo, I found out right before we left that morning. Well my lil doggy didn't make it.
Since then I buy all my dogs shots from the Tractor Supply and administer them myself. The Vets hate it. (I save a ton of money) They always argue with me and tell me the shots are worthless.
But none of my dogs since have gotten sick.
I do get rabies shots at the vet but not until they get the whole series of puppy shots at home.
I know that is different from my kid, well, my dogs are my kids too

Darin, That video had some good points about nutrition and immunity for college kids. Mercola even said stay away from sugar. Thanks
Ah that is so sad Cheryl

Yeah, it was interesting huh.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2013, 02:50 AM   #152
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
weigh in was still 161,

but I have lost 3 more inches
Old 02-07-2013, 05:07 AM   #153
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Well a sad day!. Got go home and leave this great place it was a great vacation!!!fly out at 3 today,I will try to post pic when I get back home!!
Old 02-07-2013, 06:02 AM   #154
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: erinisme
Stats: 180/180/140
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 12/12/2012
Up 2 lbs today. I know it's just water or whatever but that wasn't any fun. Should ha r stayed off scale.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:07 AM   #155
Blabbermouth!!!

Weigh-in Feb 07, 2013

Weigh-in this morning ... 204.7 hooray! heh.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:08 AM   #156
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
weigh in was still 161,

Congrats!!!

I'll take inches over scale any day
Old 02-07-2013, 07:09 AM   #157
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinisme View Post
Up 2 lbs today. I know it's just water or whatever but that wasn't any fun. Should ha r stayed off scale.
I feel your pain hang in there!
Old 02-07-2013, 07:09 AM   #158
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
Well a sad day!. Got go home and leave this great place it was a great vacation!!!fly out at 3 today,I will try to post pic when I get back home!!
I hope you took lots of pics Becky! Have a safe flight
Old 02-07-2013, 07:31 AM   #159
Blabbermouth!!!

Everyone uses their cell to take pics right? I do. In fact, every morning I grab a quick shot of the scale so I don't have to write it down or try to remember it later. And it is a great way to have a history right at hand since I always have my phone with me.

Usually I don't rename the pic, because that is such a pain in the butt on the phone, so they are all IMG000.jpg or whatever.

When I copy them over to my computer I have a zillion IMG000.jpg which is not super helpful when looking over them if I want to see last weeks pic or one from last month. They are in a big pile of almost identically named files.

Worse than that is that the default when copying a file, in Linux and Windows, is that the file's date and time stamp is set to whatever the date is when you copy the file. So you cannot sort them by creation date because they all have the same creation date once they are copied.

Enter a nifty little utility called jhead. jhead works on windows and linux. It is a command line program but super simple to use. jhead can rename the files in one swoop using the embedded exif information to set the file name to the date/time it was taken. It also has limited formatting options to make the new date/time based file names appear as you like or in a way that will make it easier to use a bulk renaming program to really customize the names later.

Exif Jpeg header manipulation tool

There is another program that I have not used called ExifTool. It is also a command line utility but another person created a gui for it called ExifToolGUI. I'm sure it is a fine program if you need a graphic interface.

ExifToolGUI

And finally, once you have your files renamed to something manageable and recognizable you can use a bulk renaming program to further demystify the file names.

Bulk Rename Utility Introduction - Bulk Rename Utility

I have used this one before, years ago, and it is an excellent tool. The user interface, in my opinion, leaves a lot to be desired and for a novice it can be a bit of a steep learning curve. As I recall, once I knew the exact thing I wanted to do it was simple to ignore the rest of the zillion things the program can do.

What is possible with this program, after you've massaged the pic's file name with one of the other tools, is to use the bulk renamer to group your photos. Like you can tell it to rename all files that start with '02' to 'Feb'. Very cool.

Make a copy of a dozen of your pics and then use the copies to practice with the tools before zapping all of your photos at once.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:48 AM   #160
Blabbermouth!!!

Oh! Of course you can avoid some of the pain right off the bat by transferring the photos using a copy tool that keeps the original date/time stamp. That would allow you to sort the pics by date created.

For windows it looks like RoboCopy is the tool to use.

For Ubuntu you just use the cp command with the -p option.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:36 AM   #161
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deb34
Quote:
Originally Posted by clairie View Post
found it!!

here it is quoted from this link:

Eat Fat, Grow Thin

"This reminds me of an experiment that I did many years ago when I had patients on a low carbo diet, all of whom were taking insulin and they all wanted to gain weight. So I gave them extra fat in the form of olive oil to the tune of a shot glass in the morning and a shot glass in the afternoon. This was 3 ounces of extra calories, which boiled down to 900 extra calories a day. Over the course of 6 months not one of four patients gained a pound. So giving fat on a low carbo diet will not make you fat. You will metabolize it. It’s been proven subsequently. On a low carbo diet you metabolize your fat, rather than store it."

made me want to eat butter to my heart's content!! alas... I think I am not as lucky as these people and would put weight on!
I think this could be true in my case. I'm eating at least 1000 calories a day as Coconut oil and Cod Liver Oil. I was dropping fat slowly and NOT gaining except for my stupid Superbowl Sunday binge of popcorn, chips and chocolate. I immediately gained 4 pounds of water weight that has taken me 4 days to lose, doing a fat fast of between 1000 - 1500 calories for the last four days. It was the carbs that added weight but it wasn't actually fat that I gained it was the water that comes with the glycogen load in the muscles and liver from the carbs. So for me, fat is not the variable that makes me fat, it's definitely the carbs.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:01 AM   #162
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I know the feeling.
Me and my scale have a love hate relationship.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:12 AM   #163
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post

horrah!!
Old 02-07-2013, 09:41 AM   #164
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Quote:
Everyone uses their cell to take pics right? I do.
Sorry...had to laugh over this one. I don't even own a cellphone!!!!!!
Old 02-07-2013, 09:43 AM   #165
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Becky, I'm so glad you had such a fabulous time that you hate to leave. That's the best type of trip/vacation!!! We'll be glad to have you back though!

Quote:
So sorry......you know that many of us have been on that same yo yo scale, many times. Have you done measurements of a tape style instead of a scale???

Quote:
weigh in was still 161,

Wow.....3 inches is fabulous!!!!! Good going!!!!!
Old 02-07-2013, 09:49 AM   #166
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/154/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Quote:
weigh in was still 161,

Woo hoo! That must feel great.

Quote:
Too bad it has to end. Sounds like an awesome trip.

Quote:
I hate seeing a gain like that first thing in the morning. It tends to color my whole day. I try to remember that there are going to be a certain number of days where the scale is up a bit and it's just as important to get through those as the lower weight days. It would be awesome if we could somehow now which days to get on the scale and which days to steer clear.

Quote:

You broke through! Yay!

I'm down a tiny bit today to 187.6. I managed to get a few more calories in yesterday (1238) but still feeling a little bleh. For some reason, though, I feel HUNGRY right now, though. And I'm not wanting to. I'm drinking a coffee with HWC, so hopefully that'll do it.

Here's yesterdays macros: 103.86 fat 4.41 carb 57.85 protein

A tiny bit low on the protein, but probably close enough. I discovered mascarpone cheese last night (was it this thread where I saw it mentioned?). Well, it's great because it is like 100% fat but it doesn't have a fatty mouthfeel at all. I had 4 tablespoons with some eZsweets and cinnamon and it made a great snack.

Today I can't track my macros bc I got a got a starbucks coffee and they poured the HWC. I brought my own the other day and that was just a pita. I wish there was an easy way to know how much I was getting when they put it in.

ckd support group thread

gynema thread

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb, intermittent fasting
I have walked 162 miles since April 1.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:50 AM   #167
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
[Shelley's camera]

Old 02-07-2013, 09:52 AM   #168
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
Well Lawrd Shelly, how in the world do you survive?
I was ashamed to admit all I have is one of those lil cheap tracfones
Old 02-07-2013, 09:53 AM   #169
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
[Shelley's camera]

Old 02-07-2013, 09:58 AM   #170
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post
I'm down a tiny bit today to 187.6. I managed to get a few more calories in yesterday (1238) but still feeling a little bleh. For some reason, though, I feel HUNGRY right now, though. And I'm not wanting to. I'm drinking a coffee with HWC, so hopefully that'll do it.

A tiny bit low on the protein, but probably close enough. I discovered mascarpone cheese last night (was it this thread where I saw it mentioned?). Well, it's great because it is like 100% fat but it doesn't have a fatty mouthfeel at all. I had 4 tablespoons with some eZsweets and cinnamon and it made a great snack.

Today I can't track my macros bc I got a got a starbucks coffee and they poured the HWC. I brought my own the other day and that was just a pita. I wish there was an easy way to know how much I was getting when they put it in.
Congrats, Your doing great!!
Just guess the best ya can. It was probably a tbsp or at the most 2 I bet. HWC goes along way. Did it taste similar to the way it did when you added your own?
I just estimate at things when I can't be certain
Old 02-07-2013, 09:59 AM   #171
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post

I believe mizzcase is the mascarpone fiend around here. Seems like she mentioned it in last month's thread. I keep forgetting to look for it when I am at the store.

You could ask for a specific amount. Like 1oz or whatever. Those baristas want to make you happy unless it is a sucky location with bad management. I'm just guessing they'd do it. They should have jiggers so it should be easy to grab one and measure the amount rather than just pour it in.

I remember about 15 years ago I was telling someone that Subway puts too much mustard on my subs. That person said, oh! just tell them '3 lines' or '4 lines' or however many lines of the condiment you want them to draw across the sub. heh Eureka! Never had an over saturated mustard sub again. You mayo eaters need mustard application remedial training from my experience.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:32 AM   #172
Major LCF Poster!

speaking of mayo training
I tried to make some with light olive oil
That was nasty. What kinda oil do you use?
Has anyone tried MCT oil?
Is that gross?
Mom made some with wesson oil and it was great but I wanna stay away from vegetable oils.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:38 AM   #173
Blabbermouth!!!

Try bacon grease Cheryl. I still haven't done it but it is on the list of things to try.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:45 AM   #174
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Try bacon grease Cheryl. I still haven't done it but it is on the list of things to try.
Well you read my mind. I was just googling that. I didn't know if you could use a solid fat but I found a recipe.
Gonna try that tonite.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:59 AM   #175
Blabbermouth!!!

I think Shelley mentioned it a few months ago. She has a recipe
Old 02-07-2013, 03:13 PM   #176
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
[Shelley's camera]

I didn't see you coming into my closet to take a photo of my camera!!! And you didn't even say hi!!!!
Old 02-07-2013, 03:17 PM   #177
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Here ya go Cheryl....Bacon grease mayo (I have not made it yet either!)

Ingredients
Makes: 2 cups

5 egg yolks
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
7 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1¼ cups rendered bacon fat
½ teaspoon fine sea salt
Freshly ground Tellicherry black pepper to taste

I haven't done MCT oil mayo, but I did really like the EXTRA virgin olive oil may recipe that I made a long time ago. I also have a macadamia nut mayo someone posted somewhere:

1 large egg yolk
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon white vinegar
3/4 cup macadamia nut oil (or avocado oil)

These aren't my recipes and I haven't tried them, so I can't give anyone credit, but they are not mine...just want to make sure that people know I'm not taking credit. I'm not even sure they came from this site...I had them in my LC recipe folder. Let us know if you try one and what you think, okay?!
Old 02-07-2013, 04:43 PM   #178
Major LCF Poster!

Thank You shelley. I was gonna ask you to post it.
Hope it works, I only have a cheep lil 2 speed food processor
Old 02-07-2013, 04:54 PM   #179
Major LCF Poster!

Todays Numbers

Calories 1771

Fat 145 78%
Pro 77 18%
carb 16 4%