Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 10:45 AM   #121
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
My new avatar is Lady Cora on the series Downton Abbey. A group of us are watching the show and having a lot of fun with the characters.

My lab tests show the other minerals in the right balance, and I always tell them the supplements I am taking. Just the sodium keeps coming in too low. Not sure what they will do if this test on Friday comes back low as well.
Man everyone is talking about Downtown Abbey!
Must be a great show?????????

Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2013, 11:39 AM   #122
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 9/3/2012
Cheryl, it is a GREAT show, if you have a chance, go back and watch from the beginning, it is now in seaon 3. Love it!
Old 02-05-2013, 11:59 AM   #123
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/154/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
My new avatar is Lady Cora on the series Downton Abbey. A group of us are watching the show and having a lot of fun with the characters.
I am so hooked on Downton Abbey! And I love the avatars. Cheryl, if you haven't watched any of it yet, I'm jealous. I love having several seasons of a great show lined up to watch straight through. I did that with the first three seasons of The Wire and I remember waiting for season four was painful. I hate having to wait for the next episode or season!
Old 02-05-2013, 02:52 PM   #124
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
O my I went snorking for the first time.it was awesome .i learned the last five min.how to use the mouth pc. O my It was a sight to see all those fish,the water on the way over was very choppie, tommorrow off to the rain forest.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:09 PM   #125
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
O my I went snorking for the first time.it was awesome .i learned the last five min.how to use the mouth pc. O my It was a sight to see all those fish,the water on the way over was very choppie, tommorrow off to the rain forest.
And tonight another one of those tasty drinks heh
Old 02-05-2013, 03:13 PM   #126
Blabbermouth!!!

Food log - Feb 05, 2013

Numbers and log for today.

Calories: 2,178

Fat: 189
Pro: 114
Car: 9

77/22/2

Breakfast: Black coffee and CO.
Lunch: Eggs, sausage and cheese.
Dinner: Chicken, sour cream, pickles.
Snack: HWC float.
End of day: 1oz CO.

I missed drinking plain black coffee so I left off the HWC. Man that is good stuff.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:20 PM   #127
Major LCF Poster!

Numbers for today

Calories 1848

Fat 151 73%
Pro 99 21%
carbs 30 6%

I can tell eating the peanuts this weekend messed me up.
When my carbs are higher my appetite comes back.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:58 PM   #128
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: clairie
Stats: 175/168/140
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: 9/12
Thanks everyone for the encouragement!

I should do measurements, it is something I've never really done and should. Thanks for the idea.
I increased the calories really only in the fats area- carbs and protein were about the same. I remember Taubes in a Youtube interview saying that the fat won't put weight on. Also - Bernstein had patients of his that needed to gain weight. he gave them 900 extra calories of fat a day to put weight on them and it didn't work. Increasing the protein was what actually worked!
From these two I think I had in my head I can eat all the HWC and butter and coconut oil I want to without gaining.
Could be so many reasons why I gained, and I agree- I didn't eat 2500 calories a day more. I ate maybe 500 a day more.
It's most likely water. Also my TOM so that can certainly put weight on !!!
I'll keep at it and try to remember that my main reason for doing this is my blood sugars are so great when I do. being a type 1 it is SO hard to keep blood sugars stable. This is really the only thing that works long term for me.

have a great night, you are all so awesome for writing and being leaders in my NK world!
Old 02-05-2013, 05:18 PM   #129
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairie View Post
Thanks everyone for the encouragement!

I should do measurements, it is something I've never really done and should. Thanks for the idea.
I increased the calories really only in the fats area- carbs and protein were about the same. I remember Taubes in a Youtube interview saying that the fat won't put weight on. Also - Bernstein had patients of his that needed to gain weight. he gave them 900 extra calories of fat a day to put weight on them and it didn't work. Increasing the protein was what actually worked!
From these two I think I had in my head I can eat all the HWC and butter and coconut oil I want to without gaining.
Could be so many reasons why I gained, and I agree- I didn't eat 2500 calories a day more. I ate maybe 500 a day more.
It's most likely water. Also my TOM so that can certainly put weight on !!!
I'll keep at it and try to remember that my main reason for doing this is my blood sugars are so great when I do. being a type 1 it is SO hard to keep blood sugars stable. This is really the only thing that works long term for me.

have a great night, you are all so awesome for writing and being leaders in my NK world!
Humm thats pretty interesting about gaining weight with protein but the fat didn't cause a gain.
I will have to hunt that video.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:30 PM   #130
Junior LCF Member

Cheryl,

that was out of Dr Bernstein's book Diabetes Solution. He also mentioned it in one of his teleseminars. I can try and find an archive for you.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:36 PM   #131
Junior LCF Member

found it!!

here it is quoted from this link:

Eat Fat, Grow Thin

"This reminds me of an experiment that I did many years ago when I had patients on a low carbo diet, all of whom were taking insulin and they all wanted to gain weight. So I gave them extra fat in the form of olive oil to the tune of a shot glass in the morning and a shot glass in the afternoon. This was 3 ounces of extra calories, which boiled down to 900 extra calories a day. Over the course of 6 months not one of four patients gained a pound. So giving fat on a low carbo diet will not make you fat. You will metabolize it. It’s been proven subsequently. On a low carbo diet you metabolize your fat, rather than store it."

made me want to eat butter to my heart's content!! alas... I think I am not as lucky as these people and would put weight on!
Old 02-05-2013, 05:41 PM   #132
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
found it!!

Eat Fat, Grow Thin

"This reminds me of an experiment that I did many years ago when I had patients on a low carbo diet, all of whom were taking insulin and they all wanted to gain weight. So I gave them extra fat in the form of olive oil to the tune of a shot glass in the morning and a shot glass in the afternoon. This was 3 ounces of extra calories, which boiled down to 900 extra calories a day. Over the course of 6 months not one of four patients gained a pound. So giving fat on a low carbo diet will not make you fat. You will metabolize it. It’s been proven subsequently. On a low carbo diet you metabolize your fat, rather than store it."

made me want to eat butter to my heart's content!! alas... I think I am not as lucky as these people and would put weight on!

Ha ha, me either. I have NO Problem gaining weight!

Thanks for finding that!
Old 02-05-2013, 05:43 PM   #133
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post
Soooo... I could hardly believe the scale this morning: 188.0!
heh Congrats!!

Maybe there was something added to the meat patties? Does their web site show 100% beef for the nutrition for the patties by themselves? Was that In&Out?
Old 02-05-2013, 06:47 PM   #134
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
found it!!

Eat Fat, Grow Thin

Very interesting. Thanks for linking it Clairie.

There are a few things that strike me about his claim. It was only 4 people. They were all outpatients. They were all taking insulin meds. They were all low carbers. I wonder what their daily calorie intake was? ~1000 calories is a lot of calories to choke down if you are already eating at maintenance levels. I wonder if they didn't consume less of their normal daily calories as a result of the olive oil cocktail? I wonder what their macros looked like.

But the really strange thing is his apparent claim that fat is essentially a zero calorie food if you are low carb.

I wonder if the 4 participants experienced Ally-like symptoms? That is, they simply didn't metabolize the fat at all.

Last edited by reddarin; 02-05-2013 at 06:49 PM..
Old 02-05-2013, 07:23 PM   #135
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/154/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Maybe there was something added to the meat patties? Does their web site show 100% beef for the nutrition for the patties by themselves? Was that In&Out?
Yes, 100% beef for the patties. This is what their site says:

Double-Double®Burger Bun, 2 100% pure beef patties, lettuce, tomato, spread, 2 slices of American cheese, with or without onions.

I'm thinking it must've been in the sauteed onions, since that's the only thing not described. Did I mention the cheese was gross? lol But I don't think it could've been in the cheese bc the cheese was included in their carb count. I'm thinking onions weren't since you could get it with or without, and especially not sauteed.

In a way I'm just as happy to have them off limits. Right now I am eating so little food that I shouldn't have any of it be of questionable value, kwim? If my calories are going to be low, I want them all to count. Plus, that American cheese was just foul! How did I ever like that stuff???

ckd support group thread

gynema thread

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb, intermittent fasting
I have walked 162 miles since April 1.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:23 PM   #136
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Quote:
Ah, right after I posted I figured it must be about the super bowl. Unless I'm around someone that is a big fan I don't watch it. Well, I'll watch it if the Cowboys are playing but I'm still miffed at the way things ended with Tom Landry, not to mention Jimmy Johnson.
Amen! Tom Landry was the best...been a bit downhill for a while now. DH is fan, old teams more than newer ones! But I am a Saints fan by birth, so we now how to party while losing! But the past few years have been dee-light-ful!
Old 02-05-2013, 07:31 PM   #137
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinisme View Post
Hello! Been lurking a coupla weeks, lost about ten lbs in dec, then couldn't seem to move until I read he nk board and lowered my protein raised my fat and voila!
Today I decided to try logging, last week I made stock out of the remnants of a spiral ham. This stuff is so fatty it's solid at room temp, but I can't find any stats online I'd agree with. Anywho, just guessing at my dinner's weight, I am WAy below in calories and a little low on protein. Without counting my delicious stock. Any ideas? And I'm so full there is no way I could eat.
Welcome! Reminds me to get that ham bone out! Forgot it in the freezer.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:37 PM   #138
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie75 View Post
This was my first day! It was a bit trickier than I thought-guess I know basic low carb so well, this is a bit more challenging, but I'm not complaining, just LEARNING!
My goals were:
Calories 1900-2000 -actually had 1743
Fat goal 205-got in 122
Carbs goal under 50, but unfortunately ate 52
Protein goal was 95-close at 98

My goal weight is 140, am I correct in those goals? I definitely want to cut back on the carbs and raise the fat. Made some fat bombs, so that might help tomorrow.
Hi Annie, Welcome!
Old 02-05-2013, 07:39 PM   #139
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
Morning all got to tell you about my trip !!went kayaking on the luminescent bay!what a life time experiment it was ,to watch the glowing fish jumb out of the water,,,there are only 5 of them in the world and 2 are the biggest and here I set on one of them ill never forget this!today we will be going. Mini boat island hopping/snorting.what a great vacation! I no I've gained little weight but its been worth it!!got this new drink I love it made with rum,brown sugar,mint leaf grounded ,lime and sprite.yummy
Sounds wonderful Becky! We are loving your BeckyBlog!
Old 02-06-2013, 06:08 AM   #140
Blabbermouth!!!

Weigh-in Feb 06, 2013

Weigh-in this morning ... 206.1. Down a tad but essentially the same the last 3 days or so.

Hmmm. Is it calories or insulin sensitivity to the protein level I am at? I need to review my food log from September and October. I was looking at a spreadsheet I was keeping back then and I was hitting about 1.0g/kg protein. That sheet is very handy as a concise reference to daily macros and trailing weigh-ins so I am going to start recording that info again.

Onward!
Old 02-06-2013, 06:12 AM   #141
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post
Right now I am eating so little food that
Protein is insulinogenic. Perhaps the reaction was more about how little you've been eating the last few days? Even eating normally with very low carbs some of your protein will be converted to glucose.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:36 AM   #142
Major LCF Poster!

Do you guys know how safe the Meningitis vaccine is?
My kids had check ups today and the Dr wants DD17 to have it.
I gave them specific instructions not to allow the Dr to give them any vaccines so the Dr will be calling me tomorrow to discuss it. (big eyeroll)
Dr said she would have to have it to go to college.

To explain my eye roll, the nurse was a real BUTT a few yrs back when my fiance (now my hubby) took them to get a Tdap. She would not give them the shot even thogh she had spoken to me on the phone an hour before the appt, to determine which shot and what they were coming in for, because my fiance took them. My mom had to turn around and take them back.

Last edited by Clueless; 02-06-2013 at 10:51 AM..
Old 02-06-2013, 01:38 PM   #143
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
Do you guys know how safe the Meningitis vaccine is?
My kids had check ups today and the Dr wants DD17 to have it.
I gave them specific instructions not to allow the Dr to give them any vaccines so the Dr will be calling me tomorrow to discuss it. (big eyeroll)
Dr said she would have to have it to go to college.

To explain my eye roll, the nurse was a real BUTT a few yrs back when my fiance (now my hubby) took them to get a Tdap. She would not give them the shot even thogh she had spoken to me on the phone an hour before the appt, to determine which shot and what they were coming in for, because my fiance took them. My mom had to turn around and take them back.
Seems to be a safe vaccine but an unnecessary one Cheryl.

Google 'Perhaps One of the Most Unnecessary Vaccines Ever'. There is a 20 minute video about this vaccine.

And NC's state web site says it isn't mandatory. But maybe the school can require it?

NC DPH, WCH: Immunization: Family: Vaccines: Meningococcal Disease
Quote:
North Carolina Requirements
Meningococcal vaccination is not required in North Carolina.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:52 PM   #144
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Seems to be a safe vaccine but an unnecessary one Cheryl.

Google 'Perhaps One of the Most Unnecessary Vaccines Ever'. There is a 20 minute video about this vaccine.

And NC's state web site says it isn't mandatory. But maybe the school can require it?

NC DPH, WCH: Immunization: Family: Vaccines: Meningococcal Disease
Ahhh thanks Red!!
She is already in early college high school (thanks Al and Tipper Gore .
So she has another year before she will be looking to transfer to College.
Of Course, The Nurse wants to make out like it is somewhat urgent.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:12 PM   #145
Blabbermouth!!!

Food log - Feb 06, 2013

Numbers and log for today.

Calories: 1,883

Fat: 154
Pro: 108
Car: 18

73/24/3

Breakfast: Coffee and CO.
Lunch: Eggs, sausage, cheese.
Dinner: Chicken, tomato, sour cream.
Snack: Pickles.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:12 PM   #146
Blabbermouth!!!

I'm curious as to ct's take on that vaccine.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:16 PM   #147
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I'm curious as to ct's take on that vaccine.
Me too, hope she will weigh in
Old 02-06-2013, 04:28 PM   #148
Blabbermouth!!!

Here is another peek at my extension for my food logging site with a before and after screenshot. Food font is black, alternate color rows and the text box with aggregated information is shown. I was going to make the rows on the table drag and drop rearrangeable but the site restores the original order whenever the page is refreshed which is whenever a change is saved.

Attached Images
File Type: png FDExtenstionDisabledExamplePic5.png (55.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: png FDExtenstionExamplePic4.png (56.1 KB, 3 views)
Old 02-06-2013, 05:46 PM   #149
Major LCF Poster!

Today

1757 Calories

Fat 125 70%
Pro 106 26%
carb 15 4%
Old 02-06-2013, 06:20 PM   #150
Major LCF Poster!

Vaccines get me. I am afeered of um.

Years ago I had the sweetest lil dashound pup. Light brown with big ole wrinkled up skin and ears that hung to the floor. I took him to the vet for his last set of puppy shots. He Got Parvo within a few days. There was a dog in the vets office running around that had parvo, I found out right before we left that morning. Well my lil doggy didn't make it.
Since then I buy all my dogs shots from the Tractor Supply and administer them myself. The Vets hate it. (I save a ton of money) They always argue with me and tell me the shots are worthless.
But none of my dogs since have gotten sick.
I do get rabies shots at the vet but not until they get the whole series of puppy shots at home.
I know that is different from my kid, well, my dogs are my kids too

Darin, That video had some good points about nutrition and immunity for college kids. Mercola even said stay away from sugar. Thanks
Closed Thread