Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 07:35 PM   #91
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: erinisme
Stats: 180/170/140
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 12/12/2012
Thanks guys. Have got to love ya'll. about the broth the white fat that forms off the top is really not that much. Maybe it is just the marrow and bones that make it like gelatin. I had pt roast at my moms and ate all the delicious fatty parts. But didn't measure it and I can't eyeball volume at all. And I kept going back for some more. Even in the 90s when I ate lo fat I could never resist the fat and skin off meat. I can gross out my family by eating the fat off a pork chop. Anyone else like that before this WOE? Esp as a kid before the whole low fat thing hit. My husband won't eat chicken skin and tries to tell the kids not to, but theyhave taste buds and no preconceived notions about it so they eat it. Without the broth I hit 1600 calories, if I guessed right on the pot roast, 90g of protein, (I think my number was closer to 110, though my first calculation was 70.... My goal is around 150 so, since that is the example everywhere I think I'm close. Well I'll let this end here getting kinda long.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2013, 07:56 PM   #92
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by erinisme View Post
Thanks guys. Have got to love ya'll. about the broth the white fat that forms off the top is really not that much. Maybe it is just the marrow and bones that make it like gelatin. I had pt roast at my moms and ate all the delicious fatty parts. But didn't measure it and I can't eyeball volume at all. And I kept going back for some more. Even in the 90s when I ate lo fat I could never resist the fat and skin off meat. I can gross out my family by eating the fat off a pork chop. Anyone else like that before this WOE? Esp as a kid before the whole low fat thing hit. My husband won't eat chicken skin and tries to tell the kids not to, but theyhave taste buds and no preconceived notions about it so they eat it. Without the broth I hit 1600 calories, if I guessed right on the pot roast, 90g of protein, (I think my number was closer to 110, though my first calculation was 70.... My goal is around 150 so, since that is the example everywhere I think I'm close. Well I'll let this end here getting kinda long.
If the fat is browned real good on pork it is so tasty! I really love pork chops though.

Your husband isn't doing LC with you? It can be tough when the other half isn't participating.

heh, I picked 150 for the example because I'd seen it as a goal several times on different posts
Old 02-04-2013, 09:16 PM   #93
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Annie75
WOE: Low carb
This was my first day! It was a bit trickier than I thought-guess I know basic low carb so well, this is a bit more challenging, but I'm not complaining, just LEARNING!
My goals were:
Calories 1900-2000 -actually had 1743
Fat goal 205-got in 122
Carbs goal under 50, but unfortunately ate 52
Protein goal was 95-close at 98

My goal weight is 140, am I correct in those goals? I definitely want to cut back on the carbs and raise the fat. Made some fat bombs, so that might help tomorrow.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:16 AM   #94
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Morning all got to tell you about my trip !!went kayaking on the luminescent bay!what a life time experiment it was ,to watch the glowing fish jumb out of the water,,,there are only 5 of them in the world and 2 are the biggest and here I set on one of them ill never forget this!today we will be going. Mini boat island hopping/snorting.what a great vacation! I no I've gained little weight but its been worth it!!got this new drink I love it made with rum,brown sugar,mint leaf grounded ,lime and sprite.yummy
Old 02-05-2013, 04:23 AM   #95
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Quote:
Lord I was scared to death of fat . The other day I was frying up some goodies in bacon grease. My DD said "Man if old Mom came in and found New Mom cooking in butter and bacon grease, she would have a heart attack."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie75 View Post
This was my first day! It was a bit trickier than I thought-guess I know basic low carb so well, this is a bit more challenging, but I'm not complaining, just LEARNING!
My goals were:
Fat goal 205-got in 122

My goal weight is 140, am I correct in those goals? I definitely want to cut back on the carbs and raise the fat. Made some fat bombs, so that might help tomorrow.
Welcome!!!
Congrats on your first day!!

I was at 161 this am, at least the number went down
Old 02-05-2013, 04:25 AM   #96
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
Morning all got to tell you about my trip !!went kayaking on the luminescent bay!what a life time experiment it was ,to watch the glowing fish jumb out of the water,,,there are only 5 of them in the world and 2 are the biggest and here I set on one of them ill never forget this!today we will be going. Mini boat island hopping/snorting.what a great vacation! I no I've gained little weight but its been worth it!!got this new drink I love it made with rum,brown sugar,mint leaf grounded ,lime and sprite.yummy
WOW Becky!!
That is so cool!
Sounds like your having the time of your life.
Have fun today. Thanks for keeping us informed. Can't wait to see pictures!
Old 02-05-2013, 04:27 AM   #97
Major LCF Poster!

Buffy
Missing you!

Rubidoux, Hope your feeling better! Do you have some vitamin C
CT has me addicted to the stuff.

CT, Miss ya!
Old 02-05-2013, 06:34 AM   #98
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Cheryl!! How's weather there!!
Old 02-05-2013, 06:50 AM   #99
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Thanks Cheryl!! How's weather there!!
Cold and yucky
But it is supposed to get to the 50's today
hasn't even gotten close to that in a while. It was 18 Sat morning.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:05 AM   #100
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
My goals were:
Fat goal 205-got in 122

Hi Annie and welcome to our thread

It is a bit of a transition in thinking for NK. Total carbs instead of net carbs. A nominal 50g ceiling instead of some sort of carb ladder. Moderate protein with an established goal to eat daily.

Your numbers look okay but your fat grams are really determined by your calorie goal rather than a nominal calorie ceiling. And fat grams aren't really a goal so much as a filler (which is a cool double entendre). Like so: 95g protein is ~400 calories. 40g carb is 160 calories. 560 calories from 1900 calorie goal is 1340 calories left which will be fat and that is about 150g fat.

See? You were shooting for 1900 to 2000 but your fat gram goal reflects the 35kCal number rather than the ~1900 number.

Get your protein in, limit total carbs and eat to satiety with fat but keep an eye on calories so you don't go too low, which is very easy with NK, because very low calories result in bad things and is counter productive to weight loss.

Something else to keep an eye on is caloric deficit. It needs to be enough to lose weight but not too much to annoy the body and it is a moving window as your weight goes down.

If you are making those fat bombs with CO and you aren't acclimated to eating a lot of CO then go easy or you'll regret it heh.

Do you take medication for your diabetes?
Old 02-05-2013, 08:07 AM   #101
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
You are having so much fun Becky! It sounds wonderful!

I really love your posts too. It is like getting cool postcards every day heh
Old 02-05-2013, 08:09 AM   #102
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
Lord I was scared to death of fat . The other day I was frying up some goodies in bacon grease. My DD said "Man if old Mom came in and found New Mom cooking in butter and bacon grease, she would have a heart attack."

I was at 161 this am, at least the number went down
Mmmmm bacon grease heh.

Congrats on the downward movement!
Old 02-05-2013, 08:28 AM   #103
Blabbermouth!!!

Weigh-in Feb 05, 2013

Weigh-in this morning...206.4 so up point 1. Looks like the easy to lose weight is gone from my excursion into dark territory. I tape measured myself this morning too. It was a heart fluttering 42.5 lol. So all the weight I put on was around my belly because it was 38.5. I'm gonna resume regular measuring again every few days or every week.

Onward!
Old 02-05-2013, 08:31 AM   #104
Major LCF Poster!

Were Buffy??
Old 02-05-2013, 08:44 AM   #105
Blabbermouth!!!

She's been missing in action for a week or so Becky
Old 02-05-2013, 08:45 AM   #106
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: clairie
Stats: 175/168/140
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: 9/12
Feeling discouraged... I have been upping my fat a little lately to not go below 1300 in calories and I have gained 5 pounds in a week. I was pretty strict about being at 1300 for a couple months, but after reading about lbm and I've been working out a little more, I upped the fat thinking "can't gain eating fat, right Gary Taubes?" Well, I sure did!!

Heading back to the lower cal for a week to confirm my hypothesis. I may be one of those women who have other issues and need the lower calories to lose despite the makeup of the macros.
NK is wonderful for my diabetes, however! (type 1) so I will continue to be doing this.. just thought I'd share today instead of lurk
Old 02-05-2013, 08:50 AM   #107
Major LCF Poster!

Wow hope she is ok
Old 02-05-2013, 08:51 AM   #108
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Just poking my head in to say Hello!
Still on the mend, have another Dr. appt. on Friday. BP is doing good but my new meds are still making me very tired and drained. Also, my sodium is testing too low and Dr. wants to recheck that Friday.

I have been off NK. I plan on coming back to it possibly when I get through all this but now, I just am concentrating on getting well. I upped my carbs on purpose to see if I had more energy eating more carbs. Not really sure as I am getting better slowly, but it is so slow that maybe it is just time healing me and not the difference in how I am eating. And, also I wanted to see if the LC was responsible for the low sodium. But, last night I went back and looked at lab tests for the last 2 1/2 years and my sodium has been borderline all of that time, just now slipped to below recommended amounts, so, I just do not know.

Anyway, I do pop in and keep up with all of you and am rooting for you all to succeed and feel good and reach your goals.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:01 AM   #109
Major LCF Poster!

Hope all well the best for you please keep us posted when you can we love and care lots about you
Old 02-05-2013, 09:34 AM   #110
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deb34
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post
Darin, Congrats on turning things around. I hope you wizz right past that 205 in the next day or two.

I've actually been able to manage my nausea and other weirdness fairly well the last day or two. Yesterday I was sitting in starbucks studying and felt like I was just crawling out of my skin with energy. Like maybe it would be a good idea to just get up and sprint as fast as I could around the block. And I had NO appetite at all all day. But I split my protein requirement in two and had half (6 ounces of salmon) at 5 pm and the other half (more salmon) at 10 pm. I did feel like I had to force it down a bit, but it didn't make me feel sick. I'm wondering if this is going to just be how it is with me on NK or if my body will adapt a bit.

I realized, too, that this exact scenario happened when I was losing weight in 2011 (the only time I've ever been able to lose). I was eating a very fatty diet with only 2 g of carb a day, not counting my protein, but I don't think it was too much about 80 or so grams. I didn't know anything about NK at the time. But about 2 1/2 to 3 months into it I got to the point that the sight of my food made me feel sick. I had no appetite and TONS of energy. And I ended up going off the diet bc I felt like I literally could not eat. So, I started eating off the diet, and then face planted in carbs and that was the end of that. But at the time I didn't realize there was something chemical going on. I thought I just couldn't stand to eat another cheeseburger.

I'm feeling good about this realization because now I feel like I understand a little more what happened there. I wasn't just a big loser who couldn't stick to a diet, iykwim. And it makes me think I need to and probably can work through this. I hope! Pretty sure I can though.
I'm feeling I don't want to eat right now either. I'm only 3 weeks into this (clean) but the last few days I couldn't bear to eat much.

Then I went and did a very stupid thing. I ate popcorn, chips and chocolate on Sunday, that's it. Didn't eat any real food at all. I'm doing a fat fast the last 2 days to try to dump the water weight I gained but still don't feel like eating anything. Getting in the 1000 calories of fat is really hard....I will force myself to have cream cheese and tuna salad for lunch but I really really don't want it.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:09 AM   #111
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairie View Post
Feeling discouraged... I have been upping my fat a little lately to not go below 1300 in calories and I have gained 5 pounds in a week. I was pretty strict about being at 1300 for a couple months, but after reading about lbm and I've been working out a little more, I upped the fat thinking "can't gain eating fat, right Gary Taubes?" Well, I sure did!!

Heading back to the lower cal for a week to confirm my hypothesis. I may be one of those women who have other issues and need the lower calories to lose despite the makeup of the macros.
NK is wonderful for my diabetes, however! (type 1) so I will continue to be doing this.. just thought I'd share today instead of lurk
Don't be discouraged Clairie. We are all test subjects of ourselves. Tweaking something doesn't mean failure it means finding out what doesn't work.

Did Taubes say you cannot gain weight eating fat?

You increased your calories by how much a day? 200? 500? If you gained 5 pounds of fat in a week you had to have over consumed by 2500 calories a day all week long. Did you use a tape measure before and after your venture into more calories?

A little more working out probably means some extra retained water and a little recovery of LBM could account for the rest.

But diabetes is probably the biggest variable here. I know Phinney has said that it can be a real challenge for a diabetic to balance everything and lose weight.

Either way, hang in there Clarie
Old 02-05-2013, 10:15 AM   #112
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

Are you taking measurements?
I know 5 lbs feels terrible but it could be fluid too.
Don't get me wrong I get a aggrivated when I show a gain, but sometimes it isn't fat.
Are you doing anything else different, like exercise?
Did you go up to 1500 calories with fat or more? Did that make any difference in the way you feel?
1300 cal is low. You may show a gain for a while, but you could also start to lose after your body adjusts.
Also If you lost LBM some of tha may be returning.
How are you feeling??

Last edited by Clueless; 02-05-2013 at 10:16 AM..
Old 02-05-2013, 10:19 AM   #113
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Still on the mend, have another Dr. appt. on Friday. BP is doing good but my new meds are still making me very tired and drained. Also, my sodium is testing too low and Dr. wants to recheck that Friday.

I have been off NK. I plan on coming back to it possibly when I get through all this but now, I just am concentrating on getting well. I upped my carbs on purpose to see if I had more energy eating more carbs. Not really sure as I am getting better slowly, but it is so slow that maybe it is just time healing me and not the difference in how I am eating. And, also I wanted to see if the LC was responsible for the low sodium. But, last night I went back and looked at lab tests for the last 2 1/2 years and my sodium has been borderline all of that time, just now slipped to below recommended amounts, so, I just do not know.

Anyway, I do pop in and keep up with all of you and am rooting for you all to succeed and feel good and reach your goals.
so glad to hear from you Buffy. Didn't recognize you for a second there. New avatar and all. Hope your recovery is a speedy one.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:19 AM   #114
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:

Hi Buffy!

Sometimes it takes a long time to get BP meds right. My dad's wife went through a lot of that several years ago.

Does the lab test thing show other mineral/vitamin levels? Magnesium, vitamin D et. al.? Low sodium can sure make you feel bad.

Get better! Now!

Is your new avatar a pic of you? Because I'm thinking, here is a woman that would send her husband to the store for butter and not tell him not to get the 1 pound chunk size.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:31 AM   #115
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb34 View Post
I'm feeling I don't want to eat right now either. I'm only 3 weeks into this (clean) but the last few days I couldn't bear to eat much.

Then I went and did a very stupid thing. I ate popcorn, chips and chocolate on Sunday, that's it. Didn't eat any real food at all. I'm doing a fat fast the last 2 days to try to dump the water weight I gained but still don't feel like eating anything. Getting in the 1000 calories of fat is really hard....I will force myself to have cream cheese and tuna salad for lunch but I really really don't want it.
You were probably distraught about the Cowboys horrible performance the last few decades.

The good news is that your backslide on Sunday should only take three or four days to recover from NK-wise.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:40 AM   #116
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
You were probably distraught about the Cowboys horrible performance the last few decades.The good news is that your backslide on Sunday should only take three or four days to recover from NK-wise.

yeah, that's it. Since I have no other excuse, I'll take that one. I have a pounding headache too which serves me right. What was I thinking????
Old 02-05-2013, 10:49 AM   #117
Blabbermouth!!!

I reckon a low pressure zone moved into the DFW area last night cause I woke up with a heck of a headache too.

Scowl at mizzcase. That made me feel better yesterday.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:50 AM   #118
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Quote:
Even in the 90s when I ate lo fat I could never resist the fat and skin off meat. I can gross out my family by eating the fat off a pork chop. Anyone else like that before this WOE? Esp as a kid before the whole low fat thing hit. My husband won't eat chicken skin and tries to tell the kids not to, but theyhave taste buds and no preconceived notions about it so they eat it.
Ya know, in the 90s I did all the low fat stuff and would be so proud of myself to be under like ten grams of fat a day. But somehow I could never muster the fear of fat that it seems like so many other people had/have. It has always been painful to watch my husband butter toast or put cream cheese on a bagel. Ugh. We lived in Brooklyn for a few years and we'd get these amazing bagels that were huge and probably about 300 g of carb a piece and then he'd kill himself to get no more than about a teaspoon of cream cheese on the bagel. And even now that he has mostly seen the low carb light (he eats a giant bowl of almonds/walnuts/macadamias for b'fast every morning but then he puts a big handful of raisins in there, gah!), when he butters toast for the kids you can't even tell it's been buttered. I get kerrygold and I'd do anything to get some of it into my picky eaters, and he squanders the opportunity. And yes, skin and fat! Yum!

Quote:
My goals were:
Fat goal 205-got in 122

Welcome! I hope you have an easy transition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
Rubidoux, Hope your feeling better! Do you have some vitamin C
CT has me addicted to the stuff.
Ya know, my husband ran out and got me some and it had carbs. I should pick some up, though. I'm feeling a lot better now. The only sign of illness left is that my eyes hurt, especially when I'm trying to look far to the side, like when changing lanes. I kinda hate that feeling. But it's nice to be sitting upright and be out in the world.

Quote:

That sounds so frustrating. I have, in the past, thought I had to limit calories, but I'm hoping I was wrong. Right now I seem to be in losing mode, but I am pretty low on calories. Yesterday I think was around a thousand and the day before I didn't eat at all. But I'm going to try to up my cals as soon as I can stand the thought of eating. I think I will do better today than the last couple... I'm really hoping they don't have to be restricted!

I really think that taking insulin makes weight loss so hard. And I have always found that the better controlled my b/s is, the harder to lose. NK is about the only thing that has ever worked for me at all. And my b/s has been almost perfect since I got back to eating this way.

Quote:

I'm sorry you're feeling crappy and I hope you and/or the docs figure it out soon. It sucks not knowing what the best course is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb34 View Post

I think it was about three weeks in for me that I start feeling all . I think it's probably been a bit more than a week and now I'm starting to feel it less. It's still there, but not as strong. In a way though, I am worried about the nausea completely clearing up because I feel like it goes hand in hand with appetite suppression and, frankly, I'm a little scared of my appetite. It sure would be nice to still not want to eat so much, but feel like I can eat. But I fear that if I can eat, I WILL EAT.

Have you tried egg creams? Very yummy and, I think, a good way to get some fat and protein in. I normally use four eggs (for 24 g pro) and up to 1/4 HWC, 1 or 2 T of CO, and it goes down pretty easy. There're a bunch of threads with "recipes" in the recipe section here. But really you can throw anything in. If you want more or less protein, just go up or down on eggs. It tastes the same to me no matter how many I put in, though I haven't gone over five.

Soooo... I could hardly believe the scale this morning: 188.0!!! That's just crazy, but obviously it helps to have not eaten from being sick. I was sure I'd go up if I ate anything at all yesterday (which I did, but not so much only 1003 calories, and low on protein, too, only 39 g). I am bracing myself for a little bounce up tomorrow because I have high hopes of eating like a normal (NK) person today.

I have to warn you all of something I learned yesterday. Protein style double doubles are the devil! I got one with no lettuce, tomato or sauce, but I did get sauteed onions (do you think they coat them w sugar?). The online nutritional info said they had 11 carbs (w the tomato and sauce), so I was thinking it would be between 5 and 7, since all I had was 2 patties, 2 slices of american cheese (although I peeled one mostly off because it was really too processed-yucky, iykwim, I am normally not so sensitive to that but since I've been eating so cleanly, I have become moreso, I guess) and the onions, and I even scraped half the onions off, there weren't many. Well, my blood sugar went higher than it has in ages and I had a hard time bringing it down. I ended up having to do six units of insulin to cover that d*mned burger, which is like nearly half of what I normally take in a day, way more than I'd need for two patties w cheddar and onions cooked at home. I'm kind of bummed bc it was an easy way for me to get fed and make my kids happy and soak some time up between school and karate. I may have to just pack myself a snack next time.

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb
once a day feeding
Old 02-05-2013, 11:10 AM   #119
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post
I think it was about three weeks in for me that I start feeling all . I think it's probably been a bit more than a week and now I'm starting to feel it less. It's still there, but not as strong. In a way though, I am worried about the nausea completely clearing up because I feel like it goes hand in hand with appetite suppression and, frankly, I'm a little scared of my appetite. It sure would be nice to still not want to eat so much, but feel like I can eat. But I fear that if I can eat, I WILL EAT.

Have you tried egg creams? Very yummy and, I think, a good way to get some fat and protein in. I normally use four eggs (for 24 g pro) and up to 1/4 HWC, 1 or 2 T of CO, and it goes down pretty easy. There're a bunch of threads with "recipes" in the recipe section here. But really you can throw anything in. If you want more or less protein, just go up or down on eggs. It tastes the same to me no matter how many I put in, though I haven't gone over five.
thanks about the egg cream reminder, I could do that easily, just never thought of it. I can do six in a pinch, I guess this qualifies as a pinch right?
Old 02-05-2013, 11:41 AM   #120
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
My new avatar is Lady Cora on the series Downton Abbey. A group of us are watching the show and having a lot of fun with the characters.

My lab tests show the other minerals in the right balance, and I always tell them the supplements I am taking. Just the sodium keeps coming in too low. Not sure what they will do if this test on Friday comes back low as well.
Closed Thread