Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2013, 07:50 AM   #1141
Senior LCF Member
 
Mumasatus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 250
Gallery: Mumasatus
Stats: 171/153/130
WOE: VLC/MP/HF
Goolash, when I had a pain like you are describing, it was a kidney infection. I ended up in the hospital for several days on IV antibiotics.

No one could hate going to the doctor more than I do, but it does sound like you should at least go to rule that out.

I got plenty of lectures about how my stubbornness almost caused permenant damage.
Mumasatus is offline  

Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2013, 07:51 AM   #1142
Senior LCF Member
 
dasschus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 208
Gallery: dasschus
Stats: 250/195/145
WOE: HFLC/nutritional ketosis
Start Date: February 2013
Today is the last day of my fat fast. In 4 days I've lost 4.8 pounds. I'm pretty darn happy with that!

I did take one bite of jalape˝o bacon last night which wasn't on my menu. Oh dear lord, it was so good my head tingled a little. Lol I can't wait for bacon and eggs tomorrow. With sour cream and a little cheese. Drool.

Kelly
dasschus is offline  
Old 02-28-2013, 07:53 AM   #1143
Blabbermouth!!!
 
reddarin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,452
Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Weigh-in Feb 28, 2013

Weigh-in this morning ... 201.9 lol big bounce which I attribute to ticking off the scale god for talking about my steady downward trend yesterday. It makes me wonder. Every time I do a post about losing or giving advice to someone else about how to proceed, my own next morning's weigh-in is never far from my mind. Does the the act of conscientiously attempting to lose weight make feckless cowards of us all? Is superstition the molten plastic to weight-loss injection molding? Are we all the young Henry Fleming until maintenance or big sustained losses whereupon we transition to the brave standard-bearer? What is the sound of one hand clapping?
reddarin is offline  
Old 02-28-2013, 07:57 AM   #1144
Senior LCF Member
 
dasschus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 208
Gallery: dasschus
Stats: 250/195/145
WOE: HFLC/nutritional ketosis
Start Date: February 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Weigh-in this morning ... 201.9 lol big bounce which I attribute to ticking off the scale god for talking about my steady downward trend yesterday. It makes me wonder. Every time I do a post about losing or giving advice to someone else about how to proceed, my own next morning's weigh-in is never far from my mind. Does the the act of conscientiously attempting to lose weight make feckless cowards of us all? Is superstition the molten plastic to weight-loss injection molding? Are we all the young Henry Fleming until maintenance or big sustained losses whereupon we transition to the brave standard-bearer? What is the sound of one hand clapping?
That is so strange that you say that! Every time I make a post in FB about weight loss progress I gain the next day. Bad ju-ju.
dasschus is offline  
Old 02-28-2013, 08:30 AM   #1145
Blabbermouth!!!
 
reddarin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,452
Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolash View Post
Well, i'm mad/sad/frustrated, cant understand how i am up 2 lbs... i need to be losing not gaining! What should i do to tweak? Or should i just keep going like this for now? r
*I* am up about 2 pounds this morning. I'm going to do exactly what I have been doing.

Everyone at LCF empathizes with these scale bounces, me included heh.

You've got to internalize the fact that the trend over time is what matters. Not a day or two or whatever.

You read my post yesterday, right? I've been averaging about 2400 calories and I've been steadily trending down. I weigh about 200 pounds and I am losing weight eating 2400 calories. You weigh about 325 pounds. How exactly do you believe that *you* are gaining weight when you weigh 125 pounds more than me, are far more active than me and you are eating 500 calories more than me?

Everyone, and I mean everyone, knows that muscle burns calories. Right? Well, fat burns calories too. Just not as much. And your hundred extra pounds is not 100% fat. Your body has extra muscle mass to support the extra weight.

I see it a lot on the LCF forums. People intellectually know that LC works but they do not buy-in on why it works. It becomes a superficial black box of LC voodoo. They trust it until there is a problem and then reasoning flies out the window or off the rooftop like the watermelons of Dave's earlier, and funnier, days.

As an aside, the 2 pounds you are annoyed about could be symptomatic of the pain you are having this morning. Stress, like that pain, usually results in a flood of cortisol, the stay fat hormone, which also does all sorts of hinky things to your metabolism. It makes sense because before there is pain there are the factors leading up to the pain. If you do have a kidney infection it probably has been brewing for a while. If a major organ, particularly the kidneys or liver, is distressed it will have a huge, if acute, impact on weight loss/gain. It could be your gallbladder too.

I don't think waiting to see if you keel over dead because of a ruptured spleen or whatever is a good plan of action Myles.

You could have pulled something in a recent workout.

It could be something that is very easy to address right now that will be mortal later.
reddarin is offline  
Old 02-28-2013, 08:32 AM   #1146
Blabbermouth!!!
 
reddarin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,452
Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasschus View Post
That is so strange that you say that! Every time I make a post in FB about weight loss progress I gain the next day. Bad ju-ju.
lol right?!?

Scale I am shaking my fist at you
reddarin is offline  
Old 02-28-2013, 08:38 AM   #1147
Senior LCF Member
 
Myles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 394
Gallery: Myles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumasatus View Post
Goolash, when I had a pain like you are describing, it was a kidney infection. I ended up in the hospital for several days on IV antibiotics.

No one could hate going to the doctor more than I do, but it does sound like you should at least go to rule that out.

I got plenty of lectures about how my stubbornness almost caused permenant damage.
I was talking to a friend who had some kidney issues and he said the kidney pain can be felt from the front to the back of your body, this is definitely only in my back and i can actually feel where it hurts when i touch or rub my back with my hand. Pretty sure its muscular. I'll see how i fare over the day
Myles is offline  
Old 02-28-2013, 08:43 AM   #1148
Senior LCF Member
 
Myles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 394
Gallery: Myles
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
*I* am up about 2 pounds this morning. I'm going to do exactly what I have been doing.

Everyone at LCF empathizes with these scale bounces, me included heh.

You've got to internalize the fact that the trend over time is what matters. Not a day or two or whatever.

You read my post yesterday, right? I've been averaging about 2400 calories and I've been steadily trending down. I weigh about 200 pounds and I am losing weight eating 2400 calories. You weigh about 325 pounds. How exactly do you believe that *you* are gaining weight when you weigh 125 pounds more than me, are far more active than me and you are eating 500 calories more than me?

Everyone, and I mean everyone, knows that muscle burns calories. Right? Well, fat burns calories too. Just not as much. And your hundred extra pounds is not 100% fat. Your body has extra muscle mass to support the extra weight.

I see it a lot on the LCF forums. People intellectually know that LC works but they do not buy-in on why it works. It becomes a superficial black box of LC voodoo. They trust it until there is a problem and then reasoning flies out the window or off the rooftop like the watermelons of Dave's earlier, and funnier, days.

As an aside, the 2 pounds you are annoyed about could be symptomatic of the pain you are having this morning. Stress, like that pain, usually results in a flood of cortisol, the stay fat hormone, which also does all sorts of hinky things to your metabolism. It makes sense because before there is pain there are the factors leading up to the pain. If you do have a kidney infection it probably has been brewing for a while. If a major organ, particularly the kidneys or liver, is distressed it will have a huge, if acute, impact on weight loss/gain. It could be your gallbladder too.

I don't think waiting to see if you keel over dead because of a ruptured spleen or whatever is a good plan of action Myles.

You could have pulled something in a recent workout.

It could be something that is very easy to address right now that will be mortal later.
I did read your post

Alright, let me make it clear that while i am being a b1tch about it - i will and am sticking too this for now. And hopefully i will see some weight loss..eventually. I've stayed active on here and i'll keep posting my daily tracking results. I guess part of the frustration is that i havent lost some weight and then stalled, i just havent lost any weight... and dangit im fat as hell i should be losing some weight! - I've always lost weight doing LC before, why not this time? Why are you being a jerk body! :P

I noticed you ask someone else about sleep. I dont get more than 6 hours a night but thats enough for me. Maybe i need to start locking my cat out of my room and trying for 7-8.

im 99% sure its just muscle and not organ tho as far as the pain i am in

Last edited by Myles; 02-28-2013 at 08:44 AM..
Myles is offline  
Old 02-28-2013, 09:02 AM   #1149
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 124
Gallery: Bernsy
WOE: Atkins/Gary Taubes
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolash View Post
i bought the book just now. Wonder where i can get these shirataki noodles in canada, i have never seen them
Hi Goolash, I'm in Toronto and I find Shiritaki noodles at some health food stores in the refrigerator section and also T&T Grocery store carries them.
Bernsy is offline  
Old 02-28-2013, 09:07 AM   #1150
Senior LCF Member
 
Myles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 394
Gallery: Myles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernsy View Post
Hi Goolash, I'm in Toronto and I find Shiritaki noodles at some health food stores in the refrigerator section and also T&T Grocery store carries them.
woo hoo, asian grocery stores! I will check the Luckys here, and maybe they'll have pork rinds also!
Myles is offline  
Old 02-28-2013, 09:25 AM   #1151
Senior LCF Member
 
Mumasatus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 250
Gallery: Mumasatus
Stats: 171/153/130
WOE: VLC/MP/HF
My pain was only in my back. I kept putting a heating pad on it because it felt muscular.
Mumasatus is offline  
Old 02-28-2013, 09:30 AM   #1152
Senior LCF Member
 
Myles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 394
Gallery: Myles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumasatus View Post
My pain was only in my back. I kept putting a heating pad on it because it felt muscular.
I'm keeping an eye on it and if its not improved by tonight/tmrw ill call the doc tmrw
Myles is offline  
Old 02-28-2013, 10:08 AM   #1153
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Lincoln NE
Posts: 11
Gallery: AprilMarshall
Stats: 200/125/115
WOE: HighFat/ModPro/LowCarb
Start Date: 02/27/2013
Hi Everyone, I have kindof been lurking around this site, and finally signed up today.. I am not really good with forums yet, I am so out of the technology loop BUT, I really wanted to be part of a group that does the high fat/low carb for some added support.

I weighed about 200 lbs after having gained 80 with my last child (born in October of 2009).. I did WW and lost 50 of it. Then Atkins and lost about 15 more. In July of 2012 I started HCG injections and got down to 116, then I sabotaged myself and pigged out on sugars and starches in P3 and gained ALL of the weight plus some back. I did another round of HCG in January and got down to 125 which I have pretty much stayed at by doing Atkins.
I have noticed though, my body LOVES fat, not so much protein and DISLIKES carbs very much! So I researched and read Barry Groves books and this is a WOL I can stay with!
SO , up until yesterday I have been limiting my carbs to 60/day and packing in the protein while staying under 1600 calories.
THEN, yesterday I thought, well, I will give the high fat WOL a chance.. I ate 2200 calories 74% being from fat and 6% being from carbs. I was SO scared to step on my scale this morning.. but to my surprise, I was actually down about half a pound!
So, I think I have found what I have been desperately searching for...
Just thought I would introduce myself before lurking more on your forums.
Thank you!
AprilMarshall is offline  
Old 02-28-2013, 10:30 AM   #1154
Senior LCF Member
 
dasschus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 208
Gallery: dasschus
Stats: 250/195/145
WOE: HFLC/nutritional ketosis
Start Date: February 2013
This is SO good!
2 oz cream cheese at room temp
2 tsp lemon juice
4 drops liquid sucralose
Mix and eat. Like cheesecake.
Heaven


Kelly
dasschus is offline  
Old 02-28-2013, 10:31 AM   #1155
Senior LCF Member
 
dasschus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 208
Gallery: dasschus
Stats: 250/195/145
WOE: HFLC/nutritional ketosis
Start Date: February 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilMarshall View Post
Hi Everyone, I have kindof been lurking around this site, and finally signed up today.. I am not really good with forums yet, I am so out of the technology loop BUT, I really wanted to be part of a group that does the high fat/low carb for some added support.

I weighed about 200 lbs after having gained 80 with my last child (born in October of 2009).. I did WW and lost 50 of it. Then Atkins and lost about 15 more. In July of 2012 I started HCG injections and got down to 116, then I sabotaged myself and pigged out on sugars and starches in P3 and gained ALL of the weight plus some back. I did another round of HCG in January and got down to 125 which I have pretty much stayed at by doing Atkins.
I have noticed though, my body LOVES fat, not so much protein and DISLIKES carbs very much! So I researched and read Barry Groves books and this is a WOL I can stay with!
SO , up until yesterday I have been limiting my carbs to 60/day and packing in the protein while staying under 1600 calories.
THEN, yesterday I thought, well, I will give the high fat WOL a chance.. I ate 2200 calories 74% being from fat and 6% being from carbs. I was SO scared to step on my scale this morning.. but to my surprise, I was actually down about half a pound!
So, I think I have found what I have been desperately searching for...
Just thought I would introduce myself before lurking more on your forums.
Thank you!
Awesome! And welcome! I'm new here too.

Kelly
dasschus is offline  
Old 02-28-2013, 10:43 AM   #1156
Senior LCF Member
 
Deb34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 518
Gallery: Deb34
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzcase View Post
I should add, I was so excited to eat that sausage that when I went to grab the pan out of the oven, I forgot to put on an oven mitt. Yep, palm should be completely blistered by tomorrow.
Ohhhh! you poor thing...
Deb34 is offline  
Old 02-28-2013, 10:55 AM   #1157
Blabbermouth!!!
 
reddarin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,452
Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Hi April Welcome to our thread
reddarin is offline  
Old 02-28-2013, 10:56 AM   #1158
Senior LCF Member
 
Myles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 394
Gallery: Myles
Welcome April!
Myles is offline  
Old 02-28-2013, 10:58 AM   #1159
Blabbermouth!!!
 
reddarin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,452
Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasschus View Post
This is SO good!
2 oz cream cheese at room temp
2 tsp lemon juice
4 drops liquid sucralose
Mix and eat. Like cheesecake.
Heaven


Kelly
Hmmm. That sounds really good. I love the taste of lemon as an ingredient to stuff.
reddarin is offline  
Old 02-28-2013, 11:08 AM   #1160
Senior LCF Member
 
Myles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 394
Gallery: Myles
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasschus View Post
This is SO good!
2 oz cream cheese at room temp
2 tsp lemon juice
4 drops liquid sucralose
Mix and eat. Like cheesecake.
Heaven


Kelly
I did that but instead of sucralose i had powdered splenda, and instead of lemon juice i used pumpkin spice and extra cinnamon, and i would eat it with a sugar free jello...well thats what im having tonight now lol!
Myles is offline  
Old 02-28-2013, 11:41 AM   #1161
Major LCF Poster!
 
rubidoux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: san diego
Posts: 1,464
Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
ETA: Wow! Just posted this and had no idea it was so long. I guess I needed to get it out. Please feel free to skim liberally.

____________________________________

Well, you guys, my blood tests turned out super crappy.

I was expecting my LDL to be high and very worried that it would be way higher than last time, but it wasn't. It was a little better, went from 146 to 133. So, that is good news.

My HDL has always been very good, sometimes in the 80s. Last time I had it tested it was 60. This time 43!!! WTH????? I didn't expect that at all. I thought I had this super protective HDL that I could count on.

Triglycerides still good, but not nearly as good. They went from 61 to 87. Why???

For some reason I was pretty sure that LDL would get worse and HDL and triglycerides would stay the same or get better. This is completely the opposite of what happened. I am now about 60 days into full on NK, no cheating. So, maybe I need to give it more time? Does anyone know when would be a good time to have it checked in relation to my start date? I feel like I've seen six months somewhere.

And, I was really expecting my a1c to be awesome (that shows a 3 month average of your blood sugar, but is heavily weighted toward the most recent 3 weeks or so, imo, I would expect that after 60 days on NK, the 30 days previous would not make any appreciable impact), and it was not. It was okay but not great. You really want to be under 7, and it's not a linear thing, so 8 is like astronomically higher than 7. Mine was 7.3, which was an improvement over the 7.8 I got last time. So, it's nothing to weep at but still disappointing. I think it is partly bc doing NK, I NEVER have low blood sugars. Lows are terrible in so many ways, bad for your health, bad for your blood sugar control (bc it makes it very hard to control eating and you end up having highs bc you're rebounding), and it makes your life suck, and some people believe it can even cause brain damage over time. Anyhow without those lows to pull downward, the a1c looks higher, kwim? But still I have had much better b/s control than this at times and I thought I was doing better.

And then the from-out-of-left-field freakishly bad news. And I don't really know how bad, since I don't talk to my doctor till monday. I had my first bad kidney functioning test. And I seriously cannot stand that. Like I have to do whatever it takes to change it and right now. Like I don't think I'll be able to sleep until I see better numbers on this. If it were just todays results (which were really only a hair into the "chronic kidney disease" category), I think I would put off my freak out and wait and talk to doc, but I looked back at my previous results (so I have three tests over 3 years) and there is a pattern from better to worse and it's not a slow moving pattern, at least not as slow as I would have thought.

If anyone here knows of anyone out there who has written about NK and chronic kidney disease, please link me! I know that LC can be good for it. Last I knew, the mainstream health care folks believed that there was no way to reverse diabetic kidney disease. But, Dr. Bernstein had what I think he called "advanced kidney disease" that he reversed doing low carb (I have seen his diet referred to as high fat/low carb, but I don't remember him advocating a ton of fat, will have to dig that book out). But I wonder if any of the NK experts have anything to say about it. I know there's that guy who showed that mice on NK reversed their kidney disease on NK, I think. I gotta find that and bring it with me to doc.

Which brings me to another vent... I need to change doctors because I cannot imagine having a reasonable conversation with my doctor about this. He is 100% into the whole statin thing. I think he literally wants for all of his patients to be on it, no matter what their stats. And he's been handing me Rx's for it for years now, which are all piled on my fridge. He says that he thinks low carb would be very healthy except that it is impossible to stick to. And when I told him last time that I was doing HF/MP, he was like "that's great as long as you're eating tons of veggies and whole grains." Ummm...

It's terrible though bc I actual feel some kind of weird loyalty to this guy. I have no idea why. I've been seeing him for like nine years now, and I feel very conflicted about moving on even though I know for sure that diabetes is not his thing, he doesn't spend anywhere near enough time with me (like every answer I get from him is like pulling teeth), and he's not willing to really have a conversation, he's got the answers and he might tell me what they are if I'm lucky, but he's not going to listen to me about it. So, this is clearly a no brainer. I must move on.

Okay, sorry this is so long you guys... Sigh.

And Darin, good grief! You know that bounce was bound to happen. It's the way of the world I think. But I do think you should still consider yourself to be in onederland. I always think of my current weight as being my most recent low weight unless I've eaten off plan. I am currently 184.0, whether the scale said 184.6 this morning or not.
__________________
jayne, type I diabetic and mama to two sweet boys (9/03 and 2/09)

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb
once a day feeding

Last edited by rubidoux; 02-28-2013 at 11:44 AM..
rubidoux is offline  
Old 02-28-2013, 11:41 AM   #1162
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NC
Posts: 1,349
Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilMarshall View Post
Hi Everyone, I have kindof been lurking around this site, and finally signed up today.. I am not really good with forums yet, I am so out of the technology loop BUT, I really wanted to be part of a group that does the high fat/low carb for some added support.

I weighed about 200 lbs after having gained 80 with my last child (born in October of 2009).. I did WW and lost 50 of it. Then Atkins and lost about 15 more. In July of 2012 I started HCG injections and got down to 116, then I sabotaged myself and pigged out on sugars and starches in P3 and gained ALL of the weight plus some back. I did another round of HCG in January and got down to 125 which I have pretty much stayed at by doing Atkins.
I have noticed though, my body LOVES fat, not so much protein and DISLIKES carbs very much! So I researched and read Barry Groves books and this is a WOL I can stay with!
SO , up until yesterday I have been limiting my carbs to 60/day and packing in the protein while staying under 1600 calories.
THEN, yesterday I thought, well, I will give the high fat WOL a chance.. I ate 2200 calories 74% being from fat and 6% being from carbs. I was SO scared to step on my scale this morning.. but to my surprise, I was actually down about half a pound!
So, I think I have found what I have been desperately searching for...
Just thought I would introduce myself before lurking more on your forums.
Thank you!
welcome!
Clueless is offline  
Old 02-28-2013, 11:47 AM   #1163
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NC
Posts: 1,349
Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Jayne,
I am sorry to hear about the kidney test.
Hope you can find some answers and a new doctor.
Clueless is offline  
Old 02-28-2013, 12:28 PM   #1164
Blabbermouth!!!
 
reddarin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,452
Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
We'll have to wait on someone else to speak to the actual test and numbers Jayne. I am not well informed about the details.

But Jimmy Moore has two podcasts with Dr. Dayspring who is a lipidologist. Maybe one or both of them can answer some questions for you?

'The LLVLC Show (Episode 585): Lipidologist Dr. Thomas Dayspring Explains The Truth About Cholesterol'

'ATLCX (Episode 29): Dr. Thomas Dayspring | Cholesterol Testing: What Matters Most?'

As I recall, he talks about triglycerides in both of them too.

He said that total particle count is the real indicator rather than the current HDL/LDL paradigm. He said if you have a high total particle count it doesn't matter much how the particles shake out size-wise because the damage is from the fact that the freight train of bad has so many full cars. I'm probably killing his analogy.

You said yourself that A1C is not linear. Going from 7.8 to 7.3 is not a case of 'a little better' is it? Ignore the impulse to over think it with could haves and would ofs and should ofs. Forgive my ignorance, but isn't a .5% drop using diet alone pretty friggin amazing?

Maybe the bad kidney test was a lab error? You can ask to have it retested.

Find another doctor. It is worth changing doctors. I want my doctor to work with me. This is a partnership not a banana republic with El Jefe wearing a white lab coat instead of a military uniform. It doesn't have to be a big deal. You don't have to march in and give him a piece of your LC mind. Your health is important enough to feel comfortable with the care provider without feeling guilty about wanting someone who is more involved in what is going on with your body.
reddarin is offline  
Old 02-28-2013, 02:21 PM   #1165
Senior LCF Member
 
Deb34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 518
Gallery: Deb34
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Weigh-in this morning ... 201.9 lol big bounce which I attribute to ticking off the scale god for talking about my steady downward trend yesterday. It makes me wonder. Every time I do a post about losing or giving advice to someone else about how to proceed, my own next morning's weigh-in is never far from my mind. Does the the act of conscientiously attempting to lose weight make feckless cowards of us all? Is superstition the molten plastic to weight-loss injection molding? Are we all the young Henry Fleming until maintenance or big sustained losses whereupon we transition to the brave standard-bearer? What is the sound of one hand clapping?
Well, I don't know how this weight loss thing works at all...in the past eight days, I've eaten all my "good" food during the day but at night, I've been allowing myself to eat a bowl of chips (under 30gms of carbs) but still CHIPS?

Every morning i have dropped a few ounces, sometimes almost half a pound and yesterday I had dropped 1.2 pounds. So, I officially don't get it...eating chips every day for 8 days and consistently seeing a drop on the scale...my clothes are a little bit looser as well and my belly isn't sticking out quite so much... so what's going on? I'm even due for that time of the month but so far no PMS, no 5 pound scale gain, no swollen fingers and ankles....maybe I'm turning into a MAN!!!
__________________
"Keep Calm and add Butter" - attributed to Julia Child
Deb34 is offline  
Old 02-28-2013, 02:29 PM   #1166
Senior LCF Member
 
Deb34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 518
Gallery: Deb34
Quote:
gained 80 with my last child (born in October of 2009).. I did WW and lost 50 of it. Then Atkins and lost about 15 more. In July of 2012 I started HCG injections and got down to 116, then I sabotaged myself and pigged out on sugars and starches in P3 and gained ALL of the weight plus some back. I did another round of HCG in January and got down to 125 which I have pretty much stayed at by doing Atkins.
Welcome AM! wow, you lost almost all your excess weight and gained back at least 75 pounds in 6 months? That's an average gain of 12.5 pounds per month? Then you dropped 50 pounds in two months(Jan-Feb 2013?) why are you looking to lose more weight?

I would say that you been pretty successful...don't fix what ain't broke, I say.
Deb34 is offline  
Old 02-28-2013, 02:57 PM   #1167
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Lincoln NE
Posts: 11
Gallery: AprilMarshall
Stats: 200/125/115
WOE: HighFat/ModPro/LowCarb
Start Date: 02/27/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb34 View Post
Welcome AM! wow, you lost almost all your excess weight and gained back at least 75 pounds in 6 months? That's an average gain of 12.5 pounds per month? Then you dropped 50 pounds in two months(Jan-Feb 2013?) why are you looking to lose more weight?

I would say that you been pretty successful...don't fix what ain't broke, I say.
Sorry, I explained that weird, I meant I gained back all of the HCG weight, which was about 20some lbs this last time.. and then lost about 16 of it again in January. My weight has been all over the place since I got pregnant with the last one, hard to keep track anymore. I need a lifestyle that I can stick with

I am pretty much just looking for a lifestyle to lose a little more and then maintain.

Which brings me to a question.. I have read both of Groves books, should I also read Taubes or is it pretty much the same idea?

Edited this, realized I asked a stupid question that I already know the answer, lol.

Last edited by AprilMarshall; 02-28-2013 at 03:06 PM..
AprilMarshall is offline  
Old 02-28-2013, 03:04 PM   #1168
Blabbermouth!!!
 
reddarin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,452
Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb34 View Post
Well, I don't know how this weight loss thing works at all...in the past eight days, I've eaten all my "good" food during the day but at night, I've been allowing myself to eat a bowl of chips (under 30gms of carbs) but still CHIPS?

Every morning i have dropped a few ounces, sometimes almost half a pound and yesterday I had dropped 1.2 pounds. So, I officially don't get it...eating chips every day for 8 days and consistently seeing a drop on the scale...my clothes are a little bit looser as well and my belly isn't sticking out quite so much... so what's going on? I'm even due for that time of the month but so far no PMS, no 5 pound scale gain, no swollen fingers and ankles....
Awesome!!! Congrats!!!
reddarin is offline  
Old 02-28-2013, 03:07 PM   #1169
Blabbermouth!!!
 
reddarin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,452
Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb34 View Post
maybe I'm turning into a MAN!!!
Alright Missy. Let's see if you can pass a simple man test.

You walk into the restroom. There are 5 urinals along one wall. One guy is there and he is at the 3rd urinal.

Which urinal do you use and why?
reddarin is offline  
Old 02-28-2013, 03:08 PM   #1170
Blabbermouth!!!
 
reddarin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,452
Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
I haven't read any of Groves books so I do not know how they compare. Taubes' book is an excellent read though.
reddarin is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:30 PM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends« is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.