Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2013, 05:15 AM   #1051
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
Poison ivy is my nemisis. I am convinced it targets me.
I'm with ya on that. It is like a creepy horror movie where the evil doer is watching you from the wooded area.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2013, 05:18 AM   #1052
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mumasatus
Stats: 171/153/130
WOE: VLC/MP/HF
I'm down again today to 146.6.

I'm hoping we have a better day today. On the way home from community college, my 16 year old son accidentally drove scraping the curb, and blew out the front tire of my suburban.

He didn't know how to change it, so my husband had to come save us which made him late getting the girls to check-in at the rodeo.

When they got there, there was a 2 hour meeting to see if we were disqualified. Fortunately, they realized that we had the ONLY Nigerian Dwarfs in the place and they couldn't have that section of the show with out us.

I need to bring a present to my friend on the sheep and goat committee for advocating for us. Next year, I'm also sending a giant gift basket for a door prize as a thank you for letting them show even though they were late.

I'm home taking care of animals. Hopefully the girls will be putting lots of pictures on Facebook for me to enjoy.

I also got word that Wild Rose, the goat who has been so sick is walking around and drinking water. That's a big improvement.

I'm off in search of coffee. I hope everyone has a wonderful day today.
Happily married to the man of my dreams for 20 years
Old 02-27-2013, 05:19 AM   #1053
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarlaB View Post

I've kind of been stalking you, waiting for you to break out of the 200's Rock it!
Thanks Larla!
Old 02-27-2013, 05:21 AM   #1054
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumasatus View Post

I'm hoping we have a better day today. On the way home from community college, my 16 year old son accidentally drove scraping the curb, and blew out the front tire of my suburban.

He didn't know how to change it, so my husband had to come save us which made him late getting the girls to check-in at the rodeo.

When they got there, there was a 2 hour meeting to see if we were disqualified. Fortunately, they realized that we had the ONLY Nigerian Dwarfs in the place and they couldn't have that section of the show with out us.

I need to bring a present to my friend on the sheep and goat committee for advocating for us. Next year, I'm also sending a giant gift basket for a door prize as a thank you for letting them show even though they were late.

I'm home taking care of animals. Hopefully the girls will be putting lots of pictures on Facebook for me to enjoy.

I also got word that Wild Rose, the goat who has been so sick is walking around and drinking water. That's a big improvement.

Congrats!!!

And what a great turnaround to what could have been a bad day all around!
Old 02-27-2013, 05:23 AM   #1055
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pibble mama
Stats: 289.6/283/175!!
WOE: NK newbie!
Start Date: January 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Congrats!!!

Isn't the full fat version a lot less carby?

Good tip on CO and burns Theresa

From a natural remedy type site:
----
Rubbing coconut oil on burns, including sunburns, can help to prevent blisters, peeling and scarring and will help to soothe the burn.
----
Thanks! I was HAPPY!

CO and ACV are nothing short of miracles! I keep a giant jar of the louannes from wallyworld in my bathroom for conditioner, lotion, everything! I need to start giving it to my dogs....when they run out of mayo!

I would love to have more carbs (GY, more veggies, but heck, i'll take the weight loss ANY day!....oh and red velvet cupcakes )

Oh and I don't want to keep making faux pas...do you prefer Red or Darin?
Old 02-27-2013, 05:25 AM   #1056
Blabbermouth!!!

Either is perfectly fine with me
Old 02-27-2013, 05:31 AM   #1057
Blabbermouth!!!

In my early morning wanderings this morning I managed to stop by two different wal-marts.

The first one, which is actually in an upscale area, did not have any grass-fed butter that I could find. They didn't have Anchor or any shelf space for it but you never can tell about that with WM. The second one in a less upscale area had Anchor both in the salted and unsalted varieties. So I got the unsalted.

Grass-fed butter is real hit or miss at WM apparently.

I also picked up some beef that was marked down to make those PW beef bites uh huh.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:39 AM   #1058
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumasatus View Post

CONGRATS on the loss!

I am so sorry you had the rough day yesterday, but thankfully it all turned out ok! I "liked" the fb page so yes....more photos! I've always said I wanted a place to raise chickens and goats! I wish i had my cousin's old farmstead out in Dripping Springs! 150 Acres and a house from the 1860s! Let us know how the rodeo goes!! I miss this time of year in Texas so much!

Quote:
In my early morning wanderings this morning I managed to stop by two different wal-marts.

The first one, which is actually in an upscale area, did not have any grass-fed butter that I could find. They didn't have Anchor or any shelf space for it but you never can tell about that with WM. The second one in a less upscale area had Anchor both in the salted and unsalted varieties. So I got the unsalted.

Grass-fed butter is real hit or miss at WM apparently.

I also picked up some beef that was marked down to make those PW beef bites uh huh.
isn't it funny how their stock can vary from store to store...and never in the way you expect it to be!

The thing i DON'T like about my job.....if i want to run out and take care of something...like the post office or grocery store....I CAN'T! ugh...i'm tied to my computer way too much! BUT I am THANKFUL to have my dream job otherwise!
Old 02-27-2013, 06:10 AM   #1059
Senior LCF Member

ok, so on my search for protein, chicken breast so far seems to pack the biggest punch! I'm doing egg whites (mainly because i have them....) to take cals down a bit and yet still get in more protein later on when I make lunch/brunch.

I'm putting in food ahead of time to play w number and maximizecals for my protein/fat goals! The fat is the easy part lol

Oh, what are ya'lls thoughts on lc tortillas? I bought some from netrition and ain't gonna lie LOVE them for breakfast burritos! Think they are ok every now and then??

Last edited by pibble mama; 02-27-2013 at 06:12 AM..
Old 02-27-2013, 06:12 AM   #1060
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dasschus
Stats: 250/195/145
WOE: HFLC/nutritional ketosis
Start Date: February 2013
Weight Loss Wednesday

I'm down another 1.1 pounds since yesterday and I'm guessing I'm in Ketosis because I turned a pee stick purple and my mouth tastes like I gargled with tin foil. Yay! My ketosis strips for my meter haven't arrived yet so I haven't been able to test my blood. Fasting glucose at 80.
God help the person I breath on today.

Ugh, how do you deal with the breath?!

Kelly
Old 02-27-2013, 06:24 AM   #1061
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasschus View Post
I'm down another 1.1 pounds since yesterday and I'm guessing I'm in Ketosis because I turned a pee stick purple and my mouth tastes like I gargled with tin foil. Yay! My ketosis strips for my meter haven't arrived yet so I haven't been able to test my blood. Fasting glucose at 80.
God help the person I breath on today.

Ugh, how do you deal with the breath?!

Kelly
awesome loss!
I'm not sure about the metal mouth. I've never experienced that in all of my lc'ing? What is the damage on the strips? I've hears they are NUTSO expensive? Has that gotten better or is it still bad? I ordered a meter but held off on the strips for now...at least till a paycheck comes in!
Old 02-27-2013, 06:28 AM   #1062
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pibble mama View Post
awesome loss!
I'm not sure about the metal mouth. I've never experienced that in all of my lc'ing? What is the damage on the strips? I've hears they are NUTSO expensive? Has that gotten better or is it still bad? I ordered a meter but held off on the strips for now...at least till a paycheck comes in!
Thank you, thank you! I'm pretty excited! That's 3.8 pounds since Sunday. Almost a pound per day.

The strips set me back around $40 and I bought 20. So $2 per strip. I got it from a place in Canada called Universal Drugstore. Their shipping to the US is $7.

I heard you can also find good deals on the strips at eBay but you often have to buy in bulk so you have to be prepared to drop hundreds. I am not prepared for that! Lol

I plan on testing once a day in the morning after the strips arrive. I'm curious to know if I'm in the zone.

Kelly
Old 02-27-2013, 06:29 AM   #1063
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Thank you, thank you! I'm pretty excited! That's 3.8 pounds since Sunday. Almost a pound per day.

The strips set me back around $40 and I bought 20. So $2 per strip. I got it from a place in Canada called Universal Drugstore. Their shipping to the US is $7.

I heard you can also find good deals on the strips at eBay but you often have to buy in bulk so you have to be prepared to drop hundreds. I am not prepared for that! Lol

I plan on testing once a day in the morning after the strips arrive. I'm curious to know if I'm in the zone.

Kelly
Thanks Kelly! I couldn't do the Ebay ones for sure! lol thats crazyness!
Old 02-27-2013, 06:50 AM   #1064
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 20, 2012
Maybe I'm crazy, but I don't test. Blood ketones or urine. Never have and never will. I know when I'm in ketosis, and the biggest indicator is losing weight. I also get metal mouth, etc. But I'm ok with not being positive I'm in ketosis if the scale is going down. And if its not? That just means I need to eat more fat and less carbs (if I get "stalled"--which for me is 2 days of not losing weight, HA!---I'll cut the salads and add more fat)...

I'd MUCH rather spend money on a nice cut of steak than ketosis strips.

Trust your body. Trust your food log. Trust your macros.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:24 AM   #1065
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Myles
Quote:
191g is still within the 1.5-2.0g/kg range for you Myles. The reason to try to hit real close to the same number is to minimize variables while trying to figure out what works with your body.

For example, a day or two ago I actually ate 2.2g/kg! That was the day before my 199.5 weigh-in.

What I do is try to map out the day before hand and then I have a loose guide to go by. I might enter 14oz of chicken for use between lunch and dinner to see where that puts me on protein grams for the day. Then I will know that I need to be closer to 12oz for the day.

If that is too inconvenient, memorize the fact that protein is about 9 grams to an ounce of meat and memorize your protein gram goal. Then you can do back of napkin stuff on the fly and be close to right when you log it afterwards.
Damn Red, don't tell me stuff like that, it will make me want to eat 2.3g/kg LOL!

A good idea about mapping it out, if im able to plan knowing what food i have in the fridge it will make it a lot easier. I noticed since tracking that i tend to graze more during the day then i have WAY too big of a supper. Im trying to change that right now because id like to spread my meals and macros out more evenly throughout the day and eat less of a crazy big dinner.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:24 AM   #1066
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzcase View Post
Hey goolash, try not to sweat it. I was up 1 pound yesterday morning from the day before. Down 4 pounds this morning from yesterday. Fluctuations are normal.
Dang! Congrats Casey!
Old 02-27-2013, 07:31 AM   #1067
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

I hear ya!! I can see using them if in a stall nothing else seems to be working...as a last resort, but who can afford that daily??

Quote:
Originally Posted by goolash View Post
Damn Red, don't tell me stuff like that, it will make me want to eat 2.3g/kg LOL!

A good idea about mapping it out, if im able to plan knowing what food i have in the fridge it will make it a lot easier. I noticed since tracking that i tend to graze more during the day then i have WAY too big of a supper. Im trying to change that right now because id like to spread my meals and macros out more evenly throughout the day and eat less of a crazy big dinner.
I graze too....but trying to get these macros i seem to gorge ALL day lol I'm trying to play with finding more bang for my numbers so i don't feel like i am always shoveling food in.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:35 AM   #1068
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I graze too....but trying to get these macros i seem to gorge ALL day lol I'm trying to play with finding more bang for my numbers so i don't feel like i am always shoveling food in.
IM glad im not the only one that felt that way! Thats what i meant when i said earlier about "forcing" myself to eat. LoL! IF you figure anything out please let me know. I'm really liking the pork rinds because 1 serving of 50g has 270 Calories, 18g fat, 29g protein, then i need something to get the extra fat from like cream in coffee or bacon or something and they're light and fluffy, like eating chips

Last edited by Myles; 02-27-2013 at 07:38 AM..
Old 02-27-2013, 07:39 AM   #1069
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 20, 2012
LOL, its just water weight coming off from eating high carb last week. I don't expect to see that kind of loss again.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:49 AM   #1070
Blabbermouth!!!

Buffy's homemade chicken broth recipe:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
If some of our newbies have missed my broth "recipe?", here it is.

Take a 8 qt souppot, throw in a whole chicken or the parts to equal at least one chicken and fill pan with water. Put in lots of sea salt and pepper. To this I add at least 1/2 lb butter and let it simmer on the stove all day. Simmering slowly will not boil off your water, which you want to keep, if it gets a little low, add some more hot water. Then, dip out all the chicken and bones, pull that meat off and store, I put mine in bags of 4 oz and strain your broth. Put in freezer containers. It is high fat, strong, salty broth.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:59 AM   #1071
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
IM glad im not the only one that felt that way! Thats what i meant when i said earlier about "forcing" myself to eat. LoL! IF you figure anything out please let me know. I'm really liking the pork rinds because 1 serving of 50g has 270 Calories, 18g fat, 29g protein, then i need something to get the extra fat from like cream in coffee or bacon or something and they're light and fluffy, like eating chips
I feel "sick/bleh" from so much food..but hey, it's working! lol...so i don't mind! I LOVE pork rinds...you really want to love them? Dunk them in sour cream...OMGE!

Quote:
LOL, its just water weight coming off from eating high carb last week. I don't expect to see that kind of loss again.
Relish the loss! a loss is a loss! even if it is just water!

Quote:
Buffy's homemade chicken broth recipe:
Thanks for posting this! I take the carcass when i get a roasted chicken and boil it until i get my broth. I forgot that i have some in the freezer!

I am so bummed! I just found out i think I am going to have to take the GRE again....it will be my second masters in under 10 yrs, I hold a current teaching certificate and i work for the State Dept. of Education GEESH~ really?
Old 02-27-2013, 08:03 AM   #1072
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I feel "sick/bleh" from so much food..but hey, it's working! lol...so i don't mind! I LOVE pork rinds...you really want to love them? Dunk them in sour cream...OMGE!
I feel sick/bleh sometimes from too much food also, but for me..its not working...not yet at least, so i'll keep on it, and see what happens. But im really trying to spread the food out and eating more often during the day so i dont do any big huge meals which makes me feel the worst. Ok i'll try the sour cream :P

edit: i found a chicken broth that is 700mg of sodium for 1 cup - less chemicals in this than other ones ive seen so i guess its good enough.

Last edited by Myles; 02-27-2013 at 08:15 AM..
Old 02-27-2013, 08:09 AM   #1073
Senior LCF Member

hahah! Now i want sour cream and rinds! lol

Oh, while i still have time to think and act....I will be on the road for 6 hours tomorrow (round trip) and then training at the state dept. I will most likely take my own lunch and will w/o a doubt eat out for dinner with friends. We usually hit one of the local college hangouts (good burgers, etc. I usually am pretty good at getting in fats/protein and avoiding carbs) Can ya'll offer some packable snacks/lunch options for the day though? I will make TWO tervis tumblers for my coffee w/ CO + HWC for sure...i wouldn't make the commute w/o it!

I was thinking:
olives
pepperoni
pork roast
I might make some sort of cream cheese muffin today so i can be sure to get in the almost 1800 cals of fat i'm supposed to be eating. (that is alarming almost when i write that out! lol)

I don't want them thinking i am a freak (though at the end of the day i don't give a flip as long as i'm losing weight! lol)

Last edited by pibble mama; 02-27-2013 at 08:20 AM..
Old 02-27-2013, 08:14 AM   #1074
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Maybe I'm crazy, but I don't test. Blood ketones or urine. Never have and never will. I know when I'm in ketosis, and the biggest indicator is losing weight. I also get metal mouth, etc. But I'm ok with not being positive I'm in ketosis if the scale is going down. And if its not? That just means I need to eat more fat and less carbs (if I get "stalled"--which for me is 2 days of not losing weight, HA!---I'll cut the salads and add more fat)...

Oh true! I'm just a numbers kind of girl. I love the gadgets and tests.

Mmmmm.....steak.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:16 AM   #1075
Senior LCF Member

Just an FYI, pork rind nachos are incredible!!!
Pork rinds on a plate, sprinkle with cheese, nuke them, top with sour cream and jalapeños. Drool!

My hubby isn't a fan of pork rinds but even he will chow down on these.

Kelly
Old 02-27-2013, 08:23 AM   #1076
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Pork rinds on a plate, sprinkle with cheese, nuke them, top with sour cream and jalapeños. Drool!

Kelly
sounds like dinner soon!
Old 02-27-2013, 08:32 AM   #1077
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Can ya'll offer some packable snacks/lunch options for the day though?
Olives are a good one, pepperoni, pork rinds of course, cheese!, hard boiled eggs, sugar free jello, did i mention cheese? Lol
Old 02-27-2013, 08:44 AM   #1078
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

Kelly
mmmmm, nachos! i forsee my afternoon snack!

Quote:
Olives are a good one, pepperoni, pork rinds of course, cheese!, hard boiled eggs, sugar free jello, did i mention cheese? Lol
i'm good for everything except the eggs! lol and i LOVE me some eggs....just not boiled! unless they are swimming in mayo....wich of course is no out
Old 02-27-2013, 09:37 AM   #1079
Senior LCF Member

I'm thinking fajita nachos with the pork rinds. Or adding taco meat for a good dinner.
Doused in sour cream, salsa,and jalapeños.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:38 AM   #1080
Senior LCF Member

Have y'all made the pepperoni chips and dip them in whipped cream cheese? Nuke pepperoni slices for 90 seconds. They turn into crispy little chips. Love them.
Closed Thread