Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2013, 12:10 PM   #1021
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deb34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
*sigh* No Anchor butter at wallyworld here.
HEB: yes -best store ever. We don't have a big one here, just an old smaller one, but they carry so many great products you can't get anywhere else! Also their produce is good and their t-bones and ribeyes are excellent (compared especially to Kroger's tasteless beef).

Someone mentioned baba ghannouj. Be careful with pre-packaged ones because, for some inexplicable reason, some do add hummus to it (garbanzo beans and other things).
Making your own is easy: prick an eggplant all over with a fork and toss it, along with 2-3 cloves of garlic, in a baking pan and bake at 350 for about 35 minutes or until the eggplant is soft. Let it cool then scoop the flesh out of the skin and puree it along with the roasted garlic cloves, some good evoo, salt and pepper. You can add some red pepper flakes (or cayenne) and a little lemon juice, too
don't forget the Tahini...its essential to get the right flavour, also you can do it by halving the eggplant lengthwise, place cut side down on a baking sheet and bake, but for the last few minutes, turn the oven to broil and let the skin char. Baba Ghannouj is just not the same if you don't have that smokey flavour in the softened flesh....

Quote:
Use your fats to fill remaining calories after you get your carbs and proteins in.
do it a bit differently than most here: first comes protein, then fat and lastly carbs- that way I'm usually to full to regret not eating carbs much.

Last edited by Deb34; 02-26-2013 at 12:47 PM..

Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2013, 01:29 PM   #1022
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pibble mama
Stats: 289.6/283/175!!
WOE: NK newbie!
Start Date: January 2013
ok, i roughly still need 25 -35 grams of protein, i have about450 calories still. Right now my %s are ok. I have had eggs, bacon, chicken, cream, cheese, all the standards....i am open to ALL creative suggestions as to what to eat for dinner to get in the protein. I say creative...only because i am starting to bore of eggs/chicken! lol...i've been eating it for several days and i don't want to got to the grocery store lol i'm being lazy!

Oh, anybody have any good suggestions for pancake alternatives (ricotta etc). I'm craving those and i have the davinci's pancake syrup! yummmm
Old 02-26-2013, 02:47 PM   #1023
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Good job Red you are getting back there.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:11 PM   #1024
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Myles
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasschus View Post
Hi! I'm so late to the game for February. Doing a fat fast using recipes from the ebook Fat Fast Cookbook. Calories at 1000, 90% from fat. I'm only doing it for a few days to dive into ketosis then getting on board with high fat/low carb/moderate protein.

First two days was tired, a little hungry, and had problems with mental fog. Day three and I'm bouncing off the walls and feeling so happy!

I've lost 2.7# and I've been monitoring my blood glucose. I'm waiting to receive some test strips to monitor my blood ketones.

I'm eating 4-5 small feelings per day.

Looking forward to learning more from the group! I should also mention that I'm not new to low carb but had been going a little crazy with the protein.
Welcome to this place!
Old 02-26-2013, 04:44 PM   #1025
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 20, 2012
Today:

B: coffee w/ 1T HWC
Commute: Chicken bouillon w/ 3T HWC
L: 3 HB eggs with old bay
S: 14g macadamias, 7g pecans, 7g walnuts
D: Italian sausage w/ peppers, onions, little bit of tomato sauce, and mozzarella

1310 calories/115.4g fat/18.9g carbs(14.7 net)/52.2g protein

78% fat/16% protein/6% carbs

No appetite today really until I got home, stress I guess?
Old 02-26-2013, 05:28 PM   #1026
Senior LCF Member

I should add, I was so excited to eat that sausage that when I went to grab the pan out of the oven, I forgot to put on an oven mitt. Yep, palm should be completely blistered by tomorrow.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:42 PM   #1027
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzcase View Post
I should add, I was so excited to eat that sausage that when I went to grab the pan out of the oven, I forgot to put on an oven mitt. Yep, palm should be completely blistered by tomorrow.
Ouch!
Old 02-26-2013, 06:03 PM   #1028
Blabbermouth!!!

Food log - Feb 26, 2013

Numbers and log for today.

Calories: 2,455

Fat: 205
Pro: 135
Car: 24

73/23/4

Breakfast: Coffee, CO, HWC.
Lunch: Chicken, cabbage with butter and bouillon.
Dinner: Chicken, sour cream.
Snack: HWC floats.
End of Day: 1oz CO.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:04 PM   #1029
Blabbermouth!!!

I've got to get up extra early to take care of some things so I don't think I'll get to do my weigh-in in the morning.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:35 PM   #1030
Senior LCF Member

i need to eat less for dinner, i will starting tmrw.

Todays breakdown:

B: coffee w/ hwc - and bacon
L: Bacon, brocolli and cauliflower, cheese, and jalapeno mustard
D: chicken, onions, cauliflower, cheese blend, sour cream
S: protein shake, pork rinds

Cal: 3106 - 191 protein, 21 carbs
70/26/4

Damn i am going to have to start looking up amounts of protein before eating isntead of just eating then tracking after - im eating too much!
Old 02-26-2013, 06:46 PM   #1031
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Quote:
Dang MissC, You need someone to talk that fire out
I am the worlds worst to burn myself, but found out my hubby can talk the fire out (Don't tell him I told ya, He keeps it hush hush for some reason)
Now I just hollar, Hey sweety, come chat with my hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
I've got to get up extra early to take care of some things so I don't think I'll get to do my weigh-in in the morning.
You are gonna miss the best part of the day Sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by goolash View Post
Damn i am going to have to start looking up amounts of protein before eating isntead of just eating then tracking after - im eating too much!
I always have to check now cause I jsut eat too much protein.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:12 PM   #1032
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NKSL55
Stats: 205/185/175
WOE: General LC then NK
Start Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by amandacj08 View Post
On the topic of mayo...I made some homemade mayo yesterday with olive oil....it was *very* olivey...very! Does anyone else make it from scratch and if so, what oil do you use?

Along the same lines does anyone make homemade butter?

My weigh in this morning was 192.2
I used some "very light" olive oil (Bertolli). 1 cup of oil, 1 pasteurized egg, white vinegar (1.5 Tablespoons, I think). Whipped with an immersion blender.

Pretty close to Hellmann's in taste.

--
Phillip
Old 02-26-2013, 07:18 PM   #1033
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NKSL55
Stats: 205/185/175
WOE: General LC then NK
Start Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
PUFAs. Poly Unsaturated Fatty Acids. Most veggie oils are high PUFA oils. They are not good for you and they do not work well on an LC woe.

Phinney relates a story in the Long Term Stalls podcast about a clinical trial he ran years ago. The food was tightly controlled and very limited. The nurses that prepared the limited menu used ingredients containing 'healthy' oils to make chicken salad and some other mayo based nasty dish. All of the participants refused to eat these PUFA oil based meals and the trial was run over time so the reaction was striking because the first guy in the program never met the last guy in the program - it wasn't because they told each other it about it.

He also identified PUFA oils as a problem elsewhere in the Stalls podcast advising the questioner to look at their fat sources and get rid of the PUFA based junk.

And there are probably a lot of other examples/warnings I am forgetting off the top of my head.

Its the omega-6 PUFAs that you especially want to keep low. Because plant oils tend to have so much of it, it is fairly difficult to do.

Red, you left out the best part of the mayo story. Phinney thought that it might be the texture of the mayo that caused the issue -- stomach aches. So he fed himself mayo via a gastric tube so his mouth would not experience that creamy texture. He still got a stomach ache.

--
Phillip
Old 02-26-2013, 07:19 PM   #1034
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Quote:

You grew out of it ct?
Nope! I take from 100 to 300 mg benadryl to survive most days. I decided long ago that being normal was the key...as I was isolated until I was 5...seems that in the new age clinical thinking, that was correct. Gradual exposure to allergens will build immunity. As for me, if you knew me casually, say at work, you would not realize I am allergic, building my immunity took years, and with benadryl (and epi-pens near!) I am fairly normal. I cannot eat most glutens, milk products (exception of hard cheeses) pine nuts are an ED visit, but good news, poison ivy is not on my list! Add in the SJS, and that is no other medications but benadryl and vitamins can go in my body. Life is good, I rarely get sick!
Old 02-26-2013, 07:40 PM   #1035
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
yikes! I hope you are ok! CO is supposed to be good for burns to!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKSL55 View Post
Red, you left out the best part of the mayo story. Phinney thought that it might be the texture of the mayo that caused the issue -- stomach aches. So he fed himself mayo via a gastric tube so his mouth would not experience that creamy texture. He still got a stomach ache.

--
Phillip
EWWWWW! lol WHO would do that to themselves??? I'm gonna have nightmares about that i am SURE ! lol

Ok, I managed to get my protein up over 100 today! a whopping
103! lol carbs were a bit high I had a hankering for greek yogurt cabots is 10% milk fat and SO good!!
My %s were 77/17/6

I will do even better tomorrow getting the protein up and leaving the greek yogurt alone!

Thursday I have to travel to Columbia, SC for work.....so I will try to pack a lot of fat snacks and protein, but I know I will do dinner out with friends up there! So i will just watch it and do the best i can!
Old 02-26-2013, 07:40 PM   #1036
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
Same here. I think that is why I had a weight problem. When I was a 3 or 4 all I could eat was beef, rice and carrot for months! When I started adding more foods back in I guess I enjoyed myself too much
I was chicken,fish, rice, carrots, green beans! Funny, somethings you all talk about loving I have no clue what they taste like! Maybe a good thing. Spinach will put me in the ED too! Last bite was when I was 21.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:36 PM   #1037
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LarlaB
Stats: 5' 11" ~ 168/141/148
WOE: LCHF & Training for a Marathon
Start Date: August 13, 2012
Quote:
Weigh-in this morning ... 199.5! Hooray! Back in onderland

I've kind of been stalking you, waiting for you to break out of the 200's Rock it!
Old 02-27-2013, 02:34 AM   #1038
Major LCF Poster!

weigh in 159.5. about the same
Old 02-27-2013, 02:44 AM   #1039
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
Nope! I take from 100 to 300 mg benadryl to survive most days. I decided long ago that being normal was the key...as I was isolated until I was 5...seems that in the new age clinical thinking, that was correct. Gradual exposure to allergens will build immunity. As for me, if you knew me casually, say at work, you would not realize I am allergic, building my immunity took years, and with benadryl (and epi-pens near!) I am fairly normal. I cannot eat most glutens, milk products (exception of hard cheeses) pine nuts are an ED visit, but good news, poison ivy is not on my list! Add in the SJS, and that is no other medications but benadryl and vitamins can go in my body. Life is good, I rarely get sick!
Man benedryl is like drinking liquor to me, worse. It will stop my hives and sneezing in about 30 minutes but then I am like a drunk. I used to take sneezing spells that were unbearable. I never knew what exactly would cause one, it was like my body would dump histamin. Since discovering NK I do not have them, or asthma attacks. When I slipped out of NK but kept doing LC I could tell that the allergies and asthma were coming back but as I got back in to NK a few weeks they went away again. Poison ivy is my nemisis. I am convinced it targets me.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:07 AM   #1040
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Hows your hand Casey?
Old 02-27-2013, 04:19 AM   #1041
Senior LCF Member

Good morning all, my hand is OK. It hurts like hell last night though! I couldn't stop thinking "OMG, I do not ever want to die in a fire or explosion or anything." Being burned is the WORST pain. Or maybe I'm just a baby LOL.

Today is my last long day at school for the week, finally!
Old 02-27-2013, 04:33 AM   #1042
Senior LCF Member

I agree, being burned is probably the worst. One time as a kid i put my forearm on a red hot element..took a long time to heal. Glad you're ok.

for me today, my weight - 325.4 - actually up 1 lb since last i checked monday.

Last edited by Myles; 02-27-2013 at 04:35 AM..
Old 02-27-2013, 04:46 AM   #1043
Senior LCF Member

Hey goolash, try not to sweat it. I was up 1 pound yesterday morning from the day before. Down 4 pounds this morning from yesterday. Fluctuations are normal.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:55 AM   #1044
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKSL55 View Post
Its the omega-6 PUFAs that you especially want to keep low. Because plant oils tend to have so much of it, it is fairly difficult to do.

--
Phillip
I must have a mental block on that part of the story because it is too horrifying to contemplate
Old 02-27-2013, 04:57 AM   #1045
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I agree, being burned is probably the worst. One time as a kid i put my forearm on a red hot element..took a long time to heal. Glad you're ok.

for me today, my weight - 325.4 - actually up 1 lb since last i checked monday.
If you want to see how wild the swings can be on the scale, weigh yourself just before you go to bed and then weigh yourself after a full nights sleep. I've done it several times and the swing for me has been 7 to 9 pounds.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:00 AM   #1046
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Use ACV on it Casey. Google around. Is there anything ACV can't do???
google:Natural Healing Home Remedies
-----------
BURNS
Apply pure apple cider vinegar to the burn, whether it's from the sun or a hot surface, to reduce the pain, to disinfect, and to supply nutrient required for healing.

To get the maximum benefit of this home treatment, treat the burn immediately, until pain is relieved.

Generally the results occur faster and more efficiently than when flushing the burn under cold water, often eliminating almost all swelling and redness.

Note also that the skin does not burn on contact with vinegar (unless this is an open wound, which is not the common case of a burn), you only feel a slight tingling sensation without pain.
-----------
Old 02-27-2013, 05:02 AM   #1047
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Good morning all, my hand is OK. It hurts like hell last night though! I couldn't stop thinking "OMG, I do not ever want to die in a fire or explosion or anything." Being burned is the WORST pain. Or maybe I'm just a baby LOL.

Today is my last long day at school for the week, finally!
Oh i hope your hand feels better! Did you try the coconut oil? AWESOME job on 4 lbs! WOOHOO!

I ddn't want to weigh this morning...i just "felt" puffy..... ......
I was down 1.4 from Monday's weight! Omg!!!!! Is this NK thing working? I eat so much it doesn't seem plausible!! I am loving it though!!

My goal is to back down the carbs. Greek yogurt will have to be a rare treat...I just LOVE it! And get the protein up even more! I just need to plot out the 120 grams and either nibble it throughout the day and the small bits in my hwc, cheese, etc will just be bonus...since my range is higher.

Ya'll have a great day today. I think we are in for MORE rain today? Some GA schools are closed due to all the rain.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:08 AM   #1048
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
i need to eat less for dinner, i will starting tmrw.

Todays breakdown:

B: coffee w/ hwc - and bacon
L: Bacon, brocolli and cauliflower, cheese, and jalapeno mustard
D: chicken, onions, cauliflower, cheese blend, sour cream
S: protein shake, pork rinds

Cal: 3106 - 191 protein, 21 carbs
70/26/4

191g is still within the 1.5-2.0g/kg range for you Myles. The reason to try to hit real close to the same number is to minimize variables while trying to figure out what works with your body.

For example, a day or two ago I actually ate 2.2g/kg! That was the day before my 199.5 weigh-in.

What I do is try to map out the day before hand and then I have a loose guide to go by. I might enter 14oz of chicken for use between lunch and dinner to see where that puts me on protein grams for the day. Then I will know that I need to be closer to 12oz for the day.

If that is too inconvenient, memorize the fact that protein is about 9 grams to an ounce of meat and memorize your protein gram goal. Then you can do back of napkin stuff on the fly and be close to right when you log it afterwards.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:13 AM   #1049
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pibble mama View Post
Oh i hope your hand feels better! Did you try the coconut oil? AWESOME job on 4 lbs! WOOHOO!

I ddn't want to weigh this morning...i just "felt" puffy..... ......
I was down 1.4 from Monday's weight! Omg!!!!! Is this NK thing working? I eat so much it doesn't seem plausible!! I am loving it though!!

My goal is to back down the carbs. Greek yogurt will have to be a rare treat...I just LOVE it! And get the protein up even more! I just need to plot out the 120 grams and either nibble it throughout the day and the small bits in my hwc, cheese, etc will just be bonus...since my range is higher.

Ya'll have a great day today. I think we are in for MORE rain today? Some GA schools are closed due to all the rain.
Congrats!!!

Isn't the full fat version a lot less carby?

Good tip on CO and burns Theresa

From a natural remedy type site:
----
Rubbing coconut oil on burns, including sunburns, can help to prevent blisters, peeling and scarring and will help to soothe the burn.
----
Old 02-27-2013, 05:14 AM   #1050
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Hey goolash, try not to sweat it. I was up 1 pound yesterday morning from the day before. Down 4 pounds this morning from yesterday. Fluctuations are normal.
Dang heh Congrats!!
Closed Thread