Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2013, 04:15 PM   #901
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: amandacj08
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
Amanda You are Gorgeous!
Aww, shucks

Red - I'll pick those books up - he is a reader, so that's a good idea. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2013, 04:27 PM   #902
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
He is? Excellent! Get The Art and Science of Low Carb Living too. But read them in this order:

Why We Get Fat
Wheat Belly
A&S LC

Old 02-24-2013, 04:32 PM   #903
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
He is? Excellent! Get The Art and Science of Low Carb Living too. But read them in this order:

Why We Get Fat
Wheat Belly
A&S LC

Art and science must be one loved book. I always try to find books used so I can pay less. Boy you can't get a deal on that one. When someone gets it they tend to hang on to it. Surprising since it has been out over a year. The few used ones you can fing cost as much as a new one.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:38 PM   #904
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pibble mama
Stats: 289.6/283/175!!
WOE: NK newbie!
Start Date: January 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzcase View Post
Hey red, I drink bouillon every day, liberally salt everything, etc. Just think it was a freak thing, felt fine today..

Well, for anyone that has read my posts in these threads, they know I feel "eh" about coconut oil. Hate it in coffee, hate frying with, hate it in fat bombs, hate the mouthfeel/texture overall. I had no idea what to do with this huge jar of Nutiva in my cabinet...
I know i am way behind on posts...but i am already on page 16! lol
I know you add it to your shakes (which i love shakes, esp in the warmer months!) but co is incredible moisture for your hair and skin! I use it as a leave in conditioner when i know i will be washing my hair the next day! I usually have to shampoo twice, but man!!! It is soooooo good for your hair and skin!

Quote:
Man I can't wait to get the hell out of Savannah. I love being startled awake by 8 gun shots at 2:30 AM.. and trying to convince myself it was just a car backfiring. Then all those flashing blue lights come flying by 5 minutes later :-/ I live in an upper/middle class, family-oriented part of town too!

In other news, I'm up at 2:30 meal planning for the week! :-)
Wow!!! You were here?!? lol...gun shots in the wee hours of the morning are an every day occurrence. I live in the Ardsley area lol...who would've thought....

Quote:
Pibble, I can only speak for myself, but once I firmly enter ketosis, 1300 calories is more than enough food. I fight to get above 1200 calories. Now, today is different as it is my first day back coming off of a cold (and lots of high carb Nyquil) so my appetite hasn't died down yet. I'll eat about 1700 calories, but still end up lighter on the scales by tomorrow morning

Also, if you continue doing JUDDD, have you ever tried doing hardboiled eggs on down days? Three hardboiled eggs in the morning keeps me stuffed until mid-afternoon.
I can't do hb eggs unless they are doused in mayo! lol...i have been averaging about 800 or so cals on dd so i may even up that more (TY Darin!) I know that when I was in K in atkins I would KNOW when i hit, because i just wasn't hungry. I usually have coffee w/ hwc for breakfast and that does me most days till about 1 or so. The only real reason i liked juddd was because it kinda forced me to watch my caloric intake. On atkins i felt like i was just eating WAY too much just because i could! The dd were almost a welcome relief from the over stuffed feeling i have on up days! lol

Quote:
It is because the menus are typically proportionately moderate protein and low carb. You figure that 90g of protein is only 10oz of meat the entire day. A couple of oz for breakfast, a few oz for lunch and the four or five for dinner. It ain't a whole lot of food. 30g of cabbage is only about 10 or 12 oz I think. My morning coffee/CO/HWC is about 700 cals.

But, really, if someone is eating 1400 or 1500 calories it isn't very much food.

Very true! I need to keep things in perspective and remember that everyone's numbers are so different!

Quote:
Its a Linda Sue recipe.. make sure you skimp on protein all day to give you enough room for 2 pieces! I forgot I was making it tonight so 2 pieces clocked me in at 100g protein for the day. Its 38g protein a serving, but so worth it though. Also, I shred the chicken after I cook it instead of cubing it. I like the consistency much better.
OMG! I love her recipes! The green chili casserole is to die for! I also loved the cheeseburger pie! I added sauteed mushrooms to mine and used swiss cheese (after my favorite burger at the cheesecake!!!)
Old 02-24-2013, 04:49 PM   #905
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 20, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by pibble mama View Post

Wow!!! You were here?!? lol...gun shots in the wee hours of the morning are an every day occurrence. I live in the Ardsley area lol...who would've thought....

Yah, I live in Ardsley too! It startled me, and I haven't been "used to" hearing gunshots since I lived downtown near Crystal Beer Parlor... its funny I felt safer living down there since we were in a condo with 3 or 4 locked doors to get through, now we are in a single family house and I just feel so vulnerable sometimes! Thank god for lax Georgia gun laws, thats all I have to say about that.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:00 PM   #906
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Art and science must be one loved book. I always try to find books used so I can pay less. Boy you can't get a deal on that one. When someone gets it they tend to hang on to it. Surprising since it has been out over a year. The few used ones you can find cost as much as a new one.
It is the first and only general purpose book on NK available.

The way they wrote it makes it a good reference book for keeping on hand too.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:07 PM   #907
Blabbermouth!!!

Food log - Feb 24, 2013

Numbers and log for today.

Calories: 2,427

Fat: 212
Pro: 126
Car: 9

77/22/1

Breakfast: Coffee, CO, HWC.
Lunch: Chicken with melted butter, a tiny bit of broccoli with bouillon and bacon grease.
Dinner: Eggs.
Snack: HWC floats.
End of Day: 1oz CO.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:10 PM   #908
Senior LCF Member

Is Art and Science really sciencey or is it something I could read before bed at night?

Last edited by mizzcase; 02-24-2013 at 05:19 PM..
Old 02-24-2013, 05:34 PM   #909
Blabbermouth!!!

No, it isn't super technical at all
Old 02-24-2013, 06:33 PM   #910
Senior LCF Member

ok, i have a weird question....I have noticed over the past week or so that I have been experiencing hearburn a lil at night.....is that from the increased fat in my diet??? hmmmm, co has never been a problem, I can have quite a bit of it everyday if i want w no ill effects. I'm just thinking maybe i'm finally putting 2+2 together since i have been reading this thread all day....i'm on pg 21 lol
Old 02-24-2013, 08:52 PM   #911
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Myles
Quote:
Weighin this am 158.5
You guys are killinme. Talkin bout how hard it is to get in enough calories
Poor things. It must be awful to be 6 foot and get to eat all that food.
haha - Well, it's to start - we haven't proven that it works or not so it may not be continuous !

Quote:
Hi Myles, I'm not sure what site Red uses, but that keto calculator generates BMR numbers-- basically the number of calories you'd be burning even if you were in a coma.
Well dang i didn't know that! Thx!

Quote:
It is Phinney's formula:

30-35cals * kg_weight
(325/2.2)*35 = 5170

From page 207 of The Art and Science of Low Carb Living:

"As an aside, the casual reader might protest that these energy expenditure numbers look pretty high. But for anyone that has worked with obese humans in a metabolic research ward, 30kcal per kg of actual body weight in the sedentary obese and 35 kcal/kg in the post-obese moderately active adult are actually quite conservative expenditure values."

You are obese but you are not sedentary so I used the 35cal/kg number to get to 5000.
AHHhh, i see. I started reading that book but i stopped. The reason was because i had started working out in January, so i bought the Performance book - which i have slowly...slowly.. started reading. I don't have a lot of time for things like reading unfortunately.

And the last line above is also why i didn't measure today (my body). However i still tracked everything that i ate.

2 breakfasts - 1 at 6 am, 1 at 9:30 am:
1) Coffee w/ hwc, 4 bacon, 2 eggs
2) side order bacon, farmers omelette(perkins), grilled tomatos

Lunch: Pepperoni slices, sausage rounds, baba ghanouj

Dinner: Greek salad and a protein shake

Snacks: Dill cream cheese, and jello cups and sour cream

2674 cal, 239g fat, 39g carbs 152g protein

74/21/5

i dont think the carbs are accurate tho cuz its showing 16 frmo the greek salad and it was all homeade and i didnt eat that much of it, and also 8g carbs from the omelette which was just eggs, meat and peppers, onions - so im thinkin carbs were probably closer to 25 or less.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:53 AM   #912
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Off to work!!realy sick yesterday up all night in bathroom plus sore throat,yukkkkkkk but I do feel a little better today,,,
Old 02-25-2013, 03:50 AM   #913
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mumasatus
Stats: 171/153/130
WOE: VLC/MP/HF
Good morning, everyone. We had a great weekend at the Faire, but I am so happy to be home in my own bed.

I was down to 149 this morning. At 5'5" it means I am no longer technically overweight. Hooray!!

I hope everyone has a wonderful Monday.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:02 AM   #914
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goolash View Post
haha - Well, it's to start - we haven't proven that it works or not so it may not be continuous !

Well dang i didn't know that! Thx!

AHHhh, i see. I started reading that book but i stopped. The reason was because i had started working out in January, so i bought the Performance book - which i have slowly...slowly.. started reading. I don't have a lot of time for things like reading unfortunately.

And the last line above is also why i didn't measure today (my body). However i still tracked everything that i ate.

2 breakfasts - 1 at 6 am, 1 at 9:30 am:
1) Coffee w/ hwc, 4 bacon, 2 eggs

Lunch: Pepperoni slices, sausage rounds, baba ghanouj

Dinner: Greek salad and a protein shake

Snacks: Dill cream cheese, and jello cups and sour cream

2674 cal, 239g fat, 39g carbs 152g protein

74/21/5

i dont think the carbs are accurate tho cuz its showing 16 frmo the greek salad and it was all homeade and i didnt eat that much of it, and also 8g carbs from the omelette which was just eggs, meat and peppers, onions - so im thinkin carbs were probably closer to 25 or less.

Myles, do they mix flour into the batter at Perkins to fluff up their omelettes? Chains are known to do that.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:02 AM   #915
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumasatus View Post
Good morning, everyone. We had a great weekend at the Faire, but I am so happy to be home in my own bed.

I was down to 149 this morning. At 5'5" it means I am no longer technically overweight. Hooray!!

Old 02-25-2013, 04:50 AM   #916
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Myles, do they mix flour into the batter at Perkins to fluff up their omelettes? Chains are known to do that.
I asked! I saw on the perkins website that they mix pancake batter and the waitress was amused and said that here in Canada its just 3 eggs nothing else for the omelette except the fillings (meat and veg and cheese) !
Old 02-25-2013, 05:36 AM   #917
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goolash View Post
I don't have a lot of time for things like reading unfortunately.
It is worth making time. Why We Get Fat reads like a novel.

Quote:
I think I'd email Perkins HQ and ask them about it. I doubt the waitress would intentionally steer you wrong but if your job demands that you eat out frequently it is important to get the straight dope. I tell them I have a wheat allergy when I go out to eat. I think the phrase to make sure that the eggs are unadulterated is 'from the shell'.

Quote:
Lunch: Pepperoni slices, sausage rounds,
Keep an eye on processed meats. Dropping them is the first thing I'd tweak if you need to tweak in the near future.

Quote:
baba ghanouj
Jamaican?
Old 02-25-2013, 05:36 AM   #918
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:

Congrats!!!! And Hooray!!!
Old 02-25-2013, 05:37 AM   #919
Blabbermouth!!!

Weigh-in Feb 25, 2013

Weigh-in this morning ... 200.1 lol dang it.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:38 AM   #920
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
Off to work!!realy sick yesterday up all night in bathroom plus sore throat,yukkkkkkk but I do feel a little better today,,,
Was it a bug or are you catching that cold/flu that is going around Becky? I hope you get to feeling better
Old 02-25-2013, 06:25 AM   #921
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Mmmmm, sounds good. Let us know how you like it. Might have to try that.

Last week I tasted a Mushroom swiss burger for the first time. (My Dh had one) I thought is was delicious so I am trying to put together a mushroom swiss burger casserole or something. Has anyone made something like that?
I am gonna try to come up with a recipe, unless someone has one?
I me some mushroom swiss burger! I'm not big on chain restaurants but cheesecake makes one that i literally drool over! Linda Sue's recipe for cheeseburger pie is also delish as all get out! I add swiss, sauteed shrooms and bacon....then rebuild the recipe to get my nutrients and believe me by te time i'm done it is so HIGH FAT someone over at WW is going into shock!

Quote:
Oh I should also add:

The burger that I ate today and couldn't finish because I felt sick to my stomach.. I found out while I was eating it that it was locally sourced from a local farm called Hunter Cattle Company. I happen to drive by this farm every day on the way to school and for the past month every day all the cows and their calves are out in the pasture. I love them so much haha! The little calves running around just melt my little heart, I kind of have an attachment to them.. so I felt bad when I was eating the burger. LOL

I've got issues.

Shoot, sounds like the Nyquil is already starting to kick in.
First, bleh on nyquil. Bless your heart for enduring that stuff!

WHERE do you get your meet here? I am dying for whole foods to open so i can have more options. Though, I don't (CAN'T) know where my food came from or what it used to look like! When i was in high school (back in the paleolithic era! ) I was in ag because i wanted to raise cute baby animals. I had a pig. Named him Wilbur, I did! BIG MISTAKE! The pig and i bonded....i would nap with him in his pen (VERY CLEAN AND SMART animals they are!) Well, came sale day and I didn't really know what to expect. Then I saw my Wilbur get loaded onto a NASTY cattle trailer and livid with my dad for not "buying" back my baby! Well....then someone explained to me what was REALLY happening....i didn't eat bacon for over ten years! Heck, I even went vegan until 2002! And gained almost 200lbs in the process!

I'd love to raise hens for eggs....but NEVER to eat them...i couldn't! Do you know of a place here to buy fresh organic eggs that won't leave me homeless?

Quote:
I'll be selling my daughter's goat milk soap and other products at the renaissance festival outside of Austin while she stays here and cares for the animals and my 3 year old.

I'd better get up and start packing. I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend.
WOW! I checked out your daughter's FB page! LOVE it! I actually am from Austin (well, the Area!) originally! I miss all the quirky lil markets and fairs. So much fun! My cousin used to raise goats out in Dripping Springs. I took a baby once (the kind that their legs go stiff when they get scared....so precious!) Raised him from an infant...his name was Tivio and he was more like a dog! Slept with me, went out on horseback rides with me...got baths weekly. Lost him though to a virus about a year later...broke my heart!

Quote:
Red, Did you say something about leaving pork out of the fridge a while before you cook it?
Darin may have already answered this (i read so much last night i forgot what I've read! lol) But anytime you are cooking meat, leave it out for a bit to come to an even room temp so that the interior of the meat cooks at the same time as the outside....if that makes sense? (sounds funny as i read it...) If the interior is ice cold it will be raw and the outside will be well done. This is especially good to know w/ pork and chicken...the two things you don't want raw in the middle!

Quote:
Also read something about spinach and kale having some kind of effect on hormone levels. I don't know, but in my personal opinion, the effects of eating spinach for me are about the same as drinking a gallon of bleach.. I get fatigued, constipated, short of breath, and stop losing weight.
Spinach does this to you?!? and kale?? They are supposed to be super foods? It amazes me (and stresses me!) how different foods affect different people. I then over analyze what it might be doing to me! lol.....i think to much about this stuff!

Quote:
Ah, I see your point. You say, "But!!! Look at Batman & Robin!!! If a franchise can come back from that level of idiocy any franchise can!!!"

I say, touche! Well played MC.
hey hey hey! lol easy on the Batman! I love Batman...though, some of the variations can be a bit much!

Quote:
Its a Linda Sue recipe.. .
I love all of her recipes!!

Quote:
I was MORTIFIED when I realized some of the big "international" chains did this~ Huddle House doesn't do this, they use an milkshake blender (like an industrial immersion blender) to get then airy and light. LOVE their philly omelet! We have a breakfast place here JChristophers that I LOVE going to get the billy goat omelet!

I was up 1.4 from Saturday, but Saturday night was way bad (junk food like nobody's business! ) and then a really good up day yesterday. (still coming off of my juddd terminology!) I am having my coffee w/ hwc and co. I usually make creamer using coconut cream, but the co is a first. Used my immersion blender...omg. it is so FROTHY! Like a latte! I it! It is rainin here and the dogs are curled up on top of me...all 160lbs of them! lol...Don't try telling them they are not lap dogs!

I hope everyone has a great day! I'm off to read some more!
Oh! I was reading a paleo site and came across a book rich food....poor food....it is a "whole" food healthy guide to the additives/crap that is in food...i might have to check out the kindle edition!
Old 02-25-2013, 06:39 AM   #922
Senior LCF Member

Pibble, I got the burger from Green Truck.. its our favorite restaurant here in Savannah, but such a pain in the butt to get a table cause its such a small joint.

My boyfriend is from Texas (McAllen) but graduated from UT Austin and we are probably moving back there when he gets out of the Navy and we both graduate from GSU in December (he's getting his MBA and I'm finishing my BS in accounting).. I have an unhealthy obsession with ALL things Texas, and especially Austin. H.E.B. is what dreams are made of.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:48 AM   #923
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Pibble, I got the burger from Green Truck.. its our favorite restaurant here in Savannah, but such a pain in the butt to get a table cause its such a small joint.

My boyfriend is from Texas (McAllen) but graduated from UT Austin and we are probably moving back there when he gets out of the Navy and we both graduate from GSU in December (he's getting his MBA and I'm finishing my BS in accounting).. I have an unhealthy obsession with ALL things Texas, and especially Austin. H.E.B. is what dreams are made of.
I KNEW you were cool! lol I LOVE AUSTIN! I keep thinking I will go back someday, but JUST got my dream job w. the SC state dept of ed! AND I get to work from home! The doggies love that I work from home also! I keep meaning to try the Green Truck but it is ALWAYS packed! Good sign...

I am about to start a masters in Ed Tech at GSU...pending acceptance. But I can't imagine I won't get in....unless they make me take my GRE again...that pain was 6yrs ago! lol
Old 02-25-2013, 07:15 AM   #924
Senior LCF Member

Ok, i'm pulling my hair out! I logged food planned for lunch. 4.5 oz of flat iron steak, one fried egg, 1 tbs butter and one yellow squash (sauteed). I had a LOT of hwc and co plus one piece of thick pork side (homemade bacon) for breakfast. I am only at 28g of protein for the day.....i need to be about 115-125?!? HOW can i get that way up there yet not mess with my numbers and jack the cals WAY outta whack? Have about 7-8 hundred left for the day, but higher protein will eat that up fast??? How long till i am no longer clueless??
Old 02-25-2013, 07:30 AM   #925
Blabbermouth!!!

It takes some getting used to when you first start trying to balance macros and calories.

10oz of chicken is about 90g of protein and about 500 calories.

12oz of Tilapia is about 90g of protein and 400 calories.

Don't get stuck on macro percentages. If your morning fat calories are squeezing your ability to get the right amount of protein in then reduce morning fat calories. Or, particularly since you are just starting out, don't worry too much about blowing your calorie goal.

Fatty protein can make it hard to keep calories in line and hit protein grams for the day. I intentionally eat lean protein most days so I can have a finer control over calories and eat a lot of fat.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:53 AM   #926
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: amandacj08
Quote:
I have an unhealthy obsession with ALL things Texas, and especially Austin. H.E.B. is what dreams are made of.
Texans have no clue how good they've got it with HEB! We just moved from San Antonio to Spokane...I mostly miss HEB!
Old 02-25-2013, 08:05 AM   #927
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
It takes some getting used to when you first start trying to balance macros and calories.

10oz of chicken is about 90g of protein and about 500 calories.

12oz of Tilapia is about 90g of protein and 400 calories.

Don't get stuck on macro percentages. If your morning fat calories are squeezing your ability to get the right amount of protein in then reduce morning fat calories. Or, particularly since you are just starting out, don't worry too much about blowing your calorie goal.

Fatty protein can make it hard to keep calories in line and hit protein grams for the day. I intentionally eat lean protein most days so I can have a finer control over calories and eat a lot of fat.

yes, i was a lil indulgent with my breakfast fat! I need to limit the hwc TWO shot glasses adds up! lol But since I have permission to throw calories to the wind j/k lol i guess i will go pull some chx from the freezer....or maybe just add some tuna to my avo for the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandacj08 View Post
Texans have no clue how good they've got it with HEB! We just moved from San Antonio to Spokane...I mostly miss HEB!
Texas rules! lol I miss Austin. I remember the first time i went to a city market which is HEB's answer to gourmet whole foods. HEAVEN! My parents know we have specific stops when they pick me up from the airport! Mexican food (chuey's) and then City market and amy's ice cream if i am being particularly wicked!
Old 02-25-2013, 08:13 AM   #928
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
It is worth making time. Why We Get Fat reads like a novel.
The Gary Taubes book? Thats actually the last book i read in its Entirety - still working on the performance book!

Quote:
I think I'd email Perkins HQ and ask them about it. I doubt the waitress would intentionally steer you wrong but if your job demands that you eat out frequently it is important to get the straight dope. I tell them I have a wheat allergy when I go out to eat. I think the phrase to make sure that the eggs are unadulterated is 'from the shell'.
Yep that cant hurt, or go in the kitchen and watch them crack 3 eggs and nothing else into a bowl

Quote:
Keep an eye on processed meats. Dropping them is the first thing I'd tweak if you need to tweak in the near future.
That's easy to do !

Quote:
Jamaican?
Baba ghanoush is middle eastern eggplant dip
Old 02-25-2013, 08:37 AM   #929
Blabbermouth!!!

I gather that all but a very few chain restaurants use eggs from a carton rather than eggs still in a shell. But if you request them from the shell they'll do it. Especially if you mention food allergies. I'm not sure if there is a universal phrase for it so I'd just ask the waitress 'can I get my eggs from the shell or what do you all call that?'.

Ya see, the eggs that don't meet QC standards to be sold retail are shelled and packaged up in quantities for commercial use. The eggs themselves are fine but the size is too small or the shell is an off color or whatever.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:39 AM   #930
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deb34
Quote:
Also, nuts are so dang expensive.
Do you like Macadamia nuts? I get mine at Costco, 680 gm for $16.99 i think. Dry roasted with sea salt...they are really easy to eat.
Closed Thread