Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2013, 04:51 PM   #841
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
It is probably the only funny line in the movie, but that 21 and Over trailer where the cops pull up and the cop tells that girl "GET DOWN RIGHT NOW" so she starts doing the robot.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2013, 04:52 PM   #842
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 20, 2012
Food logs look good!
Old 02-23-2013, 05:36 PM   #843
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Myles
RED:

Thank you

I bookmarked your post and am going to try switching it up to 3k cals at 73/20/4 with 150g being protein and keeping carbs under 30 pref 20 and the rest fat. I gotta tell you, i duno how the hell im gunna get so much cals in tho - I just ate 8 jalapenos stuffed with lots of cream cheese, cheese and bacon, and still for the day im only at 2400 cals roughly. I will start tomorrow - How many days in a row should i do this to determine if i should change it up. Going to take measurements starting tmrw morning as well - any good links for which measurements to take and how to do it?

Today so far im at 2339 Cals (and i just finished dinner - 7:30 pm here)
195g fat / 118g prot / 30g carbs - 75/20/5 roughly. I will have another protein shake before bed, and some fatty snack if i have room.

Checking out the bootcamp thingy you linked.. Thanks a lot LETS DO THIS!
Old 02-23-2013, 05:41 PM   #844
Senior LCF Member

Yay Myles, glad you're on board! This thread is so very supportive, it makes such an easier time of everything.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:49 PM   #845
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzcase View Post
Yay Myles, glad you're on board! This thread is so very supportive, it makes such an easier time of everything.
Yep, the support is a huge part of this, none of us can do it alone!
Old 02-23-2013, 05:58 PM   #846
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolash View Post
RED:

Thank you

I bookmarked your post and am going to try switching it up to 3k cals at 73/20/4 with 150g being protein and keeping carbs under 30 pref 20 and the rest fat. I gotta tell you, i duno how the hell im gunna get so much cals in tho - I just ate 8 jalapenos stuffed with lots of cream cheese, cheese and bacon, and still for the day im only at 2400 cals roughly. I will start tomorrow - How many days in a row should i do this to determine if i should change it up. Going to take measurements starting tmrw morning as well - any good links for which measurements to take and how to do it?

195g fat / 118g prot / 30g carbs - 75/20/5 roughly. I will have another protein shake before bed, and some fatty snack if i have room.

You can DO IT!!!
Do you use CO or drink it in coffee?
Have you tried HWC floats? you can slide in some fat there.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:06 PM   #847
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
You can DO IT!!!
Do you use CO or drink it in coffee?
Have you tried HWC floats? you can slide in some fat there.
I sometimes cook with CO, i dont like my coffee oily tho - have tried it in coffee but dont like it - id rather just eat a big tablespoon of the oil.

I have tried the HWC floats, they're so filling!
Old 02-23-2013, 06:17 PM   #848
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
RED:

Thank you

You're welcome

How long to do it is hard to say. 3 to 4 weeks would probably be good but it is very hard to be patient for that length of time. So we'll take it a week at a whack and monitor as we go.

Yeah, you're gonna have to spread out the calories to get them all in for the day for sure. I eat about 2300 and I fear it getting too late in the day with not enough calories consumed. We are really just taking an educated guess, but still a guess, at the actual calorie expenditure and calorie deficit so you'll probably be okay with a range of calories like 2500 to 3500. But for data to plot a course it'd be best to be as consistent as possible. I use a simple spreadsheet for that. My food logger does it but I like the spreadsheet for conciseness. And with a spreadsheet I can do a formula to see the average for the week for all the numbers.

If you average, say, 2800 for a week and you are not losing or gaining, or even if you gain just a little, then bump your average up the next week.

Actually! I just found a great video for us on youtube for measuring. She doesn't show how to do arms but you might wing it on that. I know I lost a heck of a lot of fat on my forearms, shoulders, belly and neck. My dress shirt size went down in arm length and an inch, I think, in neck size.

Old 02-23-2013, 06:20 PM   #849
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I sometimes cook with CO, i dont like my coffee oily tho - have tried it in coffee but dont like it - id rather just eat a big tablespoon of the oil.

I have tried the HWC floats, they're so filling!
You might try to get used to CO & Coffee. I have about 700 calories in the morning with my coffee/CO/HWC.

If you use a thermos for your coffee you can give a a good shake to incorporate the CO before you pour yourself a cup to avoid the oil slick that you will get just adding the oil to the cup.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:33 PM   #850
Senior LCF Member

Yup, and also for the coffee with coconut oil, am immersion blender works really well for mixing it so its not oily. I've read plenty of people that don't like the oily taste of CO witb coffee but can handle it just fine if they use the immersion blender to mix it.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:39 PM   #851
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
You're welcome

How long to do it is hard to say. 3 to 4 weeks would probably be good but it is very hard to be patient for that length of time. So we'll take it a week at a whack and monitor as we go.

Yeah, you're gonna have to spread out the calories to get them all in for the day for sure. I eat about 2300 and I fear it getting too late in the day with not enough calories consumed. We are really just taking an educated guess, but still a guess, at the actual calorie expenditure and calorie deficit so you'll probably be okay with a range of calories like 2500 to 3500. But for data to plot a course it'd be best to be as consistent as possible. I use a simple spreadsheet for that. My food logger does it but I like the spreadsheet for conciseness. And with a spreadsheet I can do a formula to see the average for the week for all the numbers.

If you average, say, 2800 for a week and you are not losing or gaining, or even if you gain just a little, then bump your average up the next week.

Actually! I just found a great video for us on youtube for measuring. She doesn't show how to do arms but you might wing it on that. I know I lost a heck of a lot of fat on my forearms, shoulders, belly and neck. My dress shirt size went down in arm length and an inch, I think, in neck size.

Measuring Chest, Waist, and Hips - YouTube
Awesome Vid - Alright, tracking continues, will start posting my meals and macros in this thread!
Old 02-23-2013, 06:40 PM   #852
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
You might try to get used to CO & Coffee. I have about 700 calories in the morning with my coffee/CO/HWC.

If you use a thermos for your coffee you can give a a good shake to incorporate the CO before you pour yourself a cup to avoid the oil slick that you will get just adding the oil to the cup.
no thermos, but my breakfasts with just food and coffee w/ hwc avg about 7-900 cals, lol
Old 02-23-2013, 06:46 PM   #853
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

I was checking out my breakfast and with just hwc in coffee they've been avging around 8-900 calories, i could always just eat a tablespoon of coconut oil!

Quote:
You're welcome

Alright this sounds good, today:

this morning i weighed 324 even. Scale says 147.8lb lean mass, but i suspect thats b.s.

breakfast - coffee w/ hwc, 4 bacon, 2 eggs, 4 tbls sour cream
lunch - chicken drumstick, babaghanoush, cream cheese, pepperoni, 1 pickled egg (these things are gross, im never eating one again)
dinner - 8 jalapenos stuffed with chopped bacon, lots of cream cheese and cheese mix
snacks - 2 protein shakes, 1 after workout, 1 after dinner

2489cal - 153g protein, 70/25/5

finished for the day unless i can find some fat to eat, but im stuffed

Will weigh tmrw and measure
Old 02-24-2013, 03:18 AM   #854
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
The reason I think 3000 calories is appropriate for you as a start point is that at your current weight you are burning around 5000 calories a day. Even if that is off by 1000, if you begin with a target of 3000 calories you'll have a thousand calorie deficit which is a great place to start. And that isn't counting the work out caloric expenditure (which is fuzzy).
red just curious, what site says i burn 5k per day? cuz the site im tracking on and the KC both say roughly 2950-3k per day ? I know that you cant truly trust one of these things because we're all different, with different metabolisms etc - but just wondering
Old 02-24-2013, 04:37 AM   #855
Major LCF Poster!

Weighin this am 158.5

You guys are killinme. Talkin bout how hard it is to get in enough calories
Poor things. It must be awful to be 6 foot and get to eat all that food.

Red I never thought of measuring forearms. I totally noticed my forarms changing a lot. I guess cause they are always right in front of me but I never measured them I have lost .5 inch on my neck which surprised me cause I already had a skinny neck, with a dang goiter in it.

Thanks for the video.

Last edited by Clueless; 02-24-2013 at 04:40 AM..
Old 02-24-2013, 04:38 AM   #856
Senior LCF Member

Hi Myles, I'm not sure what site Red uses, but that keto calculator generates BMR numbers-- basically the number of calories you'd be burning even if you were in a coma.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:35 AM   #857
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001

Good Morning to all, welcome to all the new faces too! I have been AWOL and am checking in to see how everyone is doing? I haven't caught up on the thread, but read here and there prior to falling asleep at the computer last night? That's really the sign you should just sleep!

Heading back in to work this morning, it's been a very rough few weeks. Lots of sick people, lots of government auditors attempting to destroy health care! They are literally telling physicians how to practice medicine, even if you aren't on a government plan -- yet. FYI, if we think this is bad now, wait until Jan 2014.

DD2 is really struggling with her Celiac dx; we have had to nearly fit-throw to get her doc to listen and help. Will be finding a new one that specializes in this for medications. Put her on bendaryl 24 hr day and that finally setted it for going on three days now. For those who are Celiac, or gluten-free 100%, any ideas on the best simple foods to pack around to avoid the "two hour barf/run thru you" syndrome? We found her medications had gluten, even the BCP. There really needs to be a campaign to label everything better, and stop those insane chemical names that really mean "wheat"!!!

I am still working in the moderate fat, moderate protein, and low carb world for me....which is around 50 c most days -- high fat killed tummy. I have arrived back at my weight from last summer, which I will now call "goal" because I am tired of trying to get this 51 yo to think she will be at a pre-meno state easily. So this will now be a maintenance and health challenge. I am still eating when hungry (saw that post Darin, blue bell isn't on the list for eating options!!!)....and find that as long as I eat something in the evening, even if not hungry, I saw the scale go down, or stay the same. I guess, when I stopped paying so much attention to the food, it was put in place.

There are some very new interesting articles on low carb meat eaters out there, I will find them and see what of interest we can share. Apparently we are the healthiest folks! Biggest "of interest" in my skim of them was "get off soy, and bad oils", vary diet so your body doesn't adapt, and keep some fresh veggies in." I realize we all do NK or LC differently, but may be some answers in the old science to new world.

have a great day! ct
Old 02-24-2013, 06:38 AM   #858
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
red just curious, what site says i burn 5k per day? cuz the site im tracking on and the KC both say roughly 2950-3k per day ? I know that you cant truly trust one of these things because we're all different, with different metabolisms etc - but just wondering
It is Phinney's formula:

30-35cals * kg_weight
(325/2.2)*35 = 5170

From page 207 of The Art and Science of Low Carb Living:

"As an aside, the casual reader might protest that these energy expenditure numbers look pretty high. But for anyone that has worked with obese humans in a metabolic research ward, 30kcal per kg of actual body weight in the sedentary obese and 35 kcal/kg in the post-obese moderately active adult are actually quite conservative expenditure values."

You are obese but you are not sedentary so I used the 35cal/kg number to get to 5000.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:52 AM   #859
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post

Good Morning to all, welcome to all the new faces too! I have been AWOL and am checking in to see how everyone is doing? I haven't caught up on the thread, but read here and there prior to falling asleep at the computer last night? That's really the sign you should just sleep!

Heading back in to work this morning, it's been a very rough few weeks. Lots of sick people, lots of government auditors attempting to destroy health care! They are literally telling physicians how to practice medicine, even if you aren't on a government plan -- yet. FYI, if we think this is bad now, wait until Jan 2014.

DD2 is really struggling with her Celiac dx; we have had to nearly fit-throw to get her doc to listen and help. Will be finding a new one that specializes in this for medications. Put her on bendaryl 24 hr day and that finally setted it for going on three days now. For those who are Celiac, or gluten-free 100%, any ideas on the best simple foods to pack around to avoid the "two hour barf/run thru you" syndrome? We found her medications had gluten, even the BCP. There really needs to be a campaign to label everything better, and stop those insane chemical names that really mean "wheat"!!!

I am still working in the moderate fat, moderate protein, and low carb world for me....which is around 50 c most days -- high fat killed tummy. I have arrived back at my weight from last summer, which I will now call "goal" because I am tired of trying to get this 51 yo to think she will be at a pre-meno state easily. So this will now be a maintenance and health challenge. I am still eating when hungry (saw that post Darin, blue bell isn't on the list for eating options!!!)....and find that as long as I eat something in the evening, even if not hungry, I saw the scale go down, or stay the same. I guess, when I stopped paying so much attention to the food, it was put in place.

There are some very new interesting articles on low carb meat eaters out there, I will find them and see what of interest we can share. Apparently we are the healthiest folks! Biggest "of interest" in my skim of them was "get off soy, and bad oils", vary diet so your body doesn't adapt, and keep some fresh veggies in." I realize we all do NK or LC differently, but may be some answers in the old science to new world.

have a great day! ct
Hi ct! Welcome back

There is a lot of support for Celiacs on the internet. I can't recommend any sites off hand but I've browsed them to check on wheat/gluten in stuff before. I'm sure there is a list of knowledgeable docs at one of those sites. And there should be sites for crosschecking medications for gluten for Celiacs.

One of the best aspects of LC is that 'overchartweight' does not mean 'unhealthy' like it so often means with woes that are unhealthy right out of the gate. And, although I refer to the charts a lot, they are not real life or even realistic some times.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:53 AM   #860
Major LCF Poster!

CT
Are they sure that DD doesn't have others allergies along with celiacs?
Modifies food starc is an iffie one. Supposed to be GF but I do not think it always is.
I got hold of some chex cereals before going LC that I thought was gonna kill me. They were clearly labeled GF but boy oh boy they were NOT!

I saw an article about a 3 yr old the was allergic to everything but 1 formula. They repackaged the formula, swore that only the parkaging had changed and lo and behold it makes him sick. His parents have stocked up on the old packages but don't know what he will eat when this stuff is gone. There is a lot of lying going on about what is in the stuff we consume.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:54 AM   #861
Blabbermouth!!!

Weigh-in Feb 14, 2013

Weigh-in this morning ... 200.3.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:02 AM   #862
Senior LCF Member

So close, Red. Hi ct, nice to see you posting.

Just dropped $240 at the grocery store stocking the house for the week (weeks? maybe..)... London broil was on sale so bought a huge 5 pound hunk of it... the sailor wants to use it to make beef jerky.

Atkins meals were BOGO at Publix, so I got about 10 of them. 2 bucks a piece.

Also, nuts are so dang expensive.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:04 AM   #863
Blabbermouth!!!

I was listening to the Jimmy Moore podcast with Dr. Julia Ross just now ('Dr. Julia Ross jimmy moore atlcx 19').

Here is what is being said at 24:35 ---

JM: "One thing I have found personally that has helped me is getting adequate amounts of fat in my diet. I think a lot of people when they start a low carb diet and they're brand new and they have never really heard about the high fat aspect of it. They neglect the fat Julia, and they think, 'oh well if low carb is good a low fat version of it must be better'. And that is a great way to doom it really fast".

Dr. Ross: "Doom it, that's right! Because now you are back to low calorie. And low calorie is starvation. Low calorie causes rebound weight gain. Rebound cravings. It is just a disaster area. But it is very hard for people to deprogram themselves from that dieting mentality. 'Hey the less the better. If protein will hold us and we can do without the carbs, lets get rid of the fat too'."

Indeed.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:05 AM   #864
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
So close, Red.
My body is messing with me heh. I'll probably have a 15 pound bounce in the morning
Old 02-24-2013, 08:12 AM   #865
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Hang in there Red!,. I gained 1 lb those nuts....
Old 02-24-2013, 09:39 AM   #866
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
I'm craving food dont no why!!
Old 02-24-2013, 09:45 AM   #867
Blabbermouth!!!

Eat fat Becky!!
Old 02-24-2013, 10:29 AM   #868
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: amandacj08
Quote:
Also, nuts are so dang expensive.
You are not lying! I bought some macadamia nuts the other day and they were $10 for what will probably only last me less than a week. Although, I find that I like them SO much I cannot stop at 1 oz....when I eat them I end up eating at least 2 - 2 1/2 oz .

Red - *so* close!

I did really good yesterday - kept my carbs low hit my protein right on and fat high, and I"m down another 1lb to 192.8. I know this is probably that induction weightloss effect, but I'm just so happy to see the scale moving again.

Have you guys ever tried the pw steak bites? That is what we had for dinner last night. SO good, and the whole family loves them. We also had broiled asparagus in garlic butter. For lunch, I did something I'd seen on another site and pulled about 3 oz of chicken off the bone, and mixed it with 1 tablespoon of mayo and 1/2 a small avocado. SO yummy and filling!

Last edited by amandacj08; 02-24-2013 at 10:30 AM..
Old 02-24-2013, 10:43 AM   #869
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandacj08 View Post
You are not lying! I bought some macadamia nuts the other day and they were $10 for what will probably only last me less than a week. Although, I find that I like them SO much I cannot stop at 1 oz....when I eat them I end up eating at least 2 - 2 1/2 oz .

Red - *so* close!

I did really good yesterday - kept my carbs low hit my protein right on and fat high, and I"m down another 1lb to 192.8. I know this is probably that induction weightloss effect, but I'm just so happy to see the scale moving again.

Have you guys ever tried the pw steak bites? That is what we had for dinner last night. SO good, and the whole family loves them. We also had broiled asparagus in garlic butter. For lunch, I did something I'd seen on another site and pulled about 3 oz of chicken off the bone, and mixed it with 1 tablespoon of mayo and 1/2 a small avocado. SO yummy and filling!
Congrats Amanda!!!

I really like the Pioneer Woman's site

I haven't been out to it in a long time though. Those steak bites look incredibly awesome and so easy to fix!! I'm gonna try them next time I get a chance.

I love almonds but I have a real self control problem with them so I don't keep any in the house.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:47 AM   #870
Senior LCF Member

Are they like Steak-Umms? I like to mix up 2 or 3 of those with some roasted red peppers and provolone.. pretty high fat.

And being from right outside the Philadelphia area, one of my most missed foods is real Philly cheesesteaks. THE BEST.
Closed Thread