Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2013, 10:24 AM   #811
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by amandacj08 View Post
I'm new here..although I've been following a low carb diet for over a year, with all of the opinions out there I think I got away from the NK principles which is what made me believe in this WOE in the first place. So instead of figuring it out alone, I thought I should become an active member and give and receive support...so here I am.

Yesterday I upped my fat only ate about 75 g of protein carbs were a little higher than I wanted, but I'm headed to the store today so that I am armed with the right foods. Annnnnd....I'm down 1 lb from yesterday!! It's probably water weight, but heck, I'll take it!

I'm going to read back into the thread some to learn about fat bombs and this yummy fried cabbage that has been mentioned.

Funny aside: my 5 year old daughter just walked up and asked "why does this guy look constipated?"
Welcome to our thread!

Congrats on the loss!!!

By all means, read through the thread. Fat Bombs come in a lot of varieties and there are a ton of posts about them in a lot of threads. I don't think we have talked about the recipe for them here very much but you can use the "Search" feature to search all of LCF for recipes. Be sure to select the 'posts' option so you can see the actual post where the fat bomb is mentioned.

My recipe is pretty simple. I haven't made them in a while but I think it was 2 or 3 TBS CO, 1 TBS cocoa and some torani SF.

Are you new to CO? Go easy on it till you get used to it or you'll be trapped in the bathroom for a while. It can have that effect when you first start eating it. It can even make you feel a bit nauseous. But once your body is acclimated you can eat a whole lot with no problem. I eat 3 to 4 oz a day usually.

<---- This is the look the baby had when Kirstie Alley said, "No, he is just thinking real hard".

Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2013, 11:08 AM   #812
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: amandacj08
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzcase View Post
Hey everyone, what are your thoughts on low carb diets (especially NK) and reduced T3? Been reading alot of posts on a Primal forum about it..
This is one of the topics that has had me in distress lately...I was wondering if my stall could have been for this reason. Since I am already hypothyroid, I am very interested to see what everyone's opinion is on this.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:25 AM   #813
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 20, 2012
Hey Amanda, I am just lightly reading into this and taking it with a grain of salt. I think the main thing with eating HF for so many people is that it is so satiating, it is difficult to eat that many calories. I was having trouble getting to 1200 most days. With ANY type of calorie-restricted diet, T3 levels go down (from what I've read), so I think LC diets are getting an unfair amount of hype given that many times that end up being calorie restricted.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:26 AM   #814
Senior LCF Member

Also read something about spinach and kale having some kind of effect on hormone levels. I don't know, but in my personal opinion, the effects of eating spinach for me are about the same as drinking a gallon of bleach.. I get fatigued, constipated, short of breath, and stop losing weight.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:43 AM   #815
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Weigh-in this morning ... 200.5

OMgosh that is so exciting!!!
Won't be long now!!
Old 02-23-2013, 11:52 AM   #816
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Good for you, Cheryl! Just think, when you're losing inches and not weight, you KNOW thats fat loss, and you're preserving that precious LBM. So happy for you!
Thanks

Quote:
Scale losses are a feel good thing, inches lost are a woohoo I'm melting and kicking butt screw you scale thing heh

Great job Cheryl!!!

What about a more upscale resale shop? There is one in the metroplex called "Tuesday's" I think. Or even Craig's List?
Thanks I am gonna look around, not too many places around here. May have to travel a little

Quote:
I know!!! I checked it 4 times in two different spots on the floor lol. Got my finger's crossed for under 200 by Monday morning's weigh-in
I have done that

Quote:
That is awesome! 3.5 inches is great progress for 1 month!

Thanks
You guys are so great.
I appreciate all the support you get on this thread!
We went shopping and I tried on 4 pairs of size 10 jeans. They all fit, so it wasn't a fluke. Usually at this weight I would not fit into a 10. I was in 14 and some 16's in Sept. That really makes me think that you preserve more lean body mass on LC.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:57 AM   #817
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
That is awesome! 3.5 inches is great progress for 1 month!

I'm new here..although I've been following a low carb diet for over a year, with all of the opinions out there I think I got away from the NK principles which is what made me believe in this WOE in the first place. So instead of figuring it out alone, I thought I should become an active member and give and receive support...so here I am.

Yesterday I upped my fat only ate about 75 g of protein carbs were a little higher than I wanted, but I'm headed to the store today so that I am armed with the right foods. Annnnnd....I'm down 1 lb from yesterday!! It's probably water weight, but heck, I'll take it!

I'm going to read back into the thread some to learn about fat bombs and this yummy fried cabbage that has been mentioned.

Funny aside: my 5 year old daughter just walked up and asked "why does this guy look constipated?"
So Glad you joined us!

Great job om the loss already!
Your daughter sounds wise beyond her years
Old 02-23-2013, 01:07 PM   #818
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Phew! Caught up on my reading.

Quote:
Another pathetic day appetite wise. I've decided not to track my macros or calories because I was getting way too neurotic with it, and I didn't like the way my head was working..
I totally get this way sometimes. Stepping back is probably wise, but hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumasatus View Post
My daughter's company is really pretty cool.
That does sound really cool! Sounds like you and she have a really great thing going!

Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
Red thats funny!!cant help he tall and I'm short..he is 6 I'm 5'1 I've always said if I could get taller I would not have to lose weight!!
That's a great pic! When I looked at it before seeing this I thought, "they have to be farther apart in height than me and dh," but we are 5'0" and 6'0". lol I'll have to remember to make sure I'm standing on a curb myself when we're photographed.

Quote:
That's good on the inches...I read we're when we lost weight our fat packets can store water in there..then we lose it all at once...
Interesting! I guess that explains the "woosh".

Quote:
Weigh-in this morning ... 200.5
OMGosh, I'm holding my breath!

Quote:
Also read something about spinach and kale having some kind of effect on hormone levels. I don't know, but in my personal opinion, the effects of eating spinach for me are about the same as drinking a gallon of bleach.. I get fatigued, constipated, short of breath, and stop losing weight.
This gives me a good reason not to feel like I have to eat spinach. I hate the way it feels on my teeth.

So I have a couple of pieces of good news to report. I am officially having a woosh after that 14 days of bouncing between 188.4 and 187.6. This is the last few days:

186.8 --- 186.0 --- 186.0 --- 185.4 --- 184.0

What a relief! I had a feeling there'd be a woosh at some point, but scared it wouldn't happen. This will give me more hope the next time I sit still for a couple of weeks.

The other thing is that I was reading a blog about diabetes research and apparently the scientists have a technical definition of "remission" of type I that is not very intuitive, but according to this definition, I am actually in remission. In fact, I am currently using half as much insulin as I could be to still be in remission. I think that's kinda cool, but I also still feel like I am a full fledged type I.

And I wanted to mention since this question comes up once in a while. I really really think it is not a good idea to eat all of your protein at one meal. I have done that twice in the last week or so, mostly bc I was busy all day and then only really had time for one meal. And both times I ended up using about twice as much insulin to cover that protein as I would have if it was broken up into two meals. I bet that you guys who make your own insulin also have to secrete more per g of protein if it's all at once, though probably not as much as me (with me, I don't do enough, then blood sugar goes high, then I need to bring that down which actually takes more insulin than if I had guessed the dose right to begin with -- but healthy bodies would of course get the dose right on the first try).

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb
once a day feeding
Old 02-23-2013, 01:35 PM   #819
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
So I have a couple of pieces of good news to report. I am officially having a woosh after that 14 days of bouncing between 188.4 and 187.6. This is the last few days:

Jayne!! AWESOME!!!

Old 02-23-2013, 01:52 PM   #820
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post

What a relief! I had a feeling there'd be a woosh at some point, but scared it wouldn't happen. This will give me more hope the next time I sit still for a couple of weeks.

The other thing is that I was reading a blog about diabetes research and apparently the scientists have a technical definition of "remission" of type I that is not very intuitive, but according to this definition, I am actually in remission. In fact, I am currently using half as much insulin as I could be to still be in remission. I think that's kinda cool, but I also still feel like I am a full fledged type I.

And I wanted to mention since this question comes up once in a while. I really really think it is not a good idea to eat all of your protein at one meal. I have done that twice in the last week or so, mostly bc I was busy all day and then only really had time for one meal. And both times I ended up using about twice as much insulin to cover that protein as I would have if it was broken up into two meals. I bet that you guys who make your own insulin also have to secrete more per g of protein if it's all at once, though probably not as much as me (with me, I don't do enough, then blood sugar goes high, then I need to bring that down which actually takes more insulin than if I had guessed the dose right to begin with -- but healthy bodies would of course get the dose right on the first try).
Wow! Congrats Jayne!!!

And, congrats on the great news about your remission!

Yeah, the insulin zap from eating a huge amount of protein at one time bugs me and I am not diabetic. I try hard to spread mine out even though I am not certain that it would be a problem for me.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:36 PM   #821
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Thanks, guys!

I'm kinda bummed about that protein thing. I would like to, every once in a while, have a big whopping meal rather than a couple of small ones. I ended up here bc I LIKE TO EAT. I think I will probably let myself do it once in a while, but probably not a couple of times a week. Better to have a too big protein meal once in a while and feel satisfied than to run out and have something really dreadful.

And speaking of something really dreadful, I must tell you what I just ate. I melted 2 T of kerrygold, poured in some cinnamon and then tossed 2 servings (90 cals each) of pork rinds in it, then sprinkled truvia over the top. Woo hoo! Better than cinnamon toast!

Anyhow, I'm not sure about these pork rinds. I definitely think they can be an every once in a while treat. I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with them. I just cannot figure out how to count them, is the problem. And, I don't want to use up any protein grams on them.

So, in another thread it was kind of established that although they have protein, it is not protein that we can digest or absorb or something bc it is like pig skin or hair or some such (YUM) that is just not digestible. This was written on someone's pork rind bag (in not so many words). My bag says 10 g of protein per serving and then next to it, "not a significant source of protein". Now, I have cheeses that say 7 g of pro per serv, but they don't say that, so I'm guessing it means *something* other than 10 g isn't significant.

On the nutritional panel thing it says 90 calories, 5 g fat, 10 g protein, 0 carb. I kind of feel like *either* they must really have 45 cals or we really need to count that protein (or maybe some portion of the protein should count).

But I know me and I would only really be happy to eat these 2 servings at a time. If I feel like I need to count that as 20 g of protein, eh, I'm not so interested. I would rather have some real food, yk?

OTOH, I would feel comfortable picking up a bag at the gas station if I was feeling overly tempted to have some off plan food or if I was starving. They're actually pretty filling.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:48 PM   #822
Senior LCF Member

Getting back into strict NK tomorrow.. its been a relaxing week not tracking, but now that I'm starting to feel better, I'm getting anxious about my macros.

I'm currently weighing around 128, but I FEEL great and I reckon I've put on about 5-6 pounds of muscle in the last 2 months since I started working out. My body looks different, especially around my waist. My abs are super tight and I think if I lose about 10 pounds I'll have enough definition to show at least 4 abs lol.. I've always had 6 packs when I get down to about 110-115 without ever working out, so I think with working out 3x a week, they should be showing around 120.

One last meal out tonight (pho, with lots of sriracha to clear out my sinuses), then back on the wagon tomorrow. Coffee w/HWC and a casein protein shake to kick off the day.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:56 PM   #823
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Cheryl 10 that's great we are the same size...my goal is 6-8 i ll be happy!!
Old 02-23-2013, 03:30 PM   #824
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: zgirl
Everyone is doing so well! I love reading all the good news.

Congrats Jayne on the whoosh AND the remission - that is fantastic! Proof that NK is not just some fad "diet," but actually a road to better health.

And Cheryl - size 10 and so many inches down... you know what you could do about the clothes shopping? Go to stores and try on anything you like, then remember the item brand and name and search for it on eBay! Then you get the thrill of finding good deals, bidding, and getting the item you want. I've gotten brand new stuff for less than 50% of the retail price! Worth a shot?

Becky - I am loving all the pictures of you. You're so tanned and glowing Congrats on the losses too.

Darin - movin' on down! Eat pork tonight! It'll happen tomorrow!

Casey - I admire you for taking a week off tracking. It helps put things in perspective. I'm super jealous of your pho... enjoy every bite! Congrats on finishing your exams too, btw.

Welcome Goolash and Amanda! I'm zgirl and I'm still learning a lot myself. Keep asking questions because there are some very knowledgeable and friendly people on this thread, as you've already discovered
Old 02-23-2013, 03:35 PM   #825
Senior LCF Member

Jayne, just read through your post. Congrats on the remission of diabetes. Isn't it amazing what low-carb (in general) can do for you? I don't trust our authorities or any advocators of the SAD either.. they are somehow connected with big pharma and can you imagine how much money THEY would lose if everyone adopted low and no longer needed meds for diabetes, cancer, high blood pressure, etc? I'm afraid it will never happen.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:58 PM   #826
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Myles
Quote:
What is your frame size Myles? This link tells you how to check it.

How many hours a week do you exercise? How much per day? Do you hit it hard for that time period or is it less intense? How long have you been working out? Weeks, months, all your life? Why are you working out?

How were you eating before you started tracking again on Monday? LC? NK? Carbing it up?

You probably need to keep your calories closer to 3000 to start though. Maybe even a bit higher. Protein is a bit low on two of the days and plunging to the earth in flames on that off day. Probably your protein should start around 150g a day. Dunno how you are working out so I am not sure that you really need more on those days.

As a P.S. so I don't forget to mention it, be mindful of the quality of fat you are eating. Avoid PUFAs. That usually means avoid fatty commercial products like mayo, for example, because it is made with soy oil or canola oil.
Hi Red, thx for making me answer these questions, hopefully my answers will help. my wrist is 7.1 - so according to that link "medium" although ive always thought of myself as bigger even when i had lost all my fat before.

I work out every 2nd day, so 3-4 times per week. I do weight training only, on a machine mostly, complete body, about 3 exercises per muscle group - 3-5 reps per exercise, 8-10 reps per set. I have only been doing it since Jan 21st and i had a period of 11 days, then 13 days where on sales trips i wasn't able to work out. Now that i've gotten the hang of it, it takes me 30-45 minutes to work out until my muscles are too exhausted to do more. I'm working out pretty intensely and move from exercise to exercise with little to no rest between them. I'm working out to try and gain strength, lose fat, and hopefully gain some muscle in the process. Since jan 21st ive been able to increase the weights from 10-20 lbs for most exercises, so i feel like im making some progress.

Before i started re-tracking on monday i had been doing Low carb (higher protein) since June 25th 2012 and have basically gone off and on. For example i stuck to it for a month, and when i wasnt seeing results, i did something dumb and went off for a few days, then back on. The week before i started re-tracking monday i had eaten 90% low carb with 2 cheat meals while i was in halifax. Before that for around 3-4 weeks i had attempted Cyclic ketogenic where i would eat low carb during the week while i was working out 3-4 times per week, and then higher carb on the weekends, and before THAT, i was trying NK where i really increased the fat and lowered the protein.

Eat more? I like hearing that lol! I am certainly not eating and still hungry or anything, and sometimes im full on what ive been eating so i cant imagine eating more, but im willing to try haha!

Damn i knew soy oil was bad but i didnt know canola oil was. I dont eat a TONNE of mayo, i get my fats from things like HWC, Coconut Oil, Sour cream, cream cheese, regular cheese, olive oil ...mostly. I did have tuna one of those days with mayo..i better be careful i didnt know about the mayo

Thx again for answering me, i appreciate your help
Old 02-23-2013, 03:59 PM   #827
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Hey everyone, what are your thoughts on low carb diets (especially NK) and reduced T3? Been reading alot of posts on a Primal forum about it..
Not going to lie - no idea what this means.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:01 PM   #828
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post

Congratulations! thats awesome!
Old 02-23-2013, 04:11 PM   #829
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: zgirl
In light of everyone's success, this is going to sound nonsensical and whiny. Lately I've just been feeling a little tired of my food... the way it feels in my mouth, the way it tastes. I used to eat very low and no red meat, even vegetarian for a bit, and even though I know that WOE wasn't right and messed up my metabolism and body functions, I sometimes find myself longing for those foods again. It's not even like sweets or carb cravings per se, but just a plain 0% Greek yogurt... an apple for snack...tuna with just lemon juice and herbs... veggies with hummus. I'm wishing for "clean" foods, whereas everything I eat now is loaded with some fatty dip or sauce. Haha I just thought of a lame one... I'm FAT-igued.

Ugh I'm sorry! Thank you for putting up with this little whinge. Somebody talk some sense into me? Maybe I just need to go out and eat some bacon
Old 02-23-2013, 04:12 PM   #830
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goolash View Post
Quote:
She is talking about that awful incredibly stupid Terminator Salvation movie. You didn't see a lot of gardens in post apocalyptic America did you? No fatties in the future where NK is the norm. In short, that movie reduced the value of the franchise by a bajillion percent. Granted, Rein of Fire was far stupider but that is no excuse.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:13 PM   #831
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgirl View Post
In light of everyone's success, this is going to sound nonsensical and whiny. Lately I've just been feeling a little tired of my food... the way it feels in my mouth, the way it tastes. I used to eat very low and no red meat, even vegetarian for a bit, and even though I know that WOE wasn't right and messed up my metabolism and body functions, I sometimes find myself longing for those foods again. It's not even like sweets or carb cravings per se, but just a plain 0% Greek yogurt... an apple for snack...tuna with just lemon juice and herbs... veggies with hummus. I'm wishing for "clean" foods, whereas everything I eat now is loaded with some fatty dip or sauce. Haha I just thought of a lame one... I'm FAT-igued.

Ugh I'm sorry! Thank you for putting up with this little whinge. Somebody talk some sense into me? Maybe I just need to go out and eat some bacon
Bacon

Maybe you can find some Linda Sue recipes that recreate some of the foods you are craving as healthy LC foods?
Old 02-23-2013, 04:15 PM   #832
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Cheryl 10 that's great we are the same size...my goal is 6-8 i ll be happy!!
Woot woot, 6/ would be awesome! Love that pic!

Quote:
Everyone is doing so well! I love reading all the good news.

Congrats Jayne on the whoosh AND the remission - that is fantastic! Proof that NK is not just some fad "diet," but actually a road to better health.

And Cheryl - size 10 and so many inches down... you know what you could do about the clothes shopping? Go to stores and try on anything you like, then remember the item brand and name and search for it on eBay! Then you get the thrill of finding good deals, bidding, and getting the item you want. I've gotten brand new stuff for less than 50% of the retail price! Worth a shot?

Becky - I am loving all the pictures of you. You're so tanned and glowing Congrats on the losses too.

Darin - movin' on down! Eat pork tonight! It'll happen tomorrow!

Casey - I admire you for taking a week off tracking. It helps put things in perspective. I'm super jealous of your pho... enjoy every bite! Congrats on finishing your exams too, btw.

Welcome Goolash and Amanda! I'm zgirl and I'm still learning a lot myself. Keep asking questions because there are some very knowledgeable and friendly people on this thread, as you've already discovered
OMGosh that is such a great idea about the clothes.

Quote:
Jayne, just read through your post. Congrats on the remission of diabetes. Isn't it amazing what low-carb (in general) can do for you? I don't trust our authorities or any advocators of the SAD either.. they are somehow connected with big pharma and can you imagine how much money THEY would lose if everyone adopted low and no longer needed meds for diabetes, cancer, high blood pressure, etc? I'm afraid it will never happen.
Amen sista!!!!I shoulda added NK to that list of cure alls

Congrats on the remission Jayne. Amazing!

When I am in NK I do not have asthma attacks! NK is amazing. If I am just doing LC I still have them but not when NK. I can tell the difference. My heart rate is still lower too, by alost 20 bpm sometimes . Not so much in LC but it is in NK.

Darin, my mom and dad use kerosene for everything. I jeep a mason jar of it in my medicine cabinet. I read people actullay took a tesaoon a day and cured cancer but I am afrai to take it internally. My granpa kept it in a spray bottle to and used it for sore throats.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:18 PM   #833
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
She is talking about that awful incredibly stupid Terminator Salvation movie. You didn't see a lot of gardens in post apocalyptic America did you? No fatties in the future where NK is the norm. In short, that movie reduced the value of the franchise by a bajillion percent. Granted, Rein of Fire was far stupider but that is no excuse.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:52 PM   #834
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Myles, its the active part of the thyroid hormone and it regulates cell metabolism.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:03 PM   #835
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

OMG, plain 0% greek yogurt, I miss it so much too! I haven't found a perfect substitute for that, but I will get 2% Fage (omg, so creamy) and just make some room for it in my daily carb count.. I think its better than 0% anyway. Also, there is absolutely nothing wrong with lean proteins with just a bit of olive oil, lemon, and herbs. Some days, I'll go overboard on clean proteins (about 100g instead of 75g), but if I limit those days to 1 a week or so, I won't gain weight from it. Sometimes, its contributed to a loss the next morning.

This way of eating needs to be tailored to a way that maximizes enjoyment for you individually, or you won't be able to sustain it (and I mean that as a general you).

I listen to my body and give it what it wants.. if you noticed, this past week I was off track every single day, eating upwards of 75g carbs a day (fruit, Larabars, pad thai, etc)..I felt like a needed a solid week or so of not counting and not watching carbs because I felt so burnt out and has been unable to stick to a solid week or two or NK without cheating and falling face first into frozen yogurt. I felt like somewhere along the way I had lost my hunger cues and was eating all my food even if I wasn't hungry cause I had already logged it..

So I took a week off. Do what you gotta do. I ate when I was hungry, I didn't eat when I wasn't. I drank black coffee in the morning and sometimes only ate a few HB eggs all day. Granted, I had a headcold all week, but I still listened to my body. Despite the (omg evil) grains and sugars and carbs I consumed all week, I didn't gain any weight. And now I feel refreshed and ready to meticiulously track and eat perfectly on plan.

Do what you need to do to make this diet sustainable, even if you need a break for a week or 2 to get everything you want out of your system.

PS: I like my casein protein shakes because even though I add that coconut oil, they feel wonderfully light to me.

Quote:
LOL, no Darin.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:05 PM   #836
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Hi Red, thx for making me answer these questions, hopefully my answers will help. my wrist is 7.1 - so according to that link "medium" although ive always thought of myself as bigger even when i had lost all my fat before.

I work out every 2nd day, so 3-4 times per week. I do weight training only, on a machine mostly, complete body, about 3 exercises per muscle group - 3-5 reps per exercise, 8-10 reps per set. I have only been doing it since Jan 21st and i had a period of 11 days, then 13 days where on sales trips i wasn't able to work out. Now that i've gotten the hang of it, it takes me 30-45 minutes to work out until my muscles are too exhausted to do more. I'm working out pretty intensely and move from exercise to exercise with little to no rest between them. I'm working out to try and gain strength, lose fat, and hopefully gain some muscle in the process. Since jan 21st ive been able to increase the weights from 10-20 lbs for most exercises, so i feel like im making some progress.

Before i started re-tracking on monday i had been doing Low carb (higher protein) since June 25th 2012 and have basically gone off and on. For example i stuck to it for a month, and when i wasnt seeing results, i did something dumb and went off for a few days, then back on. The week before i started re-tracking monday i had eaten 90% low carb with 2 cheat meals while i was in halifax. Before that for around 3-4 weeks i had attempted Cyclic ketogenic where i would eat low carb during the week while i was working out 3-4 times per week, and then higher carb on the weekends, and before THAT, i was trying NK where i really increased the fat and lowered the protein.

Eat more? I like hearing that lol! I am certainly not eating and still hungry or anything, and sometimes im full on what ive been eating so i cant imagine eating more, but im willing to try haha!

Damn i knew soy oil was bad but i didnt know canola oil was. I dont eat a TONNE of mayo, i get my fats from things like HWC, Coconut Oil, Sour cream, cream cheese, regular cheese, olive oil ...mostly. I did have tuna one of those days with mayo..i better be careful i didnt know about the mayo

Thx again for answering me, i appreciate your help
Okay. Some things to keep in mind about working out. It can hide losses on the scale. That means that you need to get a tape measure and start measuring yourself. Keep a record of the measurements. Do the scale too if you like but the tape measure will probably be the most reliable tool for monitoring BF loss.

It sounds like you are doing a total of maybe 4 hours a week. That is fine. Keep it under an hour a day and less than 10 to 14 a week. Consider the 10 hour mark a warning flag. Too much exercise in a week or day can result in a significantly lower resting metabolism.

I do not work out but you might look into Slow Burn if you haven't already.

At 7.1 you probably are medium framed. You might recheck it after you've lost significant weight. When you are closer to goal and it is still 7.1 I'd consider that to be straddling the line which means the range of weights from either category might look good on you. Reference charts are just generic data at any rate.

If you continue to work out keep in mind that over time you are adding heavy muscle tissue (and other LBM) so your real goal weight may need to be adjusted to reflect that.

You are currently 325.

The reason I think 3000 calories is appropriate for you as a start point is that at your current weight you are burning around 5000 calories a day. Even if that is off by 1000, if you begin with a target of 3000 calories you'll have a thousand calorie deficit which is a great place to start. And that isn't counting the work out caloric expenditure (which is fuzzy).

If you eat 150g of protein a day that is only 600 calories of protein.

If you eat 30g of total carbs a day that is only 120 calories of protein a day.

That leaves (3000-720) about 2200 fat calories or 250ish grams of fat a day.

Your macros would be close to 73/20/4.

Even if you bump your protein grams up to 175g a day your macros will still be very close - 72/23/4.

You've got a bit of weight to lose so the thing to keep in mind is caloric deficit. Too much of a gap can make it hard to lose weight. As you lose weight you will need to adjust your daily calories downwards but not for a long while weight-wise. Watch out for dropping, say, 50 pounds but being in the habit of eating to lose as a 325 pound guy.

It is possible that you need a lower calorie goal to lose weight but the best thing to do is start high and work your way down to find the right mark. Give 3000 a week or two of eating on plan, hitting your protein goals and keeping carbs low. Weigh daily if you like and you are sure you can keep a poker face with a bad scale reading. Measure yourself for sanity.

Don't mess this carb cycling, CKD, or other niche ways of eating. You aren't an Olympic athlete and you have a job that makes that sort of thing harder than it already is. At this point it is just another vector of failure.

Protein is moderate with NK. Keep that in mind and don't go overboard on protein even on work out days. It is insulinogenic. Excess protein cannot be saved up by the body.

Lots of LC'rs really pig out on mayo because it is perfect for LC. A little of the commercial stuff now and then isn't going to be a problem. But commercial mayo with few exceptions is a bad source of fat for LC. Not to mention the other bad things about soy in general.

Don't get trapped by the natural appetite suppression of ketogenic eating. Keep an eye on your calories and be mindful of allowing them to get too low and stall you.

The thing about caloric deficits is that outside of broad parameters they are very much an individual thing. One person may actually be fine at a 2000 calorie deficit while the next person stalls or gains on a 1500 deficit.

I *think* at 3000 you'll have about a 2000 calorie deficit. The only way to know for sure is to do it, track it, measure it and assess it.

Oh, there is a guy only challenge thread you might join us on. It is sort of Spanky's clubhouse for LCF but a lot less exciting. Weekly reports on weight and exercise is the primary thing and a bit of other junk.

Boot Camp Charlie for Men - February 2013
Old 02-23-2013, 05:17 PM   #837
Blabbermouth!!!

Hmmm. I am afraid that I have to draw the line on using kerosene for sore throats.

Old 02-23-2013, 05:23 PM   #838
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
LOL, no Darin.
Ah, I see your point. You say, "But!!! Look at Batman & Robin!!! If a franchise can come back from that level of idiocy any franchise can!!!"

I say, touche! Well played MC.

Last edited by reddarin; 02-23-2013 at 05:53 PM.. Reason: Evil reasons
Old 02-23-2013, 05:31 PM   #839
Blabbermouth!!!

Food log - Feb 23, 2013

Numbers and log for today.

Calories: 2,521

Fat: 224
Pro: 103
Car: 35

78/17/5

Breakfast: Coffee, CO, HWC.
Lunch: Chicken, sour cream, cabbage and bouillon with bacon grease.
Dinner: Eggs.
Snack: Pork rinds, HWC floats.
End of Day: 1oz CO.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:47 PM   #840
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lisamt
Stats: 200/187/130
Start Date: December 2012
Food log for Saturday.
B - 3 eggs scrambled in butter, 2 turkey sausage patties. Coffee with coconut oil & hwc.
No lunch because I took a long nap.
S - fat bomb made with 85% dark chocolate, coconut oil, and unsalted butter
D - taco bowl made with ground beef, shredded cheese, guacamole, and sour cream. No lettuce because I forgot to buy any.
Calories 1325 | fat g 117 | protein 55 g | 13 g carbs, 6 g fiber. Macro ratios came out to 80/16/4.

I'm a bit low on protein today since I skipped lunch. I might drink a LC protein shake later to make up for it.
Closed Thread