Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2013, 08:43 PM   #571
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Multimama
Stats: 148/138/127
WOE: HCG/Primal
Start Date: Oct 27, 2014
Hello everyone! I'm doing my best to prepare to start following this approach next week. Feeling a little overwhelmed with the numbers, or better yet, trying to figure out what they should be.

I'm currently breastfeeding and looking forward to getting back to Crossfit next week too.
Goal weight: 125-130
Frame: 5'3, 59 wrist

I'm not sure how much I should up my calories for BF the little one, but I'm good with all those fats in my milk. Makes for better baby brain. :-)

Just wanting to tap into all of your educational resources. :-)

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2013, 09:26 PM   #572
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
Got me a motivational Playlist goin....

Unskinny Bop/ Poison

Fat Bottom Girls/ Queen

Baby Got back /Sir Mix-a-lot

Whole lotta Rosie/ AC/DC

Any Suggestion?
Who Made Who / AC/DC
White Unicorn / Wolfmother
Fire Woman / The Cult
Lack of Communication / Ratt
Keep 'Em Separated / The Offspring
Them Bones / Alice In Chains
Radioactive / The Firm
Train Train / Blackfoot
Gimmie Three Steps / Lynyrd Skynyrd
Cars / Gary Numan
Cult of Personality / Living Color
Pop Muzik / M
Fantasy / Aldo Nova

Old 02-18-2013, 09:30 PM   #573
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimama View Post
Hello everyone! I'm doing my best to prepare to start following this approach next week. Feeling a little overwhelmed with the numbers, or better yet, trying to figure out what they should be.

I'm currently breastfeeding and looking forward to getting back to Crossfit next week too.

I'm not sure how much I should up my calories for BF the little one, but I'm good with all those fats in my milk. Makes for better baby brain. :-)

Hi Welcome to our thread

Has your doc said it is okay to change how you are eating now?
Old 02-18-2013, 10:07 PM   #574
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Multimama
Stats: 148/138/127
WOE: HCG/Primal
Start Date: Oct 27, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Hi Welcome to our thread

Has your doc said it is okay to change how you are eating now?
Food is fuel and I'd rather be fueling with good food. :-) We've been eating more along the lines of primal/paleo, so pretty healthy around here. I'd just like to start tracking what I'm eating and lower my carb intake, while having some accountability.

I don't have a Dr. that I see unless it's an emergency of course. And when it comes to a food emergency, well, those could be quite dangerous. ;-)

I'm thinking I should tack on an extra 300 calories. I'll go back to do my best to refigure the math with those extra added calories. I just wanted to clarify my numbers.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:54 AM   #575
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Quote:
Who Made Who / AC/DC
White Unicorn / Wolfmother
Fire Woman / The Cult
Lack of Communication / Ratt
Keep 'Em Separated / The Offspring
Them Bones / Alice In Chains
Radioactive / The Firm
Train Train / Blackfoot
Gimmie Three Steps / Lynyrd Skynyrd
Cars / Gary Numan
Cult of Personality / Living Color
Pop Muzik / M
Fantasy / Aldo Nova

Nicely Done
Offspring is one of my favorite band.
I am aspiring to do the intro to Train Train on my harmonica. I am a ways away (I stink)
Old 02-19-2013, 03:57 AM   #576
Major LCF Poster!

Weigh in this am 159, then I fell off the scale from shock cause that was -3 lbs from Monday. Decided to get back on. 160.5 I knew better.

Becky is teaching me the wonders of eggs and no wine
I'll take it!!!

Becky, hope your first day at work was great.

Last edited by Clueless; 02-19-2013 at 04:05 AM..
Old 02-19-2013, 06:54 AM   #577
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
cherly great job just keep eating eggs.....you can do it,,,
Job was great...just paper work...they all seem to be really enjoying there job..go back tommorrow ..

Going to post new pic today..
New low for me this am 154.. I'm so ready to see 153 now
Old 02-19-2013, 07:48 AM   #578
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: erinisme
Stats: 180/170/140
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 12/12/2012
Quote:

It's been a couple of years since I was BF, but I remember the number 500 calories for breastfeeding. I was ALways hungry and lost weight within the year, but everyone is different.
How old is your baby? In my (unexpert) opinion, depending on how old your baby is, I would hold off on weight loss, for fear of lowering milk production. as, I said, I'm just offering my opinion, but if I were you I would study up on it before I did it.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:55 AM   #579
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Food is fuel and I'd rather be fueling with good food. :-) We've been eating more along the lines of primal/paleo, so pretty healthy around here. I'd just like to start tracking what I'm eating and lower my carb intake, while having some accountability.

I don't have a Dr. that I see unless it's an emergency of course. And when it comes to a food emergency, well, those could be quite dangerous. ;-)

I'm thinking I should tack on an extra 300 calories. I'll go back to do my best to refigure the math with those extra added calories. I just wanted to clarify my numbers.
Believe me when I say I want to help people that ask for help. A nursing mother's nutritional needs are unfamiliar to me and I haven't read or learned anything about how LC/NK should be modified or if it needs to be modified.

I think that you need to be real careful about calorie deficits. Establish a baseline on how much you can eat and not lose weight or how much you can eat and see a small steady gain in weight. Once you know that number you can tweak downwards a reasonably small amount to start losing weight.

From a quick google search it looks like calories being too low will affect breast milk quantity (and therefore quality).

Double check your supplement list. Are you taking any meds? Be sure to check meds against supplements.

Stay hydrated.

Keep your protein intake up.

You cannot avoid PUFA fats entirely but you should work hard to minimize them. No canola or soy oil type thing. If you are new to supplementing with coconut oil go slow at first because it can upset your stomach and make you nauseous if you eat too much at one time. But your body gets acclimated. I started with 1 tsp a day and I eat 2 to 3 oz as a supplement these days.

Don't get annoyed with overly concerned guys with red hair.

You are currently about 170. Your daily calorie burn is somewhere in the neighborhood of 2600 calories. We'll come back to this after figuring out your goal weight numbers.

Your goal weight of 125 ...

(125/2.2)*35 = 1988

(125/2.2)*2.0 = 155 grams of protein
(125/2.2)*1.5 = 116 grams of protein

116g of protein = 464 calories.

-----

1524 calories left.

40g of carbs = 160 calories

-----

1364/ (fat is 9 cals a gram) = 152 grams of fat.

So your goal weight calories should be about 2000. You are currently expending around 2600 but it could be quite a bit more than that.

How is your appetite? Don't allow the ketogenic appetite suppression allow your calories to drop too low. Remember at all times that the important thing, particularly for you, is caloric deficit. Don't stress your body. I cannot imagine that coritsol flavored milk will be tasty for the little guy or gal. Now that Bewitched has been off the air for many years it is safe to name him Darin. If your baby is a girl I cannot endorse Darinina as a name.

And... Congratulations on your beautiful new baby!!!

Old 02-19-2013, 08:07 AM   #580
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Nicely Done
Offspring is one of my favorite band.
I am aspiring to do the intro to Train Train on my harmonica. I am a ways away (I stink)
heh Train Train is such a cool song!

I was so drawing a blank on Offspring's name. My head was so full of the other songs on the list. Finally the fog cleared and I remembered part of the lyrics to Keep 'Em Separated. So annoying when you can remember how the tune went but not the words to song. They are one of my favorites too.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:07 AM   #581
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Weigh in this am 159, then I fell off the scale from shock cause that was -3 lbs from Monday. Decided to get back on. 160.5 I knew better.

Becky is teaching me the wonders of eggs and no wine
I'll take it!!!

Becky, hope your first day at work was great.
Congrats!!!
Old 02-19-2013, 08:08 AM   #582
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
Job was great...just paper work...they all seem to be really enjoying there job..go back tommorrow ..

Great new pic! The water looks beautiful

You are kicking butt Becky!!!
Old 02-19-2013, 08:15 AM   #583
Blabbermouth!!!

Weigh-in Feb 19, 2013

Weigh-in this morning ... 201.9
Old 02-19-2013, 09:44 AM   #584
Blabbermouth!!!

It is funny. I started to mention it yesterday when I posted my log but succumbed to base superstition about jinxing myself with this morning weigh-in.

I had about 17 ounce of pork chops yesterday. That is the net weight after I subtracted the left over bones. I did that a few months ago with a pound of country pork ribs and lost a pound the next morning.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:07 AM   #585
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mumasatus
Stats: 171/153/130
WOE: VLC/MP/HF
Hi, can I join you guys?

I've been off and on the forum for years, mostly Atkins '72. I always get to my goal and decide that I feel so good that we should have another baby!

At 46 years old, I think I may finally be past that weightloss pitfall.

I've been having a weight loss compitition with some of my friends for the last 8 weeks. We all paid $50 to join. At the end of 10 weeks, whoever has lost the greatest percentage of weight keeps the kitty. If first and second are very close, they split the winnings.

With 2 weeks to go, I am tied for first place. I obviously need to really focus and make every bite count.

I'm looking forward to having this board for a little extra motivation and support to keep me going until the next weigh in.

When the contest is over, we will go immediately into the next one, so there is no worry about just giving up and gaining it all back.
Happily married to the man of my dreams for 20 years
Old 02-19-2013, 10:40 AM   #586
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

You go girl!!!
You are doing awesome
Old 02-19-2013, 10:42 AM   #587
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

Dang I am eatin some pork
Way to Go Darin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-19-2013, 10:42 AM   #588
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumasatus View Post
Hi, can I join you guys?

I've been off and on the forum for years, mostly Atkins '72. I always get to my goal and decide that I feel so good that we should have another baby!

I've been having a weight loss compitition with some of my friends for the last 8 weeks. We all paid $50 to join. At the end of 10 weeks, whoever has lost the greatest percentage of weight keeps the kitty. If first and second are very close, they split the winnings.

With 2 weeks to go, I am tied for first place. I obviously need to really focus and make every bite count.

I'm looking forward to having this board for a little extra motivation and support to keep me going until the next weigh in.

When the contest is over, we will go immediately into the next one, so there is no worry about just giving up and gaining it all back.
Nice to meet ya!
Welcome
Old 02-19-2013, 11:04 AM   #589
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deb34
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzcase View Post
I use Optimum Nutrition casein protein powder in Chocolate Surpeme. Good stuff. I used to think protein shakes were a waste of time cause I was always hungry an hour after drinking one.. then I learned the difference between whey (what I was drinking) and other kinds of protein..

Whey is quick digesting because its meant to be drunk (dranken?) after a workout to replenish and repair muscles. Casein is slow digesting and many weightlifters drink it before bed so they don't wake up in the middle of the night from hunger.

Who knew?
isn't casein protein found in weight gainer formulas? would this type of protein be counterproductive to NK? Just wondering....
Old 02-19-2013, 11:14 AM   #590
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Hi, can I join you guys?

Hi Genevieve Welcome to our thread!

That sounds like an awesome challenge especially since your secret weapon is LC/NK.

Keep total carbs super low since you only have two weeks to go, be careful not to go too low on calories, up your fat, agree to split the pot with Darin, make sure you are supplementing with magnesium, potassium and multivitamin (meds permitting), keep pure water consumption moderate - don't over do it or under do it, keep sodium levels in mind to make sure you are getting enough sodium.

Once you get keto-adapted you'll leave everyone else in the dust on the next challenge.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:45 AM   #591
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 20, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb34 View Post
isn't casein protein found in weight gainer formulas? would this type of protein be counterproductive to NK? Just wondering....
I dunno, is it? I'm sure casein protein isn't only used for gaining weight, as I have been losing steadily with it. I can't understand why people would use it to gain since its so filling and wards away hunger for awhile.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:51 AM   #592
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: erinisme
Stats: 180/170/140
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 12/12/2012
Quote:
It is funny. I started to mention it yesterday when I posted my log but succumbed to base superstition about jinxing myself with this morning weigh-in.

I had about 17 ounce of pork chops yesterday. That is the net weight after I subtracted the left over bones. I did that a few months ago with a pound of country pork ribs and lost a pound the next morning.
Yippee! I had pork ribs last night and today (and probably tonight) I hope to a 5 lb lost tomorrow! hello size 12 pants!
If I ate ribs and have mizz protein shakes I should be at goal in a couple of weeks! (or have I figured this wrong?
Old 02-19-2013, 12:10 PM   #593
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinisme View Post
Yippee! I had pork ribs last night and today (and probably tonight) I hope to a 5 lb lost tomorrow! hello size 12 pants!
If I ate ribs and have mizz protein shakes I should be at goal in a couple of weeks! (or have I figured this wrong?
heh. I call it Darin's Eat Pork Tu Lose Plan (which is super cool in Latin too).

If you use my patent pending Wall Climber Scale Weight Technique (TM pending) you will see miraculous weight loss that the experts say cannot be maintained. I can't go into too many details until the patent office manager gets back with me (because the patent clerk was, frankly, rude), but the basis of my system is to install hand-holds on the wall near the scale. Applying varying amounts of pressure on these space-age material hand grips that have been positioned at arms reach allows the scale to reveal your true weight.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:27 PM   #594
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I dunno, is it? I'm sure casein protein isn't only used for gaining weight, as I have been losing steadily with it. I can't understand why people would use it to gain since its so filling and wards away hunger for awhile.
Well, even if it is, i'm going to go with your recommendation because I can't do whey protein. I get a huge insulin surge which of course ruins fat loss. I like the "keeps you full for a long time" aspect. Have you tried other flavours of OP Casein? Chocolate Supreme is good just with water do you think?

While I'm here, I'll update what's happening with me as regards my Supplement regimen and doing NK without testing.

One month and 4 days into this my results are:

loss of 9.5 pounds whooooeee! This is the fastest and most I've ever lost in about a month. This includes the 10 "cheat" days where I ate at least one meal or item that was high carb.

Instrumental to my success I strongly believe is my use of Pregnenolone, Idodoral every morning. 1 tsp of sea salt per day also supports the adrenal glands.

I also use 4 tbsp of CO and 2 tsp of Cod Liver Oil every day without fail. This means approximately 800 calories are from fat right off the bat.

I've been a little deficient in protein most days but will start adding in OP casein protein shake once per day or so.

I also must have my ACV/water/baking soda drink once or twice a day to keep acid/alkaline balance. If I get too acidic, my joints start paining me.

I also take about 2 tbsp of Natural Calm magnesium at night.

All of these things combined are really helping me sleep much better. I don't wake up much through the night now and if I do, I drop off again very quickly. Sleeping better no doubt is because my nightime cortisol must be lower than before. The pregnenolone and iodoral get the credit for rebalancing my hormones to a more normal profile. For me, that seems to be the key to fat loss progress...I did LCHF before but never had much consistent lasting success. Having the sex hormones more balanced and the iodine to support my thyroid seems to be the magic bullet for now.

Last edited by Deb34; 02-19-2013 at 01:04 PM.. Reason: status update
Old 02-19-2013, 01:12 PM   #595
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mumasatus
Stats: 171/153/130
WOE: VLC/MP/HF
Quote:
Hi Genevieve Welcome to our thread!

That sounds like an awesome challenge especially since your secret weapon is LC/NK.

Keep total carbs super low since you only have two weeks to go, be careful not to go too low on calories, up your fat, agree to split the pot with Darin, make sure you are supplementing with magnesium, potassium and multivitamin (meds permitting), keep pure water consumption moderate - don't over do it or under do it, keep sodium levels in mind to make sure you are getting enough sodium.

Once you get keto-adapted you'll leave everyone else in the dust on the next challenge.

Thank you so much for the help. I have actually been doing very low carb and high fat for the last 8 weeks. I've lost 16 lbs in that time period and have only 2 more weeks to go before the end of the competition.

I probably am too low on calories. It isn't that easy for me to get them higher but I will work on it.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:43 PM   #596
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NKSL55
Stats: 205/185/175
WOE: General LC then NK
Start Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
I got to thinking today... some days, my protein is a bit on the high side because I've had eggs and I just hate to waste the whites... do companies sell just egg yolks in a carton? Like egg whites in a carton, but yolks? This would be amazing.
My wife mentioned there was a version of "Egg Beaters" that was egg yolks only.

--
Phillip
Old 02-19-2013, 01:44 PM   #597
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: zgirl
Wow so many new (and probably new-to-me) faces since I've last posted! Firstly, I have to thank Mizzcase for putting me onto these casein protein shakes. I've been having half a scoop in the morning with coffee and coconut oil and the other half a scoop before bed with almond milk. It tastes great and it makes me feel full and comfortable throughout the day and night. So if you're thinking of trying it, go for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb34 View Post

loss of 9.5 pounds whooooeee! This is the fastest and most I've ever lost in about a month. This includes the 10 "cheat" days where I ate at least one meal or item that was high carb.
Congrats on the amazing loss! Thank you for sharing your list of supplements. I have been having trouble falling asleep/staying asleep at night for the past few weeks and I think it's really taking a toll on my body. Your sleep improvement gives me hope that I can get there too when I find the right balance.

Quote:

Hi Multimama! Unfortunately I can't offer any advice about BF, but just want to say welcome, congrats on the new baby, and I hope you find what works for you.

Quote:
Yay, Clueless! What a great drop. I can feel the 150s calling to you...

Quote:
Hi, Portcop (Becky, I think right?) I don't think I've officially met you yet, but I've seen a couple of the photos you've been posting of your vacation. It looks like you had an amazing time. And congrats on your new low!

Quote:
Red - awesome job - you just keep going down and down and down! Yes, pork is good. So is your scale climbing technique. I have discovered a similar phenomenon using the humble towel bar, but I'm sure your hand-held grips yield even more rapid and dramatic results (call now for TWO FREE GRIPS and our revolutionary damage-proof wall-mounting system, valued at $899.99, but yours ABSOLUTELY FREE if you call within the next 10 MINUTES!).

Quote:
Hi, can I join you guys?

Hi Genevieve! Welcome! We'll all be here to support you and cheer you on in your competition - sounds like you're well on your way to hitting the jackpot Keep it up!
Old 02-19-2013, 01:51 PM   #598
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NKSL55
Stats: 205/185/175
WOE: General LC then NK
Start Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
I am between spatulas so I just scrambled them in the skillet. I'm pretty sure I suffer from low stomach acid but, so far, I have not been able to work up the nerve to try the acv test. I slugged some pickle juice instead with indeterminate results.

19 eggs! wow! lol
She may be the closest one we have in the group to Cool Hand Luke.

--
Phillip
Old 02-19-2013, 01:58 PM   #599
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Congrats on the amazing loss! Thank you for sharing your list of supplements. I have been having trouble falling asleep/staying asleep at night for the past few weeks and I think it's really taking a toll on my body. Your sleep improvement gives me hope that I can get there too when I find the right balance.
I've been working on getting my cortisol down for about a year now. I started the pregnenolone and iodoral in November and just the last month have I noticed actual improvement in my sleep. Dealing with hormones and cortisol and thyroid issues is a bear so please be patient..don't expect miracles in a couple of weeks. One thing also I learned, is that if you have high cortisol, you don't want any stimulating adrenal supplements, stay away from those, you need support supplements that will balance out high cortisol instead of stimulating your adrenals to produce more cortisol.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:59 PM   #600
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgirl View Post
Red - awesome job - you just keep going down and down and down! Yes, pork is good. So is your scale climbing technique. I have discovered a similar phenomenon using the humble towel bar, but I'm sure your hand-held grips yield even more rapid and dramatic results (call now for TWO FREE GRIPS and our revolutionary damage-proof wall-mounting system, valued at $899.99, but yours ABSOLUTELY FREE if you call within the next 10 MINUTES!).
lol
Closed Thread