Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2013, 12:51 PM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Darin, Congrats on turning things around. I hope you wizz right past that 205 in the next day or two.

I've actually been able to manage my nausea and other weirdness fairly well the last day or two. Yesterday I was sitting in starbucks studying and felt like I was just crawling out of my skin with energy. Like maybe it would be a good idea to just get up and sprint as fast as I could around the block. And I had NO appetite at all all day. But I split my protein requirement in two and had half (6 ounces of salmon) at 5 pm and the other half (more salmon) at 10 pm. I did feel like I had to force it down a bit, but it didn't make me feel sick. I'm wondering if this is going to just be how it is with me on NK or if my body will adapt a bit.

I realized, too, that this exact scenario happened when I was losing weight in 2011 (the only time I've ever been able to lose). I was eating a very fatty diet with only 2 g of carb a day, not counting my protein, but I don't think it was too much about 80 or so grams. I didn't know anything about NK at the time. But about 2 1/2 to 3 months into it I got to the point that the sight of my food made me feel sick. I had no appetite and TONS of energy. And I ended up going off the diet bc I felt like I literally could not eat. So, I started eating off the diet, and then face planted in carbs and that was the end of that. But at the time I didn't realize there was something chemical going on. I thought I just couldn't stand to eat another cheeseburger.

I'm feeling good about this realization because now I feel like I understand a little more what happened there. I wasn't just a big loser who couldn't stick to a diet, iykwim. And it makes me think I need to and probably can work through this. I hope! Pretty sure I can though.

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb
once a day feeding

Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2013, 03:45 PM   #32
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post
I realized, too, that this exact scenario happened when I was losing weight in 2011 (the only time I've ever been able to lose).
Did it go away back then? Could the IF have anything to do with it?
Old 02-02-2013, 04:35 PM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Well had a great day lots of sun . We ate at little PR resturant had fried grouper and ripe plantain,yumm. But diet not so good,,today I did cheat had a frozen drink . Not over doing it but. Not to worried this is a life time thing,still no wheat,,,,,,
Pool was great ocean is blue!!
Old 02-02-2013, 06:14 PM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
Well had a great day lots of sun . We ate at little PR resturant had fried grouper and ripe plantain,yumm. But diet not so good,,today I did cheat had a frozen drink . Not over doing it but. Not to worried this is a life time thing,still no wheat,,,,,,
So glad to hear your having a great time Becky.
No worries about the diet. Sounds like you are doing great though.
Be safe and have fun!
And You look Beautiful!

Last edited by Clueless; 02-02-2013 at 06:16 PM..
Old 02-02-2013, 06:37 PM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Did it go away back then? Could the IF have anything to do with it?
No, I went of my plan first. I did stay on plan for a few weeks, though, and just tried to force a little food down here and there, never got better. But I didn't have any understanding of what was going on. I thought it was just that I was sick of cheeseburgers. Now I see that it's not the food, it's my chemistry. And I think I can work with it. I hope I'm not always nauseated by food on NK, but there are worse things, like ruining your healthy and being a slave to carbs. It's sort of a double edged sword. On the one hand, eating is a chore, on the other hand, for practically the first time in my life, I am not distracted or obsessed by food. At least for now that tradeoff sounds okay to me.

As for IF, I don't know. Of course, when I feel this way I want to eat even less often. But it's possible. I was IF'ing both times. I really like it, though. I don't want to change it!

Plus, I am quite certain it's about being in a really deep ketosis. I have been losing!

Quote:
Sounds beautiful and yummy! I think staying on plan at home gives you a buffer so you can indulge a little on special occasions.

Last edited by rubidoux; 02-02-2013 at 06:39 PM..
Old 02-02-2013, 07:27 PM   #36
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I've never had it but fried grouper sounds delicious to me heh

You're doing great Becky!
Old 02-02-2013, 07:28 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Hi to All! Been such a beautiful Saturday, and busy too. We are all trying to get DD2 fully into gluten free. She was LC, but since her scope, the doc told her to get strict. I am patiently, not really...waiting on the GI biopsy to determine if she crossed to Celiac. Took too long at the grocery today, it simply is NOT necessary to put wheat, barley, rye in so many products!
Darin, yes, it is ancient to have even known the word "Cobol"....LOL! Much less use it. Thank goodness we came so far in record time. I need you to fix a couple programs that I simply hate! But we are enterprize, so well, stuck with that junk. It is quite frustrating, I agree...when you fix something, then months later, you go back and cannot for the life of you remember what you did. I post "keys" now, simply a waste of time to try to remember it all. You guys love the puzzle, we girls like it glued on the back so it never falls apart again! 11lbs, wow. That is a great start back.
Hi Yvonne! Hope you are doing okay?
Mizz, I can't imagine surviving on that few calories, it's likely not healthy to go below 1200 for the most part. Shakes just don't make me think I have "eaten" either!
Hi Cheryl! How are you doing, staying well?
Hi Jayne! I think for some of us the nausea is odd, and mine hung around a few weeks. Figured out that the higher fat too fast and CO were likely the causes. Perhaps the DM1 is part of this chemistry?
Wow Becky, thanks for the updates! Enjoy the experience, food and all!
Old 02-02-2013, 07:30 PM   #38
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post
No, I went of my plan first. I did stay on plan for a few weeks, though, and just tried to force a little food down here and there, never got better. But I didn't have any understanding of what was going on. I thought it was just that I was sick of cheeseburgers. Now I see that it's not the food, it's my chemistry. And I think I can work with it. I hope I'm not always nauseated by food on NK, but there are worse things, like ruining your healthy and being a slave to carbs. It's sort of a double edged sword. On the one hand, eating is a chore, on the other hand, for practically the first time in my life, I am not distracted or obsessed by food. At least for now that tradeoff sounds okay to me.

As for IF, I don't know. Of course, when I feel this way I want to eat even less often. But it's possible. I was IF'ing both times. I really like it, though. I don't want to change it!
What if you modified your IF a little bit. Eat 15 to 20 grams every two hours and otherwise eat as you are now. After a few weeks you could eat 30g every 3 hours for a few more weeks and then all within your IF window at last.

Doing that might allow your body to adjust and get rid of the sick feeling.

Quote:
Plus, I am quite certain it's about being in a really deep ketosis. I have been losing!
Great!!
Old 02-02-2013, 07:30 PM   #39
Blabbermouth!!!

Food Log - 02022013

Numbers and log for Friday the 1st.

Calories: 1,938

Fat: 156
Pro: 110
Car: 26

71/24/5

Breakfast: CO & coffee, hwc.
Lunch: Shrimp, jalapenos, sour cream, tomato.
Dinner: Eggs, sausage, cheese.
Snack: HWC float.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:39 PM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Have you ever heard of taurine?

Taurine is your heart’s most abundant free amino acid. Research has shown that it prevents arrhythmia (irregular heartbeat) and has many anti-hypertensive effects. It relaxes blood vessels by enhancing endorphin production, resulting in lowered blood pressure.

In a double-blind, placebo-controlled study—the gold standard for medical research—19 patients with borderline hypertension got 6 grams of taurine daily for seven days. Their systolic blood pressure decreased an average of 9 mm Hg and their diastolic blood pressure decreased an average of 4 mm Hg.

Part of taurine’s effect might be also be due to the fact that it decreases plasma epinephrine but not norepinephrine levels. And people with hypertension tend to have higher epinephrine compared to people with normal blood pressure.

Having diabetes as well as high blood pressure dramatically increases the risk for having a silent stroke, according to the American Stroke Association.

If you have obstructive sleep apnea, your risk of high blood pressure (hypertension) can be up to two to three times greater than if you don’t, according to the Mayo Clinic.
You probably already know about nutrients like CoQ10, magnesium, and omega-3 for lowering blood pressure.But I’ll bet your doctor, your nutritionist and even most alternative medicine practitioners don’t know about the immediate blood pressure-lowering effects of peppers.

Hot peppers like habaneros, cayennes and jalapenos contain a variety of capsaicinoids, the compounds that give peppers their characteristic heat.

One of the capsaicinoids—capsaicin—is already highly revered in holistic medicine and used to help boost the metabolism and promote weight loss, manage psoriasis, reduce pain, and ease digestive disorders.

And both holistic and conventional medical practitioners use of capsaicin in creams to relieve even the worst arthritis.
That’s because capsaicinoids block the action of the enzyme–cyclooxygenase-2. You might know it better as COX-2.

What those doctors don’t usually know is why that’s important to your blood pressure. It turns out that COX-2 causes the blood vessels to restrict and contract, and this reduces blood flow to the heart and the rest of the body.

Reduced blood flow forces your heart to pump harder, which ultimately leads to increased blood pressure.

By blocking COX-2, capsaicin lowers blood pressure.
And the capsaicin in hot peppers also has the extraordinary ability to enhance your heart’s performance while lowering blood pressure by another, little-known means.

They’re called “capsaicin receptors.”

This was a great article, thought I'd share as many look for alternatives for BP. Darin, eat more peppers!
Old 02-02-2013, 07:54 PM   #41
Blabbermouth!!!

lol that is exactly what I was thinking while reading! Thanks for sharing it ct
Old 02-02-2013, 08:21 PM   #42
Major LCF Poster!

CT, I am awesome. Thanks for asking.
Happy to finally have gotten back down those few lbs.
I was getting a little worried.
I love the info on capsaicin. They do make pills of capsaicin but pills are not always a good idea in this case. Your taste buds ready your digestive system for the peppers. Taking the pills blind sides your tummy. If your gonna try the pills, taste some peppers first so you system is ready for the heat.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:42 PM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

Dog on it,
I just had a glass of wine and then broke out the peanuts, Why do I do that???
I wasn't hungry I just have now will power
Old 02-02-2013, 09:55 PM   #44
Major LCF Poster!

Well I am pretty diappointed with myself.

Calories 2168
Fat 181
Protein 104

Last edited by Clueless; 02-02-2013 at 10:01 PM.. Reason: oops, I didn't mean to post this one.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:58 PM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

Well I am pretty diappointed with myself.

Calories 2168
Fat 181 75%
Protein 104 18%
carbs 43 7%
I also had cashews today, The nuts really put my carbs thru the roof.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:17 AM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 20, 2012
Hi Cheryl, its ok. I am the queen of bad decisions with wine! That's why I haven't touched the stuff in over a week. At least it was peanuts and not a 22 oz do-it-yourself frozen yogurt.. thats what I am more likely to do.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:24 AM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
CT, I am awesome. Thanks for asking.
Happy to finally have gotten back down those few lbs.
I was getting a little worried.
I love the info on capsaicin. They do make pills of capsaicin but pills are not always a good idea in this case. Your taste buds ready your digestive system for the peppers. Taking the pills blind sides your tummy. If your gonna try the pills, taste some peppers first so you system is ready for the heat.
Good point on the pills. As always, go gently into anything new! Now, does wine trigger you? I find that I have a bit while cooking supper, with a bite of cheese, to reduce the impace to BS...then the rest with the meal. No triggers. Others I have watched drink wine or whatnot, after a meal, say a couple of hours, tend to need a munchy food...salty. You may need to stop the trigger pattern. Don't beat up on yourself, put on the big girl panties and get right on with a new day!
Old 02-03-2013, 05:25 AM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzcase View Post
Hi Cheryl, its ok. I am the queen of bad decisions with wine! That's why I haven't touched the stuff in over a week. At least it was peanuts and not a 22 oz do-it-yourself frozen yogurt.. thats what I am more likely to do.
22oz frozen yogurt! Wow, brain freeze! Yep, sounds like you need to step away from the wine!
Old 02-03-2013, 06:17 AM   #49
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzcase View Post
Thanks Mizz. My DH was so sweet and surprised me with me a bottle of my fav.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
Now, does wine trigger you? I find that I have a bit while cooking supper, with a bite of cheese, to reduce the impace to BS...then the rest with the meal. No triggers. Others I have watched drink wine or whatnot, after a meal, say a couple of hours, tend to need a munchy food...salty. You may need to stop the trigger pattern. Don't beat up on yourself, put on the big girl panties and get right on with a new day!

161.5 this morning
yesterday I was 158

Yep, I do better if I have wine while cooking. It was like 11:30 when I had a glass. I had also worked out yesterday evening for an hour and that triggers hunger for me too, but I wasn't hungry. I guess I just ate to be eating.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:12 AM   #50
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Yep, I do better if I have wine while cooking. It was like 11:30 when I had a glass. I had also worked out yesterday evening for an hour and that triggers hunger for me too, but I wasn't hungry. I guess I just ate to be eating.
Aside from the triggers, working out for an hour results in retained water doesn't it?

One of the problems with alcohol from a weight loss perspective is that the energy from it cuts to the front of the line and the body drops everything to rid it from the system. I bet coritsol goes up too since alcohol stresses the body.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:13 AM   #51
Blabbermouth!!!

I've experienced that feeling with the cayenne pills (several years ago). It is kinda strange feeling the heat in your belly.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:14 AM   #52
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Dog on it,
I just had a glass of wine and then broke out the peanuts, Why do I do that???
I wasn't hungry I just have now will power
Just about anything will trigger my almond problem
Old 02-03-2013, 07:19 AM   #53
Blabbermouth!!!

Weigh-in 02032013

Weigh-in this morning 205.1. So down a tad but I stayed up late last night watching crap on the internet and the next day's weigh-in is never stellar when I do that.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:50 AM   #54
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I've experienced that feeling with the cayenne pills (several years ago). It is kinda strange feeling the heat in your belly.
heheehee. I found out about that the hard way. I had read all the great things Capsaicin pills could do for you. I pooped a pill and when that pills dissoled in my tummy I thought I was gonna die. I love hot peppers so I hadn't expected them to burn me up. I was on fire for a while. Those pills went in the trash. Only later did I realize
you need to taste the peppers so your digestive system is ready for the heat.
Sometimes I can really be clueless.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:35 AM   #55
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
heheehee. I found out about that the hard way. I had read all the great things Capsaicin pills could do for you. I pooped a pill and when that pills dissoled in my tummy I thought I was gonna die. I love hot peppers so I hadn't expected them to burn me up. I was on fire for a while. Those pills went in the trash. Only later did I realize
you need to taste the peppers so your digestive system is ready for the heat.
Sometimes I can really be clueless.
That is a great tip about preparing your belly for the fire. When I took them it was for their pain relieving properties. I didn't take many doses because they didn't seem to have any effect but that was back when I was still suffering from the curse of modern wheat.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:42 AM   #56
Blabbermouth!!!

Man, I feed one of the doggies (there are two) that Little Champions in the pouch. The ground up stuff cause she is the one that had almost all of her teeth pulled, poor thing. Anyway, I squish it up in the pouch before opening it to make it easier for her to eat. This morning I was doing that while looking towards the table and my laptop and the dang thing popped open and spurted that gross stuff across my laptop and across the clean dishes I had sitting on the table

This is the cleanest my laptop and table top has been in weeks heh. Had to rewash the stuff on the table too - all of it cause who knows where the micro-particles landed ugh.

As bad as that was it could have been worse. What if the weak part had been pointed at my face???? I'd have had to take my veggie brush to the shower with me.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:38 AM   #57
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Man, I feed one of the doggies (there are two) that Little Champions in the pouch. The ground up stuff cause she is the one that had almost all of her teeth pulled, poor thing. Anyway, I squish it up in the pouch before opening it to make it easier for her to eat. This morning I was doing that while looking towards the table and my laptop and the dang thing popped open and spurted that gross stuff across my laptop and across the clean dishes I had sitting on the table

This is the cleanest my laptop and table top has been in weeks heh. Had to rewash the stuff on the table too - all of it cause who knows where the micro-particles landed ugh.

As bad as that was it could have been worse. What if the weak part had been pointed at my face???? I'd have had to take my veggie brush to the shower with me.
Glad you didn't get a face full of doggie food mush.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:19 PM   #58
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

I mean I did LOL! Spilling anything on the laptop just takes your breath away. Good thing it is still working! I would have needed the yard blower to get the keys totally clean...if I didn't have that handy can of air around -- love those things!
Old 02-03-2013, 02:23 PM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Thanks Mizz. My DH was so sweet and surprised me with me a bottle of my fav.

161.5 this morning
yesterday I was 158

I could not have had a glass at 11:30, I might as well planned on staying up for hours. My system would have me wide awake at 4am when my glucose started processing...the weekend with the girls we were up very late and I did notice I got hungry again at 1am, which well, made sense to me, it had been hours....but we didn't eat, just figured it would pass. It did. Eating just to eat is a problem all in itself....we all have to figure where our line is on that and not to go there. NK can be very unforgiving on "cheats"...not much wiggle room.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:01 PM   #60
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 20, 2012
Beyonce's butt sucked up all the power!
Closed Thread