Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2013, 11:44 AM   #451
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaroo62 View Post
It's so nice that there are people like you, reddarin, taking the time to share, educate and inform. Especially for newbies like me.
Welcome, Sbaroo! And ITA! Darin is such a wealth of knowledge and shares it so generously!

zgirl, Happy you seem to have found what works! I assume that when you (general you) get to a good weight for you, that as long as you're getting enough calories, you'll stop losing. If I was you, I think I'd see where it took me as long as I was feeling well and energetic. Of course, I've never had to worry about being underweight, so you can take that with a grain of salt.

Do we know of anyone who hit the endpoint of NK, like lost some weight and then stabilized at a healthy comfortable weight? Maybe kristn/mom2zeke. I know she's hit her goal, but not sure if she's comfortably stable.

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb
once a day feeding

Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2013, 12:00 PM   #452
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Weigh-in this morning ... 202.6. Down a tiny bit. Man I can't weight to get back under 200.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zgirl View Post
Congrats - almost there! Was the pun intended, by the way (weigh)?
No! Dang spell checker lol

I'm gonna have to add an alarm to my extension to alert me to posting prior to the second cup of coffee.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:10 PM   #453
Blabbermouth!!!

From what I've seen, not too many people have made 'Goal!' posts (haha) with NK. There was a thread for NK successes but it didn't get much attention.

Anecdotally speaking, most people here doing NK are either already at goal or they are trying to break a ghastly long term stall.

Strictly speaking, I did hit goal at 186. I was wondering why I still had a belly and I was considering having to work out to reshape my body. SouthernGirl popped my balloon by pointing out that there is an actual measurement for frame size and I found out that I had another 10 to 20 pounds to go (because I am medium framed not large framed).

Old 02-15-2013, 01:50 PM   #454
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 20, 2012
It may be a bit premature, but I am going to go there:

A casein protein shake with added coconut oil is the best thing that ever happened to me.

Had one scoop w/ a cup of almond milk and 37g of coconut oil for breakfast at 8A this morning. It is almost 5 pm and I am just now getting hungry. I worked out at 3 for an hour and still wasn't hungry after. Y'all, do you know how much I'm going to save on groceries now with this discovery?!

Headed to Texas Roadhouse for dinner-- ribeye, broccoli, and caesar salad. Yum.

Have a good night everyone!
Old 02-15-2013, 03:32 PM   #455
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: zgirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzcase View Post
It may be a bit premature, but I am going to go there:

A casein protein shake with added coconut oil is the best thing that ever happened to me.

Had one scoop w/ a cup of almond milk and 37g of coconut oil for breakfast at 8A this morning. It is almost 5 pm and I am just now getting hungry. I worked out at 3 for an hour and still wasn't hungry after. Y'all, do you know how much I'm going to save on groceries now with this discovery?!
That sounds delicious - what protein powder do you use? Enjoy your dinner - that sounds great too
Old 02-15-2013, 03:37 PM   #456
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Sheesh what a day. Running your own biz has it's perks but it can surly suck sometimes. I love the kids but adults can be another matter altogether.
I need a glass of wine and a butt kicking movie,

Subaroo, nice to meet ya.

Miss ya Buffy, Check in and tell us how you are.

MizzCasey, enjoy your steak

How goes it Becky? When you start the new Job?

Darin, your doing so well. We sure do appreciate you

Jayne, hang in there

zgirl,

CT, miss ya. I guess they are working you to death.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:43 PM   #457
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
No! Dang spell checker lol

I'm gonna have to add an alarm to my extension to alert me to posting prior to the second cup of coffee.
Haha I had to ask - you're always slipping in so many clever little jokes and double entendres that I can never be sure!

Quote:
From what I've seen, not too many people have made 'Goal!' posts (haha) with NK. There was a thread for NK successes but it didn't get much attention.

Anecdotally speaking, most people here doing NK are either already at goal or they are trying to break a ghastly long term stall.

Strictly speaking, I did hit goal at 186. I was wondering why I still had a belly and I was considering having to work out to reshape my body. SouthernGirl popped my balloon by pointing out that there is an actual measurement for frame size and I found out that I had another 10 to 20 pounds to go (because I am medium framed not large framed).

This is interesting. I'm pretty small framed (and short - 5'2) and I weighed in this week at 104 lbs. So I'm not too concerned about losing any more weight, but I would like to trade in some body fat for muscle mass. I guess I should cut back on the cardio and focus on strength training. Rubidoux, you said to make sure I'm eating enough calories... problem is I'm not quite sure what to aim for. I don't want to kick myself out of ketosis but I suppose I could eat a little more. Up the fats, maybe?
Old 02-15-2013, 03:44 PM   #458
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post

zgirl,
Aww thanks Cheryl! Hugs to you too... and hope you get to unwind tonight. What kind of business do you run?
Old 02-15-2013, 03:49 PM   #459
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Aww thanks Cheryl! Hugs to you too... and hope you get to unwind tonight. What kind of business do you run?
Home daycare. Been a long week
Love the working with the kids part of the job, The business part can be a pain sometimes. I have to work very hard not to be a pushover.

Last edited by Clueless; 02-15-2013 at 03:54 PM..
Old 02-15-2013, 04:04 PM   #460
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
That sounds delicious - what protein powder do you use? Enjoy your dinner - that sounds great too
I use Optimum Nutrition casein protein powder in Chocolate Surpeme. Good stuff. I used to think protein shakes were a waste of time cause I was always hungry an hour after drinking one.. then I learned the difference between whey (what I was drinking) and other kinds of protein..

Whey is quick digesting because its meant to be drunk (dranken?) after a workout to replenish and repair muscles. Casein is slow digesting and many weightlifters drink it before bed so they don't wake up in the middle of the night from hunger.

Who knew?
Old 02-15-2013, 04:07 PM   #461
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ladysilverpatch
Stats: 249/206/168
WOE: whole foods/lc/fast-5
Start Date: Jan 2001
Today I focused on not only doing LC, Fast 5, but also doing my first day as NK. After reading all the intro (thank you for all that, I never would have figured all this out) and doing the formulas-I think I did OK.
I figure today was 81/14/5 and about 1977 calories. GASP. To get the fat high enough I finished my day with a good-sized bowl of cauliflower soup made with HWC, butter and added sausage. High fat that recipe! earlier I had white meat chicken breast made into chicken salad with lots of mayo wrapped up in lettuce leaves, collards cooked with olive oil, 5 olives. Seems like more food and richer than I usually go for-thus more calories. My goal weight is 165 so calories are figured at 2250 for sedentary and I'm to strive for 75/20/5. It does take some calculating as you go. Does it get easier making sure you're getting your % right?
Old 02-15-2013, 04:12 PM   #462
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
I need a glass of wine and a butt kicking movie,
Watch "The Man from Nowhere" (2010). It is an awesome Korean movie.

The first Expendables was excellent. The second one was terrible. Worse than terrible.

Deja Vu was good.

For pure awesome fighting, Ong-bak (2003) is amazing. The story is a bit silly but the long bar fight scene is something to see.

Ip Man, Ip Man 2 (a prequel), Ip Man 3 - all super awesome films about the guy that trained Bruce Lee. Watch it with subtitles for the best experience.

If you want mushy kick butt then The Notebook is probably it.

Old 02-15-2013, 04:15 PM   #463
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
This is interesting. I'm pretty small framed (and short - 5'2) and I weighed in this week at 104 lbs. So I'm not too concerned about losing any more weight, but I would like to trade in some body fat for muscle mass. I guess I should cut back on the cardio and focus on strength training. Rubidoux, you said to make sure I'm eating enough calories... problem is I'm not quite sure what to aim for. I don't want to kick myself out of ketosis but I suppose I could eat a little more. Up the fats, maybe?
(104/2.2)*35 = 1654 calories for maintenance. Start there and go up or down a little as needed. Add calories with fat. There is a little wiggle room with protein too. Well, a lot of wiggle room depending on how sensitive you are to it as far as insulin response goes.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:24 PM   #464
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladysilverpatch View Post
Today I focused on not only doing LC, Fast 5, but also doing my first day as NK. After reading all the intro (thank you for all that, I never would have figured all this out) and doing the formulas-I think I did OK.
I figure today was 81/14/5 and about 1977 calories. GASP. To get the fat high enough I finished my day with a good-sized bowl of cauliflower soup made with HWC, butter and added sausage. High fat that recipe! earlier I had white meat chicken breast made into chicken salad with lots of mayo wrapped up in lettuce leaves, collards cooked with olive oil, 5 olives. Seems like more food and richer than I usually go for-thus more calories. My goal weight is 165 so calories are figured at 2250 for sedentary and I'm to strive for 75/20/5. It does take some calculating as you go. Does it get easier making sure you're getting your % right?
Hi Welcome to our thread

Be sure you take measurements so the scale doesn't sabotage your efforts. And remember that the *30 is a starting place you can adjust as you go. Be patient and adjust slowly so you can be sure about what is working.

Yes, the % do make it a lot easier to keep an eye on how your day is going. When I am doing my log, the first thing I look at is my protein grams. I keep my carbs real low so normally I know already they are low and look at my macro %s to keep on track.

Old 02-15-2013, 04:32 PM   #465
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
I start Monday!,!i was up .6 this morning we ate out last night,,and I always gain when I do that..I only had 4 oz steak nothing eles...
Old 02-15-2013, 04:44 PM   #466
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladysilverpatch View Post
oooohhhh, I wanna eat at your house
That sounded like some good eats
Old 02-15-2013, 04:55 PM   #467
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Watch "The Man from Nowhere" (2010). It is an awesome Korean movie.

The first Expendables was excellent. The second one was terrible. Worse than terrible.

Deja Vu was good.

For pure awesome fighting, Ong-bak (2003) is amazing. The story is a bit silly but the long bar fight scene is something to see.

Ip Man, Ip Man 2 (a prequel), Ip Man 3 - all super awesome films about the guy that trained Bruce Lee. Watch it with subtitles for the best experience.

If you want mushy kick butt then The Notebook is probably it.

Thanks Darin. I am gonna check these out. I love a great Butt Kicking Movie
Old 02-15-2013, 04:57 PM   #468
Blabbermouth!!!

Oh lol The Notebook is strictly mushy
Old 02-15-2013, 04:58 PM   #469
Blabbermouth!!!

The Ip Man movies are really neat. That guy had a heck of a life story. And the movies are done really well. Lots of humor and some interesting historical stuff.

It is probably worth watching them out of order - 2, then 1, then 3.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:59 PM   #470
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
I start Monday!,!i was up .6 this morning we ate out last night,,and I always gain when I do that..I only had 4 oz steak nothing eles...
Congrats Becky!!!! We knew you'd ace the interview
Old 02-15-2013, 05:10 PM   #471
Blabbermouth!!!

I just want to reiterate that The Man From Nowhere must be watched with subtitles.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:15 PM   #472
Blabbermouth!!!

Food log - Feb 15, 2013

Numbers and log for today.

Calories: 2,103

Fat: 170
Pro: 117
Car: 34

71/23/6

Breakfast: Coffee, CO, HWC.
Lunch: None.
Dinner: Chicken, sour cream, fried cabbage with a little bacon, tomato.
Snack: HWC floats.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:32 PM   #473
Senior LCF Member

Looks good, Red. I'm STILL thinking of that cabbage I fried up with onions and bacons the other day. Need to make that again!
Old 02-15-2013, 06:01 PM   #474
Blabbermouth!!!

It was really tasty
Old 02-15-2013, 06:06 PM   #475
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
I had steak and salad for dinner salad was spinch,cucumber,radish and avocado ,I made dressing out of vinegar ,olive oil and little stevia yummy h loved it!!
Old 02-15-2013, 07:37 PM   #476
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernsy View Post
I have read Why We Get Fat and Wheat Belly but not Art / Science. Wouldn't know where to begin to see a LC nutritionist and probably couldn't afford it anyway. Had hormones checked and everything is 'normal'. Just don't know where I've gone so wrong. Will try to up my cals as you suggested and see what happens.
Bernsy, I hear your frustration, you sound like somewhere we have all been. Hormones normal equals what exactly? Which tests were run, and when exactly. Each person is different, women can go into meno at different stages...but you are prime for the turn to peri-meno. I was tooling along just fine right up to 51, and was normal...whatever that is, balanced is a more logical term. 6 months later I was working with near zero levels of two hormones and one was low; my stress was outlandishly high, and cortisol test showed nightly equally high stats. I seeminly gained 9 lbs in a short time, not changing eating at all, and I have not gained weight in years. All things remaining the same/equal, the hormones had to be the issue. The two missing in action with the cortisol issue were storing fat on me day after day. So, the spit test came, taken over 24 hours, and voila, I went on Bioidenticals and supplements for cortisol, now the weight is down, back in my normal range, but bonus, the tummy fat has disappeared. Another bonus, I am calm and back to feeling happy and in control...hormones are essential to us all...melatonin too, don't forget that one helps us get sleep, if you don't make enough as you age, you can cause fat to creep up from lack of sleep. Vicious cycle. I do not remember, and haven't caught up on the thread for your personal stats, and exact history, if you could remind me of this info, perhaps there's something missing that will pop out for us to help you. I had to cut back on fat actually, I am moderate not high now; and added up to 50 carbs, increased protein, but went to eating only when hungry, no carbs but veggies and apples one a day...too much fat was making my stomach miserable and nausea was not fun. We all have learned how to tweak this to work for us, as each are different. NK is evolving, it doesn't seem to me to be an exact science for all yet...
Old 02-15-2013, 08:17 PM   #477
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/130/128
WOE: Maintenance
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
I went on Bioidenticals and supplements for cortisol, now the weight is down, back in my normal range, but bonus, the tummy fat has disappeared. Another bonus, I am calm and back to feeling happy and in control...hormones are essential to us all...melatonin too, don't forget that one helps us get sleep, if you don't make enough as you age, you can cause fat to creep up from lack of sleep. Vicious cycle.

I had to cut back on fat actually, I am moderate not high now; and added up to 50 carbs, increased protein, but went to eating only when hungry, no carbs but veggies and apples one a day...too much fat was making my stomach miserable and nausea was not fun. We all have learned how to tweak this to work for us, as each are different. NK is evolving, it doesn't seem to me to be an exact science for all yet...
Hi Southern Girl
What you shared here is very similar to my situation this year. I also was low on cortisol. Am taking Isocort now & feeling much better. What do you take for cortisol? Just wondering if there are other options out there, as my system seems to be reacting to something. Hopefully its not the Isocort!

I'm on maintenance, but going higher fat/lower carbs till I can get the inflammation down & figured out.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:54 PM   #478
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Well, I had been trying to up my calories and to eat more often throughout the day (mostly bc you can't eat all your calories after 8 pm if you're going to bed by midnight). Did not work out today! I was just running around all day without a chance to eat, so I had coffee with HWC in the am and then dinner at about 6:45. Now it's almost 9 and I feel stuffed and I've only had 938 calories today. I do think I'll get a snack in, but not 500 calories worth.

OTOH, I felt so much better all day today than I have been when I eat during the day. It's really like once I start I don't want to stop. I think about food all day. But if I don't eat, I feel fine and don't think about it. If I get hungry, I just feel empty but not desperate. Whereas if I have already eaten, I feel a little desperate even if I'm not hungry. Maybe I need to stay up later or something... Or maybe do some sort of JUDDD-type schedule.

ETA: zgirl (or anyone else who likes them), I just saw that you listed sardines on your grocery list. Tell me about them! Do they have heads? Do you just close your eyes and hold your breath and swallow? Or do you chew? Do you do anything to them? I'm pretty sure I've never tried one and before recently I had no reason to want to, but I just read this post about whole little fish on Ned Kock's blog that makes me wish I could love them.

Last edited by rubidoux; 02-15-2013 at 09:35 PM..
Old 02-15-2013, 11:39 PM   #479
Senior LCF Member

Man I can't wait to get the hell out of Savannah. I love being startled awake by 8 gun shots at 2:30 AM.. and trying to convince myself it was just a car backfiring. Then all those flashing blue lights come flying by 5 minutes later :-/ I live in an upper/middle class, family-oriented part of town too!

In other news, I'm up at 2:30 meal planning for the week! :-)
Old 02-16-2013, 04:44 AM   #480
Senior LCF Member

Well, I took another 2 pounds off, so that strange bump up WAS water weight. Now 5 pounds down from that. I really think its got something to do with those protein shakes with coconut oil. Mmmm.

Don't know if I'm gonna have any today though. Think I'll just take a shot of MCT oil after my smoothie.
Closed Thread