Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 05:17 AM   #361
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bernsy
WOE: Atkins/Gary Taubes
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Maybe you are not eating enough Bernsy? According to Phinney's formula, for 126 pounds a normally active person should be burning about 2000 calories a day.

I checked the height/weight/framesize table and 126 seems to be about right for your height unless you are unusually small framed or unusually large framed - frame size info post.

Other than the low calories your macros look okay.

Perhaps your body is holding on to the fat because of the low calories? You might try pushing them up to 1500 for a week or two.

No off log snacking?

You may have to resort to exercise.
Is is really possible to not eat enough and yet store fat? I am so at a loss because I feel terrible in my clothes, the clothes that is that still fit, because everything continues to get tight.

If I do up the calories to about 1500 I'm afraid that I'm going to get fatter. Do you really think that it will work? How do I increase, by adding fat? I currently take 1 tbsp of coconut oil and 2 tsp of cod liver oil each morning, should I increase the coconut oil or my food portion sizes through the day? Last night, instead of having 6oz of chilli that I made on the weekend I had 7oz along with 60 grams of Avocado and 50 grams of green beans. Did I eat too much? Not enough?

I am actually desperately in tears over this as it is so difficult, for me, to figure out which way to go.

Really appreciate your help ...

Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2013, 05:47 AM   #362
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
Hi! From personal experience, you may want to have your hormone levels checked, when my tummy poofed out for first time in 20+ years, (at around 128lbs last October), I didn't get it...then the hormone check. Get your full panel done, that may explain it. Saliva testing is the best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernsy View Post
Is is really possible to not eat enough and yet store fat? I am so at a loss because I feel terrible in my clothes, the clothes that is that still fit, because everything continues to get tight.

If I do up the calories to about 1500 I'm afraid that I'm going to get fatter. Do you really think that it will work? How do I increase, by adding fat? I currently take 1 tbsp of coconut oil and 2 tsp of cod liver oil each morning, should I increase the coconut oil or my food portion sizes through the day? Last night, instead of having 6oz of chilli that I made on the weekend I had 7oz along with 60 grams of Avocado and 50 grams of green beans. Did I eat too much? Not enough?

I am actually desperately in tears over this as it is so difficult, for me, to figure out which way to go.

Really appreciate your help ...
Yes it is really possible.

Bernsy is it possible to see an LC nutritionist in your area? It seems to me that an in person meeting and consultation with a professional would help you more than anything.

Did you catch SouthernGirl61's post? Make an appointment with your doc and have your hormones checked. The fact is, if your hormones are out of balance it is going to be hard to impossible to get your diet right.

Have you read Why We Get Fat, Wheat Belly and The Art and Science of Low Carb Living?
Old 02-13-2013, 05:49 AM   #363
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzcase View Post
Nice 1.6 pound drop from yesterday morning. Dunno what I did different, because my weight is hanging on for dear life lately.
Hooray!!!

I'm not generally in favor of communal systems but I vote we take MC's results and divide it among ourselves in a more equitable fashion. Since I have red hair I get the first pound of loss. Hooray for Darin!!!
Old 02-13-2013, 05:51 AM   #364
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
Morning all doing good 6 lbs of my 8 gone 156.6 this morning.i put my h on a diet he to has lost 6 lbs eating baked ff,but no bread or chips and no candy, on our way to dr. For my h ct scan..
Congrats Becky!!!

Let us know how your scan comes out
Old 02-13-2013, 05:53 AM   #365
Blabbermouth!!!

Weigh-in Feb 13, 2013

Weigh-in this morning ... 203.4. Same as yesterday.

Onwards!
Old 02-13-2013, 05:59 AM   #366
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LOW_CARB_LOLA
Stats: 5'7" 304/154.4/120?
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: January 2012
Quote:
Nice 1.6 pound drop from yesterday morning. Dunno what I did different, because my weight is hanging on for dear life lately. Might have something to do with PMS and increased stress levels from school. I dunno? Yesterday overall I did manage to eat higher calories than I've been eating lately, gotta remember to stick around there. Yesterday was the first day without "Need food right now or I will kill you" hunger all day. AND, no nausea to speak of this time around.

B: coffee w/ 1 T cream, 4 pieces of bacon
S: bouillon w/ 3T cream, .5 oz almonds, .5 oz macadamia nuts
L: big salad with romaine, roasted red peppers, tomatoes, onions, 2 oz goat cheese, 2 T olive oil, 1 pickle
D: glass sauvignon blanc, burger w/ cheddar, 2 pickles

1598 calories
120.2g fat
26g carbs (18g net)
80g protein

I live for the salad. Its so good. I will be so sad if I ever figure out that too many veggie carbs are stalling me. That salad has literally prevented me from sliding into a deep depression due to school. Have no idea how big the burger actually was since it was from a restaurant, but I rolled with 8 oz.

Have a good day!
IMPRESSIVE! Way to go!
Old 02-13-2013, 06:04 AM   #367
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Good luck to you, Lola! I think I'd gouge my eyeballs out if I could only eat 4 hours a day-- I am literally taking in calories from the minute I wake up until my last meal of the day a couple hours before bed. No form of fasting---JUDDD, IF, etc--- ever worked for me.
From what I read the Warrior Diet is not a strict fast for 20 hours. You can take in certain calories like CO and protein shakes. Maybe 500 calories or so but the bulk of your days calories are eaten in the 4 hour window in the evening.

Old 02-13-2013, 06:25 AM   #368
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 20, 2012
Great job, Becky.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:47 AM   #369
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Yes it is really possible.

Bernsy is it possible to see an LC nutritionist in your area? It seems to me that an in person meeting and consultation with a professional would help you more than anything.

Did you catch SouthernGirl61's post? Make an appointment with your doc and have your hormones checked. The fact is, if your hormones are out of balance it is going to be hard to impossible to get your diet right.

Have you read Why We Get Fat, Wheat Belly and The Art and Science of Low Carb Living?

I have read Why We Get Fat and Wheat Belly but not Art / Science. Wouldn't know where to begin to see a LC nutritionist and probably couldn't afford it anyway. Had hormones checked and everything is 'normal'. Just don't know where I've gone so wrong. Will try to up my cals as you suggested and see what happens.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:54 AM   #370
Blabbermouth!!!

You don't need to greatly increase them. Just a hundred or two more than the 1300 you show you have been eating.

How long ago were your hormones tested? I defer to SouthernGirl but I believe that even if it was only 6 months ago it is possible for big changes to have taken place. And a conversation with your doc about why you want them tested would be good so that she can order the appropriate tests that she may not otherwise order.

Check Jimmy Moore's site for health care professionals in your area that are LC friendly.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:52 AM   #371
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: zgirl
Hey all!

Mizzcase - congrats on your drop! That's a nice big one. And I have to tell you- I've seen that you put HWC in your bouillon and I was more than a little skeptical. But I tried it today and it is amazing! Thanks for a new favourite

Clueless - congrats on the weigh-in and great that the sodium helped with your headache. It's amazing how sensitive these systems are...

SouthernGirl - thanks for the reminder and for the info about magnesium dosage. Always good to keep in mind!

Reddarin - after the bouillon last night, I still had a bit of water retention this morning but it seems less? Unless that part is in my head. I'll keep it up today and keep monitoring the situation. Especially now that I've tried bouillon with HWC a la Mizzcase, I need an excuse to keep drinking it...

Lola - sorry you're having a hard time. Hang in there and I hope things look up for you soon

Meatless menu planned for me today, as it's Ash Wednesday. I'm making an exception for the chicken bouillon. But otherwise:

B - coffee with HWC and CO
L - bouillon with HWC; 4 oz roasted salmon with steamed spinach and TJ's hollandaise sauce (so yummy!); some sliced black olives
D - probably a salad with a tin of sardines and 1 whole egg + 1 yolk; sour cream on the side; another cup of bouillon with HWC
S - warm vanilla almond milk with HWC and cinnamon; 2T mascarpone

Have a great day, everyone!
Old 02-13-2013, 09:21 AM   #372
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Bernsey, You may have already said, are you taking any medications?
Old 02-13-2013, 09:21 AM   #373
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgirl View Post
Meatless menu planned for me today, as it's Ash Wednesday. I'm making an exception for the chicken bouillon.
Yeah that bouillon and HWC does sound really good.

You could get some veggie bouillon for today. You are drinking it for the sodium and it should be about the same between the two just make sure it isn't marked 'low sodium'. It won't have any more carbs than the chicken or beef but check the label just in case. One carb isn't a big deal though if it even has that much.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:22 AM   #374
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Morning all doing good 6 lbs of my 8 gone 156.6 this morning.i put my h on a diet he to has lost 6 lbs eating baked ff,but no bread or chips and no candy, on our way to dr. For my h ct scan..
Hey thats great for becky for Mr. Becky
Hope you get good news on the scan!
Old 02-13-2013, 09:26 AM   #375
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Hooray!!!

I'm not generally in favor of communal systems but I vote we take MC's results and divide it among ourselves in a more equitable fashion. Since I have red hair I get the first pound of loss. Hooray for Darin!!!
Go Darin
Old 02-13-2013, 10:33 AM   #376
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgirl View Post
Hey all!

Mizzcase - congrats on your drop! That's a nice big one. And I have to tell you- I've seen that you put HWC in your bouillon and I was more than a little skeptical. But I tried it today and it is amazing! Thanks for a new favourite
Tastes like cream of chicken, right? Bouillon is also good with butter missed in.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:34 AM   #377
Blabbermouth!!!

Here is a peak at my LCF extension:

Attached Images
File Type: png LCFExtenstionExamplePic1.png (15.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: png LCFExtenstionExamplePic2.png (13.1 KB, 6 views)
Old 02-13-2013, 11:48 AM   #378
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
Bernsey, You may have already said, are you taking any medications?
Hey Clueless, no I'm not taking any meds, just supplements and cod liver oil. Have been reading threads about sodium intake and am wondering if upping sodium will help. Going to try it.

I see that a number of people have just coffee with HWC and coconut oil for breakfast. Is that really satisfying? Enough to keep you going until lunch? I usually have 1 whole egg plus 2 egg yolks with 13g of butter, 1Tbsp coconut oil & 2tsp cod liver oil and I've been getting hungry before my lunch at work. What gives.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:50 AM   #379
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
Hi! From personal experience, you may want to have your hormone levels checked, when my tummy poofed out for first time in 20+ years, (at around 128lbs last October), I didn't get it...then the hormone check. Get your full panel done, that may explain it. Saliva testing is the best.
Hi,

Had my hormone levels checked (bloodwork in Nov/Dec) and they came back 'normal'.

Maybe I'm not eating enough, not sure. Going to try to increase my cals and my sodium because that is low.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:30 PM   #380
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Wow, you guys, I missed one day and now we're like three pages later!

Quote:
Hamburger, cabbage, rotel, chicken broth, water.
I just brown about a pound of ground beef, or more if I like. Chop up the cabbage and dump in the pot with the rotel and broth and then add as much water as I need to cover it. If ya like more broth you can add more or less.
I have to watch myself cause I will eat too much.
a cup of cabbage has 4.8 carbs and a whole can of rotel has 12.5, so you can figure your carbs for the whole pot.
DH loves it so I make a big pot.
Gosh, I really want to make this today, but I have no cabbage and stuck home with sick kids. Looks like it would really hit the spot!

zgirl, Welcome! I'm going to put another vote in for upping your sodium. When I was pregnant (and I know that's such a different thing, but...) I was hugely swollen and MORE salt really helped. I'm a big believer now.

Quote:
Dh seconds that. But we ladies like that reminder, thanks. We have a hard time being satisfied with our weight/ appearance.
Yes! Always good to be reminded. When I'm out and notice other women because I find them attractive, they are always a little more substantial. I don't really get this skinny, skinny thing.

Quote:
I have to say, I am reminded of a date I went on right before DH and I started dating. The Gentleman told me "you would be very cute if you lost some weight"
The best part was only snickering to myself while he managed to back up and run over himself 3 times to explain what he was trying to say.
Brilliant. I once had a boyfriend tell me that I was beautiful when he was stoned! He was stoned at the time of course. Well, he was always stoned, so maybe it was just a straight up compliment. I was 17 then, I've come a long way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOW_CARB_LOLA View Post
Hahaha thank you!
The warrior diet is basically when you fast/undereat throughout the day (20hours) and then have a 4 hour window to eat. This helps me stay on track because I am able to have a huge meal at the end of the night as opposed to un satisfying smaller meals throughout the day. You don't have to use this diet in tandem with low carb but I am

We will see. Last weight in was 177 on Sunday. Next weigh in is on Friday!
Hi, Lola! I do some version of this most of the time. Just lately I've been eating across more of the day because I'm really trying to up my calories. But I really enjoy a smallish window.

Quote:
Nice 1.6 pound drop from yesterday morning.
Woo hoo!

Quote:
on our way to dr. For my h ct scan..
Congrats on the nice loss and good luck with the scan!

Quote:
I see that a number of people have just coffee with HWC and coconut oil for breakfast. Is that really satisfying? Enough to keep you going until lunch? I usually have 1 whole egg plus 2 egg yolks with 13g of butter, 1Tbsp coconut oil & 2tsp cod liver oil and I've been getting hungry before my lunch at work. What gives.
Hmmm... I wonder if it might just take some getting used to. When I first started IF'ing the first two days were pretty hard and then it got comfortable pretty quickly after that.

Alright, sooooo I have to tell you guys about something totally off topic bc I'm so excited about it. Twenty years or so ago when I was in my early 20's I worked with a couple of kids who were then 9 and 11 who were having a really rough time (mom using crack, 2 sibs died that year, living in an abandoned building, etc). And I fell in love with them, of course. I spent a lot of time with them over about a 3 year period and by the end of that everything had really turned around and they really didn't need me any more, so I ducked out. But I have always had them in my mind and heart, yk, but had no way to contact them or get info about them. And since they come from a place where kids have terrible outcomes I've always worried about them. But I found one of them online! And he's doing GREAT, like really amazing. I actually feel really jealous of the life he's made for himself! He's the founder of this drill team that is somehow related to a Chicago public school and has a lot of social work-y components (like tutoring to help the kids keep their GPA's up enough to stay in the team, after school stuff). So, in a way, he's doing what I was doing with him, except he's doing it on a grander much more awesomer scale! This is the team:

Golden Knights Drill Team @ The Bud Billiken Parade 2012 | Shot By @KingRtb - YouTube

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb
once a day feeding
Old 02-13-2013, 01:17 PM   #381
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post
Gosh, I really want to make this today, but I have no cabbage and stuck home with sick kids. Looks like it would really hit the spot!
I totally agree. Sick kids will not be as tasty as cabbage.

Quote:
Alright, sooooo I have to tell you guys about something totally off topic bc I'm so excited about it. Twenty years or so ago when I was in my early 20's I worked with a couple of kids who were then 9 and 11 who were having a really rough time (mom using crack, 2 sibs died that year, living in an abandoned building, etc). And I fell in love with them, of course. I spent a lot of time with them over about a 3 year period and by the end of that everything had really turned around and they really didn't need me any more, so I ducked out. But I have always had them in my mind and heart, yk, but had no way to contact them or get info about them. And since they come from a place where kids have terrible outcomes I've always worried about them. But I found one of them online! And he's doing GREAT, like really amazing. I actually feel really jealous of the life he's made for himself! He's the founder of this drill team that is somehow related to a Chicago public school and has a lot of social work-y components (like tutoring to help the kids keep their GPA's up enough to stay in the team, after school stuff). So, in a way, he's doing what I was doing with him, except he's doing it on a grander much more awesomer scale! This is the team:
Great story Jayne!

Wow! He really did a great job with those kids. And man alive you know it took them some serious effort and practice to get that good
Old 02-13-2013, 01:55 PM   #382
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Hey Clueless, no I'm not taking any meds, just supplements and cod liver oil. Have been reading threads about sodium intake and am wondering if upping sodium will help. Going to try it.

I have no idea how people do it. That coffee just wouldn't sustain me, and then I'd be bummed I wasted so many calories on something that didn't hold me over.

Quote:

Golden Knights Drill Team @ The Bud Billiken Parade 2012 | Shot By @KingRtb - YouTube
That is awesome, good for him!
Old 02-13-2013, 02:29 PM   #383
Major LCF Poster!

Love that Jayne. You Rock!!!!

Nice to hear when things turn out good. I have run into some boys I kept in there school age years. They are getting into trouble and dabbling in drugs. Makes me sad! They were great kids but got downed way too much.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:43 PM   #384
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

Nice to hear when things turn out good. I have run into some boys I kept in there school age years. They are getting into trouble and dabbling in drugs. Makes me sad! They were great kids but got downed way too much.
Clueless, thats how just about everyone in my hometown is. Xanax or heroin. So glad I got outta there and moved to Hawaii! I actually met my boyfriend sitting next to me on the flight out. He completely saved my life, I could've easily gone down that road of destruction.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:14 PM   #385
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Clueless, thats how just about everyone in my hometown is. Xanax or heroin. So glad I got outta there and moved to Hawaii! I actually met my boyfriend sitting next to me on the flight out. He completely saved my life, I could've easily gone down that road of destruction.
Wow, glad to hear it. You were smart to get away from people that drag you down!
Old 02-13-2013, 03:14 PM   #386
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I totally agree. Sick kids will not be as tasty as cabbage.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:25 PM   #387
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

I am a person that is really hungry in the mornings. I have been trying to do CO and HWC in the am. MY stomach growls all morning. I get up @4:30 and have been trying to eat lunch at 12. I am starved by then but I am hoping it will get easier I have been hungry but not shakey or grumpy, so thats a plus.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:29 PM   #388
Major LCF Poster!

log for today

Calories 1637
fat 135 74%
Pro 90 21%
Carb 19 5%

Breakfast CO/ HWC
Lunch bacon and eggs
Dinner Baked swai(with the bacon mayo) salad/ cole slaw
snack salami and cream cheese
Old 02-13-2013, 03:44 PM   #389
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: zgirl
Quote:
Yeah that bouillon and HWC does sound really good.

You could get some veggie bouillon for today. You are drinking it for the sodium and it should be about the same between the two just make sure it isn't marked 'low sodium'. It won't have any more carbs than the chicken or beef but check the label just in case. One carb isn't a big deal though if it even has that much.

I didn't want to buy the veggie bouillon when I probably won't use it for any other purpose except for six Fridays during Lent! But thanks for the suggestion. It's really the intent behind abstaining from meat that is the important thing, and I missed my bacon and carnitas, that's for sure!

Quote:
Tastes like cream of chicken, right? Bouillon is also good with butter missed in.
I guess I have to try it with butter now...

Quote:
Today was an exception for me because I had church in the morning. Otherwise there's no way I can go without breakfast - I usually have my coffee with generous amounts of HWC and CO and a lot of bacon

Quote:
zgirl, Welcome! I'm going to put another vote in for upping your sodium. When I was pregnant (and I know that's such a different thing, but...) I was hugely swollen and MORE salt really helped. I'm a big believer now.
Thanks for the welcome, Rubidoux! Nice to meet you. Yes, I'm going to keep up with the sodium and see if it makes a difference. So far I seem to have a bit more energy already and my ring is really loose (though it usually gets that way by the afternoon even if it's tight in the morning). That is such a great story about the kid you worked with - just goes to show that when you do something good for someone else, it can have a much more powerful and far-reaching effect than you ever imagined. Awesome!
Old 02-13-2013, 03:53 PM   #390
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Quote:

Quote:
Thanks you guys! I'm still smiling ear to ear!

When I was a teenager I was pretty wild and left home very young and did all sorts of things that would make my heart stop if I knew my kids were doing them. But my sense is that things are just worse and more intense now. I feel like I'm too young to feel nostalgic for the simpler days when pot was just pot and girls didn't have to worry about photos showing up on the internet and first graders weren't eligible for expulsion for sexual harassment. It seems like such a mine field out there for young people today.

So, I really wanted that soup, but didn't have any broth... so I ended up making the creamy taco soup sans soup, so it turned out like creamy chili and it was pretty darned yummy. And I may never be hungry again. Plus, it had quite a few calories so I may very well manage to hit a suitable number today. I'm a little scared I'm gonna go over, since I'm already at my usually daily total and it's not even 4 pm yet.

Clueless, What time do you finish eating for the day? You had your stats all done today before the time I usually have my first meal, even accounting for the time difference.
Closed Thread