Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2013, 10:54 PM   #31
Senior LCF Member
 
MerryKate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sequim, WA
Posts: 671
Gallery: MerryKate
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: LC: 04/11 • NK 10/12
Does anyone know if there is any truth to the claims that eating coconut oil can rev up your thyroid? I came across my test results earlier and discovered my thyroid is actually working better since I started low-carbing.
MerryKate is offline  

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2013, 03:08 AM   #32
Senior LCF Member
 
BigRunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Kansas
Posts: 612
Gallery: BigRunner
Stats: 247/190/168
WOE: Paleo/Primal
A little up and down, but overall weight trending down and ketones staying in a very good range.

Weight: 201 --> 199 --> 198 --> 198 --> 197 --> 197 --> 196--> 197.5--> 195.5--> 195--> 195--> 197--> 197--> 194
BK: 2.1 --> 2.8 --> 3.2 --> 2.8 --> 2.6 --> 2.2 --> 2.4--> 1.7 --> 3.0--> 3.3--> 2.4--> 2.5--> 1.8--> 2.4
BigRunner is offline  
Old 02-04-2013, 04:05 AM   #33
Major LCF Poster!
 
portcop01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: virginia
Posts: 1,279
Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Morning all just checking in! Not doing good on diet her in PR food is different had couple drinks but this is one of a life time things so I'm not to worried will get right back on track when I get home weather is 82-85 here ever day beaches are blue!
portcop01 is offline  
Old 02-04-2013, 06:13 AM   #34
Major LCF Poster!
 
mom2zeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,591
Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee View Post
@Kristn, wow you have lost a lot of weight. Impressive! Can I ask how long you have been maintaining?
Thanks Dee. I've been LC for over 11 years and have been maintaining a large loss (80-90lb) for ~10 years. More recently I lost 30 pounds in 2012 and finally reached my goal weight. Here's what I posted when I hit my goal in August: It only took 11 years!!.

Last edited by mom2zeke; 02-04-2013 at 06:34 AM..
mom2zeke is offline  
Old 02-04-2013, 06:24 AM   #35
Major LCF Poster!
 
mom2zeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,591
Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryKate View Post
Does anyone know if there is any truth to the claims that eating coconut oil can rev up your thyroid? I came across my test results earlier and discovered my thyroid is actually working better since I started low-carbing.
I don't know that there's conclusive evidence about any of this thyroid stuff. It's great to know that at least one person's thyroid numbers are better with this WOE! I wish I had test results for the past 20 years. I just let doctors tell me I was okay and never asked for the results. Lesson learned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRunner View Post
A little up and down, but overall weight trending down and ketones staying in a very good range.

Weight: 201 --> 199 --> 198 --> 198 --> 197 --> 197 --> 196--> 197.5--> 195.5--> 195--> 195--> 197--> 197--> 194
BK: 2.1 --> 2.8 --> 3.2 --> 2.8 --> 2.6 --> 2.2 --> 2.4--> 1.7 --> 3.0--> 3.3--> 2.4--> 2.5--> 1.8--> 2.4
Woo hoo BigRunner!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
Morning all just checking in! Not doing good on diet her in PR food is different had couple drinks but this is one of a life time things so I'm not to worried will get right back on track when I get home weather is 82-85 here ever day beaches are blue!
Great to hear from you Becky! It sounds like you're having a fantastic time.
mom2zeke is offline  
Old 02-04-2013, 06:29 AM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
drjlocarb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4,340
Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Stats to date

Date- bk - bg
1-17, 0.2- 117
1-18, 0.5- 110
1-19, 0.3- 112
1-20, 0.3- 112
1-21, 0.5- 111
1-22, 0.5- 111
1-23, 0.2- 115
1-24, 1.3- 109
cont.
1-25, 0.2- 97---wt 242.5
1-26, 0.4- 99----243
1-27, 0.7- 104---244
1-28, 0.8- 107---241
1-29, 0.9- 107---241
1-30, 0.5- 115---241
1-31, 0.8- 116---241
2- 1, 1.1- 107---241
2- 2, 0.4- 102---241
2- 3, 0.4- 87----239


I didn't test during the first part of January because it would have been a waste of strips. I didn't record weight until the 25th because it would have included too much water weight loss and not true fat loss.

I am not down to my true "stalled" weight, so I'm not celebrating just yet. I took some bad advice last Fall to increase my calories and gained some weight that I'm still fighting to lose. I don't think there will be much improvement until my blood glucose levels are down to a normal range. I am not diabetic or pre-diabetic.
drjlocarb is offline  
Old 02-04-2013, 06:29 AM   #37
Chatty Cathy
 
clackley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Ontario
Posts: 16,620
Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Good morning all!! I want to be just like Kristn only I don't want it to take another 7 or so yrs.!!!

Super bowl party did not derail me as I had feared. In fact, my ketones are up!! 3.1 today and b.g. 4.8. Weight - the same...... This is in fact a good thing as I am now 6 days without berberine which helped me re-lose 7 or 8 lbs..
clackley is online now  
Old 02-04-2013, 07:19 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member
 
lowcarbella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 432
Gallery: lowcarbella
Stats: 241(pregnancy highest)/175/150(or 20-25%BF)
WOE: LCHF/NK my way
Start Date: Feb 2012
[QUOTE=mom2zeke;16235335]Congratulations on your loss! What level of protein are you currently eating. I stick to a pretty low amount myself to stay in ketosis. Some of us seem to do better that way.
[/QOUTE]

Kristn,on fat fast days where I eat only cream cheese spreads and sour cream ,protein is really low.On Modified Fat fast(for me),I also eat 2 oz meat 2 times and rest is cream cheese only,sometimes cheddar 2 oz too for 4-5 meals calories in 1000-1200 range and I think protein may come upto 40 grams most.Any higher I go ,can't lose,even gain.
On every calculator online ,my protein(required) levels range from 68-120.

But that simply doesn't work for me at all

I cud eat cream cheese (without sweetener of course) and seems to lose weight,even if slow.But the moment I add some meat ,bam, I am out of ketosis.My body is really putting up a fight and I am not giving up.
So for now my new plan is be very strict for monday and tuesday,then add meat for rest of the days.That way I maintain my loss.

But its not easy,I am constantly thinking of food.My leg pain is healing so maybe I will start walking more.

BTW has anyone tried chia seeds.How has it affected your ketone levels?how about weight loss.I want to try in my morning pudding of cream cheese and mascarpone.but scared it may not work.I need more calcium.and tired of eating sardines.

I am hanging on by a thread,but I haven't lost my grip
__________________
Starting weight:241 current weight:175 Goal:150ish
mini goal :184 reached
mini goal :180 reached
mini goal : 175 reached
mega goal : 170 : Combined weights of 3 pregnancies will be gone forever
mega goal : 150 :
mega goal : tone allover,close and repair my diastasis and hernia
Push yourself. Because no one else is going to do it for you.
lowcarbella is offline  
Old 02-04-2013, 07:22 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member
 
UnstrungHarp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Middle TN
Posts: 159
Gallery: UnstrungHarp
Stats: 147/141/120
WOE: NK; HF/MP/LC
Start Date: November 1, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Lindsay, it seems that the posted text may have been from blogger Paul Jaminet of the perfect health diet.?

As Phillip has pointed out, we need to be a bit cautious with ranges and standards etc. when it comes to so much in our health care system because they are all framed within a carby woe and I do think it makes a pretty big difference particularly when considering that we are ketogenic.

My #'s for today are 2.1 ketones and 4.8 b.g.. My b.g levels have been rising over the past weeks and was happy to see this lower one today. It is interesting that there appears to be some correlation between the 2 because my ketones had been falling at a similiar rate that my b.g. was rising. I am not diabetic so this is weird.
You're right, it was Paul Jaminet's blog. I had never heard of him or the perfect health diet until looking up these thyroid/LC/cholesterol questions. I was terribly interested in his other posts I found about "the dangers of zero carb diets," "glucose deficiency," etc. just because I always like to have my beliefs challenged every once in a while to keep me honest and thinking critically. He certainly gave me a lot to think about when it comes to the possibility of changing my WOE after I find out my thyroid test results. I have already determined what my "action plan" will be if I find out that my thyroid numbers are off. I won't go into all of the details here, but by searching online for his name and some of the keywords I mentioned above, it should be easy to find his blog posts. I have not read his book but was considering buying it. I won't be jumping on any other bandwagons any time soon but might take some of his ideas and incorporate them in a TKD (targeted ketogenic diet) kind of way.

The thing is, I am not concerned about my LDL numbers (I think?!?)....only how they might affect whether or not I can stay in the psoriasis clinical trial. I do NOT want to go back to having half my body covered in itchy, red, scaly patches.
__________________
** Lindsay **
UnstrungHarp is offline  
Old 02-04-2013, 08:11 AM   #40
Chatty Cathy
 
clackley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Ontario
Posts: 16,620
Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I am familiar with that blogger and his take on 'healthy starches' and I guess it is fine for those that are not as metobolically challenged as I am. I have a quote in my signature that defines very well on my take on that.

Anecdotal contrast to thyroid issues..... I dug up a blood panel that was done before I started this 3+ yrs of low carbing and was at my heaviest and it turns out my TSH was further out of range than it is now. I was within range until recently. That would suggest that being ketogenic had a positive effect on my thyroid.
__________________
Cathy
Original start - Feb. 2000 180/125

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is online now  
Old 02-04-2013, 08:12 AM   #41
Chatty Cathy
 
clackley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Ontario
Posts: 16,620
Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryKate View Post
Does anyone know if there is any truth to the claims that eating coconut oil can rev up your thyroid? I came across my test results earlier and discovered my thyroid is actually working better since I started low-carbing.
I use coconut oil to rev up my ketones - I have never heard that it is good for thyroid function but if there is some evidence to that effect, I would love to hear about it!
clackley is online now  
Old 02-04-2013, 10:30 AM   #42
dee
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 185
Gallery: dee
Stats: (HW196)188/181.4/145
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart Nov 26.13 (formerly HHCG 2 rounds)
I love love love reading success stories! Thanks for sharing yours, Kristn! The pictures show the amazing transformation....and convince me that I can do this! I want to lose 40 lbs and when I read success stories like yours....my road doesn't seem quite so bumpy. I hope I look as fabulous as you when I'm 50!! (Only a few years away). Thanks so much for sharing!
dee is offline  
Old 02-04-2013, 02:49 PM   #43
Senior LCF Member
 
bjjcaveman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 130
Gallery: bjjcaveman
Stats: 180.0/180.4/165.0
WOE: nutritional ketosis
It looks like bigrunner is going to be the next big success story! Those are great numbers!
bjjcaveman is offline  
Old 02-04-2013, 10:05 PM   #44
Senior LCF Member
 
MerryKate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sequim, WA
Posts: 671
Gallery: MerryKate
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: LC: 04/11 • NK 10/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnstrungHarp View Post
The thing is, I am not concerned about my LDL numbers (I think?!?)....only how they might affect whether or not I can stay in the psoriasis clinical trial. I do NOT want to go back to having half my body covered in itchy, red, scaly patches.
Ouch - I don't blame you! Is there any chance the medication you're taking for the psoriasis could be stalling your weight loss? I've been surprised how many medications effect weight. :/
MerryKate is offline  
Old 02-04-2013, 10:16 PM   #45
Senior LCF Member
 
MerryKate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sequim, WA
Posts: 671
Gallery: MerryKate
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: LC: 04/11 • NK 10/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcarbella View Post
...has anyone tried chia seeds? How has it affected your ketone levels?how about weight loss.
I've eaten chia seeds without any impact to my ketone levels, and I think it's been good for my weight loss when I eat them. The fiber certainly helps keep things regular. They do have a bit of protein to them, fwiw, but probably not enough to keep you from losing. I'd much rather eat them than the psyllium husks I was using for the same purproses.

For my check-in, I've been up and down the scale a lot this week, so when I received my strips in the mail I decided to test my ketones. I normally do morning, but tonight was before dinner, with an empty stomach. My ketones were 1.6, and my blood sugar was 78. I'll check my ketones again tomorrow morning, but it gives me some encouragement that NK is still working for me.
MerryKate is offline  
Old 02-05-2013, 05:04 AM   #46
Senior LCF Member
 
UnstrungHarp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Middle TN
Posts: 159
Gallery: UnstrungHarp
Stats: 147/141/120
WOE: NK; HF/MP/LC
Start Date: November 1, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryKate View Post
Ouch - I don't blame you! Is there any chance the medication you're taking for the psoriasis could be stalling your weight loss? I've been surprised how many medications effect weight. :/
There is always a chance, but that's not one of the side effects that they warned me about. They've already studied this drug extensively in other trials prior to this one, so if there was a trend of people gaining weight in the other studies, they should have mentioned it (not saying they certainly would have, but they should have!).

The primary side effects were: more susceptibility to infection and raised cholesterol. Until now, I haven't had either of those side effects. But I have gained 20 pounds over the course of the trial. Coincidentally (?), I also went through early menopause last year, which I am more inclined to believe is the culprit for the weight gain. I've been managing the menopause symptoms with a low dose birth control pill since I was diagnosed (is that the right word to use?) as being post-menopausal last August, and I haven't gained any more weight since then. Started NK on November 1, still haven't gained beyond my highest weight, but also haven't lost any more than 3-4 pounds.

I am really hoping that managing my hormones, rather than dropping the psoriasis drug, will be the missing piece to the weight loss puzzle for me.
UnstrungHarp is offline  
Old 02-05-2013, 05:22 AM   #47
Senior LCF Member
 
UnstrungHarp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Middle TN
Posts: 159
Gallery: UnstrungHarp
Stats: 147/141/120
WOE: NK; HF/MP/LC
Start Date: November 1, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
I am familiar with that blogger and his take on 'healthy starches' and I guess it is fine for those that are not as metobolically challenged as I am. I have a quote in my signature that defines very well on my take on that.

Anecdotal contrast to thyroid issues..... I dug up a blood panel that was done before I started this 3+ yrs of low carbing and was at my heaviest and it turns out my TSH was further out of range than it is now. I was within range until recently. That would suggest that being ketogenic had a positive effect on my thyroid.
I think he says that for some people, a very low carb/100% ketogenic diet may be the only thing that works for them, so there may not really be such a thing as "healthy starches" for them. That's wonderful that going low carb appears to have helped your thyroid - it sounds like you may have found the WOE that your body is going to be happier with!

In my case, I don't think that I have really had a metabolism problem until the past 2 years or so. I've always had really great numbers when it comes to blood sugar, blood pressure, and (until now) cholesterol/triglycerides. And I guess you could say I wasn't at all overweight at 126 pounds a couple of years ago, which was my weight on the doctor's scales prior to going through early menopause the following year at the age of 31. I have just always been unhappy with my weight, ever since I was old enough to think about weight. I wasn't even satisfied at 120 pounds several years ago...which was my lowest weight ever, as an adult. But then, I had no idea that I would suddenly gain 20 pounds for no apparent reason and be unable to even get 5 of them back off. What I wouldn't give to get back to that 120 pounds now!
UnstrungHarp is offline  
Old 02-05-2013, 05:27 AM   #48
Senior LCF Member
 
UnstrungHarp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Middle TN
Posts: 159
Gallery: UnstrungHarp
Stats: 147/141/120
WOE: NK; HF/MP/LC
Start Date: November 1, 2012
One more post before I go to the doctor. (Is it weird that I'm terribly excited to go have blood work done??!?)

Weight (starting 1/26)
143.8 --> 144.4 --> 144.0 --> 143.0 --> 143 --> 145 --> 144.8 --> 143.8 --> 144.2 --> 143.6 --> 144.2


Ketones
2.2 --> 1.8 --> 2.1 --> 1.8 --> 2.2 --> 2.2 --> 2.2 --> 2.1 --> 2.8 --> 1.7 --> 2.6
UnstrungHarp is offline  
Old 02-05-2013, 06:10 AM   #49
Major LCF Poster!
 
mom2zeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,591
Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Lindsay--I don't think it's a coincidence that you started this drug, went into early menopause, and gained 20 pounds. Despite what Paul Jaminet says I also don't think it's because you're not eating enough safe starches.

Hopefully all of your testing will give you some clues and a place to start!
mom2zeke is offline  
Old 02-05-2013, 07:55 AM   #50
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Buffy45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Lewisville, TX USA
Posts: 8,911
Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Just peeking in to say hello. I am still slowly recovering so not much to add or say. I am off NK for now, trying adding in more carbs to see if that gave me more energy, really can't say, I am slowly getting back to normal but not sure if it is just time or WOE.

Go back to Dr. Friday and will have blood drawn again, sodium is too low.

Keep up the good work, research and gaining knowledge, I am rooting for all of you.
Buffy45 is offline  
Old 02-05-2013, 08:00 AM   #51
Senior LCF Member
 
MerryKate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sequim, WA
Posts: 671
Gallery: MerryKate
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: LC: 04/11 • NK 10/12
Morning check-in: ketones 1.1, so I'm safely in "the zone". Now I just have to learn some patience with my weight loss...and everything else!
MerryKate is offline  
Old 02-05-2013, 05:36 PM   #52
Senior LCF Member
 
UnstrungHarp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Middle TN
Posts: 159
Gallery: UnstrungHarp
Stats: 147/141/120
WOE: NK; HF/MP/LC
Start Date: November 1, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
Lindsay--I don't think it's a coincidence that you started this drug, went into early menopause, and gained 20 pounds. Despite what Paul Jaminet says I also don't think it's because you're not eating enough safe starches.

Hopefully all of your testing will give you some clues and a place to start!
You could be right. I've given it some serious thought today, especially since I have now pinpointed the time when my cholesterol actually started to rise...after they increased my dose of the drug from 10mg a day to 20mg. I never noticed that before. I've saved all my blood test results from every visit, and my cholesterol was great throughout the whole six months I was on the lower dose. It even improved by the end of the six months! The thing is...my psoriasis didn't improve while I was on the lower dose - hence why I was increased to the higher one.

The missing piece of data is when my weight started to go up. I think I will call the clinic tomorrow and see if they can check my file to see what my weight was at all the checkups. I only have a record of my weight from my very first screening at the beginning of the study (and of course, now).

I'll post separately about the ups and downs of today's doctor visit.
UnstrungHarp is offline  
Old 02-05-2013, 06:16 PM   #53
Senior LCF Member
 
UnstrungHarp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Middle TN
Posts: 159
Gallery: UnstrungHarp
Stats: 147/141/120
WOE: NK; HF/MP/LC
Start Date: November 1, 2012
Had that appointment with my ob/gyn today. I have to say I'm not too happy about my discussion with her, although I am pleased that she agreed to order all the blood tests I wanted (full thyroid panel, cortisol, vitamin D) in addition to the ones she thought I should have (FSH, prolactin). They are supposed to mail me the results. Her attitude regarding thyroid was that she expected my results to be completely normal.

I feel a bit too exhausted at the moment to remember/report everything about our conversation. I'm just disappointed, basically. She is firmly in the low calorie camp, to the tune of 800-1,000 calories a day for a woman to expect to lose weight. She did use the phrase "low carb, high protein" once. No mention of fat. Her example of her own daily diet included a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast, some form of meat and vegetable for lunch, and either a protein bar or protein shake for dinner. Diluted Gatorade for a snack (). She "stays on a diet" all the time. Imagine that. She is also involved with the weight loss clinic next door, and this low calorie regimen is what they recommend to all their patients.

I had come into the appointment with a page of notes to discuss about why I thought my thyroid could be messed up as well as other points/questions, but we never made it past "weight gain/inability to lose weight" once she saw that my average calorie intake for the month of January was 1,500. I said my diet was very low carb, adequate protein and high fat, but she never asked what those numbers were... just immediately jumped on the calories. She also assumed I was sedentary until I mentioned that I have this slight obsession with exercise that you guys might remember me posting about from time to time. After clearing up that misunderstanding, she still did not change her calorie recommendation. It did not take too many comments from her before I decided to save my breath and not mention anything about ketosis, or even anything else related to hypothyroid...since obviously it's a simple matter of me overeating, and I must be perfectly healthy otherwise. It felt like when she agreed to the blood tests, she was just humoring me.

I have a feeling that when I receive the results in the mail, I'm gonna be 100% on my own when it comes to interpretation and treatment. That's okay, I don't want a prescription for diluted Gatorade anyway.
UnstrungHarp is offline  
Old 02-05-2013, 06:29 PM   #54
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
drjlocarb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4,340
Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Wow! How frustrating!
drjlocarb is offline  
Old 02-05-2013, 07:15 PM   #55
Senior LCF Member
 
MerryKate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sequim, WA
Posts: 671
Gallery: MerryKate
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: LC: 04/11 • NK 10/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnstrungHarp View Post
She is firmly in the low calorie camp, to the tune of 800-1,000 calories a day for a woman to expect to lose weight.
800-1,000? Sheesh. Even the majority of "experts" who tout a low-calorie, high carb diet would agree a woman shouldn't be dropping her calories below 1200/day. I'm sorry you have such a twit for a doctor. :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnstrungHarp View Post
I have a feeling that when I receive the results in the mail, I'm gonna be 100% on my own when it comes to interpretation and treatment. That's okay, I don't want a prescription for diluted Gatorade anyway.
Could you switch to another physician for the follow-up? There are open-minded doctors out there - I've been seeing a Nurse Practitioner for a few years and she's been very encouraging about my low-carb diet. I think it didn't hurt that I'd lost 30 lbs. between visits. It's hard to argue with success, and she's a 50-something who also struggles with her weight, so she actually wound up asking me for diet advice. Shop around - you don't have to stick with a physician you can't take seriously.
MerryKate is offline  
Old 02-05-2013, 08:08 PM   #56
Junior LCF Member
 
clairie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: bay area, ca
Posts: 55
Gallery: clairie
Stats: 175/168/140
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: 9/12
When I was gaining weight uncontrollably a few years back (pre T3 diagnosis) the doctor I was seeing at the time ( a woman) told me to stop being so vain about my looks and to just be a supportive wife to my husband and be a good mother- that was my role now.

I left her after that.

Doctors in my experience have very little nutritional knowledge. They might have taken one course in med school - and that might be from 20 years ago! We have to do so much research on our own.

Good luck finding a better doc. They are out there! Just takes time.
__________________
clairie is offline  
Old 02-06-2013, 06:05 AM   #57
Chatty Cathy
 
clackley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Ontario
Posts: 16,620
Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Lindsay, has your doctor ever heard the phrase, "do not harm"? Sorry she gave you such cruddy advice. As I like to say, they are our consultants. She agreed to the blood panels so at least you will have something to go on.

Still in the zone.... ketones - 1.3 and b.g. 5.1 (91.8).
clackley is online now  
Old 02-06-2013, 06:33 AM   #58
Senior LCF Member
 
Yvonnem2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 461
Gallery: Yvonnem2000
Stats: 148.6/151/135
WOE: Atkins Induction + veggies
Start Date: April 2012
This week's report:

Week 1:
148.2
presumably not in ketosis

Week 2:
146.6
bk 0.7

Week 3:
147.0
bk 1.1

Of course I'm disappointed about the weight gain. But, I'm the first to admit I haven't been setting a goal for calories, just carbs and protein. This week I'll bring the calories down and see where they need to be.

Lindsay, I'm so disappointed for you. I know you were really looking forward to getting some answers. I can't believe that dr.'s personal diet. Yuck. Certainly not someone whose opinion you can trust for nutrition. I hope you get some value from the labs at least.
Yvonnem2000 is offline  
Old 02-06-2013, 02:58 PM   #59
Senior LCF Member
 
bjjcaveman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 130
Gallery: bjjcaveman
Stats: 180.0/180.4/165.0
WOE: nutritional ketosis
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnstrungHarp View Post
Had that appointment with my ob/gyn today. I have to say I'm not too happy about my discussion with her, although I am pleased that she agreed to order all the blood tests I wanted (full thyroid panel, cortisol, vitamin D) in addition to the ones she thought I should have (FSH, prolactin). They are supposed to mail me the results. Her attitude regarding thyroid was that she expected my results to be completely normal.

I feel a bit too exhausted at the moment to remember/report everything about our conversation. I'm just disappointed, basically. She is firmly in the low calorie camp, to the tune of 800-1,000 calories a day for a woman to expect to lose weight. She did use the phrase "low carb, high protein" once. No mention of fat. Her example of her own daily diet included a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast, some form of meat and vegetable for lunch, and either a protein bar or protein shake for dinner. Diluted Gatorade for a snack (). She "stays on a diet" all the time. Imagine that. She is also involved with the weight loss clinic next door, and this low calorie regimen is what they recommend to all their patients.

I had come into the appointment with a page of notes to discuss about why I thought my thyroid could be messed up as well as other points/questions, but we never made it past "weight gain/inability to lose weight" once she saw that my average calorie intake for the month of January was 1,500. I said my diet was very low carb, adequate protein and high fat, but she never asked what those numbers were... just immediately jumped on the calories. She also assumed I was sedentary until I mentioned that I have this slight obsession with exercise that you guys might remember me posting about from time to time. After clearing up that misunderstanding, she still did not change her calorie recommendation. It did not take too many comments from her before I decided to save my breath and not mention anything about ketosis, or even anything else related to hypothyroid...since obviously it's a simple matter of me overeating, and I must be perfectly healthy otherwise. It felt like when she agreed to the blood tests, she was just humoring me.

I have a feeling that when I receive the results in the mail, I'm gonna be 100% on my own when it comes to interpretation and treatment. That's okay, I don't want a prescription for diluted Gatorade anyway.
Just listened to Jimmy Moore's interview with Peter Attia on the "Ask the Low Carb Friends" podcast and they raised an interesting point...

all the lab data we have now in terms of normal ranges were obtained from the standard population fed who are fed with the standard american diet!

we don't have any data regarding what's normal or abnormal for people who are low carb... let alone ketogenic.

Someone even called in asking about thyroid questions, and this was his reponse. We just don't have the data now... because having a low thyroid hormone level could be normal for someone in ketosis... the best we can do is to have you go by how you feel... if you're tired and have hypothyroid symptoms then your levels are probably too low.

this was the same response for cholesterol since some people's LDL go up when they go low carb high fat...
bjjcaveman is offline  
Old 02-06-2013, 03:37 PM   #60
Senior LCF Member
 
UnstrungHarp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Middle TN
Posts: 159
Gallery: UnstrungHarp
Stats: 147/141/120
WOE: NK; HF/MP/LC
Start Date: November 1, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by clairie View Post
When I was gaining weight uncontrollably a few years back (pre T3 diagnosis) the doctor I was seeing at the time ( a woman) told me to stop being so vain about my looks and to just be a supportive wife to my husband and be a good mother- that was my role now.

I left her after that.

Doctors in my experience have very little nutritional knowledge. They might have taken one course in med school - and that might be from 20 years ago! We have to do so much research on our own.

Good luck finding a better doc. They are out there! Just takes time.
Wow... I wonder if that's what that doctor would do if it were her in that situation!! I would think gaining weight uncontrollably is a sign that something is wrong health-wise, not just a vanity issue.

My aunt who has had thyroid problems in the past has recommended an endocrinologist. If it looks like something is off with my test results, I may see if I can get an appointment with him. She told me that back when she saw him, he wanted to test every possible thing and continue to test every three months. He also wanted to explain everything to her in detail about what the thyroid and all the hormones do, how everything interacts with everything else, etc. In other words, my dream doctor!
UnstrungHarp is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:29 PM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.