Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 05:42 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
help! what is this nausea about?

I think this is related to why I can't eat enough protein... I think I've been feeling just on the edge of nausea for some time now, days at least, maybe longer. Then yesterday I ate a whopping pound of fatty hamburger w/ cheese and sour cream. It put me on the other side of nausea, but just a tad. It was tolerable. Today I had two chicken legs at around 1 pm and then a BPC with 1.5 T kerrygold and 1.5 T coconut oil. I had never tried a BPC before and I didn't think that sounded like an insane amount of fat to put in it. I have had eggcreams w 2T CO and 2T hwc, so it didn't sound crazy. But now at almost 6 pm I feel like I am going to yak. I feel just awful!

What is this about? Is this just what I'm gonna feel like in ketosis or will my body get used to it? I think I've been in ketosis for around 3 weeks or a little more, but there has definitely been a step up in the last few days. The other day, for no reason at all, I tore up the whole back half of our house and deep cleaned it. That's not like me at all. It felt great. How do I get back to that feeling???

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb
once a day feeding
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2013, 07:28 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Yvonnem2000
Stats: 148.6/151/135
WOE: Atkins Induction + veggies
Start Date: April 2012
I don't really have answers for you. When I originally switched from regular low-carb to NK levels, I had a week of pain and nausea, pretty severe at times. I assumed it was the adjustment to the CO and the high levels of fat. But it sounds like you've had time to adapt to those, so I don't have any explanation. I hope someone else here can help more, and more importantly that it goes away soon!

If cleaning is a side effect of NK, I can't wait for it to hit me!
Yvonnem2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:08 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

It might be that I've upped the fat some lately. If so, maybe I will get used to it. I actually started feeling better about an hour after I posted. And I think I will be careful not to eat that much pure fat at once. I did used to eat fat bombs and was fine with that, but they always had peanut butter or sunflower seed butter in them, maybe that helped.

I am still on the edge though and I think I have been for days. Right now I'm eating some salmon that I baked with a pat of kerrygold on top and it's hard to get down but I'm trying to get my protein.

And I have been really wanting something that's like the direct opposite of fatty and heavy, like a cold tart apple. My kids are eating popsicles, which normally don't sound good to me at all, but right now... hmmmmm. I have one of those mio things for flavored water, maybe that will satisfy with a bunch of ice.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:31 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Have you been eating coconut oil for months? Or more just recently?

LOTS of people get nausea with coconut oil and find they do better if they increase doses gradually.
JMCM1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:53 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
Have you been eating coconut oil for months? Or more just recently?

LOTS of people get nausea with coconut oil and find they do better if they increase doses gradually.
I have been using CO forever, but not very consistently, so I'm going to be mindful of it. I'm going to go have 1 tablespoon now and hope or the best. I think one is okay.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:33 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post
I have been using CO forever, but not very consistently, so I'm going to be mindful of it. I'm going to go have 1 tablespoon now and hope or the best. I think one is okay.
Hope it goes well for you.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:22 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 20, 2012
Rubidoux, I wrote this in the other thread but not sure you saw it.. are you supplementing?

I had debilitating nausea a while back and realized it was because I was taking too much magnesium.
mizzcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:07 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

I'm actually not supplementing at all. I wish that was it!
Old 02-03-2013, 03:35 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Jayne - how are you doing today?
Still nauseated?
Old 02-04-2013, 11:49 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for asking! I'm doing okay today but I haven't eaten in about 40 hours because I've been sick. I'm feeling better, though, and have been lying here thinking about whether to have some coconut oil. Gah!
Old 02-04-2013, 11:53 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Thanks for asking! I'm doing okay today but I haven't eaten in about 40 hours because I've been sick. I'm feeling better, though, and have been lying here thinking about whether to have some coconut oil. Gah!
Yeesh!!
Maybe lay off the coconut oil until you get your protein in?

40 hours is a long time to feel sick - so sorry.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:07 PM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
I'm actually not supplementing at all. I wish that was it!

Check with your doc but you should be supplementing particularly on LC. Magnesium, CoQ10, potassium, mult-vitamin, fish oil, etc. You just need to make sure that nothing is going to be a problem with whatever medication you are taking. Like with people that take BP meds they need to be careful about potassium supplementing.

Google 'ATLCX (Episode 26): Dr. Jonny Bowden | All Things Vitamins (Supplements 101)' for a good Jimmy Moore podcast about supplementing.

reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:08 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

I will check out the podcast. Do you think I still need fish oil if I'm eating salmon most days?
Old 02-05-2013, 07:20 PM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
I will check out the podcast. Do you think I still need fish oil if I'm eating salmon most days?
Probably not necessary then Jayne. Jimmy Moore had a very good podcast with Dr. Gundry and he'd mentioned the wonderful benefits of fish oil.

Google 'atlcx-35-gundry' and the title is "EPISODE 35 on the topic “High-Fat Diets: Good vs. Bad”. It aired on January 17, 2013.

I think he said that even if you are eating a lot of fish you should still supplement with a little. Seems like he said if you don't eat a lot of fish then you should have 3 grams a day but I'd have to listen to it again to be sure.

reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:22 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Hope this isn't too personal, but any chance you are pregnant? Nausea + nesting?!
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:16 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
Hope this isn't too personal, but any chance you are pregnant? Nausea + nesting?!
Aww, I wish, I love babies! But it's pretty unlikely. I've been fixed. Truthfully, though, it reminds me a lot of being pregnant, like a low grade car sick feeling. Blech!

Now I am not feeling it most of the time, but it seems to hit around four bites into a meal. I just got done eating 6 ounces of chicken with 90 g of guacamole and . After the first few bites, each bite became successively more difficult. It took me over an hour to eat it. And so far, including the chick/guac, I've only had 640 calories today.

Later I'm going to have a cup of coconut milk/heavy cream/vanilla and 1/4 c of roasted pepitas to get my cals up a bit and add a few more grams of protein. I don't think there could be anything pukey about that.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:49 AM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
Jayne, I find I get nauseous if my fat is too high in one meal.

I really need to spread the fat thoughout the day, LOL!

The only time I don't get the nausea is with my BPC...

Maybe have a cup of nice chicken broth, with some extra salt? It may help?

Hope you feel better soon!
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:47 PM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: nancy7
Stats: 138 starting
Start Date: 10/28/2013
I see this posting is a year old but I have been on LCHF since 10/28/13 and I am so nauseated after meals. I am trying to have more fat but I just can't tolerate it. I am trying to stay very low carb as I am 60 y/o, still have hot flashes and losing very slowly. I lose 3 lbs and gain 2. (I have just about decided I am going to quit weighing. I plan to seek the care of naturopath about my hormones instead of trying to treat myself.)
If I increase my sodium, that's usually followed by severe explosive diarrhea. Any suggestions??
nancy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:23 AM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!

Nancy, have you tried celtic sea salt (or another unbleached, untreated type of sea salt)? Or salty broth? It shouldn't cause bowel problems.
Also, are you drinking enough in general?
Old 01-09-2014, 01:03 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: unna
Stats: 230/155-160/tone
WOE: Primal LCHF
Start Date: January 2012
Nancy, Have you ever had gallbladder problems?
unna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 06:31 AM   #21
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Nancy, could you share a typical day's menu with amounts?
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 01:22 AM   #22
Junior LCF Member

nausea

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Nancy, could you share a typical day's menu with amounts?
Today was actually better, I skipped coffee altogether, maybe it's coffee?
Also I had one fried egg for breakfast.

I don't have gallbladder trouble.

Prior to this I never used much salt. Now I usually use a seasoned salt on my food. I tried bulliion cubes a couple times at first back in November but that was a freaking disaster. I also read someone drinks a teaspoon of salt in a glass of warm water, I used plain sea salt that my husband has, (I have not been a believer in fancy salt) Thank God I was at home alone, horrible diarrhea. It's hard to give a typical day's diet but I will try.
I have been blending coffee with a tablespoon of coconut oil and tablespoon of butter. (my own BPC) It's delicious and filling but more often followed by nausea. At work I have a cup of coffee and use heavy cream, less nausea. I haven't been eating breakfast, I have tuna or egg salad for lunch, green salad with chicken, bacon, cheese, olive oil and vinegar for dinner. Before bed I have sardines, or buttered cheese or 4 carb yogurt from Kroger's (Carbmaster?) (I work 12 hour shifts).
If I am off, I have big green salad for lunch, or bacon and eggs. For supper, baked chicken or salmon with butter on it and salad and steamed vegetables. Also Thai curry with shrimp or chicken is SO easy to make and I use steamed cauliflower instead of rice. During the days off I try to have a couple spoons full of coconut oil. I keep reading you are supposed to have high fat content. I do use lots of butter on everything.
But, the first week was rough, I got better and now so often I am nauseated and constipation used to be a problem, wow, not any more!!
I am going to skip coffee for a while and try eating breakfast.

Thank you all so much for responding.

Last edited by nancy7; 01-10-2014 at 01:24 AM.. Reason: forgot something
Old 01-10-2014, 01:26 AM   #23
Junior LCF Member

nausea

I do drink a lot of seltzer water, club soda, tap water, tap water with crystal light, at least 3 liters a day.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:47 AM   #24
Chatty Cathy

Nancy, from the information you shared, it sounds like a good menu. My guess about what may be causing the nausea (and diarrhea) is the coconut oil. Some people can be very sensitive to it and need to start very slowly and work their way up. I found the first time I had c.o., I had an almost immediate reaction of what you describe. It had nothing to do with the actual coffee.

I cut back to 1/2 tsp. in the morning and gradually, slowly, worked my way up to 1 tbsp. I have no problems with it now.

The reason it can cause this kind of tummy trouble is that is is quickly digested and that same reason is why n.k. like it because it provides good energy.

The other thing that makes me think some people have trouble with c.o. is that their digestive system is still adjusting to a very different macro content and it takes time for some peoples enzymes to adapt.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
Old 01-10-2014, 06:30 AM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/217/199
When I was reading about you consuming the CO, I was thinking that was the problem also. I addition to what Clackley said, I strongly believe that CO kills off yeast, bacteria, and viruses lurking in our bodies. I can't point you to any specific studies, but I have read so many beneficial things about CO and what it does. I got really sick when I first started it, but now I can eat 1 tbsp in my coffee and I also make my homemade mayo using CO. I am probably up to about 1&1/2 tbsp per day, some days maybe a little more and I don't get sick from it now.

Dieting is hard;being fat is hard; choose your hard.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 06:47 AM   #26
Blabbermouth!!!

When Cathy mentioned that CO could be the problem, a light went on! I never noticed it in your menu posts, because for me it's fine. There are many people who need to go easy on the CO at first because of nausea and other bowel issues...
Old 01-11-2014, 09:33 AM   #27
Junior LCF Member

Nausea

Well I will lay off CO and see, I feel as if I have been using it forever but actually I have been using it as lotion, not eating it! Til lately. It seems like something with a bit of carbs makes me feel SO much better, like an ounce of peanuts or the carbmaster yogurt. I know I'm a carb addict.
I am a bit upset about mayo. I bought some made with olive oil, and it's got potato starch in it. Creepy texture. I would love to make my own.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:23 AM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/217/199
Nancy, I make my own Mayo and can't imagine going back. I got my recipe out of the Nourishing Traditions cookbook. I'm sure you could get a recipe online. An immersion blender is the key to success.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:30 PM   #29
Chatty Cathy

I also make my own mayo. At first I was a disaster at making it but I have now found what works for me and will never go back to store bought that I can imagine.