Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 05:20 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Flowergirl51
Favorite fat bomb recipes

Can you define fat bomb for me and explain exactly how much is ok to have and how often?

Also, I am not using artificial sweeteners, artificial anything and no eggs. What are your favorite fat bomb recipes w/out these ingredients?

Want to stay away from things that can cause inflammation in the body.

Thanks!!! Terry
Flowergirl51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2013, 05:52 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Fat Bomb is usually a generic term for any snack that is as close to 100% fat as you can get it.

I'm kinda curious to see if anyone knows how to make one without sweetener though.

I've always thought of them as sweet treats but I guess there is no reason it couldn't be a savory treat.

Right off hand you might try cream cheese and butter whipped together and then some sort of seasoning. Hmmm. A spicy rendition might be with Slap Ya Mama hot seasoning. I might have to try that myself.

reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:57 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 20, 2012
I just made some tonight for the first time, but added no sweetener!

Microwaved 8 oz coconut oil, 8 oz almond butter, and 1 stick of salted butter together, then divided it among 24 cupcake liners and froze.

An hour later I melted a stick of 85% Lindt chocolate and 2 more tbsp butter, and then dipped them all in it. Laid them out on parchment paper and refrigerated them until firm.

They tasted so amazing!
mizzcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:11 PM   #4
Avy
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avy
Stats: Start 232+/Current 178.6/First Goal 150/Final 140?
WOE: Low carb lifestyle
Start Date: June 1, 2012
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup peanut butter - crunchy is awesome
2 tbsp of cocoa powder
1 tbsp sweetener, optional

I almost never use a sweetener, but I suggest using an unsalted peanut butter...or they will have a salty taste without it.

Microwave and stir until smooth, pour into 8 cupcake liners, store in the fridge, delicious chocolately smooth melty peanut butter cups.

You can switch out the peanut butter for coconut butter/manna, or any nut butter, or just use regular butter. You can also use flavour extracts instead of the cocoa. Fat bombs are basically just a way to up your fat intake for the day without increasing protein.

Add coconut, other chopped nuts, anything you can think of. Ground flax even!

Officially down 50 lbs! Another 30 or so to my first goal, then I'll re-evaluate.

Couldn't do it without all the amazing support and motivation from this forum and all the wonderful people here.

Last edited by Avy; 01-27-2013 at 06:13 PM..
Avy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:11 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzcase View Post

Microwaved 8 oz coconut oil, 8 oz almond butter, and 1 stick of salted butter together, then divided it among 24 cupcake liners and froze.

An hour later I melted a stick of 85% Lindt chocolate and 2 more tbsp butter, and then dipped them all in it. Laid them out on parchment paper and refrigerated them until firm.

They tasted so amazing!

That does sound pretty dang tasty

Did you sample them without the chocolate dip?

Last edited by reddarin; 01-27-2013 at 06:13 PM..
Old 01-27-2013, 06:18 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Galveston Gal
Stats: 5'0"
WOE: Low Carb/High Fat
I call mine "pretend pb fudge":

4T. EVCO
1T. Natural peanut butter
2T. EAS whey protein powder
1t. cinnamon
2pkt. Splenda

Melt---Mix---Spoon into 12 equal parts of the silicone mini muffins pan.
Refrigerate till firm...pop them out....discs of YUM!
Store in a ziploc in the frig. 3 to a serving.
Galveston Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:44 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Right off hand you might try cream cheese and butter whipped together and then some sort of seasoning. Hmmm. A spicy rendition might be with Slap Ya Mama hot seasoning. I might have to try that myself.

This sounds interesting. I like Frank's Red Hot for buffalo wings so would probably try it with that. But would it taste good cold?
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:48 PM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
This sounds interesting. I like Frank's Red Hot for buffalo wings so would probably try it with that. But would it taste good cold?
Room temp was what I had in mind but I bet it'd be excellent cold. I'm out of cream cheese but I'll get some Tuesday and try it in a few days.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:58 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
That does sound pretty dang tasty

Did you sample them without the chocolate dip?
Yeah, I couldn't get passed the coconut oil taste/sensation (you know, the way it feels cold in your mouth?).. once I dipped in chocolate, they tasted like a coconut Reese's!

BTW, I used salted creamy almond butter and salted butter.. I prefer salty to sweet any day of the week.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:55 AM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Zyllah
Although not exactly a fat bomb I've been making crustless quiche which is high fat/low protein for the times when I want to feel like I'm eating. The ratio is a quarter cup of cream for each egg along with an oz of cheese. You obviously could adjust the ratio of cheese if you wanted. I also get bacon ends and cut up the fatty bits. For 12 'muffins' I use 5 eggs, 1 and quarter cups of cream and 5 oz of cheese.
Zyllah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:29 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: KnotDreams
Quote:

They tasted so amazing!
I made some using similar ingredients (I used coconut butter rather than coconut oil.), but added in the Lindt bar with the butters. I froze into 48 mini cupcake liners, making each serving 1/2 oz. No sweetener needed. They are so good that I have to keep them in the basement freezer, or I'd be tempted to have one every time I walk by the refrigerator.

-Karen
KnotDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:50 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Thanks. Sounds like really good ideas. I'm being very strict about not eating sugar because I'm aiming to starve cancer cells and shrink tumors with the ketogenic paleo way. Paleo means I don't normally eat dairy unless I can find raw cheese. So...hmmm we'll see...I'll check out the amount of sugar/carbs in the Lindt bars but I'm thinking that unsweetened cocoa may be the best way to go for me right now. I hope I don't fall asleep tonight dreaming about Reese peanut butter cups. LOL. GOOD news is I'm definitely in ketosis so I'm feeling very optimistic about those cancer cells dying off. Terry
Old 01-28-2013, 05:58 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jillybean720
Stats: 324/193/150
WOE: LC/HF
I've been making mine using erythritol instead of artificial sweeteners. Might that be an option? I've also used Truvia, which is erythritol and stevia. I just Googled erythritol and inflammation and didn't come across anything, but that's obviously not the most conclusive research
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:29 PM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowergirl51 View Post
Thanks. Sounds like really good ideas. I'm being very strict about not eating sugar because I'm aiming to starve cancer cells and shrink tumors with the ketogenic paleo way. Paleo means I don't normally eat dairy unless I can find raw cheese. So...hmmm we'll see...I'll check out the amount of sugar/carbs in the Lindt bars but I'm thinking that unsweetened cocoa may be the best way to go for me right now. I hope I don't fall asleep tonight dreaming about Reese peanut butter cups. LOL. GOOD news is I'm definitely in ketosis so I'm feeling very optimistic about those cancer cells dying off. Terry
Wow Terry! That is terrible about your condition. I hope you get well.

Aren't artificial sweeteners okay? I mean outside of the restrictions of Paleo.

I have seen that mentioned by various LC docs. LC is the best diet for cancer.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:48 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
You could use stevia as a sweetener - it doesn't affect blood sugar, and it wouldn't "feed" tumor cells. You might also try monk fruit, AKA lo han guo - it's naturally 300x sweeter than sugar, with no blood sugar effect, and doesn't have nasty side-effects; it's been used in china for 1,000 years for diabetes. On wikipedia they mention that it appears to have anticancer properties as well. Sounds too good to be true, eh?

My basic fat bomb recipe is 4 TB nut butter, 4 TB coconut oil and 4 TB butter (you could substitute another type of oil instead), plus 1 TB of dark cocoa powder and sweetener to taste. Mix it all together, divide it among 12 silicone mini-muffin cups and stick it in the freezer for 10 minutes. I vary it by changing up the nut butters and occasionally I'll put extra pecan pieces in it for crunch. Liquid stevia works pretty well for the sweetener, but do not heat it in the microwave - it goes bitter. Add it to your recipe after everything is already melted.

I also second the suggestion of coconut butter, also called coconut manna. It's really rich, and easy to eat too much by the spoonful. It has some natural sweetness to it, but it's pretty low-carb, so you could make some good fat bombs with that.

Last edited by MerryKate; 01-28-2013 at 10:54 PM..
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:54 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryKate View Post
You could use stevia as a sweetener - it doesn't affect blood sugar, and it wouldn't "feed" tumor cells. You might also try monk fruit, AKA lo han guo - it's naturally 300x sweeter than sugar, with no blood sugar effect, and doesn't have nasty side-effects; it's been used in china for 1,000 years for diabetes. On wikipedia they mention that it appears to have anticancer properties as well. Sounds too good to be true, eh?

My basic fat bomb recipe is 4 TB nut butter, 4 TB coconut oil and 4 TB butter (you could substitute another type of oil instead), plus 1 TB of dark cocoa powder and sweetener to taste. Mix it all together, divide it among 12 silicone mini-muffin cups and stick it in the freezer for 10 minutes. I vary it by changing up the nut butters and occasionally I'll put extra pecan pieces in it for crunch. Liquid stevia works pretty well for the sweetener, but do not heat it in the microwave - it goes bitter. Add it to your recipe after everything is already melted.

I also second the suggestion of coconut butter, also called coconut manna. It's really rich, and easy to eat too much by the spoonful. It has some natural sweetness to it, but it's pretty low-carb, so you could make some good fat bombs with that.
Mm that recipe sounds good! Do you ever use peanut butter? I know Atkins people don't like to use it because of it being a legume, but I've noticed its a bit lower in carbs than almond butter.

Also, do you mind telling what the difference in taste is between coconut butter & oil?
Old 01-29-2013, 07:49 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
Yes, I do use peanut butter. I have to use it in recipes...if I eat it by the spoonful I have a hard time stopping. The coconut butter has coconut meat in it, so it's a stronger, sweeter coconut flavor.
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:03 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jillybean720
Stats: 324/193/150
WOE: LC/HF
Quote:
Mm that recipe sounds good! Do you ever use peanut butter? I know Atkins people don't like to use it because of it being a legume, but I've noticed its a bit lower in carbs than almond butter.
ha, and see, I've been using almond butter instead of peanut butter because so much of almond butter's carbs are fiber, so much lower in net carbs than peanut butter! Funny how we each look at things so differently
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:15 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: healed01
Stats: 183/142/135
WOE: Atkins/low carb
Start Date: May 23 2008
Not sure I would say it is my favorite as I have yet to taste it but I found a bottle of Raw Tahini (ground sesame seed butter) in my fridge:

1/2cup of CO, Butter and Tahini melted and divided.

We'll see how it tastes!
healed01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:20 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Lots of good ideas here. I'll need to do some research on stevia and cancer. I tend to want to do w/out any sweeteners, artif. or otherwise as they all go through a refining process and who really knows how they effect us on a cellular level. When I put finely shredded unsw coconut in the bombs they taste pretty good. T
Old 03-20-2014, 12:06 PM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: YamaBlonde
Stats: 317/288/165
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 21st of August 2010
FAT BOMBS

Can Macadamia Butter be used instead of Peanut or Almond Butter?
YamaBlonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:48 PM   #22
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/180/135 (19-Aug)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
Yes, you would want it to have no added sugar.

Main objective here - high fat and minimal or no carbs

That actually sound like it might be good. If you come up with a recipe that works, please post to this thread - I would be very interested.
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 02:29 PM   #23
A57
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: A57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galveston Gal View Post
I call mine "pretend pb fudge":

4T. EVCO
1T. Natural peanut butter
2T. EAS whey protein powder
1t. cinnamon
2pkt. Splenda

Melt---Mix---Spoon into 12 equal parts of the silicone mini muffins pan.
Refrigerate till firm...pop them out....discs of YUM!
Store in a ziploc in the frig. 3 to a serving.
What's EVCO pls? and is EAS some brand you are fond of?
A57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 02:49 PM   #24
A57
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: A57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyllah View Post
Although not exactly a fat bomb I've been making crustless quiche which is high fat/low protein for the times when I want to feel like I'm eating. The ratio is a quarter cup of cream for each egg along with an oz of cheese. You obviously could adjust the ratio of cheese if you wanted. I also get bacon ends and cut up the fatty bits. For 12 'muffins' I use 5 eggs, 1 and quarter cups of cream and 5 oz of cheese.
I put cooked mushrooms in my quiche, 3rashers bacon (cooked) cheddar cheese and 5eggs plus cream. I put them in 6deep pan silicon cup cake moulds and does 3days/meals
A57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 02:58 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by A57 View Post
What's EVCO pls? and is EAS some brand you are fond of?
EVCO would be extra virgin coconut oil. Any coconut oil would be fine, I'm sure. EAS is a brand, if you click on the link it will take you to that page on Netrition's site. I have never bought that brand. Any low carb whey protein powder would do. Personally, however, I don't add protein to fat bombs. The point is to get fat without extra protein.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 07:45 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Galveston Gal
Stats: 5'0"
WOE: Low Carb/High Fat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
EVCO would be extra virgin coconut oil. Any coconut oil would be fine, I'm sure. EAS is a brand, if you click on the link it will take you to that page on Netrition's site. I have never bought that brand. Any low carb whey protein powder would do. Personally, however, I don't add protein to fat bombs. The point is to get fat without extra protein.
Thanks, Mistizoom!
I sometimes need to make sure I am getting my protein...hence the PP addition...plus the added vanilla flavor gives a different touch.
Galveston Gal is offline   Reply With Quote