Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/)
-   -   What are your favorite high fat veggie recipes? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/795514-what-your-favorite-high-fat-veggie-recipes.html)

miker295 01-26-2013 10:41 PM

What are your favorite high fat veggie recipes?

Hi all,

I've been on again, off again with the ketogenic diet and think I have finally found the formula that works for me - eating plenty of high fat veggie dishes. I seem to over eat the protein unless I'm having a fair amount of veggies, but I can't stand the veggies without plenty of fat.

Most veggie recipes out there are of the "healthy low fat" variety so I've had trouble finding good choices. I usually saute up some bacon and/or drown the dish in butter afterwards, but I'm wondering what your favorite variations are?

Thanks!

Mike

han1cka 01-27-2013 02:50 AM

Hi Mike,
I love string beans cooked in lots of bacon. Broccoli with homemade mayo. Blue cheese dressing (homemade - Blue cheese + hwc) on romaine. Or avocado in any form. Avocados are a super food!

mizzcase 01-27-2013 05:08 AM

Cabbage fried in bacon grease! Broccoli drenched in Alfredo sauce! Any and every veggie covered in garlic & herb Kerrygold! Linda Sue's Mockafoni and Cheese is great too, it has about 10 grams of protein a serving, and 18g of fat. I sub in broccoli for cauliflower and top it with parmesan at the end before I broil it for a couple minutes. So good!

svenskamae 01-28-2013 11:04 AM

Creamed spinach! Brussel sprouts roasted with bacon or pancetta and bacon grease. Green beans roasted with olive oil and garlic gomesio (sesame seed seasoning). Ruby chard sauteed with bacon. Saag paneer made with heavy cream, spinach, and Indian spices.

KnotDreams 01-28-2013 05:14 PM

Don't forget mashed cauliflower. I made it this evening with a combination of sour cream, butter and olive oil. And then added a bit more butter at the table.
Nom nom.

reddarin 01-28-2013 05:18 PM

Stir fry some broccoli then stir up a oz of sour cream in the serving bowl. Very tasty.

Cabbage fried in bacon grease is delicious. I can't believe no one told me about that till about 9 years ago.

miker295 01-28-2013 08:19 PM

These are fantastic ideas! Thank you all. mizzcase thank you in particular for mentioning Alfredo sauce - I can't believe I've been low carb for a year and a half and never even thought about Alfredo sauce! I am not sure I can handle all the dairy but I sure am going to try!

svenskamae I actually made some rainbow chard tonight that was fantastic. Cooked up 4 strips of chopped bacon, then added 2 tbs butter with a little lemon juice and garlic, then added chard and covered for about 4 mins. I could live on that stuff!

I also have a family favorite - brussel sprouts with bacon and toasted pine nuts.

Keep them coming everyone!

MerryKate 01-28-2013 10:32 PM

Another good thing on brussels sprouts (and asparagus, and just about any other veggie) is hollandaise sauce. If you don't feel like making your own, trader joe's has it premade. :9 I also really like sauteed cabbage cooked in coconut oil. It's a good main dish with a bit of protein added to it, as well, and it's filling.

healed01 01-29-2013 07:41 PM

I just made a delicious faux-potatoes with cauliflower (whole head boiled) processed with 1/2 cup of HWC, 1/2 cup coconut milk and 4 T of butter. wowo....so satisfying.

Britt1975 01-30-2013 08:15 AM

I like turnip greens sauteed in bacon fat.

jem51 01-30-2013 09:03 AM

Steam some cauli, toss in some cream cheese, sprinkle w cheese and pop it under the broiler for a minute or in the over for a few.

Here is one of my fav main dishes; saute some garlic and red pepper flakes in a good amt of EVOO then add a bunch of green beans ( frozen in my house, canned will turn to mush), cover and allow to sizzle for a few min. When almost done slice in some brat/italian sausage or whatever you have in the house.
When it's back up to temp adjust seasoning and eat.

My fav soup; Simmer some cauli/broccoli in stock until almost done (a few min), add in the sausage as above (spicy for me). When it's back up to temp add a scoop of sour cream and stir in.....eat.

rubidoux 01-30-2013 10:11 AM

Most of my favorites involve bacon grease. One that hasn't been mentioned so far is yellow summer squash sauteed in bacon grease and I like a bunch of red onion in there, too.

I also love to make a soup of chicken bone broth, garlic, onion (sometimes leave out the onion and its fine) and tons of escarole.

Also, you can whip up a low carb peanut sauce pretty easily and that would be yummy over a lot of different cooked veggies or salad or a stir fry with meat. I like to make a salad with red leaf lettuce, cucumber, mint, basil, and cilantro with peanut sauce, and it's good with some chicken or pork on top.

reddarin 01-30-2013 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubidoux (Post 16229259)
Most of my favorites involve bacon grease. One that hasn't been mentioned so far is yellow summer squash sauteed in bacon grease and I like a bunch of red onion in there, too.

!!!

I can't believe I didn't think of doing that! Thanks :)

MarieD 01-30-2013 06:40 PM

Last night I made a skillet of steamed fresh kale and had a nice portion tossed with a Tbl of butter - it was so good. I eat a lot of frozen artichoke hearts (from Trader Joes), sautéed in butter or coconut oil and various seasonings, also I like fresh green beans sautéed in lard or ghee over high heat until wrinkly and lightly browned - really good. Those are my favorites.

flappa1016 02-05-2013 11:59 AM

My boss just told me about a braised brussels sprout recipe that she found on the NPR website. Can't link - do a search for npr braised brussels sprouts and look for the article entitled "Understanding the Brussels Sprout". I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds oh so delicious!

jillybean720 02-05-2013 02:09 PM

I like to steam some fresh broccoli and then, separately, fry some diced onion in butter, add some HWC and shredded cheddar, stir until creamy, then mix with the broccoli.

GailyGail 02-05-2013 02:15 PM

Food Network Chef Bobby Flay has a great recipe for cauliflower gratin on the Food Network website. We also like sauteed fresh green beans in olive oil, fresh garlic and fresh ginger. Check out Bobby Flay's cole slaw recipe which has lots of sour cream and mayo. You can also roast vegetables in olive oil and garlic. In your grocery store produce section, you may find a product called Broccoli Slaw, which is excellent. We use that for stir fries -- just sautee in vegetable oil with fresh garlic and lots of ginger and a dash of hot sauce.

Another idea is to take a tomato, scoop out the insides and fill with pesto, sprinkle with a little garlic and top with romano or parmesan cheese and then bake it for 20 minutes. I also roast cherry tomatoes in olive oil, fresh basil and garlic too -- they are delicious and very sweet tasting. Another good idea is to make a creamy herb dip (sour cream, cream cheese, mayo, fresh dill, scallions, fresh parsley, salt & pepper) and have that with raw veggies like radishes, celery, cucumber, fennel, tomatoes, asparagus, etc.

Oh and don't forget steamed asparagus with homemade hollandaise sauce!

Mimosa23 02-06-2013 12:52 AM

I love sauteed spinach in olive oil or butter. Add a touch of salt and garlic and a pat of butter on top when ready to eat... Velvety goodness!

Cauliflower cheese is always fabulous...

Broccoli with browned butter and roasted almonds...

Any kind of salad with a good vinaigrette...

Grilled green asparagus, when ready pour over extra virgin olive oil and sea salt...

clackley 02-06-2013 07:55 AM

My favorite lately is a combination of mashed cauli with mashed celery root and butter and cream. It is divine!!:yummy:

kayellr 02-06-2013 02:07 PM

I had lunch at an Afghani restaurant today, and with the kebabs ate some cabbage cooked with a ton of spices (so much turmeric it was orange), spinach that had green peppers and herbs (cilantro for sure, garlic...?), and stewed eggplant with tomatoes. The eggplant also had some yogurt and cilantro sauce, in addition to the usual cilantro based sauce with the kebabs. All with lots of curry type spices (wish I knew which) and lot of olive oil. I NEED to find some recipes for these.

LOTS of olive oil!

Mrs S 02-06-2013 02:18 PM

Cauliflower & Cheese (use cauliflower in place of pasta)
Kale 'chips' and ranch dressing/dip

I could eat both of these every day.

miker295 02-06-2013 10:58 PM

Can I just say how much this board rocks!?!? You all are awesome!

I have actually compiled all of these ideas into one list that I'll keep by my fridge. Here's a summary in case anyone else is interested. I've added a couple more of my own too. Keep them coming if you have more!
  • Universal topper: Alfraedo Sauce
  • Universal topper: Garlic & Herb Kerigold
  • Universal topper: low carb peanut sauce
  • Universal topper: Hollandaise sauce
  • Universal concept: greens in bacon grease
  • Universal dressing: 3 parts EVOO to 1 part vinegar or acid; add herbs of choice & mix
  • Avocado anything
  • Mockafoni and Cheese
  • Creamed spinach
  • Green beans with EVOO and garlic gromesco (sesame seeds)
  • Saag Paneer with spinach & HWC
  • Steamed cauli, dollop with cream cheese, top with cheese and broil
  • Saute garlic and red pepper flakes in lots of EVOO, add green beans and cook; toss with cooked sausage
  • Simmer broccoli or cauli in stock; add cooked sausage and other veggies; stir in scoop of sour cream
  • Summer squash sauteed in lard with red onion
  • Mashed Cauli with Sour Cream & Butter
  • Red leaf salad with cucumber, mint, cilantro, basil; add chicken or pork and peanut sauce
  • Steamed kale tossed with butter
  • Frozen artichoke hearts sauteed in butter or CO with spices of choice
  • Green beans sauteed in lard or ghee
  • Braised Brussels sprouts from NPR
  • Steam broccoli; separately saute diced onion in butter; add HWC and cheddar until melted; toss
  • Cauliflower Gratin from Food Network
  • Green beans with EVOO, garlic & ginger
  • Broccoli slaw sauteed in EVOO with fresh garlic, ginger and a dash of hot sauce
  • Scoop out inside of tomato, add pesto; sprinkle with garlic & parm. cheese; bake 20
  • Saute spinach in butter; add garlic and serve with more butter
  • Broccoli sauteed in butter; add slivered almonds
  • Kale chips
  • Eggplant stewed with tomatoes and spices; top with yogurt & cilantro sauce; other afghan veggie recipes
  • Saute chopped bacon, add chopped Brussels sprouts & cook, sprinkle with toasted pine nuts

Mimosa23 02-06-2013 11:44 PM

Mike,
Regarding the broccoli with browned butter:

I would steam the broccoli, which was cut into florets before steaming, then in another pan brown a good amount of butter, till it goes all nutty, but not burnt. At the end, throw in the almond slivers and pour this over the steamed broccoli. Add sea salt to taste... My MIL makes this to perfection, and she knows nothing about LC, LOL!

Yesterday evening I had eggplant which I cubed and I slow sauteed this with some Indian Spices (turmeric, cumin, coriander and mustard seeds; first sweat them in a little ghee), salt, pepper, garlic and a little tomato paste in lots of ghee... It goes all soft, gooey and sticky... Soooo good!

miker295 02-09-2013 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mimosa23 (Post 16244889)
Mike,
Regarding the broccoli with browned butter:

I would steam the broccoli, which was cut into florets before steaming, then in another pan brown a good amount of butter, till it goes all nutty, but not burnt. At the end, throw in the almond slivers and pour this over the steamed broccoli. Add sea salt to taste... My MIL makes this to perfection, and she knows nothing about LC, LOL!

Yesterday evening I had eggplant which I cubed and I slow sauteed this with some Indian Spices (turmeric, cumin, coriander and mustard seeds; first sweat them in a little ghee), salt, pepper, garlic and a little tomato paste in lots of ghee... It goes all soft, gooey and sticky... Soooo good!

These sound so yummy. I haven't had eggplant in quite some time - I need to try that again! Thanks!

Kenny's Wife 02-09-2013 10:21 AM

My son makes a delicious broccoli in bacon! It is heaven. Fry up the bacon, then remove the bacon and put the fresh broccoli cut up in the bacon grease and saute...then add the bacon back in at the end! One of the main reasons I started the program with him!!
Love all the wonderful recipes and ideas.
I do have one question though....what is HWC??? Since I am rather new, I am clueless. Thanks!

reddarin 02-09-2013 10:35 AM

HWC - Heavy Whipping Cream :)

Kenny's Wife 02-10-2013 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reddarin (Post 16249803)
HWC - Heavy Whipping Cream :)

Oh thank you! I just love HWC!!!
:doh:

JayLynn 02-11-2013 12:45 PM

Mike, thanks for putting all these great veggie ideas in one place...I copied and printed it for my fridge. I need to eat lots more HFLC veggies.

Britt1975 02-14-2013 07:04 AM

I like summer squash mash - slice a yellow squash or zucchini and boil until tender. Drain and return to heat. Add HWC and butter (amounts depend on amount of squash cooked, but I use enough to make it slightly soupy) then stir vigorously to 'mash' up the squash. Turn heat up to high - stirring constantly to reduce liquid. Salt and pepper to taste - it's a wonderful, creamy comfort food.

reddarin 02-14-2013 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Britt1975 (Post 16258794)
I like summer squash mash - slice a yellow squash or zucchini and boil until tender. Drain and return to heat. Add HWC and butter (amounts depend on amount of squash cooked, but I use enough to make it slightly soupy) then stir vigorously to 'mash' up the squash. Turn heat up to high - stirring constantly to reduce liquid. Salt and pepper to taste - it's a wonderful, creamy comfort food.

Wow! That sounds really good. I have some squash I need to use up too.