Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/)
-   -   A specific food causing problems? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/795452-specific-food-causing-problems.html)

Punkin 01-26-2013 10:18 AM

A specific food causing problems?

Does anyone find that a specific food might cause a problem. I don't know if I am going nuts or if it is possible that a specific food can cause a problem with insulin. Here is why I am asking.

A couple of days ago I made a spinach dip which is a recipe I have used before and the only difference was that I added 1/4 cup of cooked egg whites to bump up the protein level. An hour later I had symptoms of hypoglycemia. Today I tried the exact same recipe except with a serving of tofu instead of the egg whites. No reaction and I feel great. Is it possible that the egg whites are knocking me out of ketosis? Is this possible?

Has anyone every experienced a reaction to a specific food? If so, what does it mean? What do you do about it, just avoid that food or does it mean I can introduce it later once I have properly keto-adapted? It is all just an experiment to see what works and what doesn't? I feel like I am going nuts.

unna 01-27-2013 02:43 AM

What were your symptoms?

Maybe your body expected the nutrients from an entire egg, and you only gave it the egg whites? This is similar to the fake sugar theory - your body prepares for a dose of something sweet based on the tongue's taste buds, only to be disappointed when nothing comes (thus making the person hungry anyway!).

Okay - so maybe that is a silly explanation.

There is another explanation that the food is simply too good - The Food Reward Hypothesis. If what you are eating is too good, it turns on your hedonistic side and makes you want more and more. I have this reaction to nut butters and hummus. According to the Food Reward Hypothesis, one can lose weight if he/she is careful about avoiding foods that taste TOO good, for one is less likely to overeat. Many people claim this is actually why diets such as paleo work. The food is good, but its not TOO GOOD.

I don't know if either of these ideas speak to your hypoglycemia.

You could also be having the problem of
-not eating enough calories in general,
-missing an important nutrient,
-or it could be related to your TOM....

I do eat nut butters (never peanut butter - allergy) and hummus if I am always with other people. For example, I'm eating them at my parent's house in America right now everyday. But, I don't keep them around if I'm alone at my apartment in Germany (my Husband often travels for work), because it brings out an odd, secret slightly-binging behavior from me, which includes a tad bit of guilt. I think this is because of all my past eating behaviors that were not healthy. It is not a huge issue, I'm just old enough and rational enough to say that I don't need to have it.

Punkin 01-27-2013 05:01 AM

What is TOM?

hummus is high in carbs, I don't know if you read the atkins diet book or not, but it is much higher up on the hierarchy of ladder rungs. People who are sensitive to carbs, can't always eat chick peas. Nut butters are lower on the scale, I used to have a problem with them as they triggered the "too good" feeling but that was when my diet was too low in fat. They have some carbs in them, so I still enjoy them now that I am on LC but I won't feel the urge to binge on them. So you might be onto something there. I will eat 1/4 cup of chick peas on occasion which I make into homemade hummus but I eat them with a ton of fat (cream) and a lot of fibre. Otherwise I run into problems. I used to eat an entire package of hummus in one sitting. Again, I would tell myself, but hummus is healthy right? So its ok. Not for people who are really carb sensitive. 8)

NKSL55 01-27-2013 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Punkin (Post 16221995)
What is TOM?

"Time Of the Month"
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punkin (Post 16221995)
hummus is high in carbs, I don't know if you read the atkins diet book or not, but it is much higher up on the hierarchy of ladder rungs. People who are sensitive to carbs, can't always eat chick peas. Nut butters are lower on the scale, I used to have a problem with them as they triggered the "too good" feeling but that was when my diet was too low in fat. They have some carbs in them, so I still enjoy them now that I am on LC but I won't feel the urge to binge on them. So you might be onto something there. I will eat 1/4 cup of chick peas on occasion which I make into homemade hummus but I eat them with a ton of fat (cream) and a lot of fibre. Otherwise I run into problems. I used to eat an entire package of hummus in one sitting. Again, I would tell myself, but hummus is healthy right? So its ok. Not for people who are really carb sensitive. 8)

Yes, one of my favorite meals was a sort of hummus. Just a can of chick peas with lots of mayo mixed in with a fork that I used to crush the beans. I miss mayo -- high fat, but gives me a belly ache now. Possibly due to its high omega-6 fatty acid content from the soy beans.

Lots of possible explanations. But there is no way to know for sure. Egg whites and tofu are very different. Also it could be some other food you ate earlier in the day that predisposed you to hypoglycemia, rather than any particular component of a meal you ate just before it happened. Or something completely unrelated to food (amount of exercise that day or the day before?)

If you are really into tracking down this sort of thing, you might enjoy Dave Asprey's "Bulletproof Executive" web page. He is into just that sort of "biohacking".

--
Phillip

reddarin 01-27-2013 11:25 AM

According to wikipedia the whites only have a little over 50% of the protein so you could try it with the yolks (where all the good stuff is anyway) instead.

I know I have seen posts before from people that said that this or that food produced a response while others are perfectly fine with it. Diet soda for example.

Punkin 01-27-2013 03:08 PM

Its possible that egg whites were never meant to be eaten "separate" from the yolk. There maybe something in the yolk that aids in digestion, it could just be the fat, although there was fat in the dip. I'm always leary of processed foods since I seem to be sensitive to them anyways.

reddarin 01-27-2013 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Punkin (Post 16223045)
Its possible that egg whites were never meant to be eaten "separate" from the yolk. There maybe something in the yolk that aids in digestion, it could just be the fat, although there was fat in the dip. I'm always leary of processed foods since I seem to be sensitive to them anyways.

I mean yolks without the whites :)