Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2013, 05:18 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
Questions about using a blood glucose/ketone meter

I just bought the precision xtra system and the meter came free if you bought the test strips. The problem is that they only have the bg test strips. I am assuming you have to buy the ketone strips separately. Is this true?

Also I want to try using the glucose strips but the meter came with no instructions as to how to interprete the results. Can someone please help. I don't really know what I should be looking for. Basically I want to avoid feeling hungry right after meals. I believe I get these feelings of extreme hungry after eating because my blood glucose levels are lower than they should be because my body "overshoots" the amount of insulin needed after a rise in bg caused by eating a meal. I think finding the right macronutrient balance for each meal with respect to how much fat/protein/carbs I should be eating is going to be the key to this problem for me.

How would I use the blood glucose meter for that, is there some type of scale for what is normal levels of glucose in the blood?

Also what is everyone using the blood glucose strips for when it NK, how is the meter useful in general for NK?
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2013, 02:48 PM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I don't think blood glucose monitors are very useful for people with normal insulin metabolism. if you want lower insulin levels, eat less carbs. but of course you nk people know that protein can also be converted to glucose, to a greater or lesser extent. this is popular now, and while it's a life saver for some, no doubt many are restricting themselves in a way that they don't need or benefit from. the only way to figure it out is try it though.

anyway, people with normal insulin metobolism often have blood glucose levels as low as 65 regularly. that's not normally a problem. diabetics are warned not to go below 80 for the same reason they are told to eat like 40 or 60 grams of carb per meal--if a person is not good at self dosing their diabetic medications they can easily get dangerously low blood sugars.

if your blood sugar gets low enough, your body normally finds ways to bring it back up. less insulin, releasing glycogen, gluconeogenesis, etc. Diabetics taking oral meds (other than Metformin) or insulin usually don't have the ability to react enough to excess insulin like you do if you are not diabetic.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:08 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
Punkin, I have the Precision and have found the ketone monitor very useful for tracking NK. I think it's more precise than the other meter, since it gives number readings rather than "LO" if you're below 0.5. I test once a week unless I eat something I think might trip me up, in which case I'll check the next morning. It's a good way to find out if a particular food is causing you problems.

I've also tested my blood sugar, mostly out of curiosity, and so far my tests have all been in the normal range. A fasting blood sugar level of 70-100 is normal for a non-diabetic. I haven't done post-meal tests, tho. Jimmy Moore's blog has a lot of information about that, since he is a diabetic.

If you want to get a clearer picture of what's happening with your blood sugar, try testing before a meal, and then again about 30 minutes after you've finished eating. Unless you're eating a significant amount of carbs, you shouldn't have a high number. If you get one, I'd take a look at what you're eating. Different bodies handle food in different ways, so you might get a spike from something that doesn't cause other people problems. For example, fruit is off the table for me until I'm done losing weight - I always get a strong blood sugar response and will fall out of ketosis if I eat it on a regular basis.
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:35 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SabreCat50
I also have the Precision Xtra meter. My wife and I are testing once a week for both BG and ketones.

But I am interested in testing the blood glucose to see if the sugar alcohols have any noticeable effect. If the sugar alcohols do not do much, then we might be able to include some sugar free foods that would help us in continuing the very low carb regime.

Glenn in Omaha
SabreCat50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:38 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Glenn, that's a good idea - testing to see if the sugar alcohols affect you. My vote is for erythritol - it's known to have no impact on bs for most people, and it doesn't have the icky side effects of so many sugar alcohols.

I tried testing my blood sugar an hour after lunch today, because I had a restaurant meal, and was surprised to see it was at 90. I'm guessing that means the bechamel sauce I had didn't have a significant impact on my blood sugar levels.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:45 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Punkin:

Hope this isn't too much information, but I found these charts on blood sugar just now that might give you a good reference:

Screen shot 2013-01-25 at 5.42.48 PM.jpg