Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 12:23 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: unna
Stats: 230/155-160/tone
WOE: Primal LCHF
Start Date: January 2012
Eating Enough

I want to make sure I share my significant experiences and experiments on this type of diet. They might not all be pretty! But I've definitely learned a lot.

In January 2012, I started the primal diet. I initially lost. I noticed about halfway through the year that my hunger was coming back a bit and my weight loss had completely plateaued. I decided to try IF. This helped me break my plateau, but only by 5 pounds.

Then came the cold sores. One after the other. Obviously IF was doing a number on my immune system. Although I must say, I felt great doing it..... but I could never IF when I was working from home. Too many temptations. So, after the upteenth cold sore, I decided I needed to stop. I also love working from home, so it didn't quite fit into my lifestyle.

I decided I was going to follow the guidelines of NK. I also decided I was going to eat when I was hungry. This completely freaked me. I've never "just eaten when I'm hungry".

I didn't get on the scale for a month. The next month I got on the scale, and I was up 4 lbs. But, I felt strong, I wasn't having immune issues, and I had tons of energy. So, I decided to go with the flow. Some of my pants did start getting tight- I'm pretty sure I gain even more - but I just kept trusting the science behind NK.

In the past few weeks, my weight has been steadily decreasing. I just lost another pound. I'm now down to my IF weight - where I had to fight my hunger constantly!

However, if I would have looked at the scale everyday as I was transitioning out of IF to NK, I would have seen the weight gain and chickened out.

It sounds silly, but if you know the science, and feel you are making an educated decision about your diet, you really have to sit back and TRUST the process.

Focus on an exercise goal instead.

I'm so much more satiated now. My weight initially went up, but now its back down again. It regulated itself. Personally, I'm much happier eating than IFing.

This is not a diss against IF - it really does work. I just seemed to have a "cold sore" issue that was worrisome.

Sometimes, I think a lot of us need to eat to lose fat. This especially applies to those of us with years of odd eating disorders under our belt (probably the majority here).
unna is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2013, 12:45 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bjjcaveman
Stats: 180.0/180.4/165.0
WOE: nutritional ketosis
Thank you for posting your success story. It's so great to see how effective NK can actually be!
bjjcaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:51 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
I tried IF too, but don't do it anymore. I learned a couple of things from doing it: the difference between "false hunger" and "genuine hunger." It also taught me that I don't NEED to eat. I don't really know if it has advantages for weight loss, more so psychological. I think it is good to learn how to fast for people who have weight issues, because we live in a society where food is always around whenever we want it. That is different than it was for our ancestors who ate when food was plentiful, because it may not be there tomorrow, and that fast might last for days at a time.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:20 AM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
I did JUDDD for a while. I enjoyed it, but it was more the control over my eating I enjoyed. So not really a healthy aspect for me, as I have enough mental food issues. I did learn that I don't necessarily need three or more meals a day.
Now, I fast naturally, as I don't eat until I'm hungry, which means I usually don't eat from 8pm till lunchtime 1pm ish the next day. I do drink one BPC in the morning. For the rest, water and green tea.
I never was a breakfast person really, because of my day it's a hassle to fit it in! I'd have to get up at 5am... (I like my 7 hous sleep, so no go!)
I feel good eating twice a day. I don't eat snacks as it leads to mindless grazing when I'm not hungry.

I usually eat two good sized meals a day, one around 1pm and one around 8pm. My body seems to get hungry around those times. Sometimes it's earlier, sometimes it's later.

I like knowing that I can be flexible and that I don't need to panic if I don't manage to eat. Before, I was always worried about food options, food opportunities, etc. Now, I am relaxed and usually can skip a meal if the situation is inconvenient eating wise.

I have a big meeting for work in the UK coming up, and I know lunch is always bought in for two days. This means no lunch for me. Only sandwiches with suspicious fillings and fruit or baked goods. I know in advance that when I have a good breakfast that I can last all day perfectly fine.

female, 38y/o, 5'10"

my blog:
http://crazybeautyhealth.blogspot.de/

Last edited by Mimosa23; 01-18-2013 at 05:21 AM..
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:42 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Great post Unna!

I bet that initial weight gain was LBM and your body adjusting to the new woe.

reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:02 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Mimosa, I still sort of naturally fast like you - I'm also not a breakfast eater. But I eat the moment I start feeling hungry in the morning.... which is usually 4 or 5 hours after I wake up.

The only thing I changed is not trying to deny my hunger all day. I don't use heavy calorie restriction anymore to lose weight. And, my results have shown, that I don't need to do it to be at a lower weight. This was sort of an epiphany for me.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:35 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Yvonnem2000
Stats: 148.6/151/135
WOE: Atkins Induction + veggies
Start Date: April 2012
thanks for this! I quit JUDDD two weeks ago, and the transition has been tough. I'll keep going.
Yvonnem2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:36 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Yvonnem2000: Why did you quit JUDDD?

Again, I'm still torn. It sounds silly - but, I love the energy from fasting. I totally understand why people do it. But, for me, it just didn't work out. Other people talk about having done the Warrior diet for years and never having an issue. I wish I wouldn't have had the immune issue. Also, I found I was only successful with IF when I wasn't working from my home office.

If you follow the NK guidelines to the best of your ability, you will probably gain something initially, which I think is simply due to the fact that you are consuming more calories. But, I still never gained anything extreme.

The only reason the transition worked for me, as I typically freak out about weight gain, is because I told myself I was going to trust the process this once. So, I trusted, and I stayed away from the scale for awhile. I focused instead on how I was feeling (energetic/happy) and I focused more on exercise goals.

The last time my Mother saw me was in October, around the time when I was making the transition to NK.

Yesterday, I just returned to America to visit my family, and my Mom keeps telling me she can't believe how much weight I've lost since the last time I saw her.

Technically, the scale is quite similar to what it was in October, but I seem to be changing my body composition with eating more fat and weight training a few days a week. I guess I just really like it because I get to eat all the foods I love and I can still lose fat with it.

But if I would've checked the scale during the first few months of NK, I'm sure I would've chickened out.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:10 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
Great thread!
I weigh myself everyday. It's a habit.
But I keep reading on LCF that it may not be the best idea.
IDK>>>>
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:45 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Yvonnem2000
Stats: 148.6/151/135
WOE: Atkins Induction + veggies
Start Date: April 2012
I quit JUDDD because I didn't lose weight and my hypoglycemia (which had totally vanished on low-carb) started to come back. My second week in JUDDD was great. It felt easy, and the scale went down every day. I saw a low number I hadn't seen in ages. But after that, I lost the magic. I must have started really overeating on up dAys, and I gained weight. It has been 3 weeks now, and I'm feeling much better, like I'm getting my energy back. I really wanted to like it, and I would still recommend others try it, but for me it wasn't the answer.
Yvonnem2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:11 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Yvonnem2000: That is SO similar to my experience with IFing. It was great at first - kept seeing super low numbers....

But then my body adapted, I started getting hungrier, I started getting cold sores, and I noticed my mood wasn't so stable - I had a constant psychic struggle with food. However, I had a lot of energy while doing it. I would also recommend it to others as a weight loss tool, because I know many people lose weight that way. I wasn't following JUDDD, but I was following Brad Pilon's plan - I still love that guy.

I actually just did a 24 hour fast the other day - when I was flying from Germany to America. I did this because very long plane rides tend to leave one with painful gas (I guess the sitting and altitude levels) and the plane food is always ONLY carbs and sugar.

This felt great, and I did go down another 2lbs., which I've maintained since then (wonder if it really is fat? Maybe I really am a keto-adapted fat-burning machine!). So, maybe I will revisit Brad Pilon's plan once in awhile. But, for me, it simply can't be a weekly thing.