Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2013, 07:50 AM   #31
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Susanpmi
Stats: 136/130/125 5'4"
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: July 2005
YvonneM2000, thank you for sharing your success. Can you post the menu you followed on your fat fast?
Susanpmi is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2013, 10:20 AM   #32
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonnem2000 View Post
I did my one-day fat fast yesterday. I picked a very busy day, and it wasn't that hard. Almost a relief not to think much about food. I got very foggy and tired at 3 pm, but by 4 I felt good again. I actually had moments of really good mood throughout the day.

Just one problem- I couldn't sleep well last night. And I woke up too early with pounding headache. I had this problem with JUDDD, too.

I was hoping to do this fast once a week. Anyone have advice? I'm open to experimenting.

Thanks,
Yvonne

PS I did lose 2 lb in one day. And I reeked of ketones! Maybe it is worth a little lost sleep.
Electrolytes. Cheryl on our thread pointed it out to me when I mentioned waking up with a headache. It makes a lot of sense. You shed a lot of moisture overnight so first thing in the morning your balance is all out of whack. Cheryl's cure was a swig of pickle juice.

I think that it can play a role in sleeping well at night too. For the last week or so I've been making it a point to get in two bouillon cubes a day and I swear have been sleeping like a rock. In fact, the second night's sleep is what made me think that my new little addition was responsible. It was the only thing I'd changed.

The delicious way I've been doing it...

Chop up some cabbage (or cauliflower) and throw it into a sauce pot.
Crumble up a couple of chicken bouillon cubes.
Add some seasoning (fresh ground black pepper, dash of salt, red pepper flakes).
Add 6 or 8 ounces of fresh water.
Boil till done to your preference.

Drain the liquid into a coffee cup, let the fiery hot scald the inside of your mouth taste bud zapping stuff (experience speaking) cool a little, and enjoy a remarkably tasty drink.

Probably earlier in the day is better for managing transient water retention.
reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:45 AM   #33
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cherbear49908
Stats: 244.4/236.6/150
WOE: Atkins 20c/day (+ coffee)
Start Date: 6-1-11@264.4 restart 9-25-12
Wow is this the very thing I am looking for today. My husband and I (in our fifties) have been doing Atkins for the last 5 weeks. (Not the first time, so we are very knowledgeable about Atkins dieting) His Blood Pressure is out of control, and although he has lost 20 pounds (I have lost 15) his doctor told him yesterday that he needed to put his Atkins Diet to zero carbs because he is not losing weight fast enough. He is 5'10" and 224 lbs. No salt obviously, but no carbs at all? This doesn't sound like my Dr. Atkins...is there maybe another diet that does zero carbs? (at least maybe I could find out how that diet works) I don't even know what to fix for meals now, without vegetables or cheese. We've done a fat fast 2 weeks ago...7 days long. I just need to know what do others eat when a doctor gives this order?
cherbear49908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:50 AM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalagurl View Post
I googled it! That is crazy, but it makes sense.

"Dr. John Salerno worked with Dr. Atkins in his New York clinic. In an interview on the “Livin’ La Vida Low-Carb Show” podcast, he said that over the years, new patients to the Atkins practice became less likely to lose weight on the 20 g Induction Phase, because of increasing amounts of carbohydrates in the American diet. Based on this observation, he designed the Silver Cloud Diet. All dieters start out by following his Full Fat Fast for up to one month. The Full Fat Fast includes eggs, meat, fish, cheese and nuts. Fats must be natural, like butter, and not hydrogenated like Crisco shortening or extensively processed like canola oil."
I've read Salerno's book. He argues that the quality of food people eat has declined since Dr. Atkins death and that people need to do a more severe fat-fast style induction at the start to be successful, often. As I recall, the average recommended time on fat-fast style induction is 2 weeks. Then the emphasis is on a paleo-style lowcarb diet with an emphasis on the quality of low carb foods (e.g., grass fed beef, organic veggies). The book has some good recipes and is a quick read, and is fairly close to how I eat (after the induction phase). He also notes other barriers to weightloss, such as yeast/candida overgrowth, mold allergies, food intolerances, and hormonal imbalances and suggests some tweaks to deal with those (such as avoiding vinegar and mushrooms, or bioidentical hormones).
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:51 AM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherbear49908 View Post
Wow is this the very thing I am looking for today. My husband and I (in our fifties) have been doing Atkins for the last 5 weeks. (Not the first time, so we are very knowledgeable about Atkins dieting) His Blood Pressure is out of control, and although he has lost 20 pounds (I have lost 15) his doctor told him yesterday that he needed to put his Atkins Diet to zero carbs because he is not losing weight fast enough. He is 5'10" and 224 lbs. No salt obviously, but no carbs at all? This doesn't sound like my Dr. Atkins...is there maybe another diet that does zero carbs? (at least maybe I could find out how that diet works) I don't even know what to fix for meals now, without vegetables or cheese. We've done a fat fast 2 weeks ago...7 days long. I just need to know what do others eat when a doctor gives this order?
See my post below and order "The Silver Cloud Diet" for starters.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:01 AM   #36
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherbear49908 View Post
Be sure to directly ask your doctor about sodium for your husband. Point out that very low carb is diuretic and you are concerned about his sodium levels dropping too low. There are a lot of problems with very low sodium. Find out what the doc says is the right level for your husband's situation with LC. Be sure to ask about potassium and magnesium supplements too and ask about any others that the doctor might recommend. It is important to get his input because some supplements are dangerous with some Rx meds - like potassium and BP meds.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:04 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Myles
sadly doctors tend to be black and white, and low sodium mindset is difficult to change. Not all doctors mind you.
Myles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:32 PM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Yvonnem2000
Stats: 148.6/151/135
WOE: Atkins Induction + veggies
Start Date: April 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanpmi View Post
YvonneM2000, thank you for sharing your success. Can you post the menu you followed on your fat fast?
Thanks for the advice, Red. I'll try that.

My menu was not as precise as usual but I'll do my best.

Basically, a few days ago I had made a fat shake with 1 cup HWC, 1/3 cup coconut milk, 1/2 cup almond milk and an egg (or two)? No sweetener-I've given those up for now. I divided that into 4 servings and ate 2 of them as a feeding. Another feeding was 1/4 cup HWC and 1 oz mascarpone, whipped with cinnamon. Another feeding was 1/4 cup HWC and 6 olives. Also 2 cups broth with 2 tsp CO.

I feel a little silly laying it out. Who eats a cup of cream in a day? But I feel good on it. If I did it again, I'd track more precisely but I was trying to use up that leftover shake.

I think I will do it again, because I wasn't extra hungry the next day or anything. Felt more like I got full faster. My weight has gone back up, but I expected that. Next time I'll try saving one feeding for bedtime and see if that helps with sleep.

Yvonne
Yvonnem2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:25 PM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonnem2000 View Post
I feel a little silly laying it out. Who eats a cup of cream in a day?
Us
Old 03-05-2013, 11:45 AM   #40
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Isabella
Stats: 169/161/120
WOE: Paleo
Start Date: March 2013
I'm just on day one of an egg/meat fast....any advice.? Or can someone direct me to the right thread if I'm in the wrong place. So far 4scrambled for breakfast and 4 scrambled for lunch. 30 minutes of walking and already down 1.5 lbs as of right now.
Isabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:48 AM   #41
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Isabella
Stats: 169/161/120
WOE: Paleo
Start Date: March 2013
Oh and I'm in moderate to large ketosis according to strips....anyone else do this before? How long? How much weight lost? Any side effects I should expect?
Isabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:53 AM   #42
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella View Post
I'm just on day one of an egg/meat fast....any advice.? Or can someone direct me to the right thread if I'm in the wrong place. So far 4scrambled for breakfast and 4 scrambled for lunch. 30 minutes of walking and already down 1.5 lbs as of right now.
Here ya go

Meat and egg fast anyone?
Old 03-06-2013, 06:07 AM   #43
Senior LCF Member

I read the first little bit of the fat fast cookbook - but im posting this again in hopes that someone will respond to it.

The author states that this fat fast is around 1000 calories per day....but WE'RE ALL DIFFERENT - who is the 1000 for? Her? What about me. Surely 1000 per day cant be right for "everyone" since we're all so different - so what gives?
Old 03-06-2013, 06:19 AM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarbella
Stats: 241(pregnancy highest)/179/150(or 20-25%BF)
WOE: LCHF/NK/MFF
Start Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolash View Post
I read the first little bit of the fat fast cookbook - but im posting this again in hopes that someone will respond to it.

The author states that this fat fast is around 1000 calories per day....but WE'RE ALL DIFFERENT - who is the 1000 for? Her? What about me. Surely 1000 per day cant be right for "everyone" since we're all so different - so what gives?
Hi Myles,

The Atkins fat fast as described in the Atkins book(2002),says to eat 1000 calories.Dr Atkins actually recommended this for very metabolically resistant people.He has a chart that shows who falls in this category elsewhere in the book.
The 1000 calorie reqt is so that there is a calorie deficit to induce ketosis.aka body forced to use bodyfat.then you move onto Modified fat fast 1200 cals.
If you follow the rules of fat fast but don't count calories ,IMO that what I would call NK.that is low carb,moderate protein and high fat.
Again I repeat,if you can lose fairly easily on higher carbs or plain old induction,don't bother with a fat fast.It is restrictive.
but for those whom nothing will work ,and is stuck at a higher weight,this can be a silver lining of hope.
for me I love Fat fast.But I use it wisely.
180:reached
175:
mega goal : 170 : Combined weights of 3 pregnancies will be gone forever
mega goal : 150 :
mega goal : tone allover,close and repair my diastasis and hernia(down to 2" from 10")
Push yourself. Because no one else is going to do it for you.
lowcarbella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:07 PM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcarbella View Post
Hi Myles,

The Atkins fat fast as described in the Atkins book(2002),says to eat 1000 calories.Dr Atkins actually recommended this for very metabolically resistant people.He has a chart that shows who falls in this category elsewhere in the book.
The 1000 calorie reqt is so that there is a calorie deficit to induce ketosis.aka body forced to use bodyfat.then you move onto Modified fat fast 1200 cals.
If you follow the rules of fat fast but don't count calories ,IMO that what I would call NK.that is low carb,moderate protein and high fat.
Again I repeat,if you can lose fairly easily on higher carbs or plain old induction,don't bother with a fat fast.It is restrictive.
but for those whom nothing will work ,and is stuck at a higher weight,this can be a silver lining of hope.
Thank you, that makes sense, i think i may try this when i get home
Old 03-17-2013, 02:06 PM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lisamt
Stats: 200/187/130
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: December 2012
I did a 1 day fat fast earlier this week and it went okay, but I think I would do better splitting my calories into 2 meals and a snack. Trying to figure out what to eat 5x a day made me anxious.

I'm going to try another fat fast tomorrow and maybe expand it to 3 days if all goes well.
lisamt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:14 AM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarbella
Stats: 241(pregnancy highest)/179/150(or 20-25%BF)
WOE: LCHF/NK/MFF
Start Date: Feb 2012
here is a menu I often use :

-2eggs w butter
-2 oz cream cheese
-2 oz sour cream
-2oz cheddar cheese
-2 oz sour cream

Try to avoid sweeteners if you can,try to cut caffeine
Better no caffeine,no sweeteners,plenty of water and rest.

The more complicated dessert recipes for Fat fast that floats on internet never worked for me anyway
lowcarbella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:04 AM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Green
Stats: no scale unless doing PHD
WOE: HDE, Potatoes as needed
Start Date: May 2014
Alright. new to this site.
I'm going to start a week of FF today.

So far:
B: Coffee w/ 1.5TB of MCT oil and .5TB of grass-fed butter
L: 4 slices of fatty bacon

I plan on...

S: 1/2 avocado and 1oz of smoked salmon salad (mayo, salmon, chives)
D: Keto mug cake if I'm feeling naughty (1tb butter, 1tb HWC, 2tb cocoa powder, 1 egg, 1 tsp erythritol, 1 tsp baking powder)

Any thoughts on artificial sweeteners impact on insulin response? I wonder if it pulls me out of ketosis.
Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:37 AM   #49
Senior LCF Member

i decided to do this today, then realized im supposed to go to moms for dinner and she is making sausage and peppers. Hopefully i can move dinner with her to tmrw night LOL, otherwise i'll just switch FF start to another day.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:21 AM   #50
Senior LCF Member

i am a really big guy who according to the BMR charts requires 3500 calories to maintain.. so having my 200 calorie 'breakfast' an hour ago.. i am starving right now.. not going to eat except water and will have something again in 3 hours or so.. but damn ;/
Old 03-21-2013, 08:14 AM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dasschus
Stats: 250/195/145
WOE: HFLC/nutritional ketosis
Start Date: February 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles View Post
i am a really big guy who according to the BMR charts requires 3500 calories to maintain.. so having my 200 calorie 'breakfast' an hour ago.. i am starving right now.. not going to eat except water and will have something again in 3 hours or so.. but damn ;/
Myles,
The first day I was hungry. But day two was better. And when those ketones kick in the hunger subsides.

Just try to have 4-5 small feelings (they're not meals) every day so you're getting a little something throughout the day.

Your body will go into ketosis. But I would do this for 5-7 days before going to modified. That's just me.

The macaroni salad in the fat fast cookbook is very satisfying and sooooo good! Also the cole slaw. Or can have an egg and 1 oz of bulk sausage. If you go to the fat fat recipes web site, they have a few more recipes that aren't included in the cookbook. Just look for the recipes tab along the top.

Wishing you great success with it.
dasschus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:38 AM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasschus View Post
Myles,
The first day I was hungry. But day two was better. And when those ketones kick in the hunger subsides.

Just try to have 4-5 small feelings (they're not meals) every day so you're getting a little something throughout the day.

Your body will go into ketosis. But I would do this for 5-7 days before going to modified. That's just me.

The macaroni salad in the fat fast cookbook is very satisfying and sooooo good! Also the cole slaw. Or can have an egg and 1 oz of bulk sausage. If you go to the fat fat recipes web site, they have a few more recipes that aren't included in the cookbook. Just look for the recipes tab along the top.

Wishing you great success with it.
I have the book and im looking for ideas, so far today 6 am i had coffee with 1.5 tbps CO, and now 3.5 hours later 2 slices of cooked (not crisp) bacon, yes still hungry, but thats ok. Moms for dinner tonight may reset me (lc meal but not FF) and i may have to start again tmrw tho.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:09 PM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Does anyone know if there is a valid, scientific reason why calories on a fat fast need to be split up into 5 feedings? I'd rather have 3 small meals (2 at 350 cal and 1 at 300) but don't know if that would defeat the purpose of a fat fast.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:24 AM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
Start Date: March 20, 2012
Lisa, I think its just to ward off hunger throughout the day.. When I do the fat fast, I'll do 200 calories at breakfast, 600 at lunch, and 200 at dinner and it works just fine for me.
mizzcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:09 AM   #55
Blabbermouth!!!

I don't recall any scientific reason given for the 5 times a day thing. When I did it that way I think it helped me get through the day eating every 2 hours.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:16 AM   #56
Blabbermouth!!!

oops

Last edited by reddarin; 03-22-2013 at 08:19 AM.. Reason: posted to wrong thread heh
Old 03-22-2013, 08:17 AM   #57
Blabbermouth!!!

oops #2

Last edited by reddarin; 03-22-2013 at 08:18 AM.. Reason: wrong thread
Old 03-22-2013, 08:55 AM   #58
Senior LCF Member

Yesterday i did the first 3 or 4 fat fast meals, then at night it was moms for dinner, which was a normal meal. Im down weight today, probably water weight, so trying FF again today... maybe a bit modified..details later.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:23 AM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzcase View Post
Lisa, I think its just to ward off hunger throughout the day.. When I do the fat fast, I'll do 200 calories at breakfast, 600 at lunch, and 200 at dinner and it works just fine for me.
Good to know. I've found that if I eat a high fat, filling breakfast I'm not hungry again for 7 or 8 hours.

My problem with eating 5 times a day is that I'm thinking about food way more often. One of the things I love about keto is that it frees me up from constantly thinking about what I'm going to eat next.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:57 AM   #60
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Green
Stats: no scale unless doing PHD
WOE: HDE, Potatoes as needed
Start Date: May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcarbella View Post
Anyone have insight to whether or not a person fairly recently off of a 500 cal/day HCG diet (did it for a 3 weeks in December, then switched to paleo) is considered metabolically resistant?

I worry that my body is in starvation mode and going to 1000cal/day on FF (I'm probably at 1500 hf/lc) would signal my body to store the fat.

I do believe I'm in ketosis (urine strips) but never over 15mg (light pink) unless I've chugged some MCT oil. I've been eating Keto for about 2 weeks as of now with a banh-mi slip-up this past weekend (puked hours after). Guess I'm just unsure if I should stick with plain 'ole NK for a while or go ahead with a FF.

I hope this post is appropriate for this thread. New to the site (so so thankful for y'all!) and definitely don't want to "hijack" or anything.
Green is offline   Reply With Quote