Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 05:11 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Stats: 308/305.2/200
WOE: Low Carbing (45-60 grams)
Start Date: Jan. 14, 2013
Having some difficulties. Help!!

Hi~

I am 17 going on 18 year old college student who's trying to lose weight. I'm low carbing, because that's the only thing that seems to work for my PCOS. Anyway, i'm finding it kind of hard to balance eating every three hours when my classes are 10 minutes apart. I wake up and have breakfast (mostly turkey bacon, ham, and cheese eggs with a bit of liquid egg whites), but when it's time for lunch and snack, I don't seem to have much time to eat anything. And then when I get back home, I'm starving. My question is, will it be okay to just chow down almonds until I get back home to eat lunch. Oh, and is 45-60 carbs okay to lose weight successfully?
Fitchickintraining is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2013, 08:07 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Hi Fitchick.....you might have better luck posting this question on one of the other low carb threads that is more "generic" than this one...this is the "Nutritional Ketosis: NK/High Fat- Low Carb thread. Maybe the Atkins thread????

Good luck with the schooling and weightloss. I think you will have great success with lowcarb and be healthier and happier for doing this form of eating than some of the others out there. You've made a good choice in my opinion.
shelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:09 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitchickintraining View Post
Hi~

I am 17 going on 18 year old college student who's trying to lose weight. I'm low carbing, because that's the only thing that seems to work for my PCOS. Anyway, i'm finding it kind of hard to balance eating every three hours when my classes are 10 minutes apart. I wake up and have breakfast (mostly turkey bacon, ham, and cheese eggs with a bit of liquid egg whites), but when it's time for lunch and snack, I don't seem to have much time to eat anything. And then when I get back home, I'm starving. My question is, will it be okay to just chow down almonds until I get back home to eat lunch. Oh, and is 45-60 carbs okay to lose weight successfully?
No, the almonds will shoot your efforts in the foot.

I know we have some college LC people on the forums that will have some great suggestions on how to deal with this situation.

Why are you trying to eat every 3 hours?

The menu you listed looks low fat and high protein. Up your fat. Google 'bullet proof coffee' - that breakfast drink will keep you going for hours and hours. I haven't had it because I am still trying to get my head around butter in my coffee, but I do have heavy whipping cream (HWC) and coconut oil in my coffee every morning. Add a moderate protein breakfast and you can go till mid to late afternoon before you get hungry again.

Some high fat protein that doesn't need to be refrigerated can be a great LC take along lunch/snack. Like the cheese/salami packaged things or other fat shelf stable meats.

Eat saturated and mono fats. Avoid PUFA fats (like soy oil).

The carb amount is typically unique to the individual. But if you stay under 50g total (not net) you'll be doing good for a start point.

reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:24 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
Hi Fitchick.....you might have better luck posting this question on one of the other low carb threads that is more "generic" than this one...this is the "Nutritional Ketosis: NK/High Fat- Low Carb thread. Maybe the Atkins thread????

Good luck with the schooling and weightloss. I think you will have great success with lowcarb and be healthier and happier for doing this form of eating than some of the others out there. You've made a good choice in my opinion.
Hi Shelley

Maybe the Main Lobby? I've seen a couple of different college students post there from time to time.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:57 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/212/199
Start Date: April 2012
Why are you eating liquid egg whites? You would be better off to eat the whole egg. Also, nuts in and of themselves are not bad, but you will need to measure out a portion. 1/4cup of almonds is 2 net carbs. I would suggest sticking with only one serving of nuts per day because they are so calorie dense. If you haven't already read a low carb book or two, I would suggest starting with one of the Atkin's books, preferably one of the older ones that Dr. Atkin's actually wrote. Good luck! This is a great way to lose the weight and take care of your health concerns.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:07 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

@Shelley-- I figured that once I began exploring the website : ) I'll go there from now on. Thanks lots and have an awesome day ^^

Last edited by Fitchickintraining; 01-17-2013 at 12:15 PM..
Old 01-17-2013, 12:13 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
No, the almonds will shoot your efforts in the foot.

I know we have some college LC people on the forums that will have some great suggestions on how to deal with this situation.

Why are you trying to eat every 3 hours?

The menu you listed looks low fat and high protein. Up your fat. Google 'bullet proof coffee' - that breakfast drink will keep you going for hours and hours. I haven't had it because I am still trying to get my head around butter in my coffee, but I do have heavy whipping cream (HWC) and coconut oil in my coffee every morning. Add a moderate protein breakfast and you can go till mid to late afternoon before you get hungry again.

Some high fat protein that doesn't need to be refrigerated can be a great LC take along lunch/snack. Like the cheese/salami packaged things or other fat shelf stable meats.

Eat saturated and mono fats. Avoid PUFA fats (like soy oil).

The carb amount is typically unique to the individual. But if you stay under 50g total (not net) you'll be doing good for a start point.

I always thought you needed to eat every three hours to maintain a steady weight loss.

I will try that bulletproof coffee; it sounds so weird though. Butter in coffee? Well I need a pick me up, so I'll definitely try that.

Alright, I'll stick to 50 and below : ) Thanks so much for helping me out~
Old 01-17-2013, 12:19 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfine View Post
Why are you eating liquid egg whites? You would be better off to eat the whole egg. Also, nuts in and of themselves are not bad, but you will need to measure out a portion. 1/4cup of almonds is 2 net carbs. I would suggest sticking with only one serving of nuts per day because they are so calorie dense. If you haven't already read a low carb book or two, I would suggest starting with one of the Atkin's books, preferably one of the older ones that Dr. Atkin's actually wrote. Good luck! This is a great way to lose the weight and take care of your health concerns.
I tend to have an ounce for snack. I love almonds : ) And I do eat the entire egg, I merely add some liquid egg white to the mix. I bought the New You Atkins book. I tried to do the induction, but I skipped to OWL to doing some revisions to fit a bit around my lifestyle (I love nuts and strawberries ^^)

Thank you so much for replying. I have an idea of what I'm going to do. Thanks again : )
Old 01-17-2013, 05:10 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Keep reading and learning and you will surely find your way to what works best for you with your schooling and lifestyle. I'm nearly 65 and still trying to figure out what is right for me! ha ha (unfortunately true), but you are starting out early to find what suits you best for good health and weightloss. Hope you find a plan that just "clicks" as the right one. Just don't be surprised when all of a sudden your body will change and it no longer works...and then you have to start all over again. So read and learn and enjoy every moment of your life!!!! I can tell that you will do great by what you've written.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:21 PM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I always thought you needed to eat every three hours to maintain a steady weight loss.

I will try that bulletproof coffee; it sounds so weird though. Butter in coffee? Well I need a pick me up, so I'll definitely try that.

Alright, I'll stick to 50 and below : ) Thanks so much for helping me out~
That 3 hour thing is mostly about maintaining a steady insulin level I think. For high carb eating it is probably a good strategy. LC typically keeps insulin rock steady so it isn't usually necessary to do that. If it is convenient and you like it then there is no reason not to do it. I mean, other than convenience and possibly calorie control there is no reason not to do it if you want to.

Very weird alright heh. Use the salt free butter and the grassfed version is what everyone uses I think.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:06 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
For the Bulletproof Coffee newbies: you melt 1 TB unsalted butter and 1 TB coconut oil, put them with the hot coffee in a blender cup and blend it. It comes out like a hot frappuccino, without the guilt. I love sweet coffee, so I add SF torani syrups as well. Keeps me going for at least 3 hours in the morning.

I know in college you're on your feet all the time and there never seems enough time for a decent meal. The one "rule" of low carbing I recommend to you is to not let yourself get hungry. Take the almonds along, pre-measured at an ounce, and eat them if you get hungry between classes. Cheese sticks are good, too - it doesn't have to be refrigerated all the time.
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:43 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
Keep reading and learning and you will surely find your way to what works best for you with your schooling and lifestyle. I'm nearly 65 and still trying to figure out what is right for me! ha ha (unfortunately true), but you are starting out early to find what suits you best for good health and weightloss. Hope you find a plan that just "clicks" as the right one. Just don't be surprised when all of a sudden your body will change and it no longer works...and then you have to start all over again. So read and learn and enjoy every moment of your life!!!! I can tell that you will do great by what you've written.
Thank you. It's just can be overwhelming sometimes, you know. I'm losing weight, but... I dunno I just want to do well. Thanks Shelley, your words are motivating.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:55 AM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
That 3 hour thing is mostly about maintaining a steady insulin level I think. For high carb eating it is probably a good strategy. LC typically keeps insulin rock steady so it isn't usually necessary to do that. If it is convenient and you like it then there is no reason not to do it. I mean, other than convenience and possibly calorie control there is no reason not to do it if you want to.

Very weird alright heh. Use the salt free butter and the grassfed version is what everyone uses I think.

The whole eating every three hours seems hard to do considering I'm in class until 3 o' clock. I want to do breakfast, lunch, snack, and dinner. I was thinking of drinking a protein shake between meals. Hopefully that'll work. And okay. Where could I find grassfed butter? Can I just get salt free, or do I need the grassfed one?
Old 01-19-2013, 09:58 AM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryKate View Post
For the Bulletproof Coffee newbies: you melt 1 TB unsalted butter and 1 TB coconut oil, put them with the hot coffee in a blender cup and blend it. It comes out like a hot frappuccino, without the guilt. I love sweet coffee, so I add SF torani syrups as well. Keeps me going for at least 3 hours in the morning.

I know in college you're on your feet all the time and there never seems enough time for a decent meal. The one "rule" of low carbing I recommend to you is to not let yourself get hungry. Take the almonds along, pre-measured at an ounce, and eat them if you get hungry between classes. Cheese sticks are good, too - it doesn't have to be refrigerated all the time.
It does sound pretty good. I think that's what I'm going to try. What do I have to lose? Question though: Is the bulletproof coffee filling? Like can I just drink this alone, or do I need to eat something with it?
Old 01-19-2013, 11:55 AM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
The whole eating every three hours seems hard to do considering I'm in class until 3 o' clock. I want to do breakfast, lunch, snack, and dinner. I was thinking of drinking a protein shake between meals. Hopefully that'll work. And okay. Where could I find grassfed butter? Can I just get salt free, or do I need the grassfed one?
Any of the health oriented grocery stores will have it like Whole Foods or Sprouts. Some other supermarkets carry it too.

Well, from what I've read on posts around here the grassfed is much better tasting than the other stuff so that will make a big difference in the BPC experience.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:56 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Hey fitchick!!!! I have a shaker bottle with a lid and inside is a slinky looking "round ball" that mixes up protein powder. I usually fill the bottle with a bit of heavy whipping cream and water and in a separate container I have some protein powder. When on the run, I just toss the protein powder in the bottle...shake shake shake and CHUG it down. Holds me for hours and hours and takes less than a minute. Great idea!!!! I had forgotten that I do that on occasion.

Kerrygold makes grass fed butter (which means no hormones, not grass fed, and no antibiotics). I get mine at Costco or the local store that has gourmet cheeses and such. I haven't found the "salt free" one, so even though they recommend salt free, I like the salted one just dandy!!! It's yummy stuff and it will hold you for a long time. I've even tried putting some protein powder in it and it's great (used vanilla once and mocha cappuchino another time). Just a delicious hot milkshake! :-)
shelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:58 AM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
It does sound pretty good. I think that's what I'm going to try. What do I have to lose? Question though: Is the bulletproof coffee filling? Like can I just drink this alone, or do I need to eat something with it?
It is super duper filling. Like, have just that in the morning and not eat again till sometime in the afternoon not being hungry the entire day pretty much.

That is what most people say that drink it all the time.

I can't recall how much they were drinking though so that will make a difference I reckon.