Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 12:22 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: chapman182
Stats: 188.8/186.6/165
WOE: Medi Weightloss (doing on my own without clinic)
Start Date: 11/19/2011
No purple! What am I doing wrong! Going crazy

Hey guys,

So here I am complaining again. It's my 5th day of a less than 20 carb, 500 calorie diet today. I've tested for ketosis since day 3, and the strips are becoming more purple, but It seems that I can't get out of the "small" category (light pink). What do I need to do to get into full purp? The only thing I can think of that is delaying my progress is possibly my one cup of coffee in the morning with sugar free creamer (2g carbs) and a Splenda. The rest of the day, I just drink black coffee, water, and 1 diet soda...

What's going on here!

Thanks,

Shaun
chapman182 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2013, 01:26 PM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Georgette76
Stats: 210/200/150
WOE: LCHF/Nutritional Ketosis/Primal
Where is the fat? What happened to food?
Georgette76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:58 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luigi_uk
WOE: nutritional ketosis-Maintenance
Start Date: Aug 2012
diet soda hmmmm from what i hear from the experts, anything with the words, "diet" and "zero" in them be suspicious, whats your protein levels?
luigi_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:09 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by chapman182 View Post
Hey guys,

So here I am complaining again. It's my 5th day of a less than 20 carb, 500 calorie diet today. I've tested for ketosis since day 3, and the strips are becoming more purple, but It seems that I can't get out of the "small" category (light pink). What do I need to do to get into full purp? The only thing I can think of that is delaying my progress is possibly my one cup of coffee in the morning with sugar free creamer (2g carbs) and a Splenda. The rest of the day, I just drink black coffee, water, and 1 diet soda...

What's going on here!

Thanks,

Shaun
500 calories?! You aren't giving your body enough food, your going to end up eating away at your LBM and I'm pretty sure you won't want that. What are your goals exactly? Do you have any idea how many pounds of fat you need to lose? From what I understand you don't want your strips to be in the darker range if they are the urine strips you are using, or are you talking about the blood strips. Maybe someone with more experience can help out with this post.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:49 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Hmmm...is this a joke? 500 calories is starvation and a good way (as Punkin said) to lose lean body mass and starve yourself which brings on a host of other issues.

That being said, if you are looking into nutritional ketosis, you need to be eating a minimum of 1200 calories and testing for blood ketones, not urine (purple) ketones which test a totally different type of ketone.

You have in your info that you are doing your own weightloss....and it sure seems that you are. What you are doing is dangerous and very unhealthy and you will not get into "Ketosis" on your plan.

If I'm incorrect, please advise.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:51 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jillybean720
Stats: 324/193/150
WOE: LC/HF
Why are your calories so low? With calories that extremely low, I'm going to guess you're not consuming enough fat and possibly not even enough protein.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:22 PM   #7

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
those urine strips are NOT accurate. just ignore them!

they only measure one sort of ketones and you might be making the other type. really, don't worry about it.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:27 AM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Shaun, you realize you posted the exact same question, word for word, 3 times, two here in the NK sub-forum and one in the medi sub-forum?

Not seeing purple on the strips...what am I doing wrong? - NK forum.

No full ketosis? What am I doing wrong?! - medi-weightloss forum.

No purple! What am I doing wrong! Going crazy - NK forum.

Why did you change the titles?
reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:14 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dawnth1
Urine strips only tell you excess ketones not being used. If you have any color at all, you are in ketosis. Peeing ketones is not the results you are looking for. You will be losing muscle which is also supplying glycogen. Something you are trying to avoid. Look up Keto calculator online, and put in the info to get accurate info on what nutritional
map is necessary for your goals.
dawnth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:04 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NKSL55
Stats: 205/185/175
WOE: General LC then NK
Start Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnth1 View Post
Urine strips only tell you excess ketones not being used. If you have any color at all, you are in ketosis. Peeing ketones is not the results you are looking for. You will be losing muscle which is also supplying glycogen. Something you are trying to avoid. Look up Keto calculator online, and put in the info to get accurate info on what nutritional
map is necessary for your goals.
Ketones in your urine does not mean you are losing muscles. It means your body is carb-deficit enough that it is generating ketone bodies to keep nervous tissue fed but hasn't tightened things up enough to burn all of them before they are excreted. (I am ignoring the possibility of DKA, for the purposes of this discussion.)

--
Phillip
NKSL55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:54 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: speds
What are you doing wrong? Well - not eating is the first thing. Where did you come up with a 500 calorie a day plan? That's simply not healthy. I'm actually very surprised though that your pee sticks aren't turning dark purple on this kind of diet. The pee sticks are not very reliable for a nutritional ketosis but they are really good indicators when it comes to starvation.
speds is offline   Reply With Quote