Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 11:36 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: unna
Stats: 230/155-160/tone
WOE: Primal LCHF
Start Date: January 2012
Happy Update

Still in awe: down a pound!

Despite the fact that my main goal is not weight loss, I still check the scales sometimes to make sure that I'm not steadily gaining. Or, if I don't get on the scale, I measure.

Anyway, this is also exciting because my period is starting today - as most women know, we are usually our absolute heaviest right before our actual period starts.

I still can't believe it. I can't believe that proper nourishment is making me lean. I starved myself for so many years, still couldn't get skinny. I smoked, still couldn't get skinny. I jogged everyday for an hour..... and gained weight. I even tried being a vegetarian/vegan for a year. I tried every diet known to man and wondered what was wrong with me. I finally decided I must not have the willpower to eat as few calories as other people..... they were losing with calorie counting, but I wasn't.

At the time, I was really upset with my body for holding onto weight. Now I am thankful that it did - it literally saved my life.

So, as I am focusing on nourishing myself, which includes: a primal LCHF, eating only when hungry, not completely stuffing myself, and fitness goals (such as 20 real pushups and a pullup), the scale keep slowly tending downward.

However, there is also the reality that the scale will tend upward if I: buy marscapone! (it is like peanut butter- I can't stop eating it), if I stuff myself at a meal, if I eat because I'm procrastinating, if I stop weight lifting, if I'm not sleeping enough. But, avoiding these downfalls is not so terribly hard for my willpower.

My new, additional goals:
-briskly walk for 30 minutes every morning in a fasted state (to reflect, to de-stress)
-continue to focus everyday on the "content, satisfied" feeling - not hungry, but not full. I really need to just stop eating when I feel satisfied, not stuffed. This is really hard for me, as I've always been addicted to quantity.
-not to forget my vegetables! This includes my love for steamed spinach, boiled beets, roasted brussel sprouts, celeriac puree, etc.

I really appreciate everyone posting their experiences with a high fat diet here - it sounds silly, but it really is a cutting edge idea that the majority are afraid of.

To be clear: its not foolproof. However, its the closest to foolproof that I've ever found.
unna is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2013, 03:52 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
This is great news, Unna! Congratulations!
You sound like you know what works, and your weightloss has proven that!!!

Thanks for sharing!
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:11 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Congratulations on finding something that works for you, Unna. Sounds like you have a great plan! You might consider taking measurements periodically, too, if you aren't already doing so; you are probably building heavier muscle and replacing bulkier fat when working on your fitness goals.

I can relate to your frustration about trying and trying and trying to lose weight for years and failing, despite being on plan, exercising vigorously for several hours per day, etc. A primal NK approach seems to be the charm for me, too, and I also feel great eating this way.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:41 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

I suppose we can look at our body's resistance to losing the weight in the past as a saving mechanism....

In 2011, I did an entire year of calorie counting and jogging. I didn't cheat and I was always jogging. It was SO frustrating when the scale never moved and my body stayed the same. But then others would chime in with amazing success stories.

Well svenskamae, I guess our bodies just don't tick that way!
Old 01-09-2013, 06:43 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

To be more accurate: I did lose a few lbs, but I was always hungry, always on the verge of a binge, no muscle tone, and then it was super hard to maintain that loss.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:50 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244

I love it when everything falls into place.
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:12 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
Sounds all too familiar. But honestly I know lots of people who function on HC and don't have weight issues. I think some people just weren't meant to be HC. I highly doubt I will every be able to go back to moderate or HC eating. Like you LC or NK has just resulted in a better quality of life. I think some people are just "born to eat fat!" While others, maybe not so. I think we're going to still get weird looks from the rest of the population because people like us are the minority. I think there are more gluten intolerant people out there than NKers
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:53 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Punkin: It is interesting to think that we have body types which need to eat fat, and thus low-carb, to thrive.

I wonder if those of us who thrive on more fat have any more commonalities..... some suggestions:

-Is anyone else here pear-shaped? (is it almost impossible to lose weight on your thighs and butt?)
-Does anyone else here have very thick, somewhat dry hair?
-Did anyone else have a low-level depression, and no enthusiasm for life?
-Was anyone here obese at one point in their life, and if so, when? I was very obese from about 12-15. I was much shorter than I am now, and packed on all the pounds in a year.

Just curious. I'm wondering if those that do well on high fat have many other interesting shared features. I'm at a lack for better questions at the moment!
Old 01-09-2013, 05:50 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bjjcaveman
Stats: 180.0/180.4/165.0
WOE: nutritional ketosis
Just wanted to give you kudos along with everyone else.

Its wonderful that things have worked out so well for you!
bjjcaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:31 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unna View Post
I wonder if those of us who thrive on more fat have any more commonalities.....
I would say yes to all of those. The worst though was being overweight at the age of 12 and not understanding why. I appeared to be eating the same things as every other person my age, the difference though, that I was fat. Probably the truth behind it was that HC never filled me up. So for example eating cake, cookies, candy, hot dog, pizza, whatever was on the go, didn't fill me up like the other kids, so in reality I probably ate more. That was a long time ago, it was probably the insulin spikes causing false hunger signals, resulting in more food consumption. That is what I am guessing. HF though, completely different story, I feel full all the time, even though I am consuming the same number of calories I was a year ago on a HC diet. I was always raiding the cupboard. I used to keep a lock on the door to the carb cupboard. It is such a relief not to have to do that anymore.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:56 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luigi_uk
WOE: nutritional ketosis-Maintenance
Start Date: Aug 2012
yes just an echo from the UK ....good stuff
luigi_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:38 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Punkin: I think we may be twins separated at birth - I feel like I could have written what you just wrote!

My Mother even took me to a counselor about my overeating when I was about 13, and she said that it appears that I don't know when I'm full - that I cannot recognize satiation. She didn't know why I wasn't normal.

Well, it turns out, we ARE normal.

My weight gain happened immediately after we moved from the country to town - from a farm, with a garden, only whole foods (canned organic fruits and veggies in the winter) to Aldis.

My mom assumed my weight gain was because "She doesn't move around outside anymore like she did in the country". She never once thought that maybe she should try to go back to the same diet I grew up on.... she was ecstatic that she didn't have to spend weeks on end canning or all day in the garden (she's not a nature lover). She loved convenience and convenience food.

So, she took me to WW at 12, because WW was super convenient with those frozen meals. She had me eating them for lunch and dinner. However, I eventually broke out with terrible hives all over my legs that wouldn't go away. She took me to the doctor, and I remember him being very angry, he said "STOP feeding her those diet frozen meals immediately!" Poor mom - she loved us, she tried, she was just completely confused by all the false advertising. She believed everything she saw on TV.

The first time I weighed myself at WW as a child was very emotional. The huge letters on the scale flashed "227". My counselor couldn't believe I weighed so much, I was only a child. I was so ashamed. Then I had to sit through a WW meeting which was for ADULTS. I was supposed to learn something.... and then I begged my mom not to take me every week because I felt like I was being punished by my counselor if the numbers on the scale weren't smaller.

Anyway, this set me up for a lot of psychological weight issues to come.

I'm happy to have found an answer to these like you Punkin. I'm not super model skinny, but I'm a normal weight, my weight is quite stable, I have energy, and my constant hunger is gone. That is all I've ever wanted.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:33 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
Yay! I'm glad this is working so well for you.

Quote:

I wonder if those of us who thrive on more fat have any more commonalities.....
- Did anyone else have a low-level depression, and no enthusiasm for life?
- Was anyone here obese at one point in their life, and if so, when?
I also suspect a genetic component, and would be curious to see some research done among low-carbers to find out if we can establish the genetic factors. Not everything on your list applies to me, but sadly I have the depression and obesity. In my case, the depression is hormone-based, and hasn't improved with NK - but it hasn't gotten worse, either. It's just there.

My obesity started around age age 13, when like you I moved from the country to a town and stopped living outdoors. I ran all the time as a kid and ate a pretty healthy diet, but that ended when we moved. After a while I started trying all fad diets of the 80s, with no success. I even tried a liquid diet of about 500 cals. a day for a week and gained 5 lbs. - that probably should have been a clue! But there was no info. about low-carb diets around at that point, so I kind of gave up on trying to control my weight.

By the time I made another effort to lose weight, I was 35 and weighed 252 lbs. I returned to the low-fat diet and intense exercise routine for two years and lost 65 lbs, but I couldn't keep it up. I was always hungry, and spending 2+ hours exercising each day. Once I stopped, half the weight came back, along with very serious depression.

I finally started Atkins two years ago on a whim, after reading Gary Taubes' article in Reader's Digest, and after a week on that I had my "aha!" moment. For the first time in my life, I had no compulsion to eat, and no blood sugar swings. It was such a relief. After a year my weight loss slowed down, and I found the NK thread and reduced my protein.

I know NK is the way my body was designed to work because I'm never hungry, losing weight is easy and all the things that used to tempt me no longer have any appeal. I'm at my lowest adult weight, but exercise doesn't dominate my life anymore - I walk for fun and stress relief.

I have a couple of questions for you:

Do you still wrestle with depression? Have you found any relationship between your diet and your depression?

And regarding your paleo emphasis: did you ever use dairy products? If so, what change did you find in switching to paleo?
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:14 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

MerryKate: I'm so glad you shared your story.

I also remember going on many very low-calorie diets for longer periods of time and barely losing anything. I hated my body - now I think it is miraculous for helping me through such periods of malnutrition.

When I started primal in January 2012 out of desperation (I finally admitted to myself that calorie counting and jogging weren't working), I also had the "aha" moment. I couldn't stop talking about it to my poor husband "I can eat! I don't have to starve myself anymore! And I'm still losing weight!"

I suffered from teenage years on with depression. In my mid-twenties it progressed and my mind was filled with suicidal thoughts. At this time, I was also on a crazy absolutely no fat diet - just another attempt to eat a ton of veggies and lose weight (to be healthy and happy!).

Most of my life, I thought I simply inherited my father's depression. He has always been very negative and worries all the time. He has always had a constant, low level depression.

My depression and general mood have improved substantially. Besides eating this way, I also broke down and bought an expensive bottle of cod liver oil. It is absolutely the nastiest tasting stuff on earth. I take a tablespoon most days of the week. I down it with a swig of salty pickle juice and eat a few pickles too.

I credit my improvement in depression to both my low carb diet and the cod liver oil. I really don't think it is placebo. I believe I've probably had vitamin d and a deficiencies most of my life. I also never had enough omega 3.

I do eat dairy on primal, but not all: I only drink buttermilk (no real milk, it causes a blood sugar crash), and I only eat small quantities of cheeses that have been aged for quite some time: blue cheese, parmesan, and old goudas. Unfortunately, all other forms of cheeses, including cream cheese, marscapone, regular gouda, seems to cause blood sugar crashes. They don't leave me satiated.

Of course, I'm not perfect, living in a wonderful fairy tale land.... I still have issues - but over the course of a year, my life really has transformed. I really want to share my story - I hope it helps someone....... people should also know that this doesn't happen overnight. I've been eating primally for a year, and only recently upped my fat and decreased my protein. I'm really not completely egoistic, always talking about myself - I'm normally a private person. I just want to make sure I get my story out there.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:01 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Good story. Thanks for sharing. Learned a couple new things to try. You have come a long way. Congratulations.
cici52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:15 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

@unna. This sounds all too familiar. My mother took me to a diet clinic when I was 12 as well because I was overweight, and she didn't know why. There were signs earlier such as eating an entire bag of halloween candy after trick or treating, but my parents just thought I liked candy. Even though my sister did not do that.

I didn't grow up on a farm but my parents did and then moved to the city as soon as I was born, and they bought a lot of convenience foods as well. First it was the canned veggies and meats, potatos. No fat at these meals, and then it moved to packaged foods. For treats we had pop, chips and there were always a lot of sweets around: eclairs, pies, ice cream. Things that I am sure were full of sugar. But every other kid (my parents friends) ate the same things and none of them had a weight problem, so they didn't attribute my weight gain to the diet. Which was the reason why I think it is genetic.

They attributed it to a lack of exercise. So I was told to get more exercise. And I did, but it wasn't until my late teens and twenties when I really took up exercise to control my weight. And then it was great! I learned I could keep my weight in a somewhat normal range if I exercised all the time. This became my primary weight management tool after I quit smoking (at age 30). I had a lot of success with that until I met my husband. He loved all those "evil" foods that I had voughed to keep out of the house (so I wouldn't eat them). I used to make him keep his chocolate and chips in his car until one day I found a huge melted block of chocolate in the back of his vehicle. Then I told him to bring them back in the house, but I kept a lock on that cupboard from that point on.

About a year ago when I was heavily into endurance exercise (2-5hrs a day). I started to become aware of what was really going on and decided that I wanted to make change. That is when I started to focus on my diet. I did not like the way I was living. Sure, exercise sounds like a healthy thing to do, but it isn't if you are doing it for all the wrong reasons. And I think if you can say you are doing it for these reasons: to keep fit and stay in shape. Then those are the wrong reasons. It should only be for enjoyment. What I said above is more of a mask for "keeping the fat away." Here is where some people might disagree with me and I agree that it is oversimplified. But for me, excessive exercise did two things: aggravate the problem I have with my diet and take up too much personal time (work, family and social life). Now what I have to do is undo years of several faulty life strategies all caused my a diet that doesn't work for me (too high in carbs, too low in fat).

I have been on a low fat diet for years, thinking that it was the "fat" that was causing my weight issues. I obviously need a high fat/low carb diet. My story is the same as both of yours, I'm just one of those people. Depression is something that I have struggled with as well as some people in my family, and once again, my mood completely changed as soon as I brought the fat back into my diet. It was like a miracle. I am happy all the time now and everyone comments on it. I thought the depression was caused by weight issues but now I think it is also because of a faulty diet.

I do think people like us are in the minority in society though, I can see people out there that might need a LC diet, and probably aren't on one. But not that many, I know plenty of people that eat HC and are of normal weight who don't have to exercise excessively to keep the "fat away."
Old 01-14-2013, 05:49 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Yvonnem2000
Stats: 148.6/151/135
WOE: Atkins Induction + veggies
Start Date: April 2012
Quote:
Punkin: It is interesting to think that we have body types which need to eat fat, and thus low-carb, to thrive.

I wonder if those of us who thrive on more fat have any more commonalities..... some suggestions:

-Is anyone else here pear-shaped? (is it almost impossible to lose weight on your thighs and butt?)
-Does anyone else here have very thick, somewhat dry hair?
-Did anyone else have a low-level depression, and no enthusiasm for life?
-Was anyone here obese at one point in their life, and if so, when? I was very obese from about 12-15. I was much shorter than I am now, and packed on all the pounds in a year.

Just curious. I'm wondering if those that do well on high fat have many other interesting shared features. I'm at a lack for better questions at the moment!
I've always been a definite pear. Getting a little more apple-y since age 40.
Very thick hair, don't think of it as dry.
Not generally depressed.
I was overweight, I think, in middle school, but slimmed down after age 16 or so. Honestly, I think I could have had a much bigger weight problem in childhood/teen years, but we were poor and rarely had convenience foods. Then I was obese again after two kids; lost the weight, regained, lost it again in 2008.

Though I lost the weight on WW and serious exercise, after awhile that didn't work for me anymore. I think my insulin resistance increased, I didn't have as much time to exercise, and then they made fruit "free!" Yikes!

Since starting low-carb in April, I feel much better. But I can only lose weight keeping protein to 75 g and carbs to about 20g net. I've tried every other combo and IF, etc, hoping to find a way around that! But I came back to this way of eating last week. It is definitely right for me.
Yvonnem2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:38 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Punkin: I think we could be long lost twins! I also have a vivid memory of being unable to stop eating grilled cheese sandwiches when I was a kid. It was the only think I knew how to cook. I was watching TV and during each commercial break, I would quickly go make another grilled cheese sandwich. I must have ate an entire loaf of white bread, and I was never full. I kept wondering what was wrong with me.... I knew it wasn't normal to eat so many sandwiches, but I didn't know how to stop.

Looking back, besides insulin resistance, I'm pretty sure I was very malnourished, despite my being overweight.

The only aspect where we differ is that I began gaining weight with endurance exercise, whereas you seemed to be able to use it to control your weight. There is a nice success story of a former "fat triathlete" on the EverydayPaleo blog right now. That sort of describes me.

I also just read a new study on the pear shape, and how it is not as healthy as we thought it was (blog: itsthesatiety).
Old 01-18-2013, 01:33 AM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
You can count me as another person who ate grilled cheese sandwiches by the truckload and never feeling full.... Wow, it's as if you both described me! Scary.

So glad for this WOE. I really can stop and feel happy about eating less.

I never had insulin resistance, my blood sugar numbers have always been fine, but I guess if I continued on the path that I was I would have eaten myself to diabetes.
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote