Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 10:34 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luvmybabyhead
Stats: 342/288/275 (2nd goal)
WOE: LC/HF
Start Date: 7/17/13
Trying to do NK...

I was losing weight like gangbusters last year doing NK (70% fat, was not testing my blood tho) but I ended up getting sick and going completely off plan while I was sick. Of course I gained all the weight and more back. BOO. Well I am finally not sick ( I was ill for 10 weeks!) but I feel like poo because of my diet.

Anyway I am finding it hard to get back to NK verses LC. I wanted opinions on whether it has been easier for you to go from SAD to LC to NK or if there are those of you who went right from SAD to NK without issue.

Part of my issue is that I am still out of the habit of eating low carb. Without thinking this weekend I ate 2 pieces of pizza. DUH. I was polishing off the last piece and all of a sudden it dawned on me what I had done. I mean who does that?! Me apparently.

NK was my WOE for about 4 weeks and I loved it...like I said, I was seeing small losses almost constantly....but I'm wondering if I ought to stick with standard LC for a bit and then tweak it to NK once I have my mindset on a LC WOE.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Any helpful and thoughtful insight would be really appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2013, 03:48 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
I think it's harder to plan for nutritional ketosis than it is to plan for just lowcarb. While eating lowcarb only, I just watched my carbs but ate as much protein as I wanted. To be in nutritional ketosis, I have to limit protein grams fairly severely and eat more fat instead. So, for example, if I eat out at a restaurant and order a high protein entree, I have to skimp on protein the rest of the day. On nutritional ketosis, I eat protein at 2 meals per day--in smallish measured portions--and do just HWC in coffee for breakfast, and snack (if at all) on high fat foods like macademia nuts, avocado, or coconut butter.

If doing just low carb without limiting protein allowed me to lose weight at a reasonable rate, then I'd still be doing that. If it works for you to just do low carb, why not go with that?

I found it relatively easy to give up carby foods, but I struggled with hunger when switching over to nutritional ketosis. If you aren't in the habit of eating lowcarb, adding the habit/limit of only moderate protein may be tackling too much at once. I can't do NK without measuring, weighing, and tracking everything I eat, which means I don't eat anything without thinking ahead and planning ahead, and it doesn't sound like you are there. By contrast, doing just lowcarb, I thought in simple terms of "I eat this" and "I don't eat that," which was easier to turn into a habit.

Of course, you've already tried NK for a while, and maybe you liked it enough to go right back to it. But if I were in your position, I'd probably do 2 weeks of Atkins induction, then try doing lowcarb without limiting protein for a while, and if that wasn't letting me lose well, only then would I go with NK.

I'm glad you are over your illness. Either just LC or NK will be a big improvement over SAD, and I'm sure you'll be feeling better soon, whichever one you opt for.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:03 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Thank you so much for your thoughtful response. I think I'll stick to induction for right now and up my fat after the "habit" of low carb is more ingrained into my head. Thanks again for helping me tease that out!
luvmybabyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:22 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 20, 2012
Hi! Last time around, I did NK after a few weeks of Induction. Its easy enough if you can plan around it, and at the time I was in school full time so being away from a fridge and having regimented snacks (macadamia nuts, brie, cream cheese, etc) was very helpful and kept my protein levels in check and my macros around 80/15/5 every day. However, after about a week of keeping my macros that way, I got seriously nauseous on and off all day to the point of think I was pregnant! (I wasn't)

This time around I just jumped right back into NK after eating 3 weeks off plan. I have been on winter break and have been home, so this time around I average 70/23/7. I am not losing as fast, but I'm still losing. And the nausea is gone (for now).

NK just takes soooo much more planning and foresight than regular LC does. Luckily, I enjoy the planning/prepping so it actually works to my advantage. Good luck
mizzcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:08 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
I would go back to regular LC ( with an eye on the amount of protein) and see what happens. If you are losing stay with it. If your weight loss stops for 3-4 weeks, try tracking and dropping ptn.
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:14 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
I personally find NK to be really difficult, for the reasons already mentioned: You have to do a lot of tracking and planning, as well as the fact that it really isn't easy to do in our culture with the food that is available to us.

Low carb is much easier. And you can still lose weight just doing low carb because it is all about being in a calorie deficit. Ironically I lost all my weight doing a high carb diet with less than 10g of fat a day. I lost 40lbs that way. In the end you do what works for you. For some people high carb works great, for some low carb works well, for others it has to be NK. It just depends on your goals and how your body works. It also depends on your lifestyle as well.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:30 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Thanks so much for all of your thoughts. They are very much appreciated!
Old 01-09-2013, 03:20 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: unna
Stats: 230/155-160/tone
WOE: Primal LCHF
Start Date: January 2012
I actually find NK and the higher fat ratios easier than just low-carb (where protein is the focus for most).

I think, in the end, it depends on what you like to eat personally.

For example, today:

Breakfast
coffee and 1 tbs. HWC
1 small cup of bone marrow broth (fatty)
2 brazil nuts

Lunch
1 egg and 2 pieces bacon in teaspoon butter

Dinner
100g ham with blue cheese
Brussel sprouts and butter
Dessert: a few bites of coconut cream

And there may be a snack somewhere in there.... This is all SO easy for me. But maybe I naturally tend toward fattier foods? I actually struggle to eat more protein. Also, oftentimes after I workout I will drink a small glass of buttermilk, which has some protein.
unna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:16 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

I seem to be moving naturally to a higher fat, moderate protein LC plan. Right now I'm just going to concentrate on staying LC and I'll tweak it later if need be. Thanks for all the responses everyone!