Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 12:42 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
Ketosis friendly foods to eat when out.

I just returned from a mini conference for work and found myself at a complete loss trying to figure out what to eat. Most of the meals were catered and I found myself doing things like picking the filling out of sandwiches (cream cheese and smoked salmon) and snacking on cheese and coffee cream all day long.

I am not sure what types of meals or foods are ketosis friendly when you are out. I am new so I am not sure what to do. What do people usually order or do you just give up and bring your own food. I am new to the diet so I am not sure. It seems like everything around is either too high in carbs or too high in protein and nothing is high enough in fat. Any advice would be appreciated thanks.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2013, 02:04 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jillybean720
Stats: 324/193/150
WOE: LC/HF
When eating out, I usually end up high in protein, and I just keep my carbs low and add as much fat as I can to the meal. I'll do things like a salad with lots of protein and fat (greens with bacon, cheese, egg, oil-based or creamy non-sweet dressing, avocado, etc.); a bunless burger with extra cheese and mayo; sides of green veggies with extra butter piled on in place of usual starchy sides...

That said I don't test ketone levels, but I'm sure the extra protein would have an impact. I refuse to avoid eating out; doing so would cripple me soacially and professionally.
Weight goals currently on hold due to pregnancy...baby #2 coming late October/early November 2013!

Pre-pregnancy #2 weight: 193 (the day I found out I was pregnant)
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:07 PM   #3

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
yes, it's awful. I would often put some food in my purse and eat it in the restroom at work related events like you describe. I didn't want to get into it with customers, bosses, etc., but nothing they had was food as far as I was concerned.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:12 PM   #4
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
Take along a small bottle of olive oil (or whatever oil you like on your salads) and pour it over your salad, veggies and protein to "up" the fat.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:43 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
When eating out, I usually end up high in protein, and I just keep my carbs low and add as much fat as I can to the meal. I'll do things like a salad with lots of protein and fat (greens with bacon, cheese, egg, oil-based or creamy non-sweet dressing, avocado, etc.); a bunless burger with extra cheese and mayo; sides of green veggies with extra butter piled on in place of usual starchy sides...

That said I don't test ketone levels, but I'm sure the extra protein would have an impact. I refuse to avoid eating out; doing so would cripple me soacially and professionally.
Hi Jilly....have missed you!!!

I also eat bunless burgers with mayo and bacon, or a salad with bleu cheese dressing and usually chicken with veggies/avocado, etc., and if I know it's going to be a ladies potluck, I'm doomed and just take my shaker bottle with HWC and water and a small container with whey protein powder. I shake it up at the table and they all wonder why I'm not eating this and that and I just tell them I have many food restrictions and that's all I say. I've gotten good at eating out over the last few years. I've also gotten a club sandwich with the 3 slices of bread, turkey, avocado, lettuce, tomato, mayo...and after the wait person leaves, I do a great "disassembly" and put all the pieces of bread on a bread plate and eat the "guts" happily! Once I asked for a BLT with no bread and they couldn't do it. Dumb. You'll catch on. It's really not that hard one you recognize that you really just want protein and fat! When I'm out I don't worry about the grams of protein/fat...but I rarely go out. And I know that salad/veggie carbs are next to nothing.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:41 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 20, 2012
I usually know ahead of time if I'm going to be eating out, and eat little protein and high fat the rest of the day, so I don't have to worry about too much protein at dinner-- it usually ends up being the right amount.

Bunless burger w/ cheese and bacon
Cobb or chef salad w/ ranch
Steak w/ veggies (had this with blue cheese butter on both for NYE dinner, OMG)
Any kind of "bad for you" sounding sandwich w/o the bun: smothered chicken, roast beef, club sandwiches, etc
Last night, I had naked chicken tenders w/ garlic parmesan sauce, and intead of fries, I subbed out for a mixed green salad with hardboiled egg, bacon, cheese, and apple cider vinaigrette.

Get creative!
mizzcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:18 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: unna
Stats: 230/155-160/tone
WOE: Primal LCHF
Start Date: January 2012
I totally agree with jillybean720 - I typically save my protein for that meal..... in Germany it is not so difficult because you can find good quality fattier sausages or fatty fish everywhere ...

But, I think catered events would be really difficult! It sounds like you did a good job avoiding the carbs, even though they were everywhere!
unna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:34 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unna View Post
I totally agree with jillybean720 - I typically save my protein for that meal..... in Germany it is not so difficult because you can find good quality fattier sausages or fatty fish everywhere ...

But, I think catered events would be really difficult! It sounds like you did a good job avoiding the carbs, even though they were everywhere!
My problem is that I got weird looks, and it made me feel really uncomfortable. I should probably just say I am a diabetic because I pretty much eat the same way, no sugar, very few carbs. But the thing that I found is that the breakfast and lunch were all bread/fruit based, and bread for me is the worst. At least with going to a restaurant you can order something that makes somewhat sense. Salad if nothing else and people seem to accept that as normal. I was with a girl who has life threatening allergies and she brought her own food, so that is an idea. But I know she feels uncomfortable, we both got a lot of questions. I guess I will just get used to it. I don't really have family that are supportive. They have all thought over the years that I have some type of eating disorder, which I do. But it is physiologically based, which I just recently learned. Once I can get my insulin levels under control, I can start leading a normal life. My husband certainly appreciates me not exercising as much, it was the only thing that kept me from over-eating copious amounts of food. Not to mention that our grocery bill has gone down significantly due to me not binge eating as much. There is a bigger picture and he sees that
Old 01-05-2013, 11:25 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bjjcaveman
Stats: 180.0/180.4/165.0
WOE: nutritional ketosis
Not sure if anyone here eats asian food... but sometimes when I go I order a bowl of noodle soup.... without the noodles.

I just drink the soup which is usaully a bone broth or type of meat stock... and I ask to add extra meat and vegetables.

Other times I order steak and instead of potatoes, substitute for steamed vegetables.
bjjcaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:38 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 20, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
My problem is that I got weird looks, and it made me feel really uncomfortable. I should probably just say I am a diabetic because I pretty much eat the same way, no sugar, very few carbs. But the thing that I found is that the breakfast and lunch were all bread/fruit based, and bread for me is the worst. At least with going to a restaurant you can order something that makes somewhat sense. Salad if nothing else and people seem to accept that as normal. I was with a girl who has life threatening allergies and she brought her own food, so that is an idea. But I know she feels uncomfortable, we both got a lot of questions. I guess I will just get used to it. I don't really have family that are supportive. They have all thought over the years that I have some type of eating disorder, which I do. But it is physiologically based, which I just recently learned. Once I can get my insulin levels under control, I can start leading a normal life. My husband certainly appreciates me not exercising as much, it was the only thing that kept me from over-eating copious amounts of food. Not to mention that our grocery bill has gone down significantly due to me not binge eating as much. There is a bigger picture and he sees that
Punkin, for breakfast, I guarantee you no one will give you a side eye if you order bacon and eggs. C'mon, its the all American breakfast!
mizzcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:32 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Who cares about weird looks? I think sometimes, even those are in our heads because we're self conscious about what we're doing. But, if they're real, I don't hesitate to just say I'm eating low in carbs. I don't think it's anything to be embarrassed or ashamed about, and the are lots of different reasons people avoid carbs. Avoiding gluten seems to be a bit of a fad right now, so I don't think anyone would bat an eye if you used that as a reason for avoiding breads/pastas/etc. All my coworkers know I'm eating low carb, and we go out to lunch frequently, so they often joke that we'll go to an Italian place because they know that's the most difficult for me! Quite frankly, even if we did Italian, I'd just go for a grilled chicken caesar salad, sans croutons, extra cheese. They've watched me order fajitas at a restaurant with no rice, no beans, no tortillas...just the meat, cheese, sour cream, guacamole, and pico, which I just mix all together and eat with a fork. If what I'm trying to order seems to cause the server some anguish, then I just do like shelley and order it regular, then take it apart when the food arrives. Sometimes, this works out well - I once had pizza with a group and ate only the cheese off the top, and one of my coworkers happily indulged in the crusts I was going to discard!
Old 01-06-2013, 06:45 AM   #12
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
No one has ever made me feel uncomfortable when ordering food although I did have a young woman server who seemed rather incredulous that I only wanted eggs and bacon - no sides at all but in order to appease her, I agreed to sliced tomatoes. My plate arrived with about half a large sliced tomato that looked pink and disgusting. I guess in her mind, I needed a 'fuller' plate. So cute. Next time, I will just agree to more bacon!!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:37 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2012
I have quit caring about what others think. Just tell them you have a lot of allergies.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:31 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tymom
Stats: Big/ not so big/ small
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: August (this time around)
i run into this all the time as i travel and attend lots of meetings. the toughest part is breakfast which often is cereal/oatmeal, breads and fruit. If i can't find any bacon (BACON!) I will skip altogether or grab the berries and cream cheese.

Lunch is easy- there is always protein on its own, or to pick apart from the bread in a pinch.

i have never once been asked about my choices. I think that WE THINK people care when they really don't!
tymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:38 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

The last time I was faced with the "continental" offerings of pastries, bagels, fruit, juice, etc., I actually took 4 packets of butter and just ate that
Quote:
Originally Posted by tymom View Post
i have never once been asked about my choices. I think that WE THINK people care when they really don't!
Yes, this. Can anyone tell me about a special order a dining companion placed while out? I bet there have been plenty, but you can't recall a single one (unless there was some huge fuss made over it) because, well, it's just not that big of a deal.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:00 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
jillybean--great to see you posting. I actually love the packet of butter idea! Sad, but true at most of these functions.

Mashing up butter, cream cheese, and a splenda packet might make for an impromptu fat bomb. And if there's unsweetened cocoa powder for sprinkling on the coffee...
mom2zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:17 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
For future conferences (or other workplace meals), plan ahead - take along some low-carb food in your handbag, just in case they don't offer decent food. String cheese or other pre-packaged cheese cubes and hard-boiled eggs are all fine at room temperature. Most companies will offer some kind of salad option - just ask for dressing on the side, and pick off the croutons, then add your protein to it. At restaurants, order your bunless sandwich with a side salad and ask them to put the sandwich fillings on your salad. It seems to be less confusing to the servers.

The only comments I get are the well-meaning but maddening, "You're so good!" when I bypass dessert. If I don't make a big deal of it, no one else does, either. So relax..once you get used to eating for NK, you'll be more comfortable with eating out and forget about what other people might think. The best argument for NK is success - and no one will bat an eyelid if you order a bunless burger when you've gone down 2 sizes.
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:27 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tiva
Stats: 5"6", 157/136/135, 53 yo
WOE: Paleo/Whole30
Start Date: 12/02
Yes, it can be challenging. I travel to a ton of workshops and conferences, and I've been low carbing for years. I try to bring packets of macademia nuts and salamis and hard cheeses with me. I always tell folks that I'm gluten intolerant (but often that means they make a special dessert which is very carby, and I don't eat it, so I also tell them I don't eat sweets). At events with a continental breakfast, I eat the cream cheese and butter. At lunches, I eat the cheese and luncheon meats out of sandwiches if need be.

In Sweden this year, I just eat tons of smoked salmon and cream cheese, which seems to be everywhere at office functions!

In France, I find a shop and buy a triple cream brie and carry it with me whereever I go. Messy, but effective.

And I always get a small container of heavy cream when I arrive in a new place--in the hotel I keep it in an ice bowl, and during the day, I put it in my coffee and take a swig if I get hungry.

Last edited by tiva; 01-07-2013 at 11:29 AM..
tiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:40 AM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
I thought I was the only one who ate cream cheese and butter at conferences!
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:25 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

All I can say is thank god our culture loves its bagels. I scoffed so many packets of cream cheese to eat during the day! Butter is another option too.

Thanks for all the ideas, they are really helpful. The funny thing is that even though I didn't mention how "carby" the food was to anyone, everyone started talking about how "high carb" everything was. I think people did notice me spreading 5 packets of cream cheese on top of pieces of smoked salmon and wondering how I manage to stay thin..LOL. I was the only one doing that, although another women, did remove half the bread and ate open face sandwiches. So I wasn't completely alone with the LC idea.

Tips are so great from people who are experienced, I really appreciate the feedback. Thanks so much.

Last edited by Punkin; 01-07-2013 at 01:26 PM..
Old 01-07-2013, 07:30 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarbella
Stats: 241(pregnancy highest)/175/150(or 20-25%BF)
WOE: LCHF/NK my way
Start Date: Feb 2012
I know what you mean by those weird looks.I once had to eat just a handful of nuts and a piece of chicken from a large lunch conference and someone asked about it,I said I am trying to lose weight,and there was this priceless look on their faces like 'Duh' then why on earth are you gorging on nuts?

At hotels I order eggs,bacon and cream cheese,or eat butter that comes with toasts.Put half and half in coffee I bring splenda packets everywhere.
At sandwich shops,burgers,cheese,mayo and side of avocado if they have it.
Juicy fatty steaks are a good option too.

lunches at work can be pretty tricky.mine used to always order pizzas or Italian.I told them I have allergies and I would often excuse myself to make a quick run to the cafe to get a salad.Sure I would get weird looks that say,well just join us for the fun of it,but i just smile and back away.

If choices are few,better to bring along something than risk sabotaging.
remember we don't have to apologize or explain anything to anyone.
mini goal : 175 reached
mega goal : 170 : Combined weights of 3 pregnancies will be gone forever
mega goal : 150 :
mega goal : tone allover,close and repair my diastasis and hernia
Push yourself. Because no one else is going to do it for you.
lowcarbella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:16 AM   #22
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Georgette76
Stats: 210/200/150
WOE: LCHF/Nutritional Ketosis/Primal
Going out to eat, I don't have a lot of issues with restaurants. It's my spouse that I have issues with. I ordered fajitas at a restaurant once and when I asked for no tortillas or rice, he looked like he wanted to kill me. If I want fajitas, I go out wihout him. When it comes to the food at work, I just tell them I don't like it and eat whatever I bring or the next best option available.
Georgette76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:08 PM   #23
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SpoWa
Sometimes you need to be careful how you ask for special orders at fast foot places - I ordered a bunless hamburger in a bowl which turned out okay - but the server was put out that I would want a knife and fork. How DID she expect me to eat it anyway? LOL
SpoWa is online now   Reply With Quote