Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 12:38 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: unna
Stats: 230/155-160/tone
WOE: Primal LCHF
Start Date: January 2012
Fat Bomb Problem

I think the fat bombs sound amazing..... but they always contain either chocolate/cocoa or a nut butter.

Those are two foods I can't eat: any form of chocolate typically results in a cold sore, and nut butters result in itchy skin after a few days (I have a mold allergy). Also, if I have any type of nut butter in the house, it is ALWAYS on my mind.

Do you guys have any other fat bomb ideas? I would love to make a little tray of fat bombs to keep in the fridge as breakfast or lunch on the go..... dairy doesn't bother me....

Thanks!
unna is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2013, 02:16 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mobear
Stats: 235/195/LESS
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: 9/2010
This is a recipe from Linda's Low Carb Recipes website which I've used and really like. I've changed the vanilla extract to lemon and anise and like both of those.

CREAM CHEESE CLOUDS - Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes

If you have liquid splenda available, it lowers the carb count. I buy mine from Netrition under the name EZ-Sweetz, but don't know what you have available in Germany.
Mobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:40 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dazygyrl
i make fat bombs out of equal parts of butter and heavy cream. turns to something of caramel. very yummy!!
dazygyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:41 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/208/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
There is a lemon fat bomb that tastes awesome. It's post number 27 in this thread:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l-my-life.html

I'm going to try it with lime next time.

Last edited by Mistizoom; 01-02-2013 at 11:43 AM..
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:33 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
I made a pretty good fat bomb with a mix of coconut oil, butter and pumpkin seed butter, which is technically not a nut...can you use it? It has a very distinctive, "green" flavor that I don't find works well with chocolate, so I made these with curry instead. I also made a couple of savory fat bombs from the same batch, leaving out the sweeteners and adding curry powder and garlic salt. They were too strong to eat straight, but I found I could add them to cabbage sauteed in coconut oil for an instant thai stir-fry sauce. No fat bomb is ever wasted in my kitchen.

I second the citrus ketosis balls - I use True Orange packets and liquid splenda to get a real citrus bite. I also bought some candy flavorings this last week and made eggnog balls (a bit of nutmeg really sells the flavor on those) and a great blackberry-almond ketosis ball which tastes like real fruit. They're like little bites of ice cream, and full of healthy fats. It's easy to pass on the candy dish when I have those in the freezer.
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:15 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/208/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryKate View Post
I second the citrus ketosis balls - I use True Orange packets and liquid splenda to get a real citrus bite. I also bought some candy flavorings this last week and made eggnog balls (a bit of nutmeg really sells the flavor on those) and a great blackberry-almond ketosis ball which tastes like real fruit. They're like little bites of ice cream, and full of healthy fats. It's easy to pass on the candy dish when I have those in the freezer.
I was wondering how to do orange balls without using orange juice. True Orange is a great idea! I have those plus orange extract, I definitely will make some! Eggnog balls also sound great do you have a recipe for those? I did get some Capella eggnog drops in my Netrition order yesterday.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:23 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: paulalynn
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazygyrl View Post
i make fat bombs out of equal parts of butter and heavy cream. turns to something of caramel. very yummy!!
OMG...I love anything that taste like caramel. Is that it...butter and heavy cream? Do you heat it? Do tell...do tell....

Paula
paulalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:22 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulalynn View Post
OMG...I love anything that taste like caramel. Is that it...butter and heavy cream? Do you heat it? Do tell...do tell....

Paula

heat the butter till it turns golden brown. add cream and sweetener of choice. heat and stir while boiling till it turns thick. pour into a plastic wrap lined pan.

i have made it twice and had two different outcomes. it is a bit finicky, but very good. it may separate when you remove it from the heat, but i just get it poured and stick it right in the fridge.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:26 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: unna
Stats: 230/155-160/tone
WOE: Primal LCHF
Start Date: January 2012
I'm really loving all the ideas...... thanks so much!
unna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:38 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: EricaW
Stats: 230/205/150
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Dec. 2012
Oh my goodness -- I just made some of the cream and butter concoction -- soooo good. I ate most of it warm and left some to cool, just to see how it will taste in the morning. Will definitely make a bigger batch next time. I'm new to "fat bombs" and have been reading about them here on this site, wowza was that good!
EricaW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:20 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jillybean720
Stats: 324/193/150
WOE: LC/HF
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaW View Post
Oh my goodness -- I just made some of the cream and butter concoction -- soooo good. I ate most of it warm and left some to cool, just to see how it will taste in the morning. Will definitely make a bigger batch next time. I'm new to "fat bombs" and have been reading about them here on this site, wowza was that good!
What did you use as a sweetener? I just bought some liquid stevia I'm thinking of trying...
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:36 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Does anyone do savory fat bombs instead of sweet? I'm thinking something that includes mayo or soy sauce or some Thai chili sauce...my brain just isn't sure I could eat them cold/solid. Maybe the mayo ones. Hmm, butter, a little mayo, some crumbled cooked egg yolks, and maybe just a sprinkling of crumbled bacon? Or some bacon fat? I wish I had more time to experiment in the kitchen!
Old 01-06-2013, 08:20 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Jilly...I have been contemplating making my standard no bake cheesecake savory.

4 bricks cream cheese
1cup daisy sour cream
1/2 - 1 cup heavy cream

For sweet add vanilla and sweetener to taste.

For savory add seasoning of choice.

I put this on an almond flour/butter crust
Old 01-06-2013, 11:52 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the recipe, dazy!

I bombed a fat bomb experiment this morning. I tried butter, peanut butter (made with coconut oil), unsweetened cocoa powder, and some Truvia. I think the peanut butter may have started to burn...they taste icky.

I just hate sweeteners. I hate Splenda, have had no real luck with stevia (can't seem to not get the awful aftertaste), don't always want the cooling sensation of erythritol...the Truvia combination of stevia and erythritol seems to be my best bet so far, but I also try to avoid stevia when I'm pregnant (which I was last year and hope to be again sometime soon), so that leaves me at quite a loss. Hopefully, I'll be able to figure out a savory recipe (or a few of them) so I can rely less on sweeteners.
Weight goals currently on hold due to pregnancy...baby #2 coming late October/early November 2013!

Pre-pregnancy #2 weight: 193 (the day I found out I was pregnant)
Old 01-06-2013, 12:20 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mrs S
WOE: LCHF Vegetarian + Eat Stop Eat
Start Date: 8.13.12
Quote:
I NEED this recipe for eggnog balls. NEED. Pretty please with nutmeg on top?
Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:52 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tiva
Stats: 5"6", 157/136/135, 53 yo
WOE: Paleo/Whole30
Start Date: 12/02
Savory garlic cheesecakes are amazing. With bacon, they're even better.

5 cloves garlic, crushed and chopped then sauted gently in a little butter
16 ounces cream cheese
2 eggs
1/4 cup sour cream
seasoning: I like a little rosemary, salt and pepper
bacon (optional): 4 slices cooked and crumbled

Beat together everything but the bacon. Pour into a small baking dish (I use a 7 inch round glass one). Crumble the bacon over it, if you like. Bake at 350 about 30 minutes until soft but not runny (underbaking a cheesecake is better; I often use a waterbath to keep the cheese from curdling)

You could bake these for about 10 minutes in little individual cups for portion control
tiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:01 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Spinach dip, baked, is also a great savory fat bomb. I use 1/2 lb of cream cheese, 1 cup thawed, drained frozen spinach, 1/2 stick melted butter, 1/2 cup sour cream, 1 cup grated parmesan. Mix together. Add salt and pepper. Sprinkle some more parmesan. Bake until bubbly.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:03 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

And another great savory fat bomb that you can eat cold is garlic herb cream cheese. I just buy mine in the store, or you can crush garlic and mix that, plus your favorite herbs, together with cream cheese.

If you google garlic cream cheese, the first recipe that comes up looks yummy. It adds a lot of butter and parmesan.

Last edited by tiva; 01-06-2013 at 01:04 PM..
Old 01-06-2013, 04:01 PM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...heesecake.html
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:38 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/212/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
I made the butter/cream fat bombs today and they are so good. I used a combination of erithritol and liquid stevia and it turned out perfectly. Here's my ratios: 1/2cup butter, 1/2cup HWC, 1/4cup erithritol and 10 drops liquid stevia. I don't care for the taste of splenda so I always use this substitution in my recipes now.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:34 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, Tiva!
Old 01-06-2013, 06:06 PM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

so i don't know if this a new creation or not, but i made fat bomb soup!

1 1/2 cup chicken broth
1T unsalted butter
1T coconut oil
2 egg yolks

36g fat, 10 protein, 2 carb

heat the broth. add the oil/butter. with a stickblender, start blending and then add the egg yolks. was thinking, if one uses eggs to make mayo, why not blend it in broth to keep from having an oil slick. this was what i didn't always care for with coconut oil in my coffee.

it's sooo yummy! very creamy and a great hot drink that's not coffee or tea.

needed to keep my protein down a bit so didn't add any chicken, but for a meal, you could add chicken or meat of choice.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:23 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs S View Post
I NEED this recipe for eggnog balls. NEED. Pretty please with nutmeg on top?
Its very simple - mix 4 TB cream cheese and 4 TB butter (both at room temperature, so they'll blend well), then sweeten to taste - I usually use liquid splenda to keep the carbs down. I added about 10 drops of LorAnn eggnog candy flavoring (which Netrition sells), and ground fresh nutmeg into the mixture, then divided it among 8 mini-muffin cups and stuck it in the freezer. 10 minutes later it was ready to eat.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:28 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
Thanks for the recipe, dazy!

I just hate sweeteners. I hate Splenda, have had no real luck with stevia (can't seem to not get the awful aftertaste), don't always want the cooling sensation of erythritol.
Have you tried a combo of all three? I don't like stevia or erythritol on their own, but learned elsewhere on here that mixing sugar substitutes results in a more rounded flavor that gives you best of all the flavors, and takes less of all three.

1/3 C. sucralose + 1/3 C. erythritol + 1 packet Steviaplus =1 cup of sugar sweetness
Old 01-07-2013, 08:50 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Its very simple - mix 4 TB cream cheese and 4 TB butter (both at room temperature, so they'll blend well), then sweeten to taste - I usually use liquid splenda to keep the carbs down. I added about 10 drops of LorAnn eggnog candy flavoring (which Netrition sells), and ground fresh nutmeg into the mixture, then divided it among 8 mini-muffin cups and stuck it in the freezer. 10 minutes later it was ready to eat.
Thank you so much!
Old 01-07-2013, 10:38 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: melisa82
Stats: 5'6" SW 244 CW Too Much GW 160
WOE: LC
Start Date: 3/27/12
I made the Lemon fat bombs last night, and they are AMAZING! I don't think I will be making them often, as it's hard to just eat one serving.
melisa82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:52 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Have you tried a combo of all three? I don't like stevia or erythritol on their own, but learned elsewhere on here that mixing sugar substitutes results in a more rounded flavor that gives you best of all the flavors, and takes less of all three.

1/3 C. sucralose + 1/3 C. erythritol + 1 packet Steviaplus =1 cup of sugar sweetness
Truvia is erythritol and stevia, which is probably why it's my favorite so far. I'd like to try to keep sucralose out of my life as much as possible.

I made a batch of cookies last month using Stevia in the Raw (which I believe is actually stevia and maltodextrin as the bulking agent). They were AWFUL! Lesson learned on that one!

I have yet to try the liquid stevia drops I bought, but that wouldn't work in recipes where the bulk/quantity of sugar is needed (like the flourless cookies I make).

There's apparently just no perfect substitute for sugar. Stupid, stupid sugar

I know the real answer is to just stop eating sweets!
Old 01-07-2013, 11:10 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

I now always use a mixture of stevia and erythritol for my sweets. I find that powdered works a lot better than the granules, and different varieties taste quite different. So experimenting might be worth while, if you still want to make sweet treats.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:06 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I made these today with Capella eggnog drops and a splash a davinci eggnog syrup and truvia, plus a 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste, your ratio of cream cheese and butter and a heavy tsp of nutmeg. Holy guacamole, that are eggnog truffles. I'm in love and it might be a problem. I might have to get DH to ration them. Thank you again MerryKate!!
Old 01-09-2013, 06:46 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
Sorry to threadjack, but can someone just explain what is meant by a "fat bomb?" I just want to know what it means, so I can follow the conversation in this thread.

Thanks so much.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote