Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 03:22 PM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mrs S
WOE: LCHF Vegetarian + Eat Stop Eat
Start Date: 8.13.12
Fat bombs are typically little truffles or nuggets of high fat (and low/no protein, very low/no carb) ingredients blended together to taste awesome and help you up the fat ratio in your diet. They're little energy bombs. I find that if I have a couple, I can skip a meal or two easily.
Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2013, 10:47 PM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
Truvia is erythritol and stevia, which is probably why it's my favorite so far. I'd like to try to keep sucralose out of my life as much as possible.
Do you dislike the flavor of sucralose, or the fact that it's artificial? My biggest reason for using it is that it's relatively inexpensive and provides a lot of the bulk of sugar. Truvia's a good second, but the price isn't right yet. I've tried polydextrose as well, but cooking with it is like doing a science experiment every time...it's a little scary. ;D

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
I know the real answer is to just stop eating sweets!
If you can do that, you're a saint! I love sweet stuff, so I make OMMs, fat bombs, cookies and cheesecakes a part of my daily eating plan. So far, it hasn't limited my weight loss (thank God...I know for some people artificial sweeteners kick them out of ketosis). I figure if you can make an NK-friendly version of stuff you love to eat, you're going to be better able to stay on plan.
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:17 AM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryKate View Post
cookies and cheesecakes a part of my daily eating plan.
How do you make cookies on a LC/ketogenic diet? Don't you need flour? Please give us your recipe
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:45 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jillybean720
Stats: 324/193/150
WOE: LC/HF
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryKate View Post
Do you dislike the flavor of sucralose, or the fact that it's artificial?
Both, actually. I get an almost lemony/chemically aftertaste from sucralose. I also will hopefully be pregnant again later this year, and I ditched ALL artificial sweeteners during my pregnancy. I stayed low in carbs, avoided artificial sweeteners, avoided soy, avoided nitrites...and now, with a baby in the house, I'd like to be able to share foods with him and don't want to start feeding a young child artificial sweeteners, nor do I want to have to make two different versions of everything. I don't want him on a lot of sugar, anyway. He's 9 months old and hasn't yet had anything other than meats, veggies, full fat plain Greek yogurt, and small amounts of fruit (only fruit by itself twice; all other times, I mix it into the yogurt). Well, and formula.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
How do you make cookies on a LC/ketogenic diet? Don't you need flour? Please give us your recipe
I've done the flourless peanut butter cookies. Recipe is simply 1 cup peanut butter, 1 cup sweeteners, and 1 egg. I usually also add a little vanilla. Almond butter also works, which is lower in net carbs. I'm sure there are other recipes out there as well.
Weight goals currently on hold due to pregnancy...baby #2 coming late October/early November 2013!

Pre-pregnancy #2 weight: 193 (the day I found out I was pregnant)
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:35 PM   #35
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sunflwrgrl7
Stats: 246/238/170
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: December 3, 2012
I do equal parts coconut oil and coconut butter (technically I guess it's a nut butter, but it usually doesn't fall into the "nut allergy" category), with some sweetener and/or flavoring to taste (good with mint extract for "Mint Meltaways").

I also use equal parts sunflower seed butter and coconut oil (plus vanilla and sweetener to taste, and while I personally add a little chocolate, it's completely unnecessary) for nut-free "pb" cups. I like the taste of sunflower seed butter much better than actual peanut butter, so I prefer these.
sunflwrgrl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:40 PM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
We have a lot of cookie recipes in the Recipe Room here on the lowcarbfriends bbs - check it out. They usually use nut flours in place of wheat flour, so you'll need to keep an eye on portion control so your protein intake doesn't get too high.

My current favorite is a chocolate spritz cookie I developed off of the Savannah Smiles recipe over at Your Lighter Side (google it - Jamie is a genius and her recipes are worth seeking out.) They come out at 0.6 carbs and 1.5 g protein each, so I can have a few as a snack. The nice thing is, they don't trigger cravings for me, so portion control is a cinch. My non-lc friends like them, too, so I know the flavor is good!

Last edited by MerryKate; 01-11-2013 at 10:41 PM..
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote