Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/)
-   -   What is MCT? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/792574-what-mct.html)

heidihomom 12-30-2012 06:04 PM

What is MCT?

What is MCT?

Mistizoom 12-30-2012 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heidihomom (Post 16161044)
What is MCT?

I believe it is medium-chain triglycerides.

luigi_uk 01-02-2013 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heidihomom (Post 16161044)
What is MCT?

I believe it's concentrated coconut oil, correct me if I'm wrong :)

Georgette76 01-09-2013 02:14 PM

Medium chained triglycerides are good fats. Coconut oil is a great source of it. You can actually purchase MCT as well. I try to have at least one tbsp of them per day.

Michael J 01-26-2013 08:40 PM

The MCT in MCT Oil stands for Medium Chain Triglycerides. These are special types of oils that the body can easily access for energy. I've heard them described as, "almost like carbs".

They are popular with some athletes, as they can be used in place of glucose-based energy paks or drinks to help with performance. They are also common with low-carbers as ingestion usually results in a dark purple reading on the ketostix after a short amount of time.

Some people report a "thermic" effect after ingesting. Often they are aware of or report an increase in body temperature ("feeling hot!"), etc.

Coconut oil is a common source for MCTs among low carbers, as it is ~65% MCT oil by composition. Wikipedia is a great place to start for additional details on MCTs: Medium-chain triglycerides - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

MerryKate 02-02-2013 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael J (Post 16221784)
Some people report a "thermic" effect after ingesting. Often they are aware of or report an increase in body temperature ("feeling hot!"), etc. [/url]

I was wondering if anyone else experienced that. After I eat coconut oil I definitely feel warmer in my core - almost like the fat on my abdomen is being melted for use. :lol: I'd also add that coconut oil is energizing, so it's probably best to not eat it just before bedtime.

mojocat 02-03-2013 12:57 PM

The bodybuilder's MCT oil is a very refined one which is a mixture of coconut and palm oils. It's tasteless, however it's very rich and filling. I like having it in my coffee and salad dressings. It supposedly turns straight into an energy source for the body.

mizzcase 02-03-2013 03:04 PM

Is the calorie/nutrition count the same as coconut oil?

mojocat 02-04-2013 12:36 AM

Depends on the brand - it ranges from 100 to 118 calories (i.e. NOW brand states 100). CO has 117.
CO has 65% MCT's but when its refined with the Palm Oil it is 100%. It supposedly is converted into energy immediately and assists in ketosis and fat burning. I find it gives me a "buzz" of energy before sport and help with hunger when fasting. I love it but it's quite expensive; a little goes a long way.